The Force Awakens Moving on from Skywalker: Yes or No?

herolee10

No More Miracles
Reaction score
With David Boyega and Daisy Ridley essentially being the two new leads for the franchise, and with no contender or info pointing out to Luke having offspring, it would then be pretty much safe to assume that Luke will be the last character within the franchise to have the Surname of "Skywalker", let alone the main protagonist of a given trilogy no longer being about a direct heir to the Skywalker family.

After two trilogies and several decades worth of having a "Skywalker" presented at the forefront of the saga, how do you guys feel about this development? Do you think this new trilogy is actually a good time to finally move away from the Skywalker branch?Do you guys think that it's a mistake to not have a Skywalker as the main character for the new trilogy?

Now, even if Ridley ends up being Han and Leia's daughter, thus being a Skywalker by blood... I mean let's face it, Leia was never really treated or defined as being a member of the Skywalker family. She was mainly just known for being Princess Leia Organa, with Luke being the one to take the forefront in carrying on his family's legacy, thus I really don't count Ridley (assuming if she is Han and Leia's daughter) as someone to fill in that role.

I was pretty disappointed but I'm warming up to the idea. Slowly. And grudgingly. This entire Saga is about the Skywalker family and it does feel wrong to have its (likely) conclusion not feature a descendent of Luke as a main character. Although part of me still thinks Gleeson is playing his son.

Yeah, I'm at a loss for it myself.

I mean, hell...I would have even accepted an idea like Ridley being Luke's daughter instead..or Boyega being a surrogate Son to Luke..but I don't think that's a route that they'll be going for.

It just doesn't seem so right to shake things up like this.

I would prefer for them not to move on from the Skywalker story. However, if it does happen, I won't be too put off by it.

1) Lucas kind of shot himself in the foot with the "Jedi can't love, can't marry" rule.

2) It might seem a bit too coincidental to have members of the same family save the galaxy over and over again (unless you do the destiny / will of the Force route)

It is odd Luke would not want his legacy carrying on like that. Or maybe he decides that after Anakin. The world might be better off without another Skywalker

Last edited:
-The Saga has always been the Skywalker story, so I really feel that the Sequels should stick to that. If they want to do stories aside from the Skywalker lne, that's what the spinoffs are for. I would be okay if the only "Skywalker" in the films is Ridley as Han and Leia's daughter but still think Gleeson is playing Luke's son. The whole "Jedi can't love or marry" idea was a thing of the old Order, it wouldn't make sense, in my opinion, for Luke to start following old traditions that his masters never taught him about. Not to mention that those traditions were one of the main reasons for the collapse of the old Order.

Even IF Luke does have a child in this new trilogy, and that it turns out to be Gleeson, that in itself would be a nice consolation prize since it would at least mean that there would be some type of character with the last name of Skywalker and such.

It's a name. The bloodline will still survive regardless. So ya I'm completely fine with it. What is most important is a good film. She is of the Skywalker bloodline and that is what is most important.

Leia is as just much a Skywalker as Luke...that was the point of Episode VI and the last living words from Yoda. The family aspect continues through her and any progeny.

If is Daisy is playing Han and Leia's I wouldn't call it moving away from the Skywalker family.

But again, as I mentioned above....she's really more Solo than Skywalker..and my first post above mentions that Luke is really going to be the last character that will have the Surname of Skywalker..which has become very synonymous with the saga itself.

And she really won't be THE protagonist of the story/new trilogy, as Boyega seems like he'll have that position.

Maybe Leia's son will be called Han Wanderer. Or does that sound too touchy-feely?

Personally, I just think that it's a shame that they couldn't bring in Jacen/Jaina/Anakin Solo and Ben Skywalker into this like the EU had done. Such as waste

Eh no. And actually most of the rumors point to Daisy being the lead.

I'm more excited by them doing this then the EU. She is of the same blood, yes she may not have the "name" but she is still going to be heavily Force endowed.

Eh no. And actually most of the rumors point to Daisy being the lead.

I'm more excited by them doing this then the EU. She is of the same blood, yes she may not have the "name" but she is still going to be heavily Force endowed.

Perhaps....meh, I guess we'll have to wait and see how they do this.

I still for the life of me can't understand why they couldn't allow Luke to have children of his own in the gap between Episode 6 and 7.

And I would at least hope that she and Luke have a great mentor/uncle-niece relationship.

It's just very weird to see a character that doesn't have the Surname of Skywalker...for the time being...to be the "Lead" of the series...and unless they do one hell of a job with it, I don't think I'll ever be able to get passed that completely.

I mean once Luke dies within the trilogy, then no more skywalker period. It's times like this where i wish Leia wasn't Luke's sister and that Ridley could have been Luke's daughter instead

For me I always said the best news would be no more offspring... I really felt like I had to push back against what the EU overdid—but I figured if the line was to continue Leia and Han were always the most likely avenue. I felt like Luke sort of transcended the sexual while that was more the domain established on-screen of Han and Leia. And if you're giving big roles (or in the case of Han, a reportedly 'gigantic' or a lead one) to the family, it follows that a new addition to the family would be focused upon... for good or ill.

The next best news is if there's only one and it's Leia and Han's. Double plus good for a girl, because I think there is better story telling potential here with a Mother-Daughter and Father-Daughter story... because the PT was also about a Mother-Son relationship and the OT was also about a Father-Son relationship. Will Adam Driver or another factor into this new equation? Remains to be seen if this conflict does come to be revealed as sister against brother though that would make two. Does the son somehow kill the father? Some foundation for storytelling here if they go that way. But it's all premature--my writing about it, because it could be very different. It's possible certain things will have to wait until Episode VIII or IX to be revealed if at all because it's scripted in a different direction.

But a female character with some Han Solo attributes of the Skywalker bloodline that will likely eventually swing a lightsaber? I think that could really work...by being the polar opposite of how we last saw Padme in Episode III. Episode I Padme ain't a terrible character, or at least on paper she's not. By Episode III that was a terrible character, and serves as an instruction manual as to how not to write the female lead in a big action movie. I get Lucas wanted to show where Luke and Leia get their fundamental goodness from but it's just not very interesting. Lucasfilm and everyone involved owes it to Star Wars fans and foes to deliver a more modern female character, this time as the trilogy's protagonist.

If you want your protagonist to be like Katniss or Korra or an "extremely gymnastic" character, having it also come from Han Solo's line as well as the Skywalkers makes just more sense than Luke's in a certain sort of way, especially since we never saw him in a relationship with anybody, or anybody like that.

Last edited:
I just thought that it would make more sense for Luke to have the offspring that would carry onto any potential new trilogy given on how he was THE "Protagonist" of the OT.

I mean we had Anakin who was the main protagonist of the PT transfer over to Luke who was the main protagonist of the OT...and now it goes to his niece who's the daughter of Han and Leia?

Maybe it's just plain old bias on my part, I mean Luke is my favorite character...so yeah, it just sucks that Luke was the one to never have any children of his own.

Plus, I'm somewhat of a firm believer that any SW trilogy must have a character who is identified as a Skywalker..and regardless of technical things like Han's daughter having Skywalker blood...she'll likely be more attached to her lineage as a Organa and Solo

Not if she's channeling the Force. That would be following the true lineage of a Skywalker in terms of blood. The name is just the name. Having Anakin the main of the PT did not save that trilogy. And we have no clue of how any of this will go down int he film. Luke is one of my favorite characters of all time, since I'm a huge SW nut. But I don't need him to have kids. I just want great films with great stories, characters that move the mythology and expand it.

Not if she's channeling the Force. That would be following the true lineage of a Skywalker in terms of blood. The name is just the name. Having Anakin the main of the PT did not save that trilogy. And we have no clue of how any of this will go down int he film. Luke is one of my favorite characters of all time, since I'm a huge SW nut. But I don't need him to have kids. I just want great films with great stories, characters that move the mythology and expand it.

Well, if Han is the one to bite the dust in this film, thus allowing Luke to stay and develop a mentor-student relationship with his niece, then I guess it'll work out for the best.

But I really don't have any liking to Boyega being treated as the second lead...and no, it's not because of his ethnicity...but lack of presence and I've seen his acting from the films that were recommended to me about him....personally I don't see why people were so hyped about him.

So yeah, between seeing the Skywalker name go and having the second lead being Boyega.....I feel like the this is pretty much the final nail in the coffin for me on ever having a trilogy that's great from start to finish.

Plus, I always wanted to see on how Luke would handle being a father himself..so that wish is obviously out the window as well.

Wasn't not letting Anakin have an open relationship with Padme a major factor in him going all dark side?

Luke is a smart guy, and the only Jedi left, he would change that rule (if he is even aware of it). Who decides these rules anyway? The Force doesn't seem to give a damn.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind another Skywalker, but it's not a requirement.

Ehhhhh there still could be a third lead.

Wasn't not letting Anakin have an open relationship with Padme a major factor in him going all dark side?

Luke is a smart guy, and the only Jedi left, he would change that rule (if he is even aware of it). Who decides these rules anyway? The Force doesn't seem to give a damn.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind another Skywalker, but it's not a requirement.

I have a hard time believing that in the time gap between Episode 6 and 7, that Luke wouldn't have encountered someone that he would have eloped with.

Plus, Luke started his training way past the normal age limit, so it's not like his mind was brought up with that line of old fashioned Jedi Thinking...and I really don't even think that he knew about that rule at all (as far as the OT has showed us).

The PT was ruined due to Lucas's bad writing and miscast in Anakin, whereas the OT was only prevented from being perfect with the introduction of the Ewoks really (imho), and now...this?

I mean, did Abrams get a lot of Star trek fans pissed off with his films as well?

Ya he pissed some them off because it was too much like Star Wars. Yet people still loved it, including lots of Trek fans. Quality is the most important. The "name" Skywalker is still a superficial aspect that most won't care about. It all comes down to the quality of the film. As for John Boyega, he has presence, and...really you have not seen the film yet so I don't think we can say he won't have it in SW7. Also the lead is pointing to be Daisy.

We have no idea what Luke has done, maybe he has maybe he hasn't. In the real world there are many people that don't have kids, or wives. But to me it seems like you've already made up your mind.

I think that it would feel weird for the Episodic entries to not feature a Skywalker offspring, the Saga started with Anakin, the first of his line as he was a product of the force, so i think that the "Episodes" should have that as the main focus. You don't need them to have the Skywalker name, i think Leia's kids can work as well, but i think that their blood should have a continuity through the Saga.

I think the main Episodes should follow the bloodline in some regard. However I think they will go beyond the Episodes and create other trilogies and big stories following others. It’s a massive universe and to think only one family made a difference would be like making that family the “god like” family. Even in religions there is not just one important family. There were thousands of years before the Skywalker bloodline started. I think if they did too many Episodes people would start to lose more interest. And limit what parts of the EU have shown can go bigger and beyond. I think to show everyone that there is tons of important people throughout this massive galaxy and throughout its massive timeline is okay to do.

But if it says “Episode” in front of it, ya keep it with the blood line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"