James Earl Jones is Darth Vader in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' started by Mondragon, Jun 23, 2016.

1. MurkeNyou Registered

Funny thing, in the comics, he has gone back to Tatooine. And...
    He slaughtered so many Sand People and ended up becoming a Legendary Dark God to them. Current Marvel Canon storytelling. It's just that despite the meme 'Annie no Like a sand?' nitpicking, he has gone back, and when he does have to go there (because the Emperor likes torturing him) makes everyone just as miserable as he is for being there. Especially Sand People.

The edict came down loud and clear, make Vader 'not quite' Forced Unleashed power levels, but he can take on a Army alone. I have no issue with that either. He needed the redemption.

2. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

Yeah, I agree. The suit looked too clean to me. For a film that did such a nice job of tying into Ep. IV, I was surprised they let that go.

3. MurkeNyou Registered

Well, it could get dirty on the ride over. Like an extinguisher hit him.

4. JackWhite Third Man

That Vader scene at the end. Dear lord that was so, so good. It makes me want a film mostly about Vader just being a boss and taking names and the inner workings of the Empire.

I agree, his suit was a little too squeaky clean.

5. Brian Braddock R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

As much as I love him, we know that Anakin/Darth has a tendency to succumb to the old red mist. Christ, this is a guy who ignored the tremendous advantage his opponent had when they took the high ground and had his legs cut off as a result so if he sees red and elects to mow a few guys down and misses his objective in the process then its not exactly out of character. :funny:

That's absolutely genius - made my day, that has.

6. scarlet-witch Stormborn

loooooooooooooooool that photo!

7. terry78 I'm not cap'n crunch, fool

In reality he'd be using his force push to make it rain. Total inaccuracy in that photo.

8. Sawyer High King

Found on Tumblr...
    :awesome:

9. Supa Registered

My favorite part is the scene at the end where you see the dark hallway, with nothing in it, and then Vader illuminates himself with his lightsaber.

The control panel on his life support has blinking lights on it, and there's no reason why a 7 ft tall cyborg with a very loud and very distinctive breathing would have a stealth function. Which means the conclusion is Darth Vader literally turned off the machine keeping him alive for the purpose of a dramatic entrance, just one more bit of proof that every Skywalker is a huge drama-queen.

10. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

Really enjoyed hearing JEJ's voice coming from Darth Vader again. Just felt right.

11. Filmfan93 The Man in Black

Good observation, but I think you are looking a bit too much into those details.

12. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Man, that final Vader seen literally had my jaw on the floor. It was amazing seeing him unleash again and be totally bad ass.

It's made me want a Vader movie set between ROTS and Rogue One, showing him hunting down the last few Jedi after ROTS.

13. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

Towards the end you can here a brief bit of the Imperial March just before A New Hope theme and the Skywalker/Force theme

14. Karelia Always Hold On To Smallville

Their was a recent comic book that came out where he does that. I think it'd make a pretty sweet movie. or The Force Unleashed story. Starkiller vs Vader on the big screen....:hmr:

15. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Never played TFU, but the comic sounds like a great idea for a movie. Have Vader as the main character and develop the relationship between him and Palpatine more.

16. Enriquespy Registered

That's the fun of it!!!

17. BH/HHH You Are My World

My only problem was I felt Vaders neck looked too chunky

18. WoodyROM Registered

So I'm late to the party (just saw it yesterday), but man oh man was it good to get a glimpse of Vaders power onscreen finally.

I do agree his neck looked off, in fact the suit in general just didn't feel quite right. But that is a very minor complaint, I freaking loved the film

19. BH/HHH You Are My World

Agreed :up:

20. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

That was literally my only complaint about him in the movie.

21. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

I'm trying to determind where exactly Vader's castle is located on Mustafar
    [​IMG]

Is it ground zero site where he lost his duel to Obi-Wan in Episode III?

22. righthooksrus86 Registered

James Earl Jones is a legend. Vader's line warning Krennic not to choke on his own apsirations is pure gold.

23. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

The Imperial March (Darth Vader) suite including Rogue One and the saga

#323 The Caped Knight, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  24. Gold Samurai Registered

Well he just got out of the shower :p

This theme sounds very Episode III. I wish it was in Episode III.

25. Elayis Registered

So the final Vader scene has been confirmed to be a part if the reshoots.

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-rogue-one-darth-vader-scene-reshoot/

I know I'm in the minority, but I didn't care for that scene. Not only does it feel tacked on and oddly incongruous with the rest of the film, but it doesn't feel earned by Vader's presence in the film. He's a side show, a bit of fan service that doesn't add anything to the story. That scene only works in the larger context of the saga, if Rogue One is your first Star Wars film it has no meaning or impact.

At this point I think it's pretty clear, as with Suicide Squad, that 11th hour studio misgivings led to major story restructuring, and coincidentally John Gilroy was involved in both projects. Rogue One was luckier with critical and audience reception, but to me show very clear signs of lack of a singular vision that compromises the artistic integrity. It appears that both weren't starting from a good place to begin with, but the filmmaking-by-committee approach to the final product just further damaged the end result.

I'm curious to see what Rogue One's legacy will be in 10+ years time. Will it still rank as highly as some people here currently put it, over TFA and some of the OT? Obviously people judge movies by different criteria (story, characters, tone, fan service, etc.), but I wonder how the film will be perceived once the hype dies down and it becomes just another Star Wars movie. Will the callbacks and action and Star Wars-yness be enough?