85th Annual Academy Awards (2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naomi is good but I don't believe oscars should be given out because of time served in the acting community.

^well many people believe she was far better than chastain and lawrence and say it's the best performance of her career

Naomi is good but I don't believe oscars should be given out because of time served in the acting community.

Hence the whole Leo snub running gag.

^well many people believe she was far better than chastain and lawrence and say it's the best performance of her career

Better than 21 Grams and Mulholland Drive? I don't think so.

Watts has like that Princess Diana biopic coming up next year anyway, she's most likely going to win for that.

Really enjoyed Watts but certainly wouldn't say she was far better than the other nominees. They're all essentially on par.

I love Jennifer Lawrence, but I thought she was overacting sometimes in SLP. Chastain was unbelievable in ZDT, but I too agree that Naomi was the best.

I'd like to see Chastain get it just to dispel the notion that "triumph of the human spirit" roles for women will always have the advantage.

DiCaprio is like Pacino - solid in just about every role he's in, but he didn't win that Oscar until he moved out of his comfort zone and did something that was really out there. Django Unchained is a step in the right direction, The Great Gatsby isn't. Of course, not to say Leo is not going to be great in Gatsby, it's just that chances are we have already seen him in similar roles (The Aviator). He hasn't pushed the limits of his talent yet. I think he'd do well to take some notes from Daniel Day-Lewis, who is almost impossible to recognize from film to film.

It wasn't the best performance of her career by a long shot, or the best performance by a lead actress this year, imo, but I do think she was better than Chastain, who was better than Lawrence.

Last edited:
Dicaprio has a very decent shot at the Lead Actor Oscar with this years ''The Wolf of Wall Street.'' He gives the best performances under Martin Scorsese's directing.

Yet he has not received acclaim from them.

DiCaprio is like Bogart, Cagney, Stewart. They pretty much played similar versions of themselves in roles but no one ever gave them anything but praise for it. You were paying to see such and such actor play this role. DDL is excellent but how many mainstream Joe six packs know him? Not that he wants that.

DiCaprio is like Pacino - solid in just about every role he's in, but he didn't win that Oscar until he moved out of his comfort zone and did something that was really out there. Django Unchained is a step in the right direction, The Great Gatsby isn't. Of course, not to say Leo is not going to be great in Gatsby, it's just that chances are we have already seen him in similar roles (The Aviator). He hasn't pushed the limits of his talent yet. I think he'd do well to take some notes from Daniel Day-Lewis, who is almost impossible to recognize from film to film.
i need to watch Scent of Woman again. but wasnt he playing a blind Al Pacino who screams every 5 minutes?

Yup. Not even close to deserving an Oscar.

I hate Scent of Woman. And Pacino was just awful in this film. He has so many more deserving roles than this one.

I hate Scent of Woman. And Pacino was just awful in this film. He has so many more deserving roles than this one.

The disability card was played. As was the tortured soul card. And the "big Justice For All speech" card.

If anything Pacino should have gotten an Oscar for "...And Justice For All"

Nah...Pacino should have gotten an Oscar for Jack and Jill. It was his finest moments in acting. :o

Better than 21 Grams and Mulholland Drive? I don't think so.

Watts has like that Princess Diana biopic coming up next year anyway, she's most likely going to win for that.

Watts as Diana? That's the first I've heard of it. I looked it up. She doesn't look anything like Diana in the film stills, and even the hairstyle is wrong for Diana in the last couple of years of her life. Watts actually ends up looking like an older woman than both Diana and herself.

It wasn't the best performance of her career by a long shot, or the best performance by a lead actress this year, imo, but I do think she was better than Chastain, who was better than Lawrence.
Wholeheartedly agree with the bolded bit. I was underwhelmed by Chastain (and by DZT in general). IMO Lawrence's performance is better than Chastain's also.

Watts as Diana? That's the first I've heard of it. I looked it up. She doesn't look anything like Diana in the film stills, and even the hairstyle is wrong for Diana in the last couple of years of her life. Watts actually ends up looking like an older woman than both Diana and herself.

Myself, I am suitably intrigued. She looks enough like Diana to play the part; for a role like this, the intent is not to do a celebrity impersonation. Naomi is a good enough actress to bring something special to the role.

^pretty much langela did'nt really look like nixon yet he was powerful

Myself, I am suitably intrigued. She looks enough like Diana to play the part; for a role like this, the intent is not to do a celebrity impersonation. Naomi is a good enough actress to bring something special to the role.

But equally if she looks too off, she will be distracting, which she does look. She doesn't need to do a celebrity impersonation, but there are other decent actresses who probably look more similar, or at least better looking in the part. Naomi is a beautiful woman, but the make up on her is not flattering at all. As I said, it makes her look both older than she is, and much older than Diana ever looked.

I've read comments on how in one picture, she looked more like Camilla Parker Bowles than Diana. I can understand that.

7423234_orig.jpg

Diana never looked as old as that. She was 36 when she died and by that time she had a more modern hairstyle and was looking in great shape.

And here is a comparison pic an article ran where they said she looks "identical" to Princess Di.

1344631424_diana-naomi-467.jpg

And yet, they can't even get her hairstyle the same for these outfits. :doh:

Well there's apparently another Diana biopic coming up possibly with Charlize Theron in the role. I don't know if she'll look better or not, but I think she'll capture the elegance more than Naomi has, especially since she's more the right height for the role than Naomi (who is way too short and it shows).

^pretty much langela did'nt really look like nixon yet he was powerful

He did, however, look like Skeletor. He must have shadowed the real Skeletor for like years, man. Now THAT'S method; take notes Daniel Day Lewis!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"