Best Comic Book movie of the summer?

When I first created the poll, MOS was leading it for a little while by quite some way, then TW came back when it seemed it couldnt.

I personally always thought TW was going to be good, Mangold is a very good director, Fox meddling is what worried me, but they seem to have cut down on that a lot. Personally I havent disliked any CBM movie I have seen this year, but I didnt see G.I Joe 2, Red 2 or RIPD yet.

It's certainly comforting to see Fox step up their game regarding the X-films.

I think it is no coincidence that their films started getting better after Tom Rothman was no longer in direct control.

I'm really curious if DOFP is going be great or not. The writer Simon Kinberg NEVER had a really good movie where he was the screenwriter.

With The Wolverine/First Class, I was confident with them because the writers/directors had good movies in the past.

Definitely, after the debacle that was X3, I didnt think they could make a come back after that, but the last 2 movies have been really good.

I think it is no coincidence that their films started getting better after Tom Rothman was no longer in direct control.

No surprise at all, that man was responsible for some of the worst movies put to film in the last 10-15 years.

I'm really curious if DOFP is going be great or not. The writer Simon Kinberg NEVER had a really good movie where he was the screenwriter.

With The Wolverine/First Class, I was confident with them because the writers/directors had good movies in the past.

Kinberg wrote the first draft of FC and produced it also I believe, I didnt want to see him again in this franchise after X3, but to be fair he was a big part of FC.

I think Singer and Kinberg know exactly where they have to put out with DOFP. They have had time to listen to what people liked and haven't with the franchise. Now is their chance to show off the OT actually doing cool ****. They won't pass that up. Especially with Sentinels. This is how you get the masses back with X-Men. Stakes will be high and all the characters should have something to fight this go around.

As long as they bring the lightning, Ice sliding, teleporting, robots, snikt slashing and some loud ash metalic wubs that destroy subs it should be a bad place of a good time. Especially given the last two X films.

Last edited:
Kinberg wrote the first draft of FC and produced it also I believe, I didnt want to see him again in this franchise after X3, but to be fair he was a big part of FC.

This is the 1st time I heard this. The concept of doing a First Class movie probably came from him, but the 1st draft was written by Josh Schwartz, then Singer wrote his own treatment with Jamie Moss. Then the writers of the first Thor movie rewrite the script. And finally, when Matthew Vaughn was hired as the director, Vaughn/Jane Goldman got involved with the script.

The 1 thing that Simon Kinberg contributed to the script that I know, was how lame and easy Emma Frost was beaten by Prof X and Magneto (the person that Emma kicked out of the yacht earlier in the movie).

1. The Wolverine
2. Iron Man 3

I think Singer and Kinberg know exactly where they have to put out with DOFP. They have had time to listen to what people liked and haven't with the franchise. Now is their chance to show off the OT actually doing cool ****. They won't pass that up. Especially with Sentinels. This is how you get the masses back with X-Men. Stakes will be high and all the characters should have something to fight this go around.

As long as they bring the lightning, Ice sliding, teleporting, robots, snikt slashing and some loud ash metalic wubs that destroy subs it should be a bad place of a good time. Especially given the last two X films.

Yeah, and Singer has always gotten these characters, and I like him as a director, so its why I am so excited with the movie. The story concept itself is amazing and we couldnt have hoped for something like this 10 years ago.

This is the 1st time I heard this. The concept of doing a First Class movie probably came from him, but the 1st draft was written by Josh Schwartz, then Singer wrote his own treatment with Jamie Moss. Then the writers of the first Thor movie rewrite the script. And finally, when Matthew Vaughn was hired as the director, Vaughn/Jane Goldman got involved with the script.

The 1 thing that Simon Kinberg contributed to the script that I know, was how lame and easy Emma Frost was beaten by Prof X and Magneto (the person that Emma kicked out of the yacht earlier in the movie).

Kinberg was involved in a FC movie from the release of X3 onwards, originally it was going to be a teen X-Men movie, he wrote a draft, which got heavily changed, but the basic outline was still there I believe.

Once Singer came on board things changed, but Kinberg was still heavily involved and he produced the movie. Maybe he wanted to make up for X3, as he got a lot of abuse on the web-site he posted on afterwards.

Of the summer? Iron Man 3 but I feel that Thor 2 will be the best of the year.

Iron Man. The rest of the summer was littered with mediocrity. Just recently caught Wolverine on NDVD, and I really don't see what the fuss was all about. I'm shocked that this very average film is being celebrated as the best of the summer. It wasn't comically bad like Origins(save for that joke of a climax), but it wasn't particularly noteworthy, either. A fairly run-of-the-mill narrative where the titular character seemed more like a tag along than anything else. Some good character moments in the middle of the film, but the resolution made the whole journey seem superficial and irrelevant to Logan, as if nothing that happened and nobody he met would resonate with him from that moment forward.

The focus on Wolverine as a character was big factor in people's enjoyment I think, its why I enjoyed the movie so much, plus it put him in an environment we havent seen before, it was possibly Hugh's best performance in the series so far as well. I cant remember more specific details as its been a few months since I saw it, but I think TW will be the one that holds up best to repeat viewings as well.

Kinberg was involved in a FC movie from the release of X3 onwards, originally it was going to be a teen X-Men movie, he wrote a draft, which got heavily changed, but the basic outline was still there I believe.

Once Singer came on board things changed, but Kinberg was still heavily involved and he produced the movie. Maybe he wanted to make up for X3, as he got a lot of abuse on the web-site he posted on afterwards.

Josh Schwartz wrote the draft for that teen X-Men movie, not Kinberg.
Iron Man. The rest of the summer was littered with mediocrity. Just recently caught Wolverine on NDVD, and I really don't see what the fuss was all about. I'm shocked that this very average film is being celebrated as the best of the summer. It wasn't comically bad like Origins(save for that joke of a climax), but it wasn't particularly noteworthy, either. A fairly run-of-the-mill narrative where the titular character seemed more like a tag along than anything else. Some good character moments in the middle of the film, but the resolution made the whole journey seem superficial and irrelevant to Logan, as if nothing that happened and nobody he met would resonate with him from that moment forward.

Character development/story over action. Plus compare to Iron Man 3, the film didn't really leave a bad taste in people's mouth.

Loving this Blu Ray cover.

8196vhrcRWL._SL1500_.jpg

Definitely, after the debacle that was X3, I didnt think they could make a come back after that, but the last 2 movies have been really good.

Agreed :up:

The only thing the X-Men movies have been missing is big action. If they add that and keep the great storytelling, acting and tone then it'll be #1.

Character development/story over action.

Was about to write the same thing :funny:

Last edited:

I gotta agree here. It was just all kinds of blah. Plus it was rather confusing as well with all the power plays and who's on what side, etc. Really didn't make it all very clear. It's just pure mediocrity. But at least that's a step up from the ridiculously awful Origins.

Viper and Harada were on Yashidas side. Shingen was against Mariko as he wanted the company. Logan and Yukio were on Marikos side. Clear as crystal

Viper and Harada were on Yashidas side. Shingen was against Mariko as he wanted the company. Logan and Yukio were on Marikos side. Clear as crystal

Also, Harada was conflicted because he was honor-bound to Yashida but in love with Mariko. In the end he chooses Mariko.

BTW, I thought the action in the film was great. Especially the bullet train sequence and the Logan/Shingen fight.

The only thing the X-Men movies have been missing is big action.

...and focus on their true leader. :cwink:

There will be no excuse after this one. Time to show audiences why Cyclops is the most crucial member of the X-Men.

...and focus on their true leader. :cwink:

Amen. I love me some Hugh Jackman but it would be nice to split the spotlight more. DOFP would have been a great chance to let Kitty Pride be the one to travel back in time like the comics did. Ellen Page is definitely talented enough to handle that role. And even if you want to go in another direction, why not Storm or Cyclops who was embarassingly shortchanged in the X-trilogy? But no, it has to be Wolverine doing the heavy lifting again. I don't even think Cyclops is in the movie, its not listed on IMDB.. Sigh..

Character development/story over action.

Oh my, how profound. :whatever: Not only did I not mention action at all, but since my entire post was in reference to the mediocre story and sterile character treatment...I'm not sure how your reply is even relevant...but...what the bad place, I'll bite.

For starters, films are not so black and white. I hear this sort of trite platitude often and it always nets an eye roll from me, because there is no reason why a good film can't have both. There is no, nor will there ever be an ultimatum whereby the film makers have to choose between one or the other. A good crew will always deliver a product that is viscerally and emotionally satisfying, bar none. Considering what genre this is, I see no reason to be apologetic about exhilarating, well choreographed action that is earned; it's what we come to these films to see, otherwise the genre wouldn't be what it is. Let's not kid ourselves, but enough on that.

With that being said, the action is actually among the few high points of this film...from an isolated perspective anyway. The fights and action sequences were well choreographed, but here's my issue with them from this movie that addresses...whatever it is you meant with your reply - they weren't earned, and lacked thus lacked context. Nevermind the fact that with each encounter, the action flew further and further away from established logic, but damn near every action scene in this film, no matter how exhilarating, felt like a device to shove the plot along. It seemed as if Mangold was saying 'Hey, time to move on to a new locale, let's kidnap Mariko again or start another shootout so we can get to the next scene!' With this sort of approach; however, there's a right way to do this and a wrong way to do it. 3:10 to Yuma actually had a very similar structure, but the action scenes, along with being well shot and choreographed, were woven into the film seamlessly, so it puzzles my that they seemed so forced in this movie...and it's Wolverine for crying out loud. None of the scenes had a solid resolution before the action kicked up again(MoS succumbed to this as well, albeit in a fashion far worse than this movie). Clearly he didn't have a very coherent script to work with. In retrospect, it's no surprise that Aronofsky walked away. Again, the film wasn't terrible by any means, just mediocre; I left feeling very lukewarm about the whole affair. The only thing I can definitively say was bad was that god-awful 'let's go storm the villain's castle' final confrontation. I didn't even care about how the Silver Samurai was butchered per se(and people complain about the Mandarin? Please.), it was just executed extremely poorly, and by that point most of the logic established throughout the franchise and this film was tossed right out the window.

Otherwise, I'm not sure where this character development is that you speak of. This is why I was careful to say character moments, because there was more experimentation and exploration than there was actual depth and development. The whole flirting with death and immortality removal was glossed over in a few scenes, and in a very overt and obligatory fashion, only to be reverted and subsequently forgotten about by the end, which brings me to my next point. There wasn't any character development in this film because the protagonist simply returned to the mean by the film's conclusion, and the entire journey felt trivialized. He cut all ties with everyone he met(where the bad place was his 'bodyguard' in the stinger? Dead?), and nothing had any sort of significance. After a nice little Japanese journey, I'm off for another adventure with the X-Men.

Best film of the summer? Hardly. I can't see this movie being remembered fondly, if at all, in a decade or so. It's a completely forgettable entry in the character's legacy and the X-Men franchise as a whole. I have a hard time seeing how or if there will ever be any call backs to the events of this film in any future iterations.

I'll admit that it isn't a great film, merely a decent one. But we are comparing it to Iron Man 3, Kick-ash 2, and Man of Steel. Those aren't exactly heavyweights themselves. None of the comic book films this summer blew me away.

Best film of the summer? Hardly. I can't see this movie being remembered fondly, if at all, in a decade or so. It's a completely forgettable entry in the character's legacy and the X-Men franchise as a whole. I have a hard time seeing how or if there will ever be any call backs to the events of this film in any future iterations.

Most memorable film =/= the best film

It doesn't work out like that. Yeah The Wolverine is probably NOt the most memorable CBM / Marvel movie, well its a very simple movie and it doesn't feel like a CBM movie, but as a movie, its good and definitely better than the other CBM movies of this year.

And for some people who found the movie "confusing", you need to learn how to follow and listen to the movie.

Most memorable film =/= the best film

------->"Best film of the summer? Hardly."<-------

Are we here to argue semantics, or are we talking about a movie? Both of your replies to my posts have now been either irrelevant or out of left field. If I'm not making myself clear, then please say so, but I'm pretty sure I have been.

Whatever the case, The Wolverine was neither for me. I was quite clear on that.

...as a movie, its good and definitely better than the other CBM movies of this year.

That's where we agree to disagree. I found it lacking by most measures. A few moments of brilliance, a few of stupidity, and whole lot of 'meh'.

And for some people who found the movie "confusing", you need to learn how to follow and listen to the movie.

Although I disagree on the quality of the film, I was with you until this remark. I'm assuming you're referring to Kedrell's post, and in that sense, I'd say the coin is on the other side. Much like an intelligent person who can't articulate their thoughts effectively, an otherwise talented filmmaker who can't convey simple concepts to their target audience fails at the medium. You're suggesting that if someone found aspects of the film confusing, that they just didn't 'get it', but I'd argue the opposite in that Mangold and the writers didn't do a stellar job of communicating to their audience. This wasn't a particularly deep or intelligent film either, so there's no excuse for the laziness in this regard, especially when you consider the target audience(this is a summer blockbuster, after all).

The exchange between Viper and Harada in the alley is a perfect example of this. That scene didn't effectively convey allegiances or who was in charge, nor did their little power struggle. There are several examples throughout the film, but that's just poor structure and presentation on Mangold's part; it could have been done a lot better than that. The easy thing to say is that people are stupid and don't get it, but that's just pedantic and is a lame excuse for ineffective filmmaking. Did I get it? Sure, but it wasn't nearly as coherent as it should have been.

You know what to be honest, I wasn't reading your entire posts because they are too long, I just read some of the sentences that you wrote.

And when I said character development/story, it was a response to your question, asking why people liked the film and being celebrated as the best CBM of the summer.

1. Man of Steel (love it)
2. Iron Man 3 (Love it)
3. Lego Batman (really fun)

I did not see the Wolverine, Smurfs 2 (the Smurfs and the villain are comic book characters), but I will see them later, and watch Thor: Dark World

The first Kick-ash did not grab me, and the comic isn't much better. No interest in the sequel

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"