'Batman and Robin' brings a 'game-changer' for Bruce Wayne

FCEEVIPER

Rubber bullets. Honest
Reaction score
batsrob1xlarge.jpg
batsrob2xlarge.jpg
By Brian Truitt, USA TODAY
Bruce Wayne is officially taking his Batman business international.

After "dying" in Final Crisis and time-traveling his way back to the present in writer Grant Morrison's The Return of Bruce Wayne limited series, the millionaire-turned-superhero reveals himself to Gotham City at large as the financial backing of all things Caped Crusader in Batman and Robin No. 16, in comic shops today.

He also tells Gotham, "Batman's war against crime goes global tonight," a mission statement that will play out in Morrison's new Batman Incorporated series launching Nov. 17.

"It's a game-changer," says DC Comics editor in chief Bob Harras. "It does fundamentally alter the way Bruce Wayne presents himself to Gotham City. Up till now, he's been known as the playboy, and with this reveal, he's really stepping up and saying, 'I'm going to be socially responsible and involved in battling crimes by funding Batman.' In that sense, things are definitely changing in the Batman mythology.

"There are going to be changes to Bruce Wayne. There has to be."

What his hometown still doesn't know is that he has been the guy under the cape and cowl fighting the likes of the Joker, Penguin, Mister Freeze and Two-Face for decades, and while Wayne has now put a face to Batman to a certain degree, Morrison sees this as the "ultimate deflection."

"Bruce is definitely doing this for a reason, and it's to maintain his secret identity in a new way," Harras says.

The end of Morrison's run on Batman and Robin also marks the culmination of a long-term plan for the character the Scottish writer began in 2006's Batman arc "Batman & Son," revealing his son — and current Robin — Damian Wayne, and continued in "Batman R.I.P.," which introduced Morrison's own notorious Bat-villain, Doctor Hurt, a guy who comes close to the Joker in terms of sheer insanity.

Harras calls it the reinvention of Batman for the 21st century. "Going back the last few years, what Grant has been doing — taking all these elements of the Batman story lines from way back when, and the ones he remembers from when he was a kid, and reintroducing them into the current mythology — has really shaken up the whole Batman line."

As for Dick Grayson, the Dark Knight's first Robin, who took over the Batman mantle when Bruce Wayne was gone, Harras promises that he will still be Batman. "You see how that progresses," Harras says.

"Bruce is approaching crime-fighting in a whole different way. He's seeing what's working, and he's seeing that he has to change things from how he's done things in the past. It's the evolution of Bruce's point of view."

So, how many Batmen will there be worldwide? Harras isn't spilling, but he teases, "That's going to be an ongoing part of the story line. What is Bruce going to do? What is actually his vision of Batman Inc.? How does that change things across the world?"

What's for certain is that there will be some crossover in the Bat-titles, and there will be new series and creative teams as well. In addition to Morrison's Batman Incorporated, David Finch's Batman: The Dark Knight begins Dec. 8; Tony Daniel brings an international flavor to Batman starting in Issue 704 on Nov. 17; and the zero issue of J.H. Williams' Batwoman makes its debut Nov. 24, the same day writer Peter Tomasi starts his run on Batman and Robin and Scott Snyder teams with artist Jock as the new men behind the long-running Detective Comics series.

"This is a story about Bruce Wayne, Batman and his friends," Harras says. "There will be ripple effects across the line."

And don't rule out Wayne putting the cowl back on once in a while if the need arises, Harras says. "I would say that Bruce would never be afraid to put on the suit."

batscoverxlarge.jpg

Last edited:
This is so stupid. Absolutely idiotic. Bruce Wayne is not Tony Stark.

Batman is a vigilante, not a corporate mascot. This is just...ugh, this is the same **** Morrison pulled with X-Corp. God, I hate his work.

:lmao:

Oh god! This is dumb! Batman is NOT IRON MAN! Hell even Iron Man is just one guy and not an army. This is something the Adam West show would have done

Oh hurrah, a new session of "MORRISON IS DESTROYING TEH BATMAN!" *****ing. It's only been 5 minutes since the last session.

I was more interested in Bruce's reaction to Damian being the current Robin and I'm glad to see how's proud of him. I was hoping to see them become the Batman and Robin instead of Dick and Damian.

Bruce traveling abroad to find international heroes to bear the Bat symbol is something that would suit Dick more. Dick has defended Bludhaven and has a more global view than Bruce, who's bound to Gotham. Dick could carry out Batman Inc. with Red Robin and Batwoman while Bruce, Damian, and Stephanie hold the fort in Gotham.

This is truly an influence from Iron Man more than anything else. In Smallville, Green Arrow has revealed his identity in public.

I've disagreed with a lot of aspects of Morrison's run, but I am looking forward to this a lot, sounds fun and certainly more practical than what Batman's been doing for the last 70 years.

Oh my God, a post that is logical and sane instead of hysterical and mindless! You don't belong on the Batman forums, get out! :awesome:

Oh my God, a post that is logical and sane instead of hysterical and mindless! You don't belong on the Batman forums, get out! :awesome:
I'm not sure if this is directed at me, but if it is, thank you. Though it seems I can't leave since Batman is going to be everywhere soon anyway.

if it were anyone other than morrison doing this, i would not be very apprehensive. but his batman run has been nothing but gold and i trust that this is going to be awesome.

This is so stupid. Absolutely idiotic. Bruce Wayne is not Tony Stark.

Batman is a vigilante, not a corporate mascot. This is just...ugh, this is the same **** Morrison pulled with X-Corp. God, I hate his work.
I can't wait till Morrison is off the Bat-books. :brucebat:

In all honesty, if there was a good reason for him to say that to the faces of millions of people, then why not?

But hell, this is dumb. How can you justify such a decision? Put yourself in a Gothamite' shoes now. You've got this athletic giant of a man telling you he's financed Batman for years. Now what do you know about Batman? He's tall and strong, like Wayne. He appeared onto the scene roughly at the same time Wayne came back from a mysterious exile somewhere abroad. That is public knowledge. Any two-cent journalist could find that information.

It is the first lead ever to surface about what's happening underneath the cowl, how can DC justify it by saying it will preserve Wayne's identity?

Is the purpose of a secret identity not about keeping those close to you safe? About being able to walk out in the sun without being taken down by a million of angry mobsters? What Wayne just did is destroy all that. He will now be the target of everybody who's ever held a grudge against Bats, because they will think they can get to him through Wayne or the people close to him (what a great idea to have all the Wayne clan out in the open during the big reveal).

This is the most stupid thing he's ever done. And that would only be half as bad if it didn't also feel like some major commercial twist to boost sales up. "Hey look, Wayne revealed he had ties with Batman. That's some groundbreaking s**t right there."

Gosh... I'm so glad we're still able to read something else than Morrison's *****e.

In all honesty, if there was a good reason for him to say that to the faces of millions of people, then why not?

But hell, this is dumb. How can you justify such a decision? Put yourself in a Gothamite' shoes now. You've got this athletic giant of a man telling you he's financed Batman for years. Now what do you know about Batman? He's tall and strong, like Wayne. He appeared onto the scene roughly at the same time Wayne came back from a mysterious exile somewhere abroad. That is public knowledge. Any two-cent journalist could find that information.

It is the first lead ever to surface about what's happening underneath the cowl, how can DC justify it by saying it will preserve Wayne's identity?

Shouldn't they have been able to figure out Batman's identity then? As you said, any 2 cent journalist could make those connections, then they should also be able to make the connection that Batman needs lots of money and Bruce has lots of money. Really, in the world of Batman, it wouldn't be all that hard to figure out Bruce either had a connection to him or was in fact Batman.

Anyways, I doubt Bruce is concerned about people attacking him, I'm sure he's got plans for that. :o

Batman is a international crime fighter already, but he wants to now start to organize his own league internationally. His recruited Batmen may not immediatly realize that Bruce = Batman, but will know who is financing them.

Batman is a vigilante, but he's also the member of Justice League along many other teams.

Because there are so many Batmen? The public clearly haven't noticed that for a year now there has been a different Batman. Only the people closely working with the new Batman know this.

Is the purpose of a secret identity not about keeping those close to you safe? About being able to walk out in the sun without being taken down by a million of angry mobsters? What Wayne just did is destroy all that. He will now be the target of everybody who's ever held a grudge against Bats, because they will think they can get to him through Wayne or the people close to him (what a great idea to have all the Wayne clan out in the open during the big reveal).

If only Bruce had protection like the Justice League, right? Oh wait, he does.

Bat Fans are ignorant as hell about their own favorite character, lol

Bat Fans are ignorant as hell about their own favorite character, lol

Seriously I'm just laughing my ass off at all the people crying for blood over this. I mean never mind that this is the comic book medium which has always asked the reader for a level of suspension of disbelief. This is why we buy for years that Iron Man is Tony Stark's bodyguard; or that people who have closely worked with both know that Clark Kent and Superman are well acquainted. Yet never pieced the whole thing together even though they have never been seen together.

Or that this is the same DCU where the public knows that Wayne Enterprises has contributed to the JLA's cause, aside from other previous connections to Batman alluded by Wayne himself in past stories. Like geesh at least see where this goes before you say "WORST **** EVER". I'm indifferent to it myself. It does open some interesting possibilities from a writer's stand point though. Let's see how deep Morrison mines the concept.

I'm looking forward to this, it's about time Batman's status quo was shaken up a bit, and Morrison's doing a fine job at that. His run has been so well crafted and very enjoyable, I have faith that this upcoming arc will be well done. As for the common people connecting Bruce to Batman, of course they will, but I'm sure Bruce is ready for that. Not to mention, Tommy Elliot is still sporting his face. I'm sure he'll use that as an advantage.

Dammit......I wish had had the money to afford comics again:csad:

Sometimes I really hate being a californian :csad:

I can't wait till Morrison is off the Bat-books. :brucebat:

Yeah I hate him too. I was having a perfectly good time reading the same ol grim and gritty comics where Batman is a one note grunting jackass and being bored to death by the staleness and stagnation, and along comes Morrison and what happens? VARIETY! SUSPENSE! Stories that acknowledge that Batman wasn't created by Frank Miller in 1986! And where Bruce Wayne is actually an interesting character instead of his supporting cast and villains being more interesting than him!

WELL THIS MADNESS HAS TO STOP! I SAY WE BARGE DOWN HIS HOUSE AND HANG HIM BY HIS HEELS!!!!! :awesome:

Yeah I hate him too.
I don't hate him, I just don't like his "shock and awe" method of storytelling.

I was having a perfectly good time reading the same ol grim and gritty comics where Batman is a one note grunting jackass and being bored to death by the staleness and stagnation,
I was having a good time too, but not sarcastically. :woot:

and along comes Morrison and what happens? VARIETY! SUSPENSE!...And where Bruce Wayne is actually an interesting character instead of his supporting cast and villains being more interesting than him!
That was there WAY before Grant came along, believe it.

Stories that acknowledge that Batman wasn't created by Frank Miller in 1986!
No, Batman was created by Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams in the 70's. :bow:

I SAY WE BARGE DOWN HIS HOUSE AND HANG HIM BY HIS HEELS!!!!!
Nah, just send him over to Marvel. :awesome:

BARGE?

Last edited:
I don't know what I enjoy more, absolute ridiculous abandon in which Morrison writes, or the absolute ridiculous abandon in which people complain about it.

Either way, I hope Morrison stays on the batbooks until my son's hair turns gray.

All the haters need to read this. It explains why things lead to Inc, and how it all plays out in Morrison's metatext.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/08/31/two-batmen-batman-inc/

At the end of the day its only temporary and it explores new themes, so what's the problem? And its not like Stark at all. He exposed his identity for politics or personal exposure. BW does it so that he can help his cause as Bruce (see how Wayne tower will house labs for the police from now on, as stated by Tomasi), not for personal gain, or anything like that. Besides, he didnt reveal his identity, just that he's funding Batman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"