Batman R.I.P.

Yeah, it's a total get out basically. It's like yeah here's your story. Oh, and I forgot to mention actually everything is the complete opposite. Surprise.

The worst thing was when Alan Moore "revealed" that the Swamp Thing has never been Alec Holland but a kind of plant elemental who absorbed Holland's essence. While his run is probably one of the best ever done as an on-going comic book I am still disgusted by this movie.

Sometimes this approach makes good stories (for example, Vader being Luke's father) but most of time it totally sucks. (for example, Leia being Luke's sister).

Why did it disgust you?

Yeah exactly. It'd be like finding out Thomas and Martha never died, it'd ruin the entire mythos.

because it made all stories that were before a big lie.

The Swamp Thing became a completely different character.

i'm sorry, but i have to disagree.

Alan Moore saying that Swamp Thing was essentially a plant being that absorbed Alec Holland's mind was a big nut kicker to the character, and a rather tragic one as well. Especially for the reader. I thought the explanation was well done as well. Swamp Thing was essentially Alec Holland's mind that didn't know Alec Holland was dead.

It didn't make all the past stories a lie. It just made them a waste of time. He spent all that time trying to figure out a way to become human again using science and found out that he couldn't. And in that, he realized that as elemental being, he could become so much more than what he was, and thats why Moore's run is great. It's actually my favorite run of comics ever, actually.

Now back on topic, i don't really like what Morrison is doing. I think i've finally realized what most of it means, like Bat-Mite being a figment of Batman's imagination in the chamber. and this whole Death Of thing could very well be an isolation chamber side-effect as well. I just don't find it really all that exciting.

Meh, if he's gonna do it he should at least *do it* to leave us dangling, and now to mess around with all this cryptic bull... I dunno, it's just pointless.

I prefer those massive cross-over arcs like NML and such...

i'm sorry, but i have to disagree.

You have the right to do so, Sir!

Alan Moore saying that Swamp Thing was essentially a plant being that absorbed Alec Holland's mind was a big nut kicker to the character, and a rather tragic one as well. Especially for the reader.

Tragic, maybe. But if Batman realized that he was an asylum inmate all the time it would be tragic, too. But would it be good? Would it feel "right"?

It didn't make all the past stories a lie. It just made them a waste of time. He spent all that time trying to figure out a way to become human again using science and found out that he couldn't.

And that's why they are a lie. It was never planned that way, it just came "out of the blue".
And in that, he realized that as elemental being, he could become so much more than what he was, and thats why Moore's run is great. It's actually my favorite run of comics ever, actually.

It is great, I've said it before. And it is one of the best regular comic runs ever. But it leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Like I said, making Darth Vader Luke's father was a great move, but at the same time it made Obi Wan a bloody liar.

all of you folks are acting like we're never gonna see Batman again!

Take him for what he is!

A friend to Gotham City... a way to keep Gotham from going completely to hell!

BATMAN WILL NOT LOSE ALFRED... he will not lose the batcave, batmobile, gadgets etc. THAT ALL MAKES HIM BATMAN!

it will be fine!

Calm down

You have the right to do so, Sir!

Tragic, maybe. But if Batman realized that he was an asylum inmate all the time it would be tragic, too. But would it be good? Would it feel "right"?

And that's why they are a lie. It was never planned that way, it just came "out of the blue".

It is great, I've said it before. And it is one of the best regular comic runs ever. But it leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Like I said, making Darth Vader Luke's father was a great move, but at the same time it made Obi Wan a bloody liar.

Well, if Batman realized he was an asylum inmate wouldn't feel right as it would negate everything that came after. It would be Morrison just messing around with continuity. But if he wanted to, as im positive Robin is never shown, let alone mentioned, in Arkham Asylum, i suppose Morrison could write Arkham Asylum into happening recently, rather than it was supposed to. But it would be a stretch. And it would just piss me off that i spent money on an arc that not only didn't make sense, but didn't even matter.

With Swamp Thing, i still don't see it as a "lie". Maybe to the character, but isn't that the point? It makes more sense with Swamp Thing finding out he's actual a plant elemental God with the mind of a man who doesn't even know he's dead than a guy in an asylum but doesn't know it, probably due to some goofy scientific explanation that dates back to the silver age. I mean, in one of the early Swamp Thing issues, he gets his arm hacked off and it grows back. If he was a man underneath the moss, his arm was gone. I think it might have been purposely left ambiguous from the get-go, but who knows. But the fact that he overcame that and became a God was just a fascinating idea. Not to mention, the Swamp Thing additions made by Moore were far more interesting than what Morrison is currently doing. But maybe that's because Wein/Wrightson & Moore's Swamp Thing runs are retrospectively considered brilliant, and i'm currently living through Morrison's Batman run. So maybe if i were around during the original run of Swamp Thing, i'd feel the same as you. But right now, i thought it was a brilliant move on Moore's part.

^ Do you mean the one shot book? 'Cause Robin was mentioned in the early drafts, and Joker mentions him by name 'How is the boy wonder, started shaving?'

I still feel sad, everyones hating on Morrison, and Dinni is making incredible stories, so hy hasn't Dinni got something big?

With Swamp Thing, i still don't see it as a "lie". Maybe to the character, but isn't that the point? It makes more sense with Swamp Thing finding out he's actual a plant elemental God with the mind of a man who doesn't even know he's dead than a guy in an asylum but doesn't know it, probably due to some goofy scientific explanation that dates back to the silver age. I mean, in one of the early Swamp Thing issues, he gets his arm hacked off and it grows back. If he was a man underneath the moss, his arm was gone. I think it might have been purposely left ambiguous from the get-go, but who knows. But the fact that he overcame that and became a God was just a fascinating idea. Not to mention, the Swamp Thing additions made by Moore were far more interesting than what Morrison is currently doing. But maybe that's because Wein/Wrightson & Moore's Swamp Thing runs are retrospectively considered brilliant, and i'm currently living through Morrison's Batman run. So maybe if i were around during the original run of Swamp Thing, i'd feel the same as you. But right now, i thought it was a brilliant move on Moore's part.

But the Swamp thing became some "mystical" creature, while originally he was just a tragic travesty of a man, a pure horror character. And what's with the hacked off arm? Well, this is comic book logic.

You cant compare the two. Obi Wan kept the secret from Luke to PROTECT him, so he wouldnt fall to the darkside out of the whole wanting to get to know his father thing. Obi Wan had the right to keep it from luke, cause look wasnt strong at first, he was weak and his mind was weak, if luke had known his father was darth vader he might have sought out vader and become the one thing vader became.

it is

1098_4_124.jpg

Greatest comic cover ever! :woot:

BM-Cv678_solicit.jpg

BATMAN #678
Written by Grant Morrison
Art by Tony Daniel & Sandu Florea
Cover by Alex Ross
Variant cover by Daniel

Part 3 of "Batman R.I.P."! Batman's mysterious adversary has won. All is lost for the Dark Knight. Bruce Wayne is now deranged and dissociated, wandering homeless in the alleys of Gotham City. Is there a chance that Bruce can rebuild his Batman identity from scratch, or is this truly the end for one of the world's finest heroes?
Retailers please note: This issue will ship with two covers. For every 25 copies of the Standard Edition (with a cover by Alex Ross), retailers may order one copy of the Variant Edition (with a cover by Tony Daniel). Please see the Previews Order Form for more information.
On sale June 25 o 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

Well that explains the R.I.P. thing. :up:

ROBIN #175

dc-in-june-08-20080317005549004.jpg

The events of "Batman R.I.P." carve a path of destruction through Tim's life, threatening to rip apart the entire foundation of what made him choose to take on the role of Robin in the first place.

Tim's on the run and, with Batman's life at stake, he can't afford to make one misstep. Don't miss Part 1 of a shocking 2-part story that will irrevocably change Tim Drake's present as Robin…and his hard-won future as Batman.

They mean that as in, when Bats retires or whatever. The future we'll never see in continuity.

My guess anyway.

oh, god. batman becomes a homeless guy? what? no one recognises bruce wayne?

nonsense. bruce has always been strongest in the mind. that's his super power, his mind. his detective skills, his determination, his planning. this adversary that "wins" better break him down pretty damn comprehensively. it better not be this third man devil batman. he's very poorly written, and is very much an inducer of the old eye-roll syndrome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"