The Force Awakens Moving on from Skywalker: Yes or No?

I agree, but regarding other individuals, i think that's what the spin-offs are for, i hope they don't do way too many Episodes, around Episode IX or XII should finish some kind of long storyline for the Skywalker bloodline, maybe it could have to do with the unification of the Force as prophetised for the Chosen one. Either way they go, i think the family needs to mostly be the face of the Main Episodes, or the main Saga so to speak.

My point is the spin-off's don't need to just be a spin-off, they can become other sagas with their own trilogies. I don't think it should end though with some super "unification" of the Force. A big no to that. The Chosen one was meant to bring balance, for both good and evil, not eradicate or give elevation to one or the other.

That's what unification would mean actualy, that they would realise that even the Jedi ways have problems, since emotion was also what made Vader save his son.

While i kinda dislike some ideas here like the one of some weird beings as the villains, as a whole i liked some of the theories here

[YT]ul9lTVGTOFA[/YT]

No unification means bring together. I've seen that clip. Some good ideas some terrible. I don't care as much for the "Sith and Jedi" team up to fight something else. To Vong like.

-There's still a lot we don't know about the Sequels. Both previous trilogies had three young leads, so it would make sense for this one to have three as well, leaving a spot open for a son of Luke, presumably Gleeson.

-And there's also still a chance that popular EU characters may appear in some form in the Sequels. The stories will be all new, but they have stated that they plan to "mine" the EU/Legends material for ideas for the Sequels.

For ideas yes. But I doubt they will take any EU characters directly, or even give them the same names.

As long as the bloodline survives it's fine. Killing the bloodline forever would be a huge mistake IMO, since I think the family aspect of the saga is kind of intrinsic to the mythos.

I think everyone is overlooking the fact that in any point later on in the story (who knows how long it will continue now), a character from the "Solo" bloodline can always choose to adopt the Skywalker name for whatever reason. Maybe Skywalker becomes a Jedi-type of surname like Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon etc. I think the Skywalker name will always have a legacy in the saga no matter what.

I think that it would feel weird for the Episodic entries to not feature a Skywalker offspring, the Saga started with Anakin, the first of his line as he was a product of the force, so i think that the "Episodes" should have that as the main focus. You don't need them to have the Skywalker name, i think Leia's kids can work as well, but i think that their blood should have a continuity through the Saga.

Agreed, the Star Wars Saga has been, at its very center (IMHO at least), been about the Skywalker lineage in some form...so I don't think it'd be right for them to suddenly drop all of that when all is said and done by the time Episode 9 comes around.

And whether people loved or hated the PT, the fact of the matter is...we've had two trilogies that had its protagonist possess the Skywalker surname...and superficial or not...I would think that it'd be pretty jarring for some to not continue that legacy in some form.

As long as the bloodline survives it's fine. Killing the bloodline forever would be a huge mistake IMO, since I think the family aspect of the saga is kind of intrinsic to the mythos.

I think everyone is overlooking the fact that in any point later on in the story (who knows how long it will continue now), a character from the "Solo" bloodline can always choose to adopt the Skywalker name for whatever reason. Maybe Skywalker becomes a Jedi-type of surname like Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon etc. I think the Skywalker name will always have a legacy in the saga no matter what.

Honestly, I really hope so.

Once Luke Dies...if they ever make a new trilogy after this one....then there won't be any skywalkers left. It'll just be more about the Solo/Organa family.

For me personally, the name is just as important as the character.

It'd be like taking away the name "Kent" or "Wayne" from either Clark or Bruce within the comics.

The name is very synonymous with the saga itself.

I used to be a BIG fan of Star Wars before all of this was revealed..and now, it's slowly just becoming a regular franchise for me because of these developments.

I'll most likely just watch the film online since unless something better develops...there's no way that I'm giving my money to support this.

Man, JJ Abrams must really hate following tradition...he was willing to nearly throw every thing about Superman's mythology out the window...and we all know what he did with Star Trek...and now...Star Wars.

I will say that even if you want the Skywalker line to continue, sometimes supporting characters are more interesting than the main character. So, having a Skywalker in a supporting role might not be a bad idea at all.

Agreed, the Star Wars Saga has been, at its very center (IMHO at least), been about the Skywalker lineage in some form...so I don't think it'd be right for them to suddenly drop all of that when all is said and done by the time Episode 9 comes around.

Once Luke Dies...if they ever make a new trilogy after this one....then there won't be any skywalkers left. It'll just be more about the Solo/Organa family.

For me personally, the name is just as important as the character.

It'd be like taking away the name "Kent" or "Wayne" from either Clark or Bruce within the comics.

The name is very synonymous with the saga itself.

I used to be a BIG fan of Star Wars before all of this was revealed..and now, it's slowly just becoming a regular franchise for me because of these developments.

I'll most likely just watch the film online since unless something better develops...there's no way that I'm giving my money to support this.

Man, JJ Abrams must really hate following tradition...he was willing to nearly throw every thing about Superman's mythology out the window...and we all know what he did with Star Trek...and now...Star Wars.

Because to many SW goes beyond just the Skywalkers. A lot of the best EU proved that. But as for your snipe about JJ....first this is based off of Lucas's treatment. The creator himself. And he himself said he hated the idea of Luke having children. So to him he must not see it as important as you do.

He did not throw away Trek, it was still a Trek movie, but a light version of it. And still better the most of the other Trek films. If you knew anything about JJ you know that his one passion in life has always been Star Wars. From every documentary done from 2002 onwards he is always in them talking about SW. The man understands SW more then most people.

But again you keep acting like you've seen the film, when we actually know nothing at all about this. But again. You've made up your mind I think.

I will say that even if you want the Skywalker line to continue, sometimes supporting characters are more interesting than the main character. So, having a Skywalker in a supporting role might not be a bad idea at all.

Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see on that one. Personally, I really don't think Boyega has what it takes (and I have seen a few films of his...he's a good actor..but just not who I would have picked. And before someone uses the race card against me, I can think of many Black Actors who I would have wanted in his stead).

And yeah, I hope Luke isn't killed off too early in the new trilogy since he's the only real skywalker left.

I had been hoping to see his force powers unleashed alongside his offspring as the EU have shown, but I guess there goes that idea out the window.

Also in Comics they've gone away from the Wayne's (See Batman Beyond) Or you have your Jon Stewarts, Ben Reilley *sp*, many different Flashes etc etc. Even with iconics there are new iconic people.

You can have new characters and still keep what is essential. A name is just a name. Does not deflate it, but if you narrow it to one thing you will get limiting stories.

Well, I guess my biggest issue is just that I've had this whole mentality of Luke's adventures continuing on with his own offspring, like how the EU did it...that to finally get a new trilogy for it to not only happen...but for the story to be passed to Leia's daughter and Boyega...well, it's not easy to let one's dream go like that.

Hell, I would just be happy if one of the new young characters did turn out to be his son, but isn't used as the main protagonist like Ridley and Boyega will be.

And we have no idea if that will be the case or not. We know literally nothing about this film.

It has an amazing cast and crew behind it. JJ is perfect for Wars it's something he's been inspired by all his life. And when you hear him talk about it, the man gets Star Wars. More than most directors out there. That and Kasdan on board could not make me feel safer.

And we have no idea if that will be the case or not. We know literally nothing about this film.

It has an amazing cast and crew behind it. JJ is perfect for Wars it's something he's been inspired by all his life. And when you hear him talk about it, the man gets Star Wars. More than most directors out there. That and Kasdan on board could not make me feel safer.

tumblr_n4jhx56LFQ1s31no7o1_r1_400.gif

I don't get the Abrams love, but he does actually seem excited about this franchise, unlike Trek. On the other hand, Lucas has set the bar so low, it can really can't get any worse than Attack of the Clones.

We have no idea lol. And that's the fun part of all of this. It's all uncharted. The EU even by Lucas was always said was not "canon" It's why it was the third tier of the Holocron. He always said he would never do it that way. So for me it was easy to let go of the EU. There will always be those books there, but they were never meant to be canon.

This movie is in such secrecy, we know so little. What little we do know may be just pure rumor.

I don't get the Abrams love, but he does actually seem excited about this franchise, unlike Trek. On the other hand, Lucas has set the bar so low, it can really can't get any worse than Attack of the Clones.

I think JJ is a very talented director. I still think ST09 was one of the best adventure films I had seen in decades. I will agree it's not the perfect Trek film, but he himself said he was never a Trek fan, and still really isn't. I think one time he said it was the closest he would ever get to Star Wars like film. So he took it. Originally I remember reading he did not want to do STID, but Paramount convinced him to do so.

I think the man has talent, but just has not really worked on anything that could unleash his potential. I think he was made for SW ever since I saw ST09. He gets the undertone, the vibe the feel.

I don't think they would have put him to helm the first of a new generation if they did not think he was capable of bringing it to greater levels.

I thought that Star Trek was a very well directed, but soulless movie. The writing was also kind of spotty, but then, that is probably the most authentically Trek thing about the movie.

So, I agree the man has talent. Or competency at any rate. Maybe he can mix that with some passion for this. We'll see.

I thought that Star Trek was a very well directed, but soulless movie. The writing was also kind of spotty, but then, that is probably the most authentically Trek thing about the movie.

So, I agree the man has talent. Or competency at any rate. Maybe he can mix that with some passion for this. We'll see.

See I think completely the opposite. I thought ST09 had lots of soul. Completely disagree. It had flaws, but it being soulless was something I don't agree with at all. It's one thing I will say about all of JJ's films is that they have heart. Other flaws, but heart.

The Irony here, for me, is that the cast that Abrams had assembled for Star Trek, is what I would have considered to be a perfect cast for a Star wars film...

Tis True...Honestly, I think I would have been happier if no one had any children here, so everything would be fair play.

We have no idea lol.

Just when I had some hope...

FvdwW.gif

:o:oldrazz:

The Irony here, for me, is that the cast that Abrams had assembled for Star Trek, is what I would have considered to be a perfect cast for a Star wars film...

Tis True...Honestly, I think I would have been happier if no one had any children here, so everything would be fair play.

Just when I had some hope...

FvdwW.gif

:o:oldrazz:

Just to keep you up at night ;)

Out of curiosity, if there were only two options available and where you could only choose one of them, which would you choose between...

1. We get this trilogy featuring the children of the original trio, but none of the old timers come back...with the explanation being that they all died off prior to the events of this episode..or that they some of them come back but for a very limited capacity..(cameos really)

OR

2. We get the old timers back as main characters again but none of them have children and thus the new generation of characters are completely unrelated to them and when the old trio dies, so does their generation and the Skywalker/Solo line.

Out of curiosity, if there were only two options available and where you could only choose one of them, which would you choose between...

1. We get this trilogy featuring the children of the original trio, but none of the old timers come back...with the explanation being that they all died off prior to the events of this episode..or that they some of them come back but for a very limited capacity..(cameos really)

OR

2. We get the old timers back as main characters again but none of them have children and thus the new generation of characters are completely unrelated to them and when the old trio dies, so does their generation and the Skywalker/Solo line.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go for the first one. It fits more with the transition of the prequel trilogy into the original trilogy. I think since it's considered ONE big saga in 9 parts, I think the thru line of the Skywalker bloodline bringing Balance to the Force makes sense. I prefer the original three being support characters, with Luke being the (OT) Obi-Wan of the ST. If they want to beef up Han's role like Qui-Gon where he is the one who dies heroically (ala Qui-Gon in PT and Obi-Wan in OT), I'm fine with it.

And note, if Daisy is Han & Leia's daughter, that's still the Skywalker bloodline, even if her last name is Solo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"