Best Superhero Trilogy

DACrowe

Avenger
Reaction score
Instead of just doing individual film stand-offs or series, I am including all the superhero trilogies.

Of Note: I am only including those that are made with the intent of being (or ending as) a trilogy. So while there is a Superman III and Batman Forever, those films were episodic and followed up by fourth installments meant to be a continuation and not a revisit.

So please vote and rank.

For me:

1. The Dark Knight Trilogy
2. Raimi's Spider-Man Trilogy
3. The Iron Man Trilogy
4. The X-Men Trilogy
5. The Blade Trilogy

I know I may get some flack for putting Raimi's so high, but as flawed as SM3 is, it never felt boring or lazy like IM2 and X3 did to me. So, it gets higher because all three films were high-minded, even if only the first two were truly good.

Please post and comment.

The Dark Knight Trilogy is so far above the others that I'm not sure if it is even worth the bother to ask this question. There is only one other superhero film (Spider-Man 2) that even comparable to the quality of ANY of the three Nolan films.

The real battle is for #2 between Iron Man and Spider-Man. I think Iron Man is more consistent, but it never reaches the high of SM2. Right now I would probably go with Iron Man, but mostly because I am such a fan of the character and RDJ's interpretation of it. They are close.

Last edited:
The only competition will be TDK's trilogy and Iron Man's trilogy in this poll.

It has to be the TDK trilogy, every movie was of a high quality, were as unfortunately all of the other trilogies had at least one average-bad-very bad movie. All 3 Batman movies were of a very high standard.

It's too bad how the last two films of the TDKTrilogy had so much tragedy behind them, though. Wonder how the films would've been perceived without any troubling events being related to them.

1. The Dark Knight trilogy
2. Spider-Man trilogy
3. X-Men trilogy
4. Iron Man trilogy
5. Blade trilogy

Is this poll even worth it? Even if you don't care much for Nolan's take on Batman you'd be hard pressed to find another series in the genre that comes close to matching the quality of film making involved with that trilogy.

Yeah, I don't see how you can't go with TDK trilogy. Its easily the most consistent, even if you aren't much of a fan of the film. Every other superhero trilogy has atleast one entry that struggled with fans and critics. Even 'Rises', which a lot of boardies like to rag on, was better received critically than 'Begins' and has plenty of fans and plenty of people who think it tops TDK. I think a great trilogy is certainly when all three chapters are strong enough to be the favorite. There are plenty of people who like 'Begins' the best, plenty who like 'Rises' the best and the majority like TDK the best. Spiderman is mostly Spiderman 2 with a few for the original, same goes for the X-men series with X1 and X2 and Iron Man is mostly IM1 and IM3. The chances of getting Sm3, Im2, X3 as an answer for best of the series is so low its not even funny. TDK trilogy is consistent, simple as that.

Last edited:
1. TDKT
2. X-Men
3. Raimi's Spider-Man

I didn't see IM3 yet

Yeah, I don't see how you can't go with TDK trilogy. Its easily the most consistent, even if you aren't much of a fan of the film. Every other superhero trilogy has atleast one entry that struggled with fans and critics. Even 'Rises', which a lot of boardies like to rag on, was better received critically than 'Begins' and has plenty of fans and plenty of people who think it tops TDK. I think a great trilogy is certainly when all three chapters are strong enough to be the favorite. There are plenty of people who like 'Begins' the best, plenty who like 'Rises' the best and the majority like TDK the best. Spiderman is mostly Spiderman 2 with a few for the original, same goes for the X-men series with X1 and X2 and Iron Man is mostly IM1 and IM3. The chances of getting Sm3, Im2, X3 as an answer for best of the series is so low its not even funny. TDK trilogy is consistent, simple as that.

Yep, that's the bottom line. I remember back when Wally Pfister was talking about the script before they even filmed anything. He basically said the same thing you did about the consistency of the series where each movie is good enough to have people who prefer it over the other two movies.

TDK trilogy is the only one in the genre to pull this off so far. I think Burton could have pulled it off if he made a third movie, but as we know WB pretty much shoved him out the door. Likewise, I think Singer would have made a good third movie if he didn't jump ship for Superman Returns.

Agreed with everything on this post. TDKTrilogy has given us three films in which one could be the favorite over another one. I mean, I love TDKRises the most myself and that really tells a lot of how I view this trilogy...this is the first time in a CB trilogy where I very much enjoy the third installment. Can't say that about the other trilogies(even if I like IM3 more than IM2, it still is no match against the first film).

TDK (3 great films)
X-Men (2 great films)
Iron Man (1 great film and 1 good film)
Spidey (1 good film and 1 decent film)
(Haven't seen Blade)

1. Iron Man Trilogy by a hefty margin.(3 out of 3)

2. Superman Trilogy(2 out of 3)
3. X-Men Trilogy(2 out of 3)
4. Spider-Man trilogy(2 out of 3)
5. Blade Trilogy(2 out of 3)
6. Nolan's Batman Trilogy(1 out of 3)

Last edited:
The Dark Knight Trilogy, no doubt about it. To date it is the only fully successful superhero trilogy where each film is strong.

I personally would rank them:

Iron Man
Raimi's Spider-Man
The Dark Knight Trilogy
X-Men
Blade

Wasn't a fan of TDKR and I enjoyed Iron Man 3 most of the 3rd installments. While TDK is a triumph, I also personally enjoy SM1 and IM1 more than BB.

Wasn't encouraged to continue watching Blade 2 when I finally saw it from the start
What I remember of it is bad twists from the times I caught it halfway through

Blade Trinity is still ignored

It doesn't need to be said, but: The Dark Knight Trilogy.

Dark Knight Trilogy. I disliked TDKR a lot but the other two were extremely good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"