The Dark Knight Rises Best fight scene in the trilogy

Am I the only one who thinks Batman looks strongest in TDKR? I don't know if it's story-wise that he's at his best after the pit or if they just did a better job with the effects and all but Batman never looked as powerful in BB or TDK as he did during the last act of TDKR. Taking out the mercs with Blake with such ease, before finding Bane how he cuts thru the enemies in the war outside City hall, how he finishes Bane kicking him thru the door.....and how mercilessly he smashes Talia's guard....in TDK, which people say is his prime, he never looked that determined and strong. Save for the bar fight with Maronis men, it looked like Batman had to work, especially in the penthouse scene.

I think its just the fact in these fights he knows they are his last and he is giving everything and putting it all on the line as after that he knows he can rest but his sheer WILL to win is greater in theses fights after what happened to him in the pit and in the first Bane fight.

That was the real first time he had tasted defeat and you learn more from that than in victory, so he knew he had to up his game as it was going to be his toughest fight. In all his other fights he was never the under-dog but the champ and that made him lazy (as Bane pretty much tells him).

Off-topic: Anyone know when I can actually get an avatar and sig for my profile???

That fight looked like an updated version of the Adam West Batman tv show fights. The only thing that was missing was the ''POW!'' "WHAM!" effects. One of the many reason i think TDK is the weakest in the trilogy. Batman being too cosy with the cops. The only thing that was missing was a big red phone in the bat cave for Commissioner Gordon to call him on...:o... :down:

I will agree the choice to shoot in wide angles with fewer cuts with a suit that was still a bit too heavy made the fight scenes in the Hong Kong and Gotham penthouses seem not very believable (though the SWAT team sequence at the end worked out great) and that Nolan didn't get the mobility he wanted out of Batman until TDKR (ironic because he isn't supposed to be at his best in the movie).

Still, I love the relationship between Batman and the cops. It's right out of The Long Halloween and Dark Victory. There is an uneasy alliance between the police, the DA's Office and the Batman. It could break at any time, but for the moment they're at harmony. And in that harmony they manage to take down organized crime and the money bankrolling all the crime in Gotham City. That is until the Joker comes along and the police (some of whom obviously distrust Batman like Ramirez and possibly Stephens) eventually have to turn on him.

It's not like the police just sit around and put up the signal to let Batman do their jobs like the Burton films or Schumaucher films--or really most comics. That is more like the Adam West TV show. In these movies the cops are actually competent and their relationship with Batman is an uneasy one of convenience until it is not.

Bane vs batman 1 is the one i'll never forget. Lot more one sided than the second but the most tension filled and dramatic, and had the best dialogue.

Yup, I just saw the movie today. Can someone give me a breakdown on why that scene was so awesome?

That was the most emotionally invested I've been watching a superhero fight scene. I mean, I actually feared for his life. Why can't I feel like the hero is in mortal danger more often when I watch superhero movies?

I guess it makes a difference that it's just two men going at it with no weapons or something. I don't know.

Am I the only one who thinks Batman looks strongest in TDKR? I don't know if it's story-wise that he's at his best after the pit or if they just did a better job with the effects and all but Batman never looked as powerful in BB or TDK as he did during the last act of TDKR. Taking out the mercs with Blake with such ease, before finding Bane how he cuts thru the enemies in the war outside City hall, how he finishes Bane kicking him thru the door.....and how mercilessly he smashes Talia's guard....in TDK, which people say is his prime, he never looked that determined and strong. Save for the bar fight with Maronis men, it looked like Batman had to work, especially in the penthouse scene.

Agreed. Except for the first fight with Bane, Batman definitely seemed at his best in TDKR.

Same exact thing happens in TDK Rises.

So why are TDK fight scenes being verbally assaulted, yet the same problems exist in TDK Rises?

Maybe because the choreography and execution didn't completely suck? Batman looked extremely slow and out of shape in that penthouse fight. And all it took was one punch from a goon to knock him down? Joker beat Batman's ass twice in TDK. That's something I really hated about the movie.

Guys play or imagine the Adam West tv theme during the Rooftop fight with Catwoman and Batman and man it's an awesome match! :awesome:

Yup, I just saw the movie today. Can someone give me a breakdown on why that scene was so awesome?

That was the most emotionally invested I've been watching a superhero fight scene. I mean, I actually feared for his life. Why can't I feel like the hero is in mortal danger more often when I watch superhero movies?

I guess it makes a difference that it's just two men going at it with no weapons or something. I don't know.

I agree. This is by far my favourite fight. Prior to that iw was the end of Spider-Man 1, where the Goblin is beating down Spidey. Quite a few similarites between those two fights now that I think about it. Less flashy and more brutal, no music, the hero tries to uses weapons or tricks a couple of times to know affect...I guess there's something to that.

Best duel?

The first Bane vs Bats fight.
It was such a well directed moment. None of that flashy, over-the-top, hollywood choreography, devoid of any real power. Instead we got two juggernaughts, pummeling at each other. Christian Bale's characteristic fury, slowly being replaced by agression born of helplessness, as Batman is roaring like a cornered animal, desperately trying to summon some last reserves of strength. The whole thing was fantasticaly raw and gritty, with real power behind all the punches and charges. The trilogy made a point of showing Batman fighting style as very aggressive "elbow to the face" approach, which is very fitting. The direction of the fight was also sublime. No music, the only sounds were the pummeling of fists, growls of anger, the waterflow of the sewers and the rattling of rusty chains, hanging from the celing. Catwoman and Bane's men, the only witnesses to the whole thing, watching in scilence. Very atmospheric.

Although I must also mention their re-match, which I like the more I think
about it.
Obviously it didn't had the excitement, the dark mood and the visceral atmosphere of the first one. But the image of Bats dueling out with Bane against the background of a city-wide street war was great. Plus we get to see some few cool shots of Batman scowling at Bane, and Bane looking at Bats like he was going to tear him apart.
Plus there was that great moment when Bane gets Batman pinned against the collumn and releases that flurry of shots to the body(it's nice how the drums in Zimmer soundtrack intesify in that very moment). For some reason I especially liked the view of Batman trying to block them. And finally the moneyshot - Batman manhandling Bane and Bale roaring at him like a ****$% animal. It was probably one of the best, if not the best use of the bat-voice. WHERE'S THE TRIGGER?!!! goosebumps...

BTW - does anybody know what music played during that fight? I tried looking for it on the soundtrack, but to no avail.

Best group fight?

Batman vs SWAT team in the Previtt building.
It was exciting, it was dynamic and it was fantasticaly filmed. Seriously, all those beautiful night shots of the city were wonderfull. Seeing Batman do what he does best, with the "glass jungle" of Gotham serving as his background.

A second ex equo win, would probably be Batman first group fight in BB, when he takes out all the Falcone's goons at the docs. First we get to see all the "Batmany" tricks of screwing with the men, as he takes them out one by one, in the maze of shipping containers. The famous "where are You?!" moment, the image of Wayne hanging in the air like a real bat. And the finally drops right in the middle of the group and takes them all out, keysi style. I know that this fight gets a lot of bad rep, from the moment Batman drops right in the middle of that group of goons, but I believe that tha chaotic montage was intentional. Acctually I think it's quite obvious, that it was meant to show him as that quick, terrifying, wraith and shade, that takes man out before he even knows what hit him.

Also, one final fight scene of note. Although I don't consider it to be a "combat scene" per say, but it's been added to the voting pool, so I have to mention it. The finish of Batman vs Joker interrogation. The way Batman looses control is absolutely fantastic. The scene is riveting and despite the pg-13 lack of blood, the violence is palpable. In fact, to this day I remember the shudder and recoil that went trough the whole cinema audience, when Batman hammered Joker'ms mug into the glass. The way he roars "WHERE ARE THEY", the way he pummels him with fists, the way Zimmer's Joker theme is constantly building up(making it all the more powerfull and adding to the tension) and finally the way Joker just doesn't give a ****, cackling maniacaly. Powerfull stuff.

In fact I believe the whole Joker/Bats interrogation, combined with the death of Rachel(the dramatic moment as Batman rushes to the rescue and an even better one when he realises he been tricked) was probably the single best sequence in the entire trilogy. I remember the brooding silence that engulfed the theater when Harvey was screaming "No! No! Why are You coming for me!(to the sound of building up Joker theme) and the total shock when his face was burning. What other director would have killed off the superhero's girl and in such a dramatic fashion?

Last edited:
Agreed. Except for the first fight with Bane, Batman definitely seemed at his best in TDKR.

Maybe because the choreography and execution didn't completely suck? Batman looked extremely slow and out of shape in that penthouse fight. And all it took was one punch from a goon to knock him down? Joker beat Batman's ass twice in TDK. That's something I really hated about the movie.

The only reason Joker beat him both times was that he basically cheated

Bane is crushing this, as usual, its certianly going to go down as one of the most iconic fights in cinema ever.

I'm a little disappointed it gets rated so highly. Batman is just terrible in that fight.

Best duel?

The first Bane vs Bats fight.
It was such a well directed moment. None of that flashy, over-the-top, hollywood choreography, devoid of any real power. Instead we got two juggernaughts, pummeling at each other. Christian Bale's characteristic fury, slowly being replaced by agression born of helplessness, as Batman is roaring like a cornered animal, desperately trying to summon some last reserves of strength. The whole thing was fantasticaly raw and gritty, with real power behind all the punches and charges. The trilogy made a point of showing Batman fighting style as very aggressive "elbow to the face" approach, which is very fitting. The direction of the fight was also sublime. No music, the only sounds were the pummeling of fists, growls of anger, the waterflow of the sewers and the rattling of rusty chains, hanging from the celing. Catwoman and Bane's men, the only witnesses to the whole thing, watching in scilence. Very atmospheric.

Although I must also mention their re-match, which I like the more I think
about it.
Obviously it didn't had the excitement, the dark mood and the visceral atmosphere of the first one. But the image of Bats dueling out with Bane against the background of a city-wide street war was great. Plus we get to see some few cool shots of Batman scowling at Bane, and Bane looking at Bats like he was going to tear him apart. Plus there was that great moment when Bane gets Batman pinned against the collumn and releases that flurry of shots to the body(it's nice how the drums in Zimmer soundtrack intesify in that very moment). For some reason I especially liked the view of Batman trying to block them. And finally the moneyshot - Batman manhandling Bane and Bale roaring at him like a ****$% animal. It was probably one of the best, if not the best use of the bat-voice. WHERE'S THE TRIGGER?!!! goosebumps...

BTW - does anybody know what music played during that fight? I tried looking for it on the soundtrack, but to no avail.

Best group fight?

Batman vs SWAT team in the Previtt building.
It was exciting, it was dynamic and it was fantasticaly filmed. Seriously, all those beautiful night shots of the city were wonderfull. Seeing Batman do what he does best, with the "glass jungle" of Gotham serving as his background.

A second ex equo win, would probably be Batman first group fight in BB, when he takes out all the Falcone's goons at the docs. First we get to see all the "Batmany" tricks of screwing with the men, as he takes them out one by one, in the maze of shipping containers. The famous "where are You?!" moment, the image of Wayne hanging in the air like a real bat. And the finally drops right in the middle of the group and takes them all out, keysi style. I know that this fight gets a lot of bad rep, from the moment Batman drops right in the middle of that group of goons, but I believe that tha chaotic montage was intentional. Acctually I think it's quite obvious, that it was meant to show him as that quick, terrifying, wraith and shade, that takes man out before he even knows what hit him.

Also, one final fight scene of note. Although I don't consider it to be a "combat scene" per say, but it's been added to the voting pool, so I have to mention it. The finish of Batman vs Joker interrogation. The way Batman looses control is absolutely fantastic. The scene is riveting and despite the pg-13 lack of blood, the violence is palpable. In fact, to this day I remember the shudder and recoil that went trough the whole cinema audience, when Batman hammered Joker'ms mug into the glass. The way he roars "WHERE ARE THEY", the way he pummels him with fists, the way Zimmer's Joker theme is constantly building up(making it all the more powerfull and adding to the tension) and finally the way Joker just doesn't give a ****, cackling maniacaly. Powerfull stuff. In fact I believe the whole Joker/Bats interrogation, combined with the death of Rachel(the dramatic moment as Batman rushes to the rescue and an even better one when he realises he been tricked) was probably the single best sequence in the entire trilogy. I remember the brooding silence that engulfed the theater when Harvey was screaming "No! No! Why are You coming for me!(to the sound of building up Joker theme) and the total shock when his face was burning. What other director would have killed off the superhero's girl and in such a dramatic fashion?

The Fire Rises, the motorcycle chase, Bane's speech, and the final duel share a lot of the same music. The beginning of the Fire Rises has parts of the beginning of the same fight and Bane and Batman looking for eachother in the crowd, the last minute-thirty is when it flashes back to Bane and Batman fighting.

Even thought it was relatively short, the night club fight scene in TDK was a personal fave of mine.

Batman vs Bane was the best. (1st and 2nd fight as well.)

Finally a villain that matches Batman physically.

I'm a little disappointed it gets rated so highly. Batman is just terrible in that fight.

Batman came into that fight with Bane overconfident, rusty, unmotivated and reckless (not caring about death). In essence, Batman could've been compared to a prize fighter who's occupied the top spot for years unchallenged... until Bane came to town. Prior to the vicious and humiliating beatdown, perhaps Bruce was seeking a 'Grand Death' (similar to older Bruce in TDKReturns when he put on the cowl and cape for the last time)?

I think he had that in the back of his mind, even if he didn't go in with that mindset. Take me to Bane, I'll have a good shot at him and just fight harder if things get tough. He didn't care about dying. Whatever happened, happened.

Watching Batman Vs Bane round I again - Batman actually comes at Bane with very technical strikes like he has from the first two films. He tries this push attack on Bane's chest, then attacks his legs, comes back up with this upper cut type of punch, then a well placed back hand. But Bane eats every single shot. That's when Batman starts getting frustrated and starts throwing hay makers.

Even when the fight goes to the lower part of the sewers, Batman has his back against the wall, but he ends up fending for himself pretty well, blocking a few of Banes shots, then he steals a nice straight left on Bane, and then gets him in a clinch and starts feeding him these elbows from close range. It doesn't last long obviously, because Bane spins out and nearly floors Batman, bringing him to his knees.

Yeah, I'm surprised by a few folks expressing their love for The Penthouse scene now. :hehe:

The Penthouse and Hong Kong fight scenes are the most criticized of the trilogy. They got so little love 3-4 months ago when the topic regarding fight choreography was in full swing.
Agreed. Ever since the release of TDK, I remember those two particular scenes being criticized for it's choreography. The Hong Kong scene is a pure example of where Nolan's quick cuts would have covered for the mistakes in the scene.

Agreed. Ever since the release of TDK, I remember those two particular scenes being criticized for it's choreography. The Hong Kong scene is a pure example of where Nolan's quick cuts would have covered for the mistakes in the scene.

Precisely. :up:

Those scenes were beyond deplorable. Seriously, where was the love for these fight scenes four months ago (and a year ago too)? I only remember three posters defending those atrocious fight sequences -- and two of them were Nolanites who defended every aspect of TDK.

It's bewildering to me.

Watching Batman Vs Bane round I again - Batman actually comes at Bane with very technical strikes like he has from the first two films. He tries this push attack on Bane's chest, then attacks his legs, comes back up with this upper cut type of punch, then a well placed back hand. But Bane eats every single shot. That's when Batman starts getting frustrated and starts throwing hay makers.

Even when the fight goes to the lower part of the sewers, Batman has his back against the wall, but he ends up fending for himself pretty well, blocking a few of Banes shots, then he steals a nice straight left on Bane, and then gets him in a clinch and starts feeding him these elbows from close range. It doesn't last long obviously, because Bane spins out and nearly floors Batman, bringing him to his knees.

Bane literally walked through Batman's power shots, and didn't flinch once. At no point in Round One did Bane respect Batman's power and fighting prowless. He mocked them by standing in front of Bats and eating those blows and strikes.

Batman definitely displayed some technicality in his first encounter with Bane, but it hardly had an effect. Once Batman lost confidence in himself and became frustrated, he started swinging for the fences with haymakers. Upon realizing that nothing he was throwing at Bane was slowing him down, Batman then entered desperation mode and resorted to theatricality and gadgets.

So I agree.

Wow Bane is crushing the opposition, literally, in more ways than one. Looks like the winner in this category quite comfortably.

Batman V Bane Round II

Only because of the outstanding use of symbolism that is brought forth as Bane, the figurehead and puppet to Talia, slowly deflates in front of Batman as well as the audience. Goodness, even the hissing sound that emits from Bane's mask was employed to reveal him as a somewhat air-filled (or in this case, love-filled) mannequin or dummy. Not to mention what a wonderful contradiction of power roles is displayed throughout the first half of the film in comparison to the scene following the fight where his mask is lovingly put back together by the true mastermind.

Such tact in this fight scene. Really, it must be celebrated.

I liked Batman vs Swat Team/Joker Henchmen i liked how Batman was stopping the swat team from taking out the prisoners who were actually the Henchmen great twist and excitement in that scene. I also like Batman vs Bane round 1

Easily Bane vs Batman round 1. Watching one of the most iconic characters ever getting owned by a vastly superior opponent...was intense.

However BatvsBane Round 2 was easily one of the worst fight scenes ever existed in trilogy, everything went terribly fast and wrong. Mask broke way too fast, Bane's berserk was extremely short, then Talia came and made Bane look like a friendzone idiot (seriously...Bane went all that way for a woman? I know it makes him more human but he had to be more like...an animal without emotions as Batman described him in comics more than 5 times least.)

It was Bane's reason of existence to be superior to Batman. But they should've put some more struggle into that final fight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"