Battle of the Cartoons (Simpsons & South Park vs. Family Guy)

Futurama just simply went beyond comedy. Plus, Dr. Zoidberg may be the greatest character ever in my book.

Family Guy is too generic and formulaic for my tastes.

OPENING SEQUENCE - This must be random and absurd and have nothing to do with the overall plot of the episode.

THEME SONG

INTRODUCE PLOT - Something as simple and pointless as Peter going to the grocery store.

PETER: Holy crap, this is worse than that time when I (pop culture reference)!

FLASHBACK to POP CULTURE REFERENCE with PETER inserted. Most of Family Guy's audience has no knowledge of what this reference is refering to, but instead laugh at Peter being fat or stupid. Usually both.

REPEAT, inserting intermitten BRIAN THE TALKING DOG DRINKS ALCOHOL jokes and STEWIE THE EVIL BABY WANTS TO DO SOMETHING EVIL jokes.

END CREDITS.

What about those of us who get the referance? I agree that Family Guy is formulaic and overrated. But if you know the referances, it is pretty damn funny. Certianly not the best of the best though.

I get most of the references. And it's usually painfully unfunny. Like when Stewie recited William Shatner's version of "Rocketman" word for word, syllable for syllable? That joke went on several minutes longer than it had any right to.

I think, though, like most of Adult Swim programming, that most of Family Guy's audience falls under the age of 14, and really, those kids are not going to get the references. They're just going to laugh at how stupid Peter is. Which got old fast.

He's like Homer Simpson, but fatter and stupider, and with more hair... AND glasses! Doesn't make him funnier.

I do love Family Guy, but Simpsons HAS to get my vote.

The Simpsons, in their prime, were definitely the best.

But out of shows that are on at the moment? I'll give it to South Park.

Cyclops makes an excellent point. Most of the references in Family Guy are from the 80's and I just don't see a lot of 14 or even anyone born in the 90's to actually get the joke. Most of the time they are just laughing at Peter being stupid.

Cyclops said:
Family Guy is too generic and formulaic for my tastes.

OPENING SEQUENCE - This must be random and absurd and have nothing to do with the overall plot of the episode.

THEME SONG

INTRODUCE PLOT - Something as simple and pointless as Peter going to the grocery store.

PETER: Holy crap, this is worse than that time when I (pop culture reference)!

FLASHBACK to POP CULTURE REFERENCE with PETER inserted. Most of Family Guy's audience has no knowledge of what this reference is refering to, but instead laugh at Peter being fat or stupid. Usually both.

REPEAT, inserting intermitten BRIAN THE TALKING DOG DRINKS ALCOHOL jokes and STEWIE THE EVIL BABY WANTS TO DO SOMETHING EVIL jokes.

END CREDITS.
spot on!

Cyclops said:
I get most of the references. And it's usually painfully unfunny. Like when Stewie recited William Shatner's version of "Rocketman" word for word, syllable for syllable? That joke went on several minutes longer than it had any right to.

Oh I love that joke. Any joke where they insinuate that Stewie is actually just a pent up homosexual is hillarious in my book, and they did it with style.

I think, though, like most of Adult Swim programming, that most of Family Guy's audience falls under the age of 14, and really, those kids are not going to get the references. They're just going to laugh at how stupid Peter is. Which got old fast.

He's like Homer Simpson, but fatter and stupider, and with more hair... AND glasses! Doesn't make him funnier.

This is unfortunatly true.

StorminNorman said:
Dr. Zoidberg may be the greatest character ever in my book.

he's definitely up there, but the thing i love about the simpsons is that they have tons of hillarious second, third and fourth-class characters that are even funnier than most of the regulars. i'm a moe syzlak man myself. :)

AMerican dad is garbage and futurama is okay but it shouldnt be on there, its low on the list. King of the hill is way funnier than thoughs shows.

1 simpsons (the original)
2 Family guy
3 South park
4 king of the hill
.99 futurama
100 american dad

Elijya said:
just about my sentiments exactly, Mr. Credible

I don't hate on the simpsons, new or old, as much, but the show has lost it's flavor for me

Yeah, I'm right there with ya, Simpsons just slid off the radar after all the years I've been watching it. For the purpose of the Poll, I'm throwing my lot in with Family Guy, I stuck with it after they tossed it and brought it back by popular demmand. Quick witted humor with well developed characters and the random elements that make it priceless.

I see a lot of the older posters voting for Simpsons and while it's close 25 - 24 with Family Guy. The Family Guy group isn't as vocal as some of the others.

I never thought it possible, but a programme has out done The Simpsons, and that's Futurama! Family Guy and American Dad don't even come close.

I've stated what I liked. I refuse to pick between them

why are we only allowed to vote for these four cartoons. throw aqua teen hunger force in the mix and they'll f**k some s**t up, proper!

sinewave said:
why are we only allowed to vote for these four cartoons. throw aqua teen hunger force in the mix and they'll f**k some s**t up, proper!
They will, too.

There's a rivalry between the Simpsons & South Park against Family Guy.

Futurama is from the same people as the Simpsons.
American Dad is from the same people as the Family Guy.

Thought I'd throw in the other 2.

Assassin said:
AMerican dad is garbage and futurama is okay but it shouldnt be on there, its low on the list. King of the hill is way funnier than thoughs shows.

1 simpsons (the original)
2 Family guy
3 South park
4 king of the hill
.99 futurama
100 american dad

Futurama is not 99.....:mad: :(

Erzengel said:
I see a lot of the older posters voting for Simpsons and while it's close 25 - 24 with Family Guy. The Family Guy group isn't as vocal as some of the others.

Well I was vocal, but then again that's just because I'm SEXY.:o

But seriously, I think some people just wanted to pick a fav without having to go to war over it.

If Futurama is 99 all these other shows are 112.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"