Best Third Installment in a Superhero Trilogy?

Either Infinity War or Civil War.

Civil War. My second favorite CBM and the best of the MCU. Robert Downey Jr and Chris Evans have never been better in their respective roles than they were in that film.

Last edited:
Infintiy War is part of an ongoing series, not really a trilogy

Ragnarok could have been a great ending to Thor's saga, but for the tie in with IW.

Civil War is the end of Steve as Captain America, it ends with him letting go of the shield. It's also a great movie full stop ( so are Ragnarok and IW).

I'll give it to Civil War, but not by much.

After seeing IW a 2nd time, I still love it but the spectacle had a little less impact. Thanos is just amazing though. But anyway, my current ranking would be:

1) Logan
2) Infinity War
3) The Dark Knight Rises
4) Ragnorak
5) Civil War

I'd have to say Logan, as it doesn't just raise the bar waaaaaay beyond the previous two movies, it goes in a brave new direction that no superhero movie has done before. I mean, it's basically a movie about ageing, death, and the soul-crushing disappointments of reality. The only superhero film you could really compare it to is possibly Unbreakable, in terms of realistic, downbeat tone.

Now THIS is a tough match-up! If we were going by most-improved, I'd go with Ragnarok, because that was miles above the other Thors. However, it's not most-improved, and Infinity War, as much as I love it, will inevitably be affected by its 2nd part, so until A4 comes out, I don't have a final verdict on how I feel about IW on the whole. So now I'm stuck between TDKR and Civil War. I really did love TDKR, just...not as much as the TDK. So while a good film, ultimately, it felt like a step down.

Civil War gets my vote because it doesn't feel like a step down from its predecessor, as it has a more powerful 3rd act where it really sticks the landing. And because it beautifully completes the patriot-to-insurgent arc for Cap that M&M/The Russos wanted to tell and again manages to at least match its predecessor in quality, I feel its the most complementary film on the list to the trilogy its serving. That trilogy, imo, when put together, says pretty much everything there is to say about who Captain America is - past, present and future. If I ever want to show someone why I love Cap as a character, all I have to do is show them those 3 movies and my job is done. Even with TFA in there, it still feels like one complete journey/experience. And for that reason, while I'm sure a reboot is inevitably down the line, I think it will stand as the "definitive" take on Captain America for a very long time.

That second paragraph about the Cap trilogy is a perfect summary of why I love those films :up:

It is going to be very difficult for any future Captain America series to match the current trilogy. Marvel managed to nail everything I love about Captain America in his trilogy, and in all eras. It's quite astonishing given just how many problems Cap presented as a character. He basically has 2 different origins to tell, his entire supporting cast/genre changes, and much like Superman, Marvel had to find a way to make people connect with the boy scout in an era where darker characters were largely more popular. Captain America's trilogy stands as my favorite CBM trilogy for this reason :cap:

Okay, who are the jokers that voted for Spider-Man 3 and Superman III? :o

Its Infinity war or Civil war for me, I went with Infinty war because I really enjoyed Thanos. After those it would probably be Ragnarok and Logan.

1. IW
2. CW
3. T:R
The others on the list I just plain dislike, including Logan and TDKR.
Logan sets up a nuanced arthouse movie in act 1 act 2 but the third act descends into a straight-up action movie (zzzzzz...) and TDKR has plot contrivances large enough to drive the Tumbler through.

Last edited:
1/2 Infinity War/Civil War (Need to watch IW again)
3. Logan
4. T:R
5. TDKR
6. IM3

The Rest

Definitely Logan, Iron Man 3 and The Dark Knight Rises for me!

Since Superman III, X-Men Apocalypse, Batman Forever, and most definitely Infinity War are not trilogy finishers, can we have the word trilogy in the title of this thread replaced with franchise?

Interesting how Logan, The Dark Knight Rises, and Civil War appear to be in a virtual dead heat. As those are the best three (IMO), it's not that surprising. However, at the same time, it is curious they are up over newer ones like Ragnarok and Infinity War.

Since Superman III, X-Men Apocalypse, Batman Forever, and most definitely Infinity War are not trilogy finishers, can we have the word trilogy in the title of this thread replaced with franchise?

Franchise is such a horrible word.

I don't get it, but ok.

It's just such a business/marketing kind of word, y'know? Not that it's the wrong word to use.

I also love Spider-Man 3 and Superman III. :yay:

Christopher Reeve as the corrupted Superman...he should be on the list of best ever screen super villains. He more than made up for the other villains being a bit lame.

tumblr_nxwem5ALqA1u8nkmbo1_500.gif

...and then minutes later you've got this moment, which is so stirring you just want to get up and cheer....I mean, just the look on his face as he realises he's redeemed himself and restates his heroic purpose...incredible.

tenor.gif

And both of them are the same actor, in the same scene!

Last edited:
I have a soft spot for Spider-Man 3 as well, and the worst I can say about Superman III is that it's more on the boring side. But to say either of those are better than Logan, Civil War, Infinity War, etc.?

200.gif

To me, yes it is, infinitely better.

I always think when I see evil Superman from Superman III that maybe that film was not as bad as I remember, but then I actually watch it and I am like "Oh yeah, Richard Pryor and the Krypto-tar...yeah it is as bad as I remember" :o

I know exactly what you mean Spider-Fan.

f6k56Yh.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"