The Rise of Skywalker Best Third Installment In The Skywalker Saga?

Detective Conan

Avenger
Reaction score
Whats your favorite third installment out of all the three trilogies that makes up the Skywalker saga? Mine is ROTJ. What’s yours?

ROTJ.

ROTS.

A few thousands miles of earth, until you’re right above the core...

TROS, right next to TLJ.

...Sorry. I’m just really ticked that the foundational relationship of ROTJ, a father-son one that actually valued Luke’s perspective and wrote him well and gave Anakin a believable portrayal, and ROTS, which managed Anakin’s downfall into Vader well and did a good job exploiting the tragedy of Obi-Wan having to beat him in a brutal duel, and used an abusive romance act to mark when the audience should have absolutely abandoned all hope for Anakin/Vader and cheer for setting him on fire...

...Now have to be compared to TROS, where a shallow and abusive romance is held up as the emotional centrpoint of the movie we”re supposed to cheer for, as they wave a magic wand to sacrifice all the OT3 characters to flip a switch in Adam Driver’s portrayal and not act like they’ve ignored the character’s real potential because that would require admitting he’s a loathsome monster Rey never had any reason to care about.

And where we just repeat ROTJ’s plot, but now in a bloated, and depressing style, where all the Skywalkers are dead, we barely ramped up to the climax, and the main character’s forced to pull a marketing ploy out of thin air to preserve the Skywalker IP, even while she’s again isolated on a desert planet.

Return of the Jedi. Still one of my favorite 3rd installments in film period.

Jedi and it's not anything even remotely resembling a contest.

ROTJ by far and like others have said its not even close IMO.

ROTS for me and it's not even close. The emotional impact of the movie was great.

A lot of that movie doesn't work for me personally, but I can see where Calvin Ellis is coming from, especially considering that if anything I do think the third act of that movie is kind of great and I can see how some might have even found it emotional.

TROS’s biggest issue is that it’s directly trying to replace ROTJ, but with far fewer tools and build up, and far greater demands placed on it.

ROTS could at least bank on being an inverse to ROTJ that could help attach the PT to the OT, and thus build up to ROTJ’s ending instead of being an ending itself.

It’s one thing to add a tragedy to the backstory of a story with an ultimately happy ending and already emotionally fulfilled climax.

It’s another thing to try replacing that happy ending with another one when you’ve swept the table of most of the previously satisfying emotional arcs for new ones of debatable quality.

I know this is rather tangential to the point of this thread but... I can't help but feel, many years down the road, people will look more fondly on the TROS and the unenviable task presented to it both in and out of the universe.

Besides having to contend with fan backlash from TLJ, this movie had to reconcile two very conflicting yet worthwhile visions for the ST - Rian Johnson's attempt at deconstructing but ultimately expanding the mythos, and Abrams' preference to build on rather than set aside our nostalgia for the OT - the fact that we even had something as coherent and well-rounded as TROS is really a miracle in and of itself.

More importantly, I think we just haven't had the time to digest the three films, detached from the emotional baggage of a franchise as time honoured as Star Wars, to appreciate the beauty of the ST. It distinguished itself from its predecessors by offering us a compelling antagonist in Ben/Kylo Ren, challenged the rose-tinted worldviews of our protagonists (and in doing so, forced the fanbase to come to terms with their own assumptions about the franchise) and widened our understanding of the force. I really can't help but like the ST, and TROS for that matter, for its willingness to open new doors even if it means breaking others in the process.

So I guess what I'm saying, in a roundabout manner, is that TROS comes close to being my favourite third instalment in the Skywalker saga. I still have the highest opinion of ROTJ because it's really damn well hard to beat a movie that made the redemption of what was originally intended to be a one-dimensional villain tug at the heartstrings - though I'm happy, on future viewings of all three trilogies, to give TROS the edge.

ROTJ.

ROTS, unlike the others in the PT, has pretty good execution through most the movie. But ultimately it is too predictable and is ruined by cringeworthy moments (eg. Obi-Wan warning Anakin: "You cannot win. I have the high ground."; Vader shouting "No!" at the end of the movie).

Revenge of the Sith, the only one that concluded a trilogy in a better note meaning it was better than its two predecessors. Yeah the bar was low but still.

Revenge for me. Return of the Jedi is one of my least favorites but at least it's better than Rise of Skywalker.

Jedi by a mile. A top 5 SW movie. I got TROS and ROTS #9 and #10 overall.

I think the new trilogy undermines Luke greatly overall. The lovely thing about RotJ is that unlike Yoda or Obiwan who had to go into hiding; Luke made his own path. He just went all out for it, risking his own life and safety for redeeming his father. And this is not a criticism to yoda or kenobi, but The movie shines because they show just how different Luke’s path was from his mentors and trainers. He never went into hiding; he just made his own path and that’s why he is so different from the other jedi. That unwavering optimism and beacon of hope should always be there. Yet the new trilogy basically makes him go into hiding, thus completely undermining his original fresh and different path he took. It would have made sense if it was part of a larger plan or mission. But to just give up? Especially in tough times like these we need more beacons of hope, optimism and and unwavering goodness. Testing those qualities against difficult and evil circumstances makes for perfectly interesting drama; just look at all of the wonderful superman comics and the captain america comics and movies. Making Luke go into hiding for the reasons he did just completely ****s all over the character. TROS had at least some moments of how I would have liked to have seen Luke through out the trilogy; but ROTJ has such a special place in my heart for this very reason. The unwavering belief and aim to help redeem and bring out the best in others when you feel it’s possible. That is what Luke becomes and does in ROTJ and it gets to me every time, that entire sequence of how he overcomes the emperor’s challenge and throws down his saber. That is seriously such beautiful filmmaking. That sequence is perfection and raises my spirits when they are down always.

I'm legitimately surprised the poll isn't like 95% for Jedi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"