The Force Awakens Moving on from Skywalker: Yes or No?

That's why George made the Holocron. With the 5 tiers of canon. The books were always the third tier, same with video games. He always said that if there were films or TV shows made in any of those time lines that it would over-write them. He had also said that if he were to do anything else it would always over-write. Hence why he said certain things he did not like about the EU.

But now of course the Holocron is gone, and there is just one canon starting with the films/novelizations/TCW.

See and I think that's where the problem lies. Is a preconcived notion. Lucas said since the 90's don't hold onto the EU, which some still are. He said that there were things he allowed, but would never do with films, hence why he created the Holocron for canon. Ya, I agree the EU has characters that are not the main ones we know that are very enjoyable. Darth Malak/Revan are some of the greatest villains in SW lore. And have no connections with previous films.

I am fine if it is the last Skywalker name, it makes it that much more unique. But if they find a way to continue it who knows? But it really comes down to characterization, where it gets you to love a new individual regardless of their name. Again I think of characters like HK-47 probably one of the greatest droids in SW lore.

But ya I think SW is too big to be kept narrow, and honestly the EU would never have thrived like it did if it was kept that way. Lucas always said SW was a massive universe and could go beyond. Originally he thought about making each SW film completely different with other characters. But just the point that ya you can be bigger. Go through time with the SW universe the EU stuff from 25,000-2000 BBY is amazing stuff. Great stories.

Well, it's definitely easier said than done.lol

Unfortunately for me, I didn't have the luxury in branching past the 6 films as much as others have.

The only things that I've been exposed to that aren't the films are the Clone Wars series and the Force Unleashed Game, which was essentially the first time that I found myself invested in a character that wasn't a part of the film franchise.

And to respond to another poster, it doesn't take a genius to know or to have a good guess on who most of the main cast are/will be playing in this film.

Ridley is definitely playing Han and Leia's daughter...

Boyega will most likely play a Powerful Force Sensitive/Renegade that Luke and Company come across, where his path towards becoming a jedi will be one of the main focus of the trilogy.

Adam is likely playing a Darker version of Han Solo...

And Gleeson is probably playing the White Version of Lando...lol

Most reports of Adam is actually he's just a villain. His friend from Girls just blurted that out. Boyega is from what most rumors are saying an Ex-Imperial soldier that slowly starts to turn good.

But there is much better EU then TFU. Actually that was one of the worse ones I thought. KOTOR still stands as one of the greatest video games, and one of the best Star Wars stories in any of the mediums.

Most reports of Adam is actually he's just a villain. His friend from Girls just blurted that out. Boyega is from what most rumors are saying an Ex-Imperial soldier that slowly starts to turn good.

Interesting, who between Boyega and Driver do you see having the best chance of being a character with latent force potential?

Also, I'm curious as to why they just can't announce to the public on who everyone is playing, especially since as I mentioned..it's almost a given on who everyone is.

Though as I said earlier...if that round table picture of the cast and crew is of any indication, it seems like Luke (Mark) won't have much to do with most of the other characters..sans 3P0

Well after a few weeks of thinking over this and with A LOT of the wise words from Solidus, I think I'm almost ready.lol, to finally move on from this issue that I had at first with this film.

Sure, I'm still a bit disappointed that it didn't pan out as I had originally thought, but when I think about the franchise is (or can become) bigger than just one Skywalker character and how this new trilogy may be meant to give closure to the old franchise and reignite it in a new direction, it's not as bad to think about.

Course I'll still be waiting and seeing as to what Boyega and Ridley bring to the table for their respective roles, namely the former since I'm not completely sold on him as of yet.

I just hope that unlike the previous two trilogies, that this new one does a better job on focusing more on the "ensemble" aspect of the cast as opposed to focusing more on one singular character.

Well after a few weeks of thinking over this and with A LOT of the wise words from Solidus, I think I'm almost ready.lol, to finally move on from this issue that I had at first with this film.

Sure, I'm still a bit disappointed that it didn't pan out as I had originally thought, but when I think about the franchise is (or can become) bigger than just one Skywalker character and how this new trilogy may be meant to give closure to the old franchise and reignite it in a new direction, it's not as bad to think about.

Course I'll still be waiting and seeing as to what Boyega and Ridley bring to the table for their respective roles, namely the former since I'm not completely sold on him as of yet.

I just hope that unlike the previous two trilogies, that this new one does a better job on focusing more on the "ensemble" aspect of the cast as opposed to focusing more on one singular character.

Sounds good ;) Now we can all get excited and cross fingers for pictures and behind the scene clips!

My personal opinion is that the movies should be in far far future beyond the books, games, etc. It should be a completely new story with completely new characters. I think this would have been a far better idea then what they are currently doing.

Creating a story line that so far in the future past any content all ready created in books, comics, and various games allows for a completely new story to be created unrestricted by past content. While at the same time allowing the novels, games and comics to be connected to that universe.

My biggest fear here is that Disney will pump out Star Wars for sake of money and the fact that they can. Star Wars will become watered down and become trival in audience mind. It will become another Star Trek where as time goes on the writing gets worse and worse and have to resort to reboot to carry it on.

Some times it's better to let something go then it is to keep it going for the sake of keeping it going. I just feel much will be lost by make more Star Wars movies.

Completely disagree. The books/games and EU of the past 30 years showed that this has a more massive universe than that of even the MCU or DCU. It all comes down to quality, and the team they have is a great one. In the future I will bet they will do something KOTOR like, something compeltely different/new. But Lucas did have treatments of the sequel trilogy since 79, as well as a possible X-XII. Doing completely new won't make something better either. It always comes down to execution. SW allows for new stories, but also continuing ones as well. Which I bet we will get.

This "we fear Disney" thing is kinda an old schtick. George is the father of "SW" for money. Come on, SW invented the modern day blockbuster. Disney is smart enough to get a great team behind all these projects, and the quality will matter most.

This "we fear Disney" thing is kinda an old schtick. George is the father of "SW" for money. Come on, SW invented the modern day blockbuster. Disney is smart enough to get a great team behind all these projects, and the quality will matter most.

I think that honor still goes to Jaws. But, Lucas is definitely the father of merchandizing the modern blockbuster.

Completely disagree. The books/games and EU of the past 30 years showed that this has a more massive universe than that of even the MCU or DCU. It all comes down to quality, and the team they have is a great one. In the future I will bet they will do something KOTOR like, something compeltely different/new. But Lucas did have treatments of the sequel trilogy since 79, as well as a possible X-XII. Doing completely new won't make something better either. It always comes down to execution. SW allows for new stories, but also continuing ones as well. Which I bet we will get.

You're right Star Wars is a massive Universe with lots of room to play around with. However just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I have no problem with more Star Wars movies being made. I however don't give a flip about more stories revolving around the characters from the original movie. My opinion is there story has been told time to movie on and give us something completely new; with completely new characters.

Also you're right Lucas had treatments for ep 1-9. He never had anything beyond that. Also the reason why he never did 7-9 is because he didn't feel there was a need to. He told the story he wanted to tell; which was the fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker.

I love Star Wars but I would rather Star Wars movies not be made for the sake of making them regardless of the writing. Something happens when studios sit down to make sequels. No matter how hard they try they always water something down with each passing sequel. In fact I can't think of any movie that has made continues sequels that eventually just went to complete crap. The only movie that I can think of is James Bond. Even James Bond isn't as popular as he once was.

I have no doubt that the new trilogy will be good. I however I also think it will loose something. I think fans and audience alike will eventually just grow tired of just being hit with constant Star Wars content.

Just so you know even Marvel movies will suffer the same fate of Disney doesn't know when to stop. That is just my opinion any way. Any sorry to cut this short but dinner is here.

You're right Star Wars is a massive Universe with lots of room to play around with. However just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I have no problem with more Star Wars movies being made. I however don't give a flip about more stories revolving around the characters from the original movie. My opinion is there story has been told time to movie on and give us something completely new; with completely new characters.

Also you're right Lucas had treatments for ep 1-9. He never had anything beyond that. Also the reason why he never did 7-9 is because he didn't feel there was a need to. He told the story he wanted to tell; which was the fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker.

I love Star Wars but I would rather Star Wars movies not be made for the sake of making them regardless of the writing. Something happens when studios sit down to make sequels. No matter how hard they try they always water something down with each passing sequel. In fact I can't think of any movie that has made continues sequels that eventually just went to complete crap. The only movie that I can think of is James Bond. Even James Bond isn't as popular as he once was.

I have no doubt that the new trilogy will be good. I however I also think it will loose something. I think fans and audience alike will eventually just grow tired of just being hit with constant Star Wars content.

Just so you know even Marvel movies will suffer the same fate of Disney doesn't know when to stop. That is just my opinion any way. Any sorry to cut this short but dinner is here.

The Prequels were made for the heck of it as well if we go by that mentality. They did not need to be told. Everything you needed to know was in the OT. Like the true saying goes, you can watch the OT with out ever seeing the OT but not the other way around. The OT told you everything you needed to know. So with that mentality we never needed that. But that's never what bugged me about the PT I loved the expansion of the lore, it just was sad they were terribly executed. But expanding a story can be made to tell a new story as well. Characters can be expanded and changed. Yes I want to see new original stuff to, and we will, but right now, it's great to see the new stories that will expand the old ones.

People are already content with SW mainly because of the quality of the last three. Quality trumps all. It's what will carry it onwards. If they go overboard with too much saturation...ya it could hurt it for a while and need a break. Comic book films have been going on for 15 years hard now and still have not slowed down. So it's not going to be an instant thing. If over-saturation does happen to Marvel it will happen to them long before SW, and I'm sure Disney would re-arrange the plans.

As for Lucas the man has never had solid plans. Originally he was going to do the sequel trilogy (ST) first. Then in '87 he changed his mind and went with the PT first. It was not until around '99 that he said it was just going to be the PT, but then a decade later he changes his mind again on that. He never planned them out to be that later shoehorned in title of "The Tragedy of Darth Vader" The OT for a long time was still (and still is to me) the Adventures of Luke Skywalker. And the PT is the fall of Anakin.

But Lucas never had anything set in stone, but the ST was still an idea regardless.

To me I'm more than excited, to see the expansion. Especially with such a great team of directors and creative talent from the next generation to bring it forward.

But I see your point. But that will take a while for that kind of reaction. I have a feeling Disney will pump the breaks prior to that.

Last edited:
June 2014:

For me I always said the best news would be no more offspring... I really felt like I had to push back against what the EU overdid—but I figured if the line was to continue Leia and Han were always the most likely avenue. I felt like Luke sort of transcended the sexual while that was more the domain established on-screen of Han and Leia. And if you're giving big roles (or in the case of Han, a reportedly 'gigantic' or a lead one) to the family, it follows that a new addition to the family would be focused upon... for good or ill.

The next best news is if there's only one and it's Leia and Han's. Double plus good for a girl, because I think there is better story telling potential here with a Mother-Daughter and Father-Daughter story... because the PT was also about a Mother-Son relationship and the OT was also about a Father-Son relationship. Will Adam Driver or another factor into this new equation? Remains to be seen if this conflict does come to be revealed as sister against brother though that would make two. Does the son somehow kill the father? Some foundation for storytelling here if they go that way. But it's all premature--my writing about it, because it could be very different. It's possible certain things will have to wait until Episode VIII or IX to be revealed if at all because it's scripted in a different direction.

But a female character with some Han Solo attributes of the Skywalker bloodline that will likely eventually swing a lightsaber? I think that could really work...by being the polar opposite of how we last saw Padme in Episode III. Episode I Padme ain't a terrible character, or at least on paper she's not. By Episode III that was a terrible character, and serves as an instruction manual as to how not to write the female lead in a big action movie. I get Lucas wanted to show where Luke and Leia get their fundamental goodness from but it's just not very interesting. Lucasfilm and everyone involved owes it to Star Wars fans and foes to deliver a more modern female character, this time as the trilogy's protagonist.

If you want your protagonist to be like Katniss or Korra or an "extremely gymnastic" character, having it also come from Han Solo's line as well as the Skywalkers makes just more sense than Luke's in a certain sort of way, especially since we never saw him in a relationship with anybody, or anybody like that.

So far my guesstimations from then are pretty close with more yet to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"