Batman Begins Vs. Iron Man

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by StormC, Jul 3, 2017.

?

Batman Begins Vs. Iron Man

1. Batman Begins

2. Iron Man

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Skrilla31 Registered

Iron Man easily.

2. DACrowe Registered

Happily surprised to see Batman Begins ahead. It is the best origin film of all time and one of the top 5 superhero movies ever. Iron Man is good... but i expected it to win because it was MCU and Begins is no TDK.

Anyway, yes, Batman Begins is not a flawless movie due to a third act and an overuse of dialogue repetition by Goyer... but it is still damn good. In fact, it is bloody great with a wonderful performance by everyone in the movie sans Holmes, and Bale being exceptional. It also captures the tone of Batman comics while tapping into a timeless sense of crime drama seediness in a thick cinematic vocabulary. It feels like it knew it was a classic from the word go.

Iron Man is fun and a solid movie that gets buoyed up by Downey's performance. No contest.

#27 DACrowe, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  3. Mjölnir Guest

I had the completely opposite expectation. Looking at this forum Batman and Superman absolutely dwarf everything else when it comes to activity, which has a clear link to popularity, so the odds were in Batman's favor.

I agree the Begins is no TDK though. It's better. :cwink:

4. def28 Registered

Both are top notch origins imo.

I think this one comes down to tone and character preference. Both represent some of the best modern superhero films had to offer. They excel in different areas and have flaws in others. Don't really buy this no contest or one is easiy better then the other like that's the general reaction or something. But I'll give the edge to Batman cause it's had more replay value for me personally.

#29 def28, Jul 3, 2017
  5. StormC Custom User Title?

Something that I think really distinguishes IM from other CBMs was the direction. Favreau shot it like a 150M indie comedy, with the actors constantly improvising. There's no way a bid budget tentpole would be done like that today.

6. The Batman The Dark Knight

Batman Begins. It has a better supporting cast, villain, and visual style.

Iron Man has the flashier lead and better superhero intro scene, and thats basically it.

Also, Batman and Gordon's rooftop convo >>> "I Am Iron Man"

7. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

Iron Man was a breath of fresh air at the time with an incredible lead performance, but as a complete film it isn't at the level of Batman Begins. I think Iron Man has both a better lead and a (much) better female lead, but almost literally everything else is better in Batman Begins.

8. Kreem Pi Registered

Begins is critically flawed. Iron Man stands comfortably above it.

9. Squaremaster316 Registered

Batman Begins!

Iron Man was just the poor man's version that came along 3 years later.

10. Grommers King Grommers

Mine is Batman Begins but I still feel iron man is the best MCU movie to date. It's about the only one I ever re watch I just feel it's biggest set back is the same as almost if not all marvel films is depth of villain. But it was one of the only MCU films I really didn't know or could tell if someone was gonna die and the suspense was there.

11. DACrowe Registered

Most big budget comedies in the 2000s shot with improvisation, and many, many blockbusters are shot without incomplete scripts. It's just that few actually end up as good as Iron Man wound up being.

I am not trying to takeaway from Iron Man. It actually is a very good movie with an amazing (and industry changing) lead performance. Just saying the environment that made it wasn't ideal, so that's not so much a virtue as a burden it overcame.

#36 DACrowe, Jul 3, 2017
  12. Timebomb Registered

I've got to go with BB. I love both films but It's a great Batman film. RDJ is Iron Man though, great performance.

13. StormC Custom User Title?

Shot without an incomplete script, you say? :sly:

Favreau's background in comedy helped bring out the best of his actors, I think. Iron Man lacks that studio feel of every scene being carefully tested over and over until it works; it's slick and effortless.

14. Khaos Registered

Iron Man is pretty much a one man show. I know for a fact that a lot of people watch Iron Man movies simply because they find RDJ sexy and cute. Mostly girls, who don't even enjoy CBM's that much. This is not to say the movie is bad, because it isn't. I just think RDJ is by far the most interesting element of the film, and every other element is simply mediocre.

15. DACrowe Registered

Touché. On both counts. It was shot without a complete script (heh). But you are right that Favreau's experience on Swingers and the like show up. He does infuse a life to it in spite of that setting, creating a great tone. And I will go one further, there is some real tension and suspense in the third act, which is rare for almost every movie Marvel Studios made afterward.

16. Grommers King Grommers

I'm actually surprised BB is winning this.

#41 Grommers, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  17. Osiris-Rex Head-Kick

Batman Begins because it has Batman in it. Iron Man didn't have Batman in it. So major points taken away from Iron Man because of the lack of Batman.

18. Khaos Registered

Every movie would be better with Batman in it.

19. Osiris-Rex Head-Kick

And some of the bad movies Batman was in would be even worse without Batman. Like Batman & Robin and Batman v Superman. Clooney as Batman and Affleck as Batman
    were about the only good things in those movies. Having Batman in the Catwoman movie might have even made that movie slightly watchable.

20. OutOfBoose #ReleaseTheAyerCut

Iron Man is very good but Batman Begins is the best origin film.

21. m2k Registered

Iron man for me. Although much lighter in tone, it encapsulated a comic book movie come to life that is just refreshing. In the same sense, I still regard Spider-man 2 as the greatest superhero movie still just above TDK.

22. XtremelyBaneful Rest in peace, Fahim Saleh

23. JackWhite Third Man

This.

24. Mr.T Registered

Love Begins, but it's easily Iron Man for me.

25. The_Manhunter Zack Snyder & MCU Fan

As much of a DC die-hard as I am, I voted for Iron Man. Both were very good but introducing the shared universe for the first time puts IM in front.