BATMAN: Safe Haven for Those Who Demand More

If you're not going to make Clayface a giant monstrous shapeshifter, then you're settling for less. The visuals alone are worth it.

Catwoman, I feel, doesn't need the tail. She needs to be athletic, but not overly inflated, if you know what I mean and I think you do. There is only so much my heart can take.

Joker needs the color purple. Purple is the color of royalty. Joker is the Clown Prince of Crime. It fits.

Two Face needs half a face that would give Freddy Kruger nightmares. I'm not sure about the half black, half white dress scheme, unless he makes his own outfits. For some reason that appeals. Oh, and he bases his decisons on a coin flip. He never reflips.

Killer Moth needs to stay away from bug zappers. Yeesh, what a mess he'll make.

The Riddler has that damn ridiculous mask thing going on. I'm not saying ditch the costume. Rather, he delivers his riddles using a computer animated avatar that appears just like his classic costume.

OR, he's hired a bunch of henchmen and they all dress a like. Damn near duplicates. That might work as well.

Maybe both. I don't think it's been done that often in Batman, and I don't think it's out of character.

Hopefully none of this has strayed into unforgivable.

I'd be happy if Riddler had that green suit, derby hat, and jacket thing he had in the early TAS days. Now THAT was classy. It wouldn't break my heart if he ended up in the skintight leotard, but that suit is pimp.

It would also not break my heart if they actually just cast John Glover to play Riddler. Just give him a shave and a haircut, throw a green domino mask on him... Johnny-boy's been trapped in the not-so-great Smallville for ages and damnit, I don't want the only comic book movie he got to do be Batman & Robin (luckily, he didn't embarrass himself too much because the part was only really a cameo)!

Cullen said:
If you're not going to make Clayface a giant monstrous shapeshifter, then you're settling for less. The visuals alone are worth it.

Catwoman, I feel, doesn't need the tail. She needs to be athletic, but not overly inflated, if you know what I mean and I think you do. There is only so much my heart can take.

Joker needs the color purple. Purple is the color of royalty. Joker is the Clown Prince of Crime. It fits.

You're a good man, Cullen. :up:

Two Face needs half a face that would give Freddy Kruger nightmares. I'm not sure about the half black, half white dress scheme, unless he makes his own outfits. For some reason that appeals.

And now I'm reconsidering. :mad:

I didn't say his suit had to be plain black and white. I'm not opposed to it, but I'm not insisting that it be black and white. I do insist, for the purposes of this thread and in terms of what I expect from a Batman movie, that Two-Face wear a suit that is split between two distinct colors and/or patterns.
When you say "unless he makes his own outfits," what does that mean? You mean he has to sew his own clothes? Feh! It is much, much more accurate to the character for Two-Face to force a high-end tailor to do it for him. He should flip his coin to see whether he'll actually pay for it, with an option to shoot the guy if it comes up bad heads, to remove a witness. Personally, I'd have it turn up good heads, to demonstrate that it is in fact all about the coin, not just about his mood swings.

Oh, and he bases his decisons on a coin flip. He never reflips.

God damn right! :up:

Killer Moth needs to stay away from bug zappers. Yeesh, what a mess he'll make.

Nice non-sequiter.

The Riddler has that damn ridiculous mask thing going on. I'm not saying ditch the costume. Rather, he delivers his riddles using a computer animated avatar that appears just like his classic costume.

OR, he's hired a bunch of henchmen and they all dress a like. Damn near duplicates. That might work as well.

Maybe both. I don't think it's been done that often in Batman, and I don't think it's out of character.

I don't even know what the hell you're talking about. Delivers his riddles with an animated avatar? So, that means he doesn't actually show up anywhere?

I'll say it one more time: Riddler wears a green costume with question marks on it, and a purple or green eyemask. Period!!!

Hopefully none of this has strayed into unforgivable.

That last one is seriously pushing it. Behave yourself or be destroyed!!

And thanks for posting. :o

:wolverine

Zev said:
I'd be happy if Riddler had that green suit, derby hat, and jacket thing he had in the early TAS days. Now THAT was classy. It wouldn't break my heart if he ended up in the skintight leotard, but that suit is pimp.

It would also not break my heart if they actually just cast John Glover to play Riddler. Just give him a shave and a haircut, throw a green domino mask on him... Johnny-boy's been trapped in the not-so-great Smallville for ages and damnit, I don't want the only comic book movie he got to do be Batman & Robin (luckily, he didn't embarrass himself too much because the part was only really a cameo)!

Oh yeah, that suit is classy. I'd also give him a green bowler hat. Also, the question mark cane. In my movie, he would definitely be modeled on the Animated Series version. I personally would not choose John Glover for the part, only because he doesn't really look like the Riddler. While he did a great job with the voice, that's not something only he could do, and I'd be going for the whole package. I'm sure I could find a good role for John Glover somewhere in the franchise, though, because he is a good actor.
I'd have the Riddler show up in person at a lot of his crime scenes, making sure his goons do the job right. He may or may not have female bodyguards.

I'd probably base most of the villains on the Animated Series, especially the Joker, the Riddler, Two-Face, Mr. Freeze and probably the Scarecrow to a degree.

I think I would definitely have Killer Croc in one of the movies, either as hired muscle or an a minor villain (either solo, partnered with someone else, or running his own small crew) in a brief robbery/fight sequence. His look and voice would be largely modelled on the 'New Batman/Superman Adventures" version.

I might also want to use Firefly as a minor "action villain," possibly as a hired arsonist working for someone with more profile. He'd have a jetpack and a reasonably faithful costume.

Scarface's voice and behavior would be very close to what it was on the Animated Series, Scarface although I'd feel obligated to use his actual speech patterns from the comics, where he can't throw B's and substitutes them with G's (ex., "Gatman and Rogin"). If George Dzundza looked anything like Arnold Wesker, I'd definitely choose him for the part. I honestly didn't think it was him doing the voices for both Wesker and Scarface. He's just that good. Hell, I'd be fine with dubbing Dzundza's voice for Scarface and leave Wesker's voice to whoever was actually playing the Ventriloquist on screen. One reason I'd insist that he have a part somewhere in the franchise, other than the creepiness and comedic value, is that he's the perfect fusion of film noir and psychological disorder villainy. Perfect for a film franchise that tries to capitalize on all the major cinematic themes of the Batman mythology.
Scarface/Ventriloquist would definitely have to be a mastermind villain, not any kind of hired help. It would be extremely disrespectful to lower his competence and take away his criminal brilliance. Hell, keeping him faithful is all that's needed to put down any anti-source material non-fans who think that using him is to "corny" or "unrealistic." Why would any sane criminal work for a guy who speaks through a dummy and actually thinks they're different people? Because he's a God damn genius and they need a planner to make a successful criminal career. It's also extremely creepy, the idea that within this timid, largely useless guy is an alternate personality that is not only much more forceful, but smarter than the original (I assume) personality.
I would say he'd be a major villain, but it would be alongside other criminal mastermind vilains doing their own thing, or possibly a team-up. While some villains don't make sense teaming up (Mr. Freeze working with anyone else in his first movie, for example), there's infinite room for hilarious character interactions between Scarface and anyone else.

I'd have the Penguin resemble the 'New Batman/Superman Adventures' version (which is what he looked like in the comics originally), not the hideous freak-baby version, but a little bit bulkier-looking than in the cartoon after the revamp. I want him to be able to actually fight a little. He would most likely also have gorgeous female bodyguards in scandalous outfits (not God damn kabuki makeup like in 'The Batman'), with the implication being that they could be dancers in one of his clubs (there would be no stripping, although they could imply that the Penguin owns a strip joint).

I think I mentioned before that after the second Batman movie, Harleen Quinzel would show up at Arkham Asylum and work closely with the Joker, so while I don't want Harley Quinn in the first movie with the Joker, there's every reason to include her. And oh yes, there would definitely need to be at least two hyenas (sp?) named Bud and Lou in their Ha-Hacienda.

Mr. Freeze would have a badass, armored, realistic exoskeleton. By "realistic," I only mean that there would be jointed pistons, etc. on the outside of the suit like the real-life strength-enhancing frames that actually do exist-- it would be designed to appeal visually to sci-fi and engineering buffs, not anti-source material cowards that want watered-down supervillains. Unlike in the 'New Batman/Superman Adventures' and 'Batman & Robin,' Mr. Freeze would not have supermodel-eque henchwenches in fur jackets, unless that's something he had often in the comics before 'Batman & Robin' came out. As an addition to the mythos, it doesn't strike me as making a lot of sense with his character theme, unlike with the Penguin, Joker or Riddler.

Herr Logan said:
You know what happens when you guys don't respond or propose or discuss anything? I start clicking on the "New Posts" link. Know what happens then?

I end up seeing threads that speculate about Nolan's Movie!Two-Face where multiple people say horrible, senseless things like how it would be "unrealistic" and "gimmicky" for Two-Face to wear a suit that's two different colors, split down the middle!!

Dear god in heaven, please stay away from the Nolan boards. Those fanboys are the most twisted sycophantic sheep I have ever encountered. I've seen these kids go on rants about how powerful Christian Bale's eyes are, and thus that they can never be covered by (sweet ass) lenses. There is actually a thread made only to discuss which villains wouldn't work in the films. Those guys just aint right, and it's best to avoid them.

That said, I just went over there and found something pretty interesting. I was hoping I might save others the trouble of visiting those boards, but I see I am unfortunatley too late. Anyway, these are supposed concepts for Batman's costume in the next Begins sequel:

DecoBat.jpg

DECObatman1.jpg

To be perfectly honest, I feel that they are an improvement from what we've got so far. It's still a ways from what I'd want, but it's nice to see that they are at least moving in the right direction. How do you guys feel about them?

I feel it incumbent to mention that I finished Nightwing, so if anyone wants to read a more or less faithful "Nightwing: Year One" have at it.

As for villains that wouldn't work in a Batman movie, Ten-Eyed Man. I think I read a story about him once. He got power from being able to see behind him. With his fingers. Hey, I can see reflections in the corner of my eyeglasses, but I don't go around calling it a superpower.

Killer Croc should look like what he is, a guy with a really bad skin condition that resembles a crocodile's hide. He shouldn't have a tail and a snout and look like a dragon, is what I'm saying. He should look more like he could be the villain in a slasher movie. Just hire Kane Hodder, throw some groovy make-up on him, and be done with it.

I don't know if Firefly would work as a minor action villain. His costume and methods (flamethrower AND jetpack) are so exotic that I don't think audiences would accept him just showing up for one action scene. I think with a little work, he could be the main villain's righthand man, similar to Kronen from Hellboy or Darth Maul from Star Wars.

In fact, an action sequence of Firefly setting fire to a building (maybe the Iceberg Lounge, if he's Penguin's minion) and trying to escape, Batman pursuing him, the chase eventually taking to the skies ala On Leather Wings... that would be pretty *****in'.

And as for Joker having a purple tuxedo and Two-Face having dual-colored outfits... How can you possibly complain about that? I can at least understand complaints about people wearing skintight spandex, but these are actual clothes that are just a bit more garish than usual (which fits, considering these are supervillains! They don't go around attending high tea, they go around breaking stuff!). I mean, even Schumacher gave Two-Face a two-colored suit. Schumacher. I don't know how someone can even admit to being or wanting to be less faithful to the comics than Schumacher. That's just like... whoa. I mean, that's like saying that the plot of the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie is too complicated. I never thought I'd see the day where people would say that a Disney movie is too byzantine, too complex, for their minds to follow, but... sheesh. And don't even get me started on the people who complain that the movie has no ending... because it ends on a cliffhanger. That's the whole point, you morons! Did Empire Strikes Back have an ending? NO! Did Back To The Future 2 have an ending? NO! Did the Two Towers have an ending? NO! You had to see the third movie to get the whole story! That's the main idea of the trilogy! Now, you want to talk about no endings, let's talk about Harry Potter! Six books so far, each one of them ends with "we've won a minor victory/suffered a minor defeat, but Voldemort is still out there." SIX BOOKS, NO ENDING! Let's see some shame on that one. Harry Potter, the hero who wins because his mommy loves him.

This is still a Batman thread, right?

Okay then.

Poison Ivy, I don't really care, as long as she's wearing something made of plants and scanty. That's pretty much been the only criteria of her costume for decades now and if you can't get that right, why are you even bothering?
Step 1. Cast a hot actress.
Step 2. Make her look hot.
THAT'S. ABOUT. IT.

The Darwyn Cooke costume for Catwoman seems to have stuck on, so I say go with that. It's a bit more functional than the purple bodypaint Jim Balent "no, she's not naked, because I'm not drawing her nipples" tailed costume. Besides, I'd like to see Herr Logan's head explode like one of those Star Trek robots when he tries to comprehend a costume that is both faithful to the comics and made of leather. "DOES NOT COMPUTE!"

kame-sennin said:
Dear god in heaven, please stay away from the Nolan boards. Those fanboys are the most twisted sycophantic sheep I have ever encountered. I've seen these kids go on rants about how powerful Christian Bale's eyes are, and thus that they can never be covered by (sweet ass) lenses. There is actually a thread made only to discuss which villains wouldn't work in the films. Those guys just aint right, and it's best to avoid them.
I know. I need help to stay away. It's like how I didn't used to be able to avoid checking up on 'Law & Order: Special Victims Unit,' 'Smallville' and that comic strip "Family Circus;" I have a morbid fascination with terrible and/or disturbing content.

I guess I've made my thoughts on those people and their twisted philosophies known. Just wanted to reinforce my views on that and how it applies to the law of this sacred land.

Yeah, the whole "which villains wouldn't work" thing is ridiculous. As I've said, the only reason I would claim any given villain "wouldn't work" in my film concepts is directly based on whether he/she would "work" in the story being told. Again, that has nothing to do with it being a "realistic world" or whatever bull$hit people want so desperately to believe, but with the actual plot. I'm fine with having several separate plots going on, but there are still going to be a finite number of disparate subplots a storyteller can handle (that is not advocating people being lazy or underambitious, it's just my own way of reminding myself not to bite off more than I can chew, which I'm very predisposed to do). I don't think it's necessary for every villain plot to be intertwined, but it's a good thing to do when it faithfully reflects the characters (i.e., what certain characters would do in a faithful story, what they could reasonably accomplish and whom they would or would not team up with; for example, I don't know if it ever happened in the comics, but I have a hard time believing that a focused zealot like Poison Ivy would work with someone like the Joker or Victor Zsasz, but I can see opportunistic masterminds like the Penguin or Scarface working with almost anyone, within reason) and can fit in a well-made movie plot.
I know that villains like Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze could "work" in a movie if the filmmakers wanted to do it right. Hell, even Man-Bat and Clayface could. I just feel that those latter two characters should take a backseat to other primary villains more "deserving" of the screentime by virtue of their history with the Batman, who just happen to not have superpowers. If a person cannot blend science fiction and/or over-the-top theatrics with the gritty crime story atmosphere of Gotham City, then they have no business making a Batman movie, period! You either accept the mythos or you don't. Yeah, you can leave all kinds of high-profile events and milestones of the history out, and of course you must, but you should never, ever exclude major themes that have always been present in the primary medium in which the fictional property has thrived for decades. The Batman mythos is not just film noir, psychological thriller and martial arts. It's also sci-fi and melodrama.

That said, I just went over there and found something pretty interesting. I was hoping I might save others the trouble of visiting those boards, but I see I am unfortunatley too late. Anyway, these are supposed concepts for Batman's costume in the next Begins sequel:

DecoBat.jpg

DECObatman1.jpg

To be perfectly honest, I feel that they are an improvement from what we've got so far. It's still a ways from what I'd want, but it's nice to see that they are at least moving in the right direction. How do you guys feel about them?
Wams did that, right? I think those are damn cool drawings.
Not faithful enough for the true Batman, but more so than Nolan's rubber suit.You pretty much summed it up with, "It's still a ways from what I'd want, but it's nice to see that they are at least moving in the right direction."

The first one is really not something I'd ever consider. There's no need for that "segmented shell" appearance. It's supposed to be fabric, people. It's not spandex, but it's also not rigid armor. It's Nomex and Kevlar, woven to be flexible enough for gymnastics and acrobatics. Period!

Wait... looking again at the colored version of the second one, I think that's actually really cool and not too far off from the real thing. I guess I could tolerate those seams on the bodysuit if it had to be a package deal (and I'm not saying it would be, I'm just saying if).
The belt seems built into the shorts. That works just fine with my concept of the shorts being a rappelling harness that connects to the belt. I'd prefer the belt be essentially separate in its basic form and connected to the harness with keepers, rather than built in, but if it was this whole package over the suit they're using now, I'd pick this one with no hesitation. Pretty much everything is just the right color (except I could go a bit darker with the belt segments), he's got lenses in his mask (again, I don't want to hear any bull$hit about how an actor needs his eyes to play the Batman, as any actor and/or director who can't do the job right has no business being paid for the job they perform... the Batman isn't a soap star, he's a masked vigilante, and "emotion" is not what he's know best for!), the nose/beak isn't out of control like it is in 'Begins,' the cape has scallops and is just the right length, and overall it looks damned iconic.

Then again, one should never only consider things as package deals; there's always room for improvement. I'd definitely get rid of those seams, leaving him with a more organic look. I'd also change the boot shields so they didn't come up over the knee in one piece or have those points jutting out from the body. Furthermore, I'd make the ankle section more flexible and overall have everything resemble (in good lighting, which will not always be the case) armored boots used in military and law enforcement, not segmented steel plates. I'd have steel shanks where necessary (like in the boots and shins) and an overall flexible design, since he needs it to be as versatile as he is in the comics. The same goes for the gloves in terms of jutting points and length, and I'd also get rid of the knuckle studs. The Batsuit in the comics (as told by 'Batman: The Ultimate Guide to the Dark Knight') has smooth pouches of crushed lead shotover his knuckles, which adds force to his punches.
If I was to use the bat/elipse (it's not an oval, kids, it's a friggin' elipse), I'd make the bat bulkier, basically making it the trademarked Bat-symbol from the earlier Batman movie logos.

I don't remember if Wams or someone in his thread actually suggested this or if it was my idea that was inspired by this drawing when I first saw it months ago, or if I've mentioned it before in a Safe Haven thread, but here's an idea:
The yellow elipse behind the Bat-insignia could actually be a section of the costume that lights up. This is, of course, to draw attention to himself, and despite what any source material- hating heathens want you to believe, the Batman clearly wants people to see him, or else he wouldn't dress the way he does. He uses stealth, but only when he wants it. The great thing about the Batman is that he's the perfect blend of stealth and theatricality. It's just fecking heresy and stupidity to overlook the latter aspect, especially when all these studio apologists who use that pathetic argument against the concept of a gray bodysuit clearly love the movie which blatantly drove home that very point. Anyway, it can draw people's attention and/or blind them temporarily, and if it's very dark out, the place will seem even darker once the light goes out, and he's free to come at his prey from another angle entirely, misdirecting them. It could also replace his flashlight in an emergency, either if he can't reach it or has lost it or has both hands occupied and can't keep it in his mouth (the flashlight I'd have him use is a combination of his old miniature light and his current one: it has a rubber mouth-grip for easy hands-free use, and it also fits over a gloved finger and stays there; very versatile). However, he should prefer using his miniature flashlight, since it's more precise and easier to control, and he should also prefer his flashlight to using night-vision (which his mask lenses provide, of course) if what he's viewing is close up and indoors.
This chest-light could also be used like Spider-Man's spider-signal, both announcing his arrival and also pointing at defeated criminals when the cops arrive (and he'll disappear right after they see what he's indicating). This isn't a feature I'd insist on, but it's an option. Tell me what you think.

I don't think much of Wams as a person (we're not going to talk about why in here, so if you want to discuss it, use PMs), but if he's the one who actually drew those pictures, he's definitely got my respect as an artist.

Thanks much for posting, Kame-sennin. :up:

Zev said:
I feel it incumbent to mention that I finished Nightwing, so if anyone wants to read a more or less faithful "Nightwing: Year One" have at it.
Congrats! :up:

As for villains that wouldn't work in a Batman movie, Ten-Eyed Man. I think I read a story about him once. He got power from being able to see behind him. With his fingers. Hey, I can see reflections in the corner of my eyeglasses, but I don't go around calling it a superpower.
I've never been a long-time avid collector of Batman comics (until a couple years ago, I guess, when I realized that Marvel Comics were no longer worth paying for but felt I still had to buy at least one thing per visit to the comics store if I was going to keep reading various comics while there), but I've done a good amount of research on the mythos as a whole. If I haven't heard of the Ten-Eyed Man, and he requires as much origin/exposition as I assume he would, then he probably shouldn't be in a Batman movie. Again, it's not about the "reality" of it, it's about... I dunno... "street cred" or whatever. Again, if I ain't heard of this guy, he's a nobody, so leave him out if he can't be anything but a cameo that doesn't raise too many questions.

Killer Croc should look like what he is, a guy with a really bad skin condition that resembles a crocodile's hide. He shouldn't have a tail and a snout and look like a dragon, is what I'm saying. He should look more like he could be the villain in a slasher movie. Just hire Kane Hodder, throw some groovy make-up on him, and be done with it.
I don't know who Kane Hodder is.

Since when did Killer Croc have a tail? Of course there wouldn't be a tail. Not unless I'm wrong about him not being known for having a tail in the comics.

I'd have him be a very large man with leathery, greenish-gray skin, abnormal bone structure, especially around the face (I'm not talking about a snout, I'm talking about making him somewhat resemble the original BTAS version, with those monstrous jaws), and yes, he'd have sharp teeth. He'd also have abnormally great strength, just like in the comics. This is a character who was born that way (physically speaking... that doesn't explain his antisocial behavior necessarily), so he doesn't require a lot of backstory (like Clayface or Man-Bat, who were created, not born monsters). Say he was born a freak, very likely abused throughout his early life and now he's a stone killer with near-inhuman strength. Nothing about that that "wouldn't work." Not in the least.

I don't know if Firefly would work as a minor action villain. His costume and methods (flamethrower AND jetpack) are so exotic that I don't think audiences would accept him just showing up for one action scene. I think with a little work, he could be the main villain's righthand man, similar to Kronen from Hellboy or Darth Maul from Star Wars.
I still think he would work just fine as a minor villain. He isn't a mutant or superpowered, he just uses high-tech equipment, like many other supervillains, so there doesn't need nearly as much time devoted to explaining his existence.
He'd have fire bombs a-plenty, napalm and a fully loaded military-issue flamethrower. It may be tricky to fit both a jetpack and a flamethrower on his back in a "realistic" fashion, but if not, screw it! Invent something new and don't both explaining where it came from beyond being stolen from a "military warehouse" or "WayneTech R & D storage." He doesn't need to be a disgruntled WayneTech employee, either. Wikipedia doesn't say what job he had in the comics, and I'm not up to further reasearch than that right now, but either find something from the source material that even half-way explains his access to such equipment, make something up that makes sense, or yeah, take the easy way out and make him a WayneTech employee. He should definitely have a mask that looks bug-like. I wouldn't trouble myself over mentalic wings and so forth, if he was just a minor villain, but I'd give him a decent-looking fireproof armor suit. While I think it's important to have the Batman exposit his fire-based paraphilia (pyromania) and mention his gift for invention, which establishes him as another fine member of the citizenry of Gotham, I see him as more of an action villain. Even with the hardcore pyromania issues, I don't find him that interesting, or at least as deserving as other villains of a more complex plot. I think the job of arsonist for hire works well because it allows him to make money doing what he does best, which keeps him paid enough to keep his arsenal stocked.

In fact, an action sequence of Firefly setting fire to a building (maybe the Iceberg Lounge, if he's Penguin's minion) and trying to escape, Batman pursuing him, the chase eventually taking to the skies ala On Leather Wings... that would be pretty *****in'.
That would be great. I still think it would work just fine as a "pure action" sequence, or at least as "pure action" as it gets with the Batman, which should always "tainted" with a briefing or debriefing with the Batman expositing profile information that includes real-world psychology whenever possible.

And as for Joker having a purple tuxedo and Two-Face having dual-colored outfits... How can you possibly complain about that?

I can at least understand complaints about people wearing skintight spandex,
Which is why I always keep an eye on you...
but these are actual clothes that are just a bit more garish than usual (which fits, considering these are supervillains! They don't go around attending high tea, they go around breaking stuff!). I mean, even Schumacher gave Two-Face a two-colored suit. Schumacher. I don't know how someone can even admit to being or wanting to be less faithful to the comics than Schumacher.
That's just like... whoa. I mean, that's like saying that the plot of the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie is too complicated. I never thought I'd see the day where people would say that a Disney movie is too byzantine, too complex, for their minds to follow, but... sheesh. And don't even get me started on the people who complain that the movie has no ending... because it ends on a cliffhanger. That's the whole point, you morons! Did Empire Strikes Back have an ending? NO! Did Back To The Future 2 have an ending? NO! Did the Two Towers have an ending? NO! You had to see the third movie to get the whole story! That's the main idea of the trilogy! Now, you want to talk about no endings, let's talk about Harry Potter! Six books so far, each one of them ends with "we've won a minor victory/suffered a minor defeat, but Voldemort is still out there." SIX BOOKS, NO ENDING! Let's see some shame on that one. Harry Potter, the hero who wins because his mommy loves him.
I suppose after two and a half hours of high-budget action, the new 'Pirates of the Carribean' can end on a cliffhanger, but only if the next one comes out no more than a year later. I heard tell that they filmed this one and the next one back to back (it was in response to me ranting when I heard that Keith Richards wasn't in this one but the next one, which set me off about how they couldn't afford to wait, since the man could keel over or crumble to dust any day now!!), so I damn well do expect them to leave it hanging for no more than a year. That would just be disrespectful.

If the Harry Potter movies end on a cliffhanger, it's because the books do, so that's an issue with the books, and they should not be changing the movies that much. Hell, I don't even cotton to major changes to a decades-long comics franchise adaptation, much less movies made for individual novels (no matter how freakishly long). So yeah, that's my defense of Harry Potter cliffhangers, but 'Pirates of the Carribean' doesn't have that security, if we're talking about more than a year's wait. It's all about the source material; does the Disney World/Land ride end on a cliffhanger? Seriously, I've never been on it... does it??

This is still a Batman thread, right?

It damn well better be!

Okay then.

Poison Ivy, I don't really care, as long as she's wearing something made of plants and scanty. That's pretty much been the only criteria of her costume for decades now and if you can't get that right, why are you even bothering?
Step 1. Cast a hot actress.
Step 2. Make her look hot.
THAT'S. ABOUT. IT.
Agreed. About the appearance, anyway.

As for her part in a movie made by me, if any, I'll admit that I'd be pretty careful which "killer plant" effects I'd use. Whether it's subconsciously related to "realism" or not, the reason is because her effects are often either not interesting or embarrasingly bad. Yes, I think the "sentient vines" could work well, if the filmmakers really want it to. Even a giant mutant Venus Flytrap. I guess I just would demand that if I was going to use Poison Ivy and her classic tricks, I'd want those tricks to actually look scary. Let's face facts, if someone could create and control creatures like that, it would be pretty feckin' scary. If you can't imagine it being that way, then you aren't trying hard enough. Yes, it would take a lot of effort and competence to do it right, but if any given director/producer/whatever isn't up for it, then they should just admit that instead of claiming any "realism" bull$hit. There's nothing wrong with overlooking a character like Poison Ivy for the sake of convenience or lack of confidence in one's ability to capitalize on the available budget in relation to the challenge at hand, as long as the person doing this has the balls to admit it's not about "realism" or even suspension of disbelief. What belief are we supposed to suspend? Only if it was a period piece that took place well before 2001, there's no God damn way a character like the Batman could exist and not get caught, so let's not dwell on what can or cannot "work" in terms of sci-fi/fantasy elements.
Poison Ivy's big plan could be engineering or altering existing plants to produce something much more toxic to humans than oxygen or CO2 (but harmless to plants, of course) after absorbing CO2. Her ability to manipulate people through the use of pheromones, expertise with poison and immunity to most toxins makes her a pretty formidable villain, too. Hell, using any female character who coldly and confidently manipulates men adds to the noir elements, regardless of whatever sci-fi elements are present, so in a way, she's another prime example of a Batman villain. I'd still feel compelled to have her to use some form of "sentient" or more powerful plant constructs, and at the very, very least, she should have plants at one of her lairs that can hold a human captive when placed near its tendrils. There's also the possibility of her beginning to create a small army of plant-human hybrid clones, which could easily be done well. They don't need to be giant cactus people like in the BTAS episode where she supposedly went straight and settled down. They don't even need to be able to extend impossibly big vines like in the TNBSA episode where she played match-maker for every rich person in Gotham. They could just be very strong people with a sickly greenish tint to their flesh who can sucrete toxic pheromones and fluids from their skin and maybe extrude nasty thorns, too. See, I wasn't even planning on using her in my franchise, and I've still got all of these ideas that I honestly do find feasible. I think I may have to work her in somewhere. She might even be the "main villain" of a particular movie, given that her grand plan is inevitably bigger in scale than almost every other Batman villain. I'd have to throw in several other villains and subplots in addition, though, because I know I'm not personally as entertained by Poison Ivy as I am by some others. Again, I'd never exclude Ivy solely because she's a sci-fi villain. If anything, I think she's the easiest sci-fi villain to implement in a live action Batman film, now that I've pulled several possibilities other than "poison businessmen and humanitarians and use killer vines and Venus Flytraps." She's got noir, sci-fi and horror going for her something fierce.

The Darwyn Cooke costume for Catwoman seems to have stuck on, so I say go with that. It's a bit more functional than the purple bodypaint Jim Balent "no, she's not naked, because I'm not drawing her nipples" tailed costume. Besides, I'd like to see Herr Logan's head explode like one of those Star Trek robots when he tries to comprehend a costume that is both faithful to the comics and made of leather. "DOES NOT COMPUTE!"
CatwomanCv46.jpg
CatwomanCv48.jpg
balancing-cat.jpg

Warning: Drool Alert--
catwoman4.jpg

You mean this costume? If so, that's the one I always said I would use.
You probably already know all of this, but I'm gonna rant and exposit anyway (you asked for it, you know you did...):

I'm certainly not opposed to leather if a character has worn it in the comics, and if that suit in the comics was inspired by a good movie costume instead of a lazy, bland one. See, there's absolutely nothing about the Movie!X-Men costumes that speaks for the characters, specifically. Moreover, ever since the original team got individual costumes back in the 60's, they've always had individual costumes in every other incarnation (except for the little while when they tried all wearing the old school colors, which they didn't like), so when a team of colorful superheroes is brought to a live action movie franchise and they're all wearing not only something blatantly uncreative, but all wearing the same thing, it's not at all innovative or faithful. At least when Catwoman in 'Batman Returns' got a revamp, it actually suited the character (not the white stitches, but the black latex suit and corset), and not everyone else was wearing it. Sure, Movie!Batman was always in black rubber since Burton's first movie (thanks a lot, Tim), but his was armor, and Catwoman's wasn't. It was purely for cosmetic reasons, and it didn't seem out of character, for either the movie version or the comics version.
I consider this Catwoman costume an actual improvement over the purple suit. I especially hate the look where her hair is flowing out the back of her cowl. Yes, I'd grudgingly accept a purple suit, and even a tail, because I don't like to be a hypocrite, but I honestly believe the leather/nylon black suit and goggles are not only fitting for the Post-Crisis version of the character, but visually more pleasing. Again, there's a lot of subjectivity in there, but my position is, that's my Movie!Catwoman costume.

My pick for actress is Angelina Jolie. No, I'm not roaming with the herd on this one, I honestly think she's got the perfect look (I'd have her hair died black), and I saw some photomanip of her in the costume, courtesy of DorkyFresh, I believe. Puurrrfect! :cool:

* An unnecessary note about Catwoman as portrayed by the the unmanipped live model in the Catwoman costume from Gotham Public Works:
I swear to God, in every human and animal language, I don't care how much of a schizoid personality I was trying to maintain for my grim, holy mission of justice, if I was the Batman and I had that unspeakably hot, voluptuous, leather-wrapped piece of woman waving her tail at me on the rooftops of Gotham for years and years, I would not be able to maintain my "professional distance." Seriously, my guard would be sooo dropped if those were my circumstances (and if I wasn't spoken for, of course). Seriously, I'd make a special entry in Batcomputer files stating that I've officially moved the standard of "hands-the-hell-off" down to "unprovoked violent offenses on innocent civilians" when it comes to female antiheroes. You want to steal priceless items from museums? Hey, they're still just things, right? It's people that matter. Living, warm-blooded, curvy, bursting-out-of-their-catsuit people... that's what's important in life. Mee-frickin'--yoww!

That doesn't count if there's an active distress call at the moment, of course. That weak-willed $hit is for TheatricalReleaseMovie!Daredevil. But just barely...

Herr Logan said:
* An unnecessary note about Catwoman as portrayed by the the unmanipped live model in the Catwoman costume from Gotham Public Works:
I swear to God, in every human and animal language, I don't care how much of a schizoid personality I was trying to maintain for my grim, holy mission of justice, if I was the Batman and I had that unspeakably hot, voluptuous, leather-wrapped piece of woman waving her tail at me on the rooftops of Gotham for years and years, I would not be able to maintain my "professional distance." Seriously, my guard would be sooo dropped if those were my circumstances (and if I wasn't spoken for, of course). Seriously, I'd make a special entry in Batcomputer files stating that I've officially moved the standard of "hands-the-hell-off" down to "unprovoked violent offenses on innocent civilians" when it comes to female antiheroes. You want to steal priceless items from museums? Hey, they're still just things, right? It's people that matter. Living, warm-blooded, curvy, bursting-out-of-their-catsuit people... that's what's important in life. Mee-frickin'--yoww!

That doesn't count if there's an active distress call at the moment, of course. That weak-willed $hit is for TheatricalReleaseMovie!Daredevil. But just barely...

I think it's safe to say that if any superhero were an actual red-blooded American male, they would get lucky with a lot more alacrity than they actually do. With the exception of the Flash back when Mike Baron was writing him, when he was a complete ****. Mobsters were actually planning to have him star in "blue movies."

But no, instead it's "I'm sorry, Maxima, I can't have meaningless rough sex with you for the purpose of procreation because it just wouldn't be right." I think the one exception to this was in Spider-Man, where Black Cat revealed that she loved Spider-Man and hated Peter Parker and our boy's reaction was pretty much "Can we keep having sex? Yes? Rock on." Of course, it didn't last, but still...

By minor action villain, I'm talking about Firefly at least being part of the ensemble of villains. I don't want him to show up with no explanation starting a fire and for Batman to beat him up as a sort of "day in the life" montage. Opening action sequence to get the audience's blood racing, that's acceptable. But dude deserves more than just a cameo.

Zev said:
I think it's safe to say that if any superhero were an actual red-blooded American male, they would get lucky with a lot more alacrity than they actually do. With the exception of the Flash back when Mike Baron was writing him, when he was a complete ****. Mobsters were actually planning to have him star in "blue movies."

But no, instead it's "I'm sorry, Maxima, I can't have meaningless rough sex with you for the purpose of procreation because it just wouldn't be right." I think the one exception to this was in Spider-Man, where Black Cat revealed that she loved Spider-Man and hated Peter Parker and our boy's reaction was pretty much "Can we keep having sex? Yes? Rock on." Of course, it didn't last, but still...

I'm not trying to knock the superhero genre for its higher standards and boundaries, of course. Just saying that I would be weak and probably unworthy of the Bat-mantle if I was alone with someone who liked like that, in an outfit like that and she was ready to go. I guess it's fitting that the Batman finally gave in during a story illustrated by Jim Lee, who's known for his depiction of pretty wimmens. That's the story that totally sold me on that costume forevermore, and the Gotham Public Works website is what sold me on using it for a movie franchise. Thanks again to those fine people for making our nights a little warmer and our imaginations a little dirtier.

By minor action villain, I'm talking about Firefly at least being part of the ensemble of villains. I don't want him to show up with no explanation starting a fire and for Batman to beat him up as a sort of "day in the life" montage. Opening action sequence to get the audience's blood racing, that's acceptable. But dude deserves more than just a cameo.

I think I could work it so Firefly got his due. He just wouldn't get the same story/character development as some others (Scarface, Riddler, etc.). I think he could be done very creepily if we get a shot of him watching his handiwork. He supposedly sees "visions" in the flames. Playing up that angle a bit but still leaving him "normal" enough to get himself hired would probably be how I'd do it.

I don't see Jolie as Catwoman. She'd be good, don't get me wrong, but I don't see her and think Catwoman.

Who would I pick? Damned if I know. I like Linda Cardellini, but that was based on her work in Scooby Doo. One flippin' film. Not enough to make an honset judgement.

It's funny really. I've been here since summer of 2003. I was here since Batman: The Intimidation Game was in Pre-Production. During that time, speculation was flying with regards to the new film. A few months ago I went back and read some very old threads from 2003 and 2004, and I couldn't help but notice something.

Practically everybody wanted a more faithful adaptation of the batsuit. At least, they wanted a gray and black suit (the underwear was still a bit controversial back then) made of a new material. As far as I can recall, there was only one member I saw that wanted to keep the black rubber look. With the success of Spider-Man, pretty much everybody was convinced that a traditional batsuit could work. And concepts were flying left and right on how to achieve it. With the exception of that one member, NOBODY wanted to go the same route as the Burton/Schumacher films.

Now fast forward to today. The classic suit, which at the time of pre-production was desired by pretty much everybody, is now considered "too ridiculous" and "too unrealistic" to "fit in Nolan's world."

What the hell happened?

It truly boggles my mind how someone can flat-out say the comic book suit CAN NOT WORK. It really does. We are talking about a Hollywood studio that puts MILLIONS of dollars into these projects. We're talking about a Hollywood studio that hires on the best in the field of concept art and design. And you can still sit there and tell me that you truly believe the batsuit can not work? SPARE ME.

This is why I was wary of Nolan's "realistic" approach, because I was afraid something like this would happen. Batfans everywhere were desperate for a new Batman film that would make up for the franchise's downfaill. When Nolan came along with his vision, it sounded too good to be true. But now, people are STUCK on that concept. Because it saved the series, people begin to feel that the realistic approach to the character is the ONLY way to do it. And consequently, the classic suit gets brushed under the bed, and considered "unrealistic."

i agree. the fans on the bat boards have no imagination. they feel the same exact formula for bb will make the sequel better somehow

The Batman Begins batsuit has so many flaws, yet it has the most adamant and persistent defenders.

The cape clasps are an eye sore, the cowl is horrible, the suit buckles and creases, and the cape is "off-color" to the rest of the suit.

The sequel's suit is going to need some serious improvements, but aesthetically and mechanically.

Go to this thread now: it's Crisis on Infinite Safe Havens!

Best of luck to you all, and thanks for all your contributions and support. :cool:

P.S.:
Boom, The Batman, Cullen: sorry I can't respond to your posts right now, as I'm running short on time, but I thank you for posting. :up:

Well, except Cullen. He's a troublemaker. :o

Cullen, good luck in your ventures in novel-writing. I'm pullin' for ya. :up:

Herr Logan said:
Go to this thread now: it's Crisis on Infinite Safe Havens!

Best of luck to you all, and thanks for all your contributions and support. :cool:

P.S.:
Boom, The Batman, Cullen: sorry I can't respond to your posts right now, as I'm running short on time, but I thank you for posting. :up:

Well, except Cullen. He's a troublemaker. :o

Cullen, good luck in your ventures in novel-writing. I'm pullin' for ya. :up:
If you thought I was bad before....:mad::)

What is the criteria for something being true to the comics? I was thinking this because Batman has gone through so many changes, and not just visually, over the many years. You have everything the original Kane Batman to the modern Batman, from the Batman who would kill occasionally, to the non-killing Batman. Hell, you even have the campy 60's Batman. Are we just picking the stuff we'd like to see from the plethora of Bat mythos available, or is there some strict code to it all? If anything, the most faithful would stick to the absolute original, but Batman has been reinvented so many times by others (and has been made better, IMO), yet we allow no re-invention to come from ourselves? Are comics the only medium allowed to change the definition of a character, and who's to say the definition of a character has changed? When can something be considered canon enough for us to use it in a movie and then call the movie faithful?

Myself, I'm more interested in the essence of the characters and the general idea of the visuals rather than having everything the way it was in [insert random Neal Adams story], but I'm still interesed in what you all have to say about the issue of "faithfullness".

Boom said:
The Batman Begins batsuit has so many flaws, yet it has the most adamant and persistent defenders.

The cape clasps are an eye sore, the cowl is horrible, the suit buckles and creases, and the cape is "off-color" to the rest of the suit.

The sequel's suit is going to need some serious improvements, but aesthetically and mechanically.

I feel like strangling somebody everytime i see a "leave it the way it is" post...it clearly has flaws, for gods sake.

And i must say, it was great that you brought up the fact that everyone wanted a spider-man type suit before we got to see the BB one.

Beelze said:
What is the criteria for something being true to the comics? I was thinking this because Batman has gone through so many changes, and not just visually, over the many years. You have everything the original Kane Batman to the modern Batman, from the Batman who would kill occasionally, to the non-killing Batman. Hell, you even have the campy 60's Batman. Are we just picking the stuff we'd like to see from the plethora of Bat mythos available, or is there some strict code to it all? If anything, the most faithful would stick to the absolute original, but Batman has been reinvented so many times by others (and has been made better, IMO), yet we allow no re-invention to come from ourselves? Are comics the only medium allowed to change the definition of a character, and who's to say the definition of a character has changed? When can something be considered canon enough for us to use it in a movie and then call the movie faithful?

Myself, I'm more interested in the essence of the characters and the general idea of the visuals rather than having everything the way it was in [insert random Neal Adams story], but I'm still interesed in what you all have to say about the issue of "faithfullness".

Even with all these different versions of a character, the versions still have the basic principles that the character has relied on.

Herr can give a better answer than this, but if the changes by the media actually fit the character and what they're about, than sure, its faithful. the problem is, most of the time changes dont help the character, and are just made to feed creative egos.

I wouldnt say comics are allowed to change the definition of the character either. For example, Marvel Comics has recently changed spider-man's definition, and it sucks. That wasnt done by cartoons or movies, but by marvel itself. The key, IMO, is to stay faithful to the ideas of the character, and only use the source material of people who take the original ideas and make them better.

Just to reiterate my idea for a Movie!Riddler portrayal:

I would have The Riddler wear a green suit and bowler hat, and while I would indeed go with the question marks all over the green of his general dress, I would abort the purple eye mask for purple tinted lenses, simply because it fits in far better with how I would portray The Riddler in my movies.

You see, The Riddler to me is extremely arrogant, and rather than shieding his persona from the public (which an eye mask, as opposed to lenses, would suggest) he wants to advertise his actions. This may sound like The Joker, but the key difference is that while both characters are flamboyant to a degree, the Joker being a freakin' loon, the Riddler advetisises himself much differently. It would Nygma's Riddles, not his general persona, that he wants Gotham and the authroties to take heed of. Initially, I would have The Riddler as a right hand man to a mob boss in a movie where he first appears; the crime lord in question is using the Riddler as a means of sending authorites chasing down blind alleys, aswell as the Batman, which would infact make more sense since by now the Batman has proved himself a threat to anyone in the crime game, and the Riddler would be much sort after as a means of diverting away the Bat's attention.

In fact, I quite like the idea of the underworld vying for control of Nygma's services, with The Riddler more intellgent than the lot of them and with ability to have them all succumb to him through one big Riddle if he so wished. Another aspect to the Riddlers character I would introduce is to make him into a 'human lie-detector' he would be well versed in 'the riddles of the human body' as he would call them. Whenever an interrogation wasn't turning up answers, the Riddler would simply be called in by his boss to read the pup who isn't squealing!

The Riddler needs to be one seriously dark, nasty, creepy, but yet flamboyant character. I really feel he has potential for a Bat-Movie, even on par with the likes of Joker and Two Face (the latter of who I woul like to be in a movie with the Riddler, although not as partners like in 'Forever' of course). I would of course include scenes of Riddler being at the scene of one of his crime in process, since he is an arrogant bastard who seldom fears seriously being caught due to his seering intelligence and use of riddles.

Thoughts? Sorry if that was all slightly out of order, I'm scatterbrained at the moment and it's late.

Boom said:
It's funny really. I've been here since summer of 2003. I was here since Batman: The Intimidation Game was in Pre-Production. During that time, speculation was flying with regards to the new film. A few months ago I went back and read some very old threads from 2003 and 2004, and I couldn't help but notice something.

Practically everybody wanted a more faithful adaptation of the batsuit. At least, they wanted a gray and black suit (the underwear was still a bit controversial back then) made of a new material. As far as I can recall, there was only one member I saw that wanted to keep the black rubber look. With the success of Spider-Man, pretty much everybody was convinced that a traditional batsuit could work. And concepts were flying left and right on how to achieve it. With the exception of that one member, NOBODY wanted to go the same route as the Burton/Schumacher films.

Now fast forward to today. The classic suit, which at the time of pre-production was desired by pretty much everybody, is now considered "too ridiculous" and "too unrealistic" to "fit in Nolan's world."

What the hell happened?

It truly boggles my mind how someone can flat-out say the comic book suit CAN NOT WORK. It really does. We are talking about a Hollywood studio that puts MILLIONS of dollars into these projects. We're talking about a Hollywood studio that hires on the best in the field of concept art and design. And you can still sit there and tell me that you truly believe the batsuit can not work? SPARE ME.

This is why I was wary of Nolan's "realistic" approach, because I was afraid something like this would happen. Batfans everywhere were desperate for a new Batman film that would make up for the franchise's downfaill. When Nolan came along with his vision, it sounded too good to be true. But now, people are STUCK on that concept. Because it saved the series, people begin to feel that the realistic approach to the character is the ONLY way to do it. And consequently, the classic suit gets brushed under the bed, and considered "unrealistic."

You nailed it. This is basically the stream of consiousness that bursts through my head everytime I see a "leave the costume the way it is" thread. Well done.

Say Herr, now that Nightwing is all finished, what'd you think of it? How'd it score so far as faithfulness to the comics goes?

It's finally come, I finally have the evidence that I've always dreamed of. I now have proof -from the only people who could be considered experts on the subject- that the grey color scheme for Batman's costume is in fact "realistic". More importantly, as it turns out the color black may actually be a hinderance for urban camoflage.

Read it and weep Nolan fanboys:

[T]he ACU is a universal pattern capable of blending into desert, urban, and woodland environments. Second, the color black has been eliminated from the Army camouflage—the Army decided that it is disruptive in a camouflage scheme because it is not found in nature... the places where the black in a camo pattern is most disruptive, it turns out, are urban and desert settings...

http://www.slate.com/id/2106359/

ex01newacuel1.jpg

ACU stands for Army Combat Uniform, btw.

My god, it feels so good.

EDIT: I'm debating whether or not to post this in the Begins sequel boards, but I don't want to cause a flame war. Obviously, I'd re-word the post. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"