The Return of Bruce Wayne

Grant Morrison interview

- RoBW deals with the Wayne family history and Gotham. Morrison really did wanna do Gladiator Batman in Rome, but then realized he had to limit himself with Gotham.
- Damian was suppose to die off in R.I.P originally, but the idea was canceled.
- after RoBW we're jumping into Morrison's next new idea that will shake the status quo once again.
-
CA: So with Batman coming back, what's that going to mean for Dick Grayson? After you've been Batman, what else can you do that isn't a demotion? Where do you go from there?

GM: This is the big launch after "The Return of Bruce Wayne," so I don't want to say too much, but it's a completely new take on the Batman status quo. It's like that scene where Damian asks, what happens when Bruce Wayne comes back? We don't get to be Batman and Robin? Because I felt, and I think readers felt that they were really cool as Batman and Robin, and you don't want to lose them straightaway. So you'll see what happens.

- He wishes to see Bruce Wayne as more alive breathing man, not just the decoy of Batman.
-
CA: Do you see "Return of Bruce Wayne" as the new Batman origin story?

GM: To a certain extent, it's almost replacing the death of his parents. That's never going to go away, but this is giving him something else where Batman grows naturally and spontaneously out of something else after the death of his parents... That's what I like about it – the idea that Bruce Wayne just becomes Batman. You can't stop him becoming it.

Respecting the origin :up:

This is one of the best Batman stories I've ever seen in comics.

fair enough, it's most certainly shaping up that way.

already, RIP, and indeed the build up to it, has been some of the best work done on Batman in the character's history

Man I squealed like a girl after reading Booster Gold #31 yesterday should've known somehow that Rip would be involved with this. Anyway Morrison's run has surpassed the likes of Steve Englehart and Gerry Conway to me now which is no easy feat, he's still second to Alan Grant though.

However if he keeps going as he is he may just surpass Mr. Grant's work across 'tec, BATMAN & Shadow as my all time fave run on the character. The last 3 years have been an absolute joy for me as a Bat fan I've enjoyed everything he's done in it's meticulous yet fun nature. A nice departure from how I was feeling with the books after Bruce Wayne: Murderer.

Grant Morrison's philosophy on comics

- Grant Morrison is NOT Oberon Sexton. He confirmed this.
- He wants to do more 50s Batman. Fightning aliens and more colorful, but he wishes to do this on more more realistic, contemporary light compared to the Silver Age lightness.
- Bruce's return is a big part of a plotline, and it might not necessary be a good thing that he's returning... Whatever Morrison means by that. :p
- All Bruce's relatives are based upon comics. Morrison's done his research. :up:
- Bruce confirmed to return shortly after #16
- 5th arc (Batman and Robin MUST DIE) arc pulls Damian and Dick to their worst situation yet!
- Morrison notes how Batman must always in the end be Bruce, in his 30s, having a Butler and a Batmobile. So yeah just noting this for the people still thinking #666 is actually happening. (Not saying Morrson can't conclude his run the same way he did New X-Men, but yeah don't except a Damian Batman monthly :p)

Also David Hine will be writing Detective Comics for the next 4 months after June's issue with Dennis O'Neill

So yeah. Now we got Batman & Robin, Batman, Streets of Gotham AND Detective Comics to focus on Dick. >_> ***** everywhere.

Morrison is talking about bringing back that more 50s Sci-fi Batman where he fights Aliens and stuff, but with more realistic tune ofcourse. I gotta say that sounds pretty exciting, and hey people who wish to read Batman fightning mobsters can always enjoy Street of Gotham and Detective Comics. So the fanbase wins as awhole. :) Variety. <3 It's actually pretty weird why DC didn't come up with something like this years ago, ah well always gotta start somewhere, am i right? :)

I can't wait for Bruce to return, this comic series is sure to be a great read. Pirate Batman looks very interesting, but than so does the western one!:yay:

I can't wait for Bruce to return, this comic series is sure to be a great read. Pirate Batman looks very interesting, but than so does the western one!:yay:

I told one of my friends who is just kind of a casual follower of Bats that there was going to be a pirate batman in RoBW and he said' "OK, well that's just super badass"

It's actually pretty weird why DC didn't come up with something like this years ago, ah well always gotta start somewhere, am i right? :)
They sorta did in the early 00s where the Batman title focused on the superhero, fantastical stories where as Detective Comics focused on the more noir, mystery stuff. But, the idea lasted like, a few years - not very long.

It was that way in the 90's too outside of the events. BATMAN had more horror influenced and fantasy based stories, SHADOW was the book that focused more on stories with the ensemble cast. 'tec had more grounded and closely involved case stories and LEGENDS focused on elaborating more on the backdrop of the post-crisis mythology.

It was that way in the 90's too outside of the events. BATMAN had more horror influenced and fantasy based stories, SHADOW was the book that focused more on stories with the ensemble cast. 'tec had more grounded and closely involved case stories and LEGENDS focused on elaborating more on the backdrop of the post-crisis mythology.
I never really noticed that between Batman and Tec', but Legends was always obviously set in the past. I didn't know Shadow of the Bat was supposed to be a team up book, because aside from Prodigal and Troika, the issues I have of that are all solo Batman stories.

I never really noticed that between Batman and Tec', but Legends was always obviously set in the past. I didn't know Shadow of the Bat was supposed to be a team up book, because aside from Prodigal and Troika, the issues I have of that are all solo Batman stories.

Not so much a team up book as it was more a book where his supporting cast had a much involved and larger role which happened in many of those stories. Hence the title of the series, it focused more on also showcasing those that SHADOW Batman than 'tec, Legends or the self titled book did.

Shadow of the Bat and Legends of the Dark Knight were the ****...

Issue one has been out since yesterday for those who don't know. It was ok felt kinda like a "thud" of a beginner than a "bang", not the best start for Morrison but we'll see where the Puritan issue takes it. Liked the tie-in to the Time Trappers Vanishing Point series and other DCU easter eggs though. That last quote by you know who was extra powerful cause it makes me wonder where Morrison is going to go with that.

I think this is one of those series where every issue will have a different type of enjoyment, almost like an anthology with an underlying story attached.

I thought it was a great start, and the art was beautiful. I'm very excited for the rest of the series. It's gonna be awesome.

First issue was pretty good, I am anxious to read the rest and see what Morrison has in store for the Batman legacy including Dick, Damian, Tim, and Bruce.

CA: So with Batman coming back, what's that going to mean for Dick Grayson? After you've been Batman, what else can you do that isn't a demotion? Where do you go from there?

GM: This is the big launch after "The Return of Bruce Wayne," so I don't want to say too much, but it's a completely new take on the Batman status quo. It's like that scene where Damian asks, what happens when Bruce Wayne comes back? We don't get to be Batman and Robin? Because I felt, and I think readers felt that they were really cool as Batman and Robin, and you don't want to lose them straightaway. So you'll see what happens.

My thoughts, I think Bruce will assume he can simply step back into his role as Batman but Dick won't give it up that easily and I think it will deteriorate into Bat vs. Bat.

I'm sorry folk but I must say that after reading the first issue of RoBW...I would gladly read a monthly "Caveman Batman" book by Morrison and Sprouse.:woot:

IDK, Im wondering if were going to wind up with Bruce and Tim in gotham and Dick and Damian elsewhere, both operating as Batman & Robin

This issue was much better more "Morrisonian".

Even in the timestream Batman could still own his friends and we finally see the origins of the Wayne family curse.

My thoughts, I think Bruce will assume he can simply step back into his role as Batman but Dick won't give it up that easily and I think it will deteriorate into Bat vs. Bat.

what?
FC1563891913.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"