Best "New 52" Animated film?

The Batman

The Dark Knight
Reaction score
The DC Animated Movie verse was...flawed, but I'm sure there are some films people found exceptional. Which film best fit that bill for you?

And yes, I left off "Flashpoint Paradox" as 98% of the film doesn't revolve around the DCAMU version of these characters.

Of those listed, Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay (9/10)

Apokolips War. Most of them were very lackluster but I truly enjoyed the JLD films.

This is easy. Death of Superman is still my favorite Superman movie in any medium. It was also written by Peter Tomasi who is in my top three favorite Superman writers

Can I say "Soul of the Dragon"? Because I suspect it will soon be the correct answer. :p

Definitely the combined rerelease of The Death and Return of Superman (or just ‘Death’ if we’re being particular), followed by Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay—both used the previous films’ continuity to their advantage.

I remember enjoying JLD well enough and being pleasantly surprised with Wonder Woman: Blood Lines.

I still need to see WW Bloodlines.

honestly I liked SS Hell to Pay but I didn’t think it was amazing, I preferred the other SS animated movie they’d done previously, thought the voice cast was better too.

Of those listed, I'd say either Throne of Atlantis or JLD : AW.

I never really cared for any of these, but Justice League Dark was pretty good and I don't think Batman: Hush was terrible.

I never really cared for any of these, but Justice League Dark was pretty good and I don't think Batman: Hush was terrible.

Hush was the best of the New 52 Batman films, but that’s not a high mark IMO. It’s a shame because it was nowhere near the level of Year One, TDKR, or Under the Red Hood.

Still have high hopes for The Long Halloween.

I’ve been rewatching a ton of these and I feel I was too harsh on them initially. While I didn’t always love the style or the stories, I can’t say there were any I outright hated.

all the Batman films are fun. I really enjoyed Batman vs Robin but wish we got to see more of Batman’s “spiral” in the maze like we did in the comics.

Bad Blood is a lot of fun. Absolutely loved seeing Batwoman.

and even Hush is pretty good. The change of Hush’s origin is really weird and don’t understand why they did it, but besides that and a couple other little things, it’s actually fairly faithful. I had just finished rereading the comic a week prior to watching the film for a second time, and I was surprised to see how faithful it was for a large chunk of the film.
I didn’t like the film the first time around, but really enjoyed it the second time.
Another film I didn’t enjoy much on the first watch was Wonder Woman: Bloodlines.
I watched it again last night and it’s great!

I also quite enjoyed both JLDark films.

I would agree that the Death of Superman is probably the best one overall, but my personal favourite is probably WW Bloodlines or Batman: Bad Blood.
it’s been a very long time since I’ve seen the others, so it’s hard to judge. And I still need to watch the Teen Titans related films.

I’m glad they have finished the series and will be moving on to other projects now, though.
I’m really hoping they go back to trying to emulate the visuals of certain comics. With The Long Halloween coming out, I really hope they try and capture Tim Sales style.

I’ve been rewatching a ton of these and I feel I was too harsh on them initially. While I didn’t always love the style or the stories, I can’t say there were any I outright hated.

all the Batman films are fun. I really enjoyed Batman vs Robin but wish we got to see more of Batman’s “spiral” in the maze like we did in the comics.

Bad Blood is a lot of fun. Absolutely loved seeing Batwoman.

and even Hush is pretty good. The change of Hush’s origin is really weird and don’t understand why they did it, but besides that and a couple other little things, it’s actually fairly faithful. I had just finished rereading the comic a week prior to watching the film for a second time, and I was surprised to see how faithful it was for a large chunk of the film.
I didn’t like the film the first time around, but really enjoyed it the second time.
Another film I didn’t enjoy much on the first watch was Wonder Woman: Bloodlines.
I watched it again last night and it’s great!

I also quite enjoyed both JLDark films.

I would agree that the Death of Superman is probably the best one overall, but my personal favourite is probably WW Bloodlines or Batman: Bad Blood.
it’s been a very long time since I’ve seen the others, so it’s hard to judge. And I still need to watch the Teen Titans related films.

I’m glad they have finished the series and will be moving on to other projects now, though.
I’m really hoping they go back to trying to emulate the visuals of certain comics. With The Long Halloween coming out, I really hope they try and capture Tim Sales style.

That’s good to hear. JM DeMatteis wrote Batman vs Robin and Bad Blood; I’ve been meaning to give them a rewatch. I ended up binging the Cadmus JLU episodes last night instead (a few DeMatteis scripts in there too lol).

I think it was the voice work that was disappointing. I think these movies found their footing with Jerry O’Connell as Superman and Rosario Dawson’s Diana, but Jason O’Mara’s Batman was always a bit blah for me. I’m all for new voices for my Batman, but O’Mara wasn’t a suitable choice—especially for an iteration that got so much play. I’d even go for Stephen Baldwin’s version from COTE over his. Oh or even better, Jeremy Sisto (from New Frontier).

Yeah, his voice was hit or miss for me. In some he was fine, in others he sounded bored.

I started watching the Batman Batman vs TMNT film last night, and I really dig Troy Bakers voice for Batman.
I also quite like Bruce Greenwood’s voice for Batman.

I really need to rewatch New Frontier and Crisis on two earths. It’s been too many years. That goes for most of the older animated films, really.

Yeah, his voice was hit or miss for me. In some he was fine, in others he sounded bored.

I started watching the Batman Batman vs TMNT film last night, and I really dig Troy Bakers voice for Batman.
I also quite like Bruce Greenwood’s voice for Batman.

I really need to rewatch New Frontier and Crisis on two earths. It’s been too many years. That goes for most of the older animated films, really.

Was really surprised with the TMNT crossover. Great action tbh.

Watching COTE now—really still holds up. I wish Doom was a straight-up sequel to this, but it gets a little blurred with the JLU cast returning to voice. Which, of course, is great to hear. Maybe I should just consider both quasi-canon in Timm’s universe.

Last edited:
I'm going with Hell to Pay, it's the most fun.

The other films all have good moments, but HTP has the most enjoyable story. Apokolips War brings things to a close nicely.

Interesting you didn't include Flashpoint because its effectively the genesis of the new 52, and directly features in HTP.

Enjoyed
Didn't care for

Didn't watch
  1. Justice League: War
  2. Son of Batman
  3. Justice League: Throne of Atlantis
  4. Batman vs. Robin
  5. Batman: Bad Blood
  6. Justice League vs. Teen Titans
  7. Justice League Dark
  8. Teen Titans: The Judas Contract
  9. Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay
  10. The Death of Superman
  11. Constantine: City of Demons: The Movie
  12. Reign of the Supermen
  13. Batman: Hush
  14. Wonder Woman: Bloodlines
  15. Justice League Dark: Apokolips War

I'm going with Hell to Pay, it's the most fun.

The other films all have good moments, but HTP has the most enjoyable story. Apokolips War brings things to a close nicely.

Interesting you didn't include Flashpoint because its effectively the genesis of the new 52, and directly features in HTP.
Exactly this! :up:

Now that I've finished rewatching the films, I'm going with "Death of Superman".

I never would've thought that the same films that did weak adaptions of "Batman & Son", "Court of Owls", and Grant Morrison's "Batman & Robin"/"Batman Inc" would deliver a pretty good adaption of DOS.

Now that I've finished rewatching the films, I'm going with "Death of Superman".

I never would've thought that the same films that did weak adaptions of "Batman & Son", "Court of Owls", and Grant Morrison's "Batman & Robin"/"Batman Inc" would deliver a pretty good adaption of DOS.
Not fond of Batman sadistically plucking Killer Croc's decaying tail? :oldrazz:

I really wish HBO Max put more of these series so I can watch them. I'm not paying $20 a pop for a disc or even less for VOD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"