The Force Awakens Moving on from Skywalker: Yes or No?

And note, if Daisy is Han & Leia's daughter, that's still the Skywalker bloodline, even if her last name is Solo.

By default really, imho. Heck, Leia is also Anakin's daughter...but I really don't think people really see her as a "Skywalker" in the same sense that Luke is viewed as by fans due to how much they distanced her character from that legacy, along with her surname as well.

Plus, it's kind of weird (and somewhat sad) to think that once Luke hits the bucket...there will be no more characters left with the surname of skywalker...and even if some people think of it as only a "Name"...might I remind those folks that it's a name that's been very synonymous with the entire saga itself.

I'm still hoping that Gleeson's character is to be revealed as being Luke's offspring.

I really don't like the idea of Boyega and Ridley being the ones to carry on this franchise once the original trio finally kick the bucket.

By default really, imho. Heck, Leia is also Anakin's daughter...but I really don't think people really see her as a "Skywalker" in the same sense that Luke is viewed as by fans due to how much they distanced her character from that legacy, along with her surname as well.

Plus, it's kind of weird (and somewhat sad) to think that once Luke hits the bucket...there will be no more characters left with the surname of skywalker...and even if some people think of it as only a "Name"...might I remind those folks that it's a name that's been very synonymous with the entire saga itself.

I'm still hoping that Gleeson's character is to be revealed as being Luke's offspring.

Well, I know Lucas's original intent is that Luke doesn't married (he sort of reluctantly ok'ed the Mara Jade marriage, because I think at that point, he thought he would not do anything that takes place after Jedi). But, as we know, things change.

Maybe Luke doesn't adhere to the "no attachment" rules. As others suggest, maybe part of Balancing the Force is changing the old ways. It was partially trying to enforce no attachments on Anakin that leads him down the darkside and it was Anakin's attachment to his son that returns him to the Light Side and fulfill his destiny.

I really don't like the idea of Boyega and Ridley being the ones to carry on this franchise once the original trio finally kick the bucket.

Well, bear in mind there will be a third, so let's see who that turns out to be. Plus, I think the droids will be a constant.

Yes the name has been synonymous, but not the only thing about it. Star Wars is Star Wars, it's own name is synonymous. A lot of EU showed that it could be just as popular with out the name of Skywalker in it.

I trust JJ and Nina Gold's casting. They spent over a year looking for the right cast. They did not just point at two people on the street and say "Hey you wanna be in Star Wars?" I'll trust what they saw in them after spending a year looking for the right individuals.

Well, I know Lucas's original intent is that Luke doesn't married (he sort of reluctantly ok'ed the Mara Jade marriage, because I think at that point, he thought he would not do anything that takes place after Jedi). But, as we know, things change.

Maybe Luke doesn't adhere to the "no attachment" rules. As others suggest, maybe part of Balancing the Force is changing the old ways. It was partially trying to enforce no attachments on Anakin that leads him down the darkside and it was Anakin's attachment to his son that returns him to the Light Side and fulfill his destiny.

Well, bear in mind there will be a third, so let's see who that turns out to be. Plus, I think the droids will be a constant.

Out of curiosity, do you or anyone here know if Lucas had revealed on how he had originally planned on carrying on the franchise when he was still thinking about doing stories post ROTJ? I mean were Leia and Han really going to be the only ones to have children, thus, being the only source of providing some sort of lineage and transition from the old and new generation?

I think the thing that really bums me out with the idea of Luke not having his own son, or even son figure, is that I had really..REALLY (lol), wanted to see on how Luke would be like as a father figure himself given on how central his relationship with his own father was to the overall saga.

Thus, seeing as how he may not have any children or anyone like that to him in this new trilogy, I feel like I've been robbed of that.

Also, considering that Adam Driver is most likely the "Third" member of the new trio as opposed to Gleeson, I really don't think it'll make that much difference since I think Driver is pretty much a shoe in for being a villain/tragic villain, leaving Boyega and Ridley as the only heroes of the story when it comes to the new generation.

Yes the name has been synonymous, but not the only thing about it. Star Wars is Star Wars, it's own name is synonymous. A lot of EU showed that it could be just as popular with out the name of Skywalker in it.

I trust JJ and Nina Gold's casting. They spent over a year looking for the right cast. They did not just point at two people on the street and say "Hey you wanna be in Star Wars?" I'll trust what they saw in them after spending a year looking for the right individuals.

Ironically enough, the EU isn't even considered canon at all for the franchise anymore.

The only things that are considered canon now, outside of the films, are the Clone wars series and the upcoming Rebels one...and a Skywalker was featured prominently in one half of those.

Honestly, if they really spent that long looking for the right actors and feel like Boyega was the best choice, then perhaps the characteristics of Boyega's designated role isn't what's best for the franchise imho.

I've seen the guy's work...and the dude, he has skills as an actor, but he just doesn't scream to me as someone that would be right for being THE MALE LEAD to the Star Wars franchise in the similar way on how Hayden didn't for the role of Anakin.

Out of curiosity, do you or anyone here know if Lucas had revealed on how he had originally planned on carrying on the franchise when he was still thinking about doing stories post ROTJ? I mean were Leia and Han really going to be the only ones to have children, thus, being the only source of providing some sort of lineage and transition from the old and new generation?

I think the thing that really bums me out with the idea of Luke not having his own son, or even son figure, is that I had really..REALLY (lol), wanted to see on how Luke would be like as a father figure himself given on how central his relationship with his own father was to the overall saga.

Thus, seeing as how he may not have any children or anyone like that to him in this new trilogy, I feel like I've been robbed of that.

Also, considering that Adam Driver is most likely the "Third" member of the new trio as opposed to Gleeson, I really don't think it'll make that much difference since I think Driver is pretty much a shoe in for being a villain/tragic villain, leaving Boyega and Ridley as the only heroes of the story when it comes to the new generation.
-I don't see why Driver is more likely to be the third lead. I'd say he's most likely going to be a villain, maybe an apprentice to Sydow's character, assuming Sydow is a villain. We really don't know anything yet.

Ironically enough, the EU isn't even considered canon at all for the franchise anymore.

The only things that are considered canon now, outside of the films, are the Clone wars series and the upcoming Rebels one...and a Skywalker was featured prominently in one half of those.

Honestly, if they really spent that long looking for the right actors and feel like Boyega was the best choice, then perhaps the characteristics of Boyega's designated role isn't what's best for the franchise imho.

I've seen the guy's work...and the dude, he has skills as an actor, but he just doesn't scream to me as someone that would be right for being THE MALE LEAD to the Star Wars franchise in the similar way on how Hayden didn't for the role of Anakin.

Ya. I disagree there. With Kasdan one of the big fathers of Star Wars behind it, he knows what Star Wars is. So does JJ. Boyega can act circles around Hayden. And actually with the PT I don't blame Hayden fully, I actually blame the scripts/direction, even Daniel Day Lewis would have struggled with it. But again, I was watching the old review of ST09 with Rian Johnson (who is directing Episode VIII). It was funny how all of them said before the film they thought Chris Pine had no charisma, or presence, and all praised him after seeing the film. I trust JJ with this, and I think on top of that Boyega has what it takes. Disney would not have agreed if he could not do the main lead role.

From rumors Boyega's character is a different type then we've seen before, a bad guy turning good. And it expands the SW style. It does not need to be set pieces all just like the OT. SW can be more.

-I don't see why Driver is more likely to be the third lead. I'd say he's most likely going to be a villain, maybe an apprentice to Sydow's character, assuming Sydow is a villain. We really don't know anything yet.

He is it sounds like. His friend from "Girls" just blurted it out today you can see that article on Jedi News UK.

To be fair just because somebody is a male with last name Skywalker doesn't mean that you'll automatically like him. He could be a jerk, whiny, bland, or generic. Or the best thing since sliced bread. :woot::woot:

Last edited:
Any official new character names yet?

Ya. I disagree there. With Kasdan one of the big fathers of Star Wars behind it, he knows what Star Wars is. So does JJ. Boyega can act circles around Hayden. And actually with the PT I don't blame Hayden fully, I actually blame the scripts/direction, even Daniel Day Lewis would have struggled with it. But again, I was watching the old review of ST09 with Rian Johnson (who is directing Episode VIII). It was funny how all of them said before the film they thought Chris Pine had no charisma, or presence, and all praised him after seeing the film. I trust JJ with this, and I think on top of that Boyega has what it takes. Disney would not have agreed if he could not do the main lead role.

From rumors Boyega's character is a different type then we've seen before, a bad guy turning good. And it expands the SW style. It does not need to be set pieces all just like the OT. SW can be more.

Well, I guess the only thing that I can do is wait and see on how Boyega does...but I won't deny that Boyega and Ridley being the new leads have definitely destroyed most of my anticipation and excitement for this franchise.

I used to be a big fan of the saga, but now, it's just something that's of small interest now.

Heck, if someone like Anthony Mackie or Idris Elba were in the main role, then I'd be up for it...but I just don't like Boyega as it stands right now. I wish I could be proven wrong when the time comes.

And Ridley being the successor to the Jedi Legacy just sounds like a bad fan fiction idea to me.

As it stands right now, JJ Abrams has completely ruined my love for a franchise that I've cared about for the last 20 years.

Well, I guess the only thing that I can do is wait and see on how Boyega does...but I won't deny that Boyega and Ridley being the new leads have definitely destroyed most of my anticipation and excitement for this franchise.

I used to be a big fan of the saga, but now, it's just something that's of small interest now.

Heck, if someone like Anthony Mackie or Idris Elba were in the main role, then I'd be up for it...but I just don't like Boyega as it stands right now. I wish I could be proven wrong when the time comes.

And Ridley being the successor to the Jedi Legacy just sounds like a bad fan fiction idea to me.

As it stands right now, JJ Abrams has completely ruined my love for a franchise that I've cared about for the last 20 years.

George beat him to it. About 17 years ago.

JJ has restored my faith in it and as Kevin Smith said today on a video about the footage he got to see, and stuff being filmed, JJ gets Star Wars and that Kevin said he had not felt this way in 30 years. And honestly the EU read like fan fiction a lot of the time. Having everyone get married, and the terrible "Legacy of the Force" stuff. Nah, this already sounds a lot better than the EU. I don't see how a woman being the successor is bad fan fiction.

EDIT:

And here is Kevin Smith's quote. I suggest watching the whole thing at /Film, but I won't link it due to the language.

It looks fantastic. So anyone out there wondering if hes going to pull it off, hes pulling it off. He showed me cut scenes, he showed me sequences, images, pictures. I cried and I hugged that guy. And I’m sure as I was crying and hugging on him that he was thinking “time is money” because theyre making a movie. But he got it. He was very flattered. And I was like “Honestly dude, you’re doing it. You’re making my childhood again. You’re doing our Star Wars. What I saw, blew me away.

Last edited:
I don't see how a woman being the successor is bad fan fiction.

It's not because Ridley is a woman that I have a problem with the situation. It's her being Han and Leia's daughter that I have issues with.

If Ridley was Luke's daughter...I'd be excited about things.

Plus, as bad as the Prequel Trilogy was, at least it was building up to something that we were all familiar with (the Original Trilogy).

I don't know, maybe if they end up making Episodes 10-12 someday with the Solo and Skywalker family out of the picture, I may end up being more up for things.....but to change things THIS MUCH after six episodes of the standard formula....it's just too much to accept.

Plus...I fail to see on how it makes sense to go from Anakin...Luke...then either Boyega or Ridley as the next Main Protagonist of the entire Saga/Legacy.

And people say that Luke falling into the "Obi-Wan" role will be great...well last time I checked, Obi-Wan really didn't get to do much in the Original Trilogy, despite being so prominent in the Prequel one...and given that Luke is my favorite character, that really leaves little to desired in seeing Luke's status downgraded that much.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think I've just come to the solid conclusion that the saga isn't just it for me anymore.

With this new direction that J.J. Abrams, I really can't see Star Wars as "Star Wars" again.

I'm beginning to have a first-hand basis on what some of the old-timers and other fans must have felt like when the Prequel Trilogy came about, but at least they had the consolation of knowing that their Original Trilogy would still be the same...for the most part.

Here, everything really changes. For me, J.J. Abrams film is no more important than the likes of Bay's Transformers' films.

I just can't get behind Boyega as the new lead, and honestly...I shudder to think on the kind of pre-teen drama that will come with a love triangle that will be attached with Ridley's character and her two male leads. Given that none of them are secretly her long lost brother, we can bet that this will be dragged on for the entire trilogy.

Seriously, why can't we ever get a franchise where whenever we have a trio consisting of two men and one women, a love triangle isn't put into play for dramatic effect?

I believed that the next logical step after ROTJ would be to see on how Luke would handle his own relationship with his offspring, but seeing as that isn't happening, we can scratch that out of the window.

And the reason why i further add that Ridley will never be viewed as a Skywalker to me is that she's nothing more than Luke's niece from a Solo-in Law of Luke's. I highly doubt that they'll play up the uncle-niece relationship as a important factor in the new trilogy.

I can only hope that I'll live long enough to see a new trilogy formed where this kind of BS isn't present as much, and by then..the thought of having a Skywalker in the lead will no longer be present and accustomed to.

This may very well end up being a great film, but it sure as hell won't end up being a great STAR WARS film imho due to what they're doing. They can have all of the upgraded effects, interesting plots, and great lightsaber battles, but it really won't mean much in the long run for me.

Well, at least I still have DC films.

You have not even seen a single screenshot of the film, and you've already condemned it. You have a narrow view of what Star Wars is. (And that's not what most PT haters hated against the PT it was just quality of film). Pre-teen? There is no pre-teen characters in this. There have also been many adult dramas that have love triangles. We don't even know if there will be a love triangle. But again I think you are making your decision, have already done so, and your criteria for what SW is, is honestly one of the narrowest I've ever seen. They are all in their young 20's. You are screaming all this ..and have not even seen the film, nor know ANYTHING about it.

All I can say about that post is...wow and more ....wow. Having everything hinge off of the possibility of Luke not having kids is your only criteria for SW....very few will agree with that.

Honestly, I think I've just come to the solid conclusion that the saga isn't just it for me anymore.

With this new direction that J.J. Abrams, I really can't see Star Wars as "Star Wars" again.

I'm beginning to have a first-hand basis on what some of the old-timers and other fans must have felt like when the Prequel Trilogy came about, but at least they had the consolation of knowing that their Original Trilogy would still be the same...for the most part.

Here, everything really changes. For me, J.J. Abrams film is no more important than the likes of Bay's Transformers' films.

I just can't get behind Boyega as the new lead, and honestly...I shudder to think on the kind of pre-teen drama that will come with a love triangle that will be attached with Ridley's character and her two male leads. Given that none of them are secretly her long lost brother, we can bet that this will be dragged on for the entire trilogy.

Seriously, why can't we ever get a franchise where whenever we have a trio consisting of two men and one women, a love triangle isn't put into play for dramatic effect?

I believed that the next logical step after ROTJ would be to see on how Luke would handle his own relationship with his offspring, but seeing as that isn't happening, we can scratch that out of the window.

And the reason why i further add that Ridley will never be viewed as a Skywalker to me is that she's nothing more than Luke's niece from a Solo-in Law of Luke's. I highly doubt that they'll play up the uncle-niece relationship as a important factor in the new trilogy.

I can only hope that I'll live long enough to see a new trilogy formed where this kind of BS isn't present as much, and by then..the thought of having a Skywalker in the lead will no longer be present and accustomed to.

This may very well end up being a great film, but it sure as hell won't end up being a great STAR WARS film imho due to what they're doing. They can have all of the upgraded effects, interesting plots, and great lightsaber battles, but it really won't mean much in the long run for me.

Well, at least I still have DC films.

Are you serious? This whole post is one of the most hyperbolic, overreactive posts I've seen. There's no official details on the story, and you're already counting this movie out?

This post is everything that's wrong with fans following preproduction these days. Not to mention is such a narrow minded view that the new series has to be Luke's offspring, which limits the full potential of the Star Wars movies. This post is nothing but overdramatic drivel.

Ridley not being Luke daughter being a gamrbreaker is such an overdramatic nitpick all the permawhite and organics fans are facepalming your post. If you think Luke still won't be an important part, or his legacy won't be carried on, you have definitely undermined Luke as a character and the franchise in general.

Star Wars doesn't need big stars. It never needed big stars as the brand is big enough to expose itself to the world and get butts in seats. To say that this series needed Elba or Mackie without even seeing any footage of Boyega at all is even more narrow minded. Boyega auditioned, and they obviously saw something in him that made Abrams say "that's my guy".

But go ahead and continue to completely misinterpret what Star Wars is really all about. Some fan.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but Ridley will have exactly as much Skywalker in her bloodline than any child of Luke's would. Completely brushing that aside is beyond me. And yeah, her last name will be Solo. So? That makes her even cooler.

And if she's to be mentored in The Force in any way, then obviously her relationship with her mysterious Uncle Luke will be a key focus.

Premature worrying is premature.

Okay, I can admit that I did overreact with my last two posts after taking some time to cool down. So then let me ask everyone this, what do you see star wars as being truly about? Clearly my whole view of seeing the franchise as being centered on the Skywalker family is what's causing me to have issues with this film, so I'm curious to hear on what more level minded posters see the saga as. Maybe if I can see on how you guys see the saga, it'll make things a hell of a lot more clearer for me.

And for the record, in regards to my concern with luke, given on how the saga doesnt have a great track record in prominently featuring the old wise mentor figure a lot within a given trilogy, that's why I was/am concerned with how much luke will be featured in. Plus, the biggest reason why I wanted luke to have his own child was so that he would be more involved with that given protagonist's journey in the new trilogy.

Okay, I can admit that I did overreact with my last two posts after taking some time to cool down. So then let me ask everyone this, what do you see star wars as being truly about? Clearly my whole view of seeing the franchise as being centered on the Skywalker family is what's causing me to have issues with this film, so I'm curious to hear on what more level minded posters see the saga as. Maybe if I can see on how you guys see the saga, it'll make things a hell of a lot more clearer for me.

And for the record, in regards to my concern with luke, given on how the saga doesnt have a great track record in prominently featuring the old wise mentor figure a lot within a given trilogy, that's why I was/am concerned with how much luke will be featured in. Plus, the biggest reason why I wanted luke to have his own child was so that he would be more involved with that given protagonist's journey in the new trilogy.

Star Wars can be about a lot of things. Actually I see Star Wars as a genre onto itself. It is a western/mythology/knights/war/romance/sci-fi/adventure mixed together in a beautiful way. It's more about the world that was created, Jedi, Sith, The Force, aliens, odd planets etc. But having adventures with in them. The Clone Wars (great series) showed how versatile Star Wars can be in terms of genre. Foloni and his team created many different episodes with completely different styles/themes. From film noir, to dark revenge tales. Star Wars is versatile. It's more about a feel, a genre, a style that is Star Wars. Again many video games and books that are nothing to do with the main story have proven that.

The EU (yes we know it's no longer canon but it's still there in terms of stories told) showed through video games, books, comics, that some of the best ones had nothing to do with the characters we know. KOTOR showed you can go beyond names, and still retain the Star Wars world and spirit. The Dark Forces Series did that as well. Even a lot of episodes of TCW did. Rebels will have almost nothing to do with them. Even the people at Disney realize that Star Wars is much bigger of a universe then just them. If they limit themselves to that then it will get stale quickly Because Disney will want to show how vast this universe is. We have had 6 films, they will be making many many more. So we only have those 6, but that does not mean the future has to always been just one family. But with the main episodes it's clear they are following to a point the blood line.

The name Skywalker is a great name, I love it, my dogs middle name is that. But it's not the core of Star Wars. It is the genre, the story of good vs evil, a genre onto itself. Shows like Rebels and TCW show you can go beyond what the films have done, and still have as wonderful Star Wars stories out there.

To get involved with characters, just having a name is not enough, or really the main thing. It's all about just good writing, good story telling. Star Wars is a vast scope, and it's massive scope has allowed it to be in various mediums, some with great quality, video games, books, comics TV shows etc. Star Wars can go to many different areas and stories, and still be Star Wars. Otherwise it would have fallen into oblivion a long time ago.

To me it's not a matter of screentime. As long as Luke's character is treated with the proper reverence and he is portrayed as a larger than life, legendary figure, and is instrumental in passing along key pieces of wisdom to the next generation, then all will be fine. You can say Obi-Wan didn't get a ton of screentime in the OT, but he certainly was an important figure. Now we're dealing with an already established character, one of the most famous protagonists in all of pop culture. I don't think they're just going to give him a nothing cameo role and write him out of the story at the soonest possible convenience. On the contrary, the rumors suggest that J.J. revised the script to beef up the roles of the original cast.

And again, Ridley WILL be a part of the Skywalker family. I believe the Skywalker family should absolutely be a key throughout the "episodic" Star Wars saga, but families can branch out too. Having Leia and Han's offspring carry the Skywalker bloodline forward is the most organic way to advance the story here given the pieces on the board.

Star Wars can be about a lot of things. Actually I see Star Wars as a genre onto itself. It is a western/mythology/knights/war/romance/sci-fi/adventure mixed together in a beautiful way. It's more about the world that was created, Jedi, Sith, The Force, aliens, odd planets etc. But having adventures with in them. The Clone Wars (great series) showed how versatile Star Wars can be in terms of genre. Foloni and his team created many different episodes with completely different styles/themes. From film noir, to dark revenge tales. Star Wars is versatile. It's more about a feel, a genre, a style that is Star Wars. Again many video games and books that are nothing to do with the main story have proven that.

The EU (yes we know it's no longer canon but it's still there in terms of stories told) showed through video games, books, comics, that some of the best ones had nothing to do with the characters we know. KOTOR showed you can go beyond names, and still retain the Star Wars world and spirit. The Dark Forces Series did that as well. Even a lot of episodes of TCW did. Rebels will have almost nothing to do with them. Even the people at Disney realize that Star Wars is much bigger of a universe then just them. If they limit themselves to that then it will get stale quickly Because Disney will want to show how vast this universe is. We have had 6 films, they will be making many many more. So we only have those 6, but that does not mean the future has to always been just one family. But with the main episodes it's clear they are following to a point the blood line.

The name Skywalker is a great name, I love it, my dogs middle name is that. But it's not the core of Star Wars. It is the genre, the story of good vs evil, a genre onto itself. Shows like Rebels and TCW show you can go beyond what the films have done, and still have as wonderful Star Wars stories out there.

To get involved with characters, just having a name is not enough, or really the main thing. It's all about just good writing, good story telling. Star Wars is a vast scope, and it's massive scope has allowed it to be in various mediums, some with great quality, video games, books, comics TV shows etc. Star Wars can go to many different areas and stories, and still be Star Wars. Otherwise it would have fallen into oblivion a long time ago.

When you put it like, I guess it does make sense...as you say, getting the bigger picture of the entire saga. And i won't deny that I have enjoyed seeing stories, involving characters that weren't related to the main branch, take place in other forms of medium (e.g. starkiller from TFU).

I guess it really just boils down to my preconceived notions of what I was looking for in a "next generation" cast for the franchise, and I guess it really isn't fair to judge the cast without having seen their performance in the film.

In your opinion, would you be personally okay though if luke did end up being the last character within the franchise to bear the Skywalker name, since like u said, it is at least a great name.

To me it's not a matter of screentime. As long as Luke's character is treated with the proper reverence and he is portrayed as a larger than life, legendary figure, and is instrumental in passing along key pieces of wisdom to the next generation, then all will be fine. You can say Obi-Wan didn't get a ton of screentime in the OT, but he certainly was an important figure. Now we're dealing with an already established character, one of the most famous protagonists in all of pop culture. I don't think they're just going to give him a nothing cameo role and write him out of the story at the soonest possible convenience. On the contrary, the rumors suggest that J.J. revised the script to beef up the roles of the original cast.

And again, Ridley WILL be a part of the Skywalker family. I believe the Skywalker family should absolutely be a key throughout the "episodic" Star Wars saga, but families can branch out too. Having Leia and Han's offspring carry the Skywalker bloodline forward is the most organic way to advance the story here given the pieces on the board.

Honestly, if they make it work....then ill be the first one to admit that I was wrong and apologize to every member that I've stressed out. Again, the only real reason why I wanted luke to be the one with a kid is because it was he who experienced most of the pivotal family drama in the ot and I wanted to see that continued through him. Plus, unlike luke's closeness with obi wan, what are the chances that they'll focus as much on luke's bond with his niece when she already has loving parents around?

And if we go by that round table photo of the cast, where ppl have speculated that the actors were seated next to the members that they'll have the most interactions with, it seems like luke drew the short straw since the only actor sittting closest to him is c3p0

Shmi

K0nnwNE.jpg

P00zlUU.jpg

(somebody else put this together)

You may or may not want to read the alleged second Abrams/Kasdan draft plot dump from March, herolee... ya probably won't like it right now but at least can prepare for the worst if that happens anywhere near to what it said.

Shmi

K0nnwNE.jpg

P00zlUU.jpg

(somebody else put this together)

You may or may not want to read the alleged second Abrams/Kasdan draft plot dump from March, herolee... ya probably won't like it right now but at least can prepare for the worst if that happens anywhere near to what it said.

Honestly, I'm way past the point of being prepared. I seiously doubt that ill be shocked by anything at this point, unless it's revealed that we should expect to see a twilight like drama in the mix.lol

And again, my problem was never in ridley but who's daughter she's playing, which is a given now

When you put it like, I guess it does make sense...as you say, getting the bigger picture of the entire saga. And i won't deny that I have enjoyed seeing stories, involving characters that weren't related to the main branch, take place in other forms of medium (e.g. starkiller from TFU).

I guess it really just boils down to my preconceived notions of what I was looking for in a "next generation" cast for the franchise, and I guess it really isn't fair to judge the cast without having seen their performance in the film.

In your opinion, would you be personally okay though if luke did end up being the last character within the franchise to bear the Skywalker name, since like u said, it is at least a great name.

See and I think that's where the problem lies. Is a preconcived notion. Lucas said since the 90's don't hold onto the EU, which some still are. He said that there were things he allowed, but would never do with films, hence why he created the Holocron for canon. Ya, I agree the EU has characters that are not the main ones we know that are very enjoyable. Darth Malak/Revan are some of the greatest villains in SW lore. And have no connections with previous films.

I am fine if it is the last Skywalker name, it makes it that much more unique. But if they find a way to continue it who knows? But it really comes down to characterization, where it gets you to love a new individual regardless of their name. Again I think of characters like HK-47 probably one of the greatest droids in SW lore.

But ya I think SW is too big to be kept narrow, and honestly the EU would never have thrived like it did if it was kept that way. Lucas always said SW was a massive universe and could go beyond. Originally he thought about making each SW film completely different with other characters. But just the point that ya you can be bigger. Go through time with the SW universe the EU stuff from 25,000-2000 BBY is amazing stuff. Great stories.

Well, there's Kurtz claim of what the ST was to be... Vader dies in Jedi as does Han, Leia becomes the queen of her people and is alone, and Luke goes off across the galaxy in search of his sister (who is not Leia) and together they face the Emperor. Obviously that all changed.

He never revealed anything he would do post ROTJ. But, in the late 80's and early 90's, when he ok'ed the Thrawn Trilogy, starting the main EU, he kept his options open for the PT and ST. The books could not really reference anything from the Clone Wars (Zahn had to change things about his plans for an Obi-Wan clone) and the books could not go beyond 20-25 years post Jedi. That, to me, made it seems like the ST would take place in that time 25 years past Jedi and initially meant to at least account for the books.

Of course, that all changed as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"