• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best / Worst of 2009

Still got a few things I need to see, but at the moment:

Best Film: Inglorious Basterds
Worst Film: Ninja Assassin
Most Surprising Film: Star Trek
Most Disappointing Film: Transformers - Revenge of the Fallen
Most Underrated Film: Observe and Report
Most Overrated Film: Up
Best Performance: Christoph Waltz, Inglorious Basterds
Worst Performance: Chris Klein, Street Fighter

Obviously there were some movies I missed this year like The Hurt Locker and Moon:-)cmad: didn't come to any of the theatres in my area) so that is why they won't be included in my list sadly. These are the films I got around to seeing this year.
Outlander
Taken
Underworld 3
My Bloody Valentine
Push
Friday the 13th
Watchmen
Knowing
I Love You, Man
Crank High Voltage
Mutant Chronicles
Wolverine
Star Trek
Terminator Salvation
Night At the Museum 2
Up
Drag Me To Hell
Land of the Lost
The Hangover
Transformers 2
Bruno
Harry Potter and the half-blood prince
G.I.Joe
District 9
Inglourious Basterds
Zombieland
Where the Wild Things Are
Ninja Assassin
Sherlock Holmes

Best 3 films:
1. Inglourious Basterds
2. Avatar
3. District 9...with Where The Wild Things Are followed right behind it.

Worst 3 films:
1. My Bloody Valentine
2. Transformers 2
3. G.I. Joe

Best director: Quentin Tarantino
Worst: Michael Bay

Best lead actor: Sharlto Copley followed closely by Robert Downey Jr.
Worst: Channing Tatum

Best lead actress: Zoe Saldana/Melanie Laurent(can't decide between the two)
Worst: Megan Fox followed closely by Sienna Miller(sorry just didn't care for her in G.I. Joe)

Best supporting actor: Christoph Waltz
Worst: Ramon Rodriguez(Roommate from Transformers 2) or Travis Van Winkle(Friday the 13th, pretty much same character as the jock in Transfomers)

Best supporting actress: Diane Kruger(had a tough time even finding one to call the best out of the films I saw this year)
Worst: Moon Bloodgood

Best screenplay: Inglourious Basterds(didn't count Watchmen since it was an almost exact adaption dialogue wise)
Worst: Transfomers 2

These next two were incredibly hard for me to pick. A lot of actors this year either got a lot of well deserved praise or a well diserved hate. So my picks might not be fitting for the spot I put them in.

Most underrated actor: Anton Yelchin or Karl Urban
Most overrated: Sam Worthington

Most underrated film: Outlander
Most overrated film: Transformers 2(I know a lot of the online community hated it but I'm going by BO take...overall general audience popularity)

Best action scene: End of District 9 followed by Avatar's final battle
Worst: Transformers 2 end fight followed by the end fight in G.I. Joe(chase through France was fairly entertaining and not too bad though)

Surprise of the year: Outlander
Dissapointment of the year: Terminator Salvation

Most necessary sequel: Really wasn't any this year but I guess by default I'll give the spot to Underworld 3.
Least necessary: Transformers 2 Seeing as how bad it was, I'm glad the first one can stand alone much like the Matrix. Not saying the Matrix sequels were as bad as Transformers 2 though.

1) “Inglourious Basterds” If Death Proof occasionally felt like Quentin Tarantino spinning his wheels, this blood-spattered ode to WWII and the liberating power of cinema is like a baseball bat to the head of mainstream filmmaking; a staggeringly grand-scale-yet-intimate effort that you yearn to dismantle just so you can decipher why its disparate parts fit together so flawlessly. From gripping intro - wherein sadistic Nazi Hans Landa (the chilling Christoph Waltz) interrogates a frightened farmer - to nightmarish conclusion, Basterds hums captivatingly along like a brutal, witty, well-oiled machine. Movies this breathtaking, innovation and unique are a dearly treasured rarity, and I’m indescribably thankful to know that – sixteen years in – Tarantino still has enough fight left in him to continue to shock and awe anyone who buys a ticket.

2) “The Hurt Locker” Appearing like an oasis in a sea of bloated political polemics, The Hurt Locker succeeds triumphantly by eschewing the hot-button issues almost entirely. Rather, in drawing us into the white-knuckle day-to-day life of Ssgt. William James (Jeremy Renner in a star-making performance), an adrenaline junkie tasked with defusing bombs in war-torn Iraq, director Kathryn Bigelow adroitly provides a nail-bitingly suspenseful you-are-there experience which, true to the movie’s “War is a Drug” tagline, leaves you feeling shaken and buzzed, yet fixing for more.

3) “A Serious Man” Of the numerous original characters that emerged in 2009, none were quite as tragically unforgettable as Larry Gopnik (Michael Stuhlbarg), the beat-down Jewish physics professor battling to escape a suffocating hell of personal, professional and existential crises. Wearing a frazzled expression of woeful hope and, alternately, impotent dread, the bespectacled Larry’s blackly comic descent into damnation provides the bitter center to the Coen Brothers’ challenging and often deeply unsettling 60s-set absurdist odyssey. Utterly uncompromising, A Serious Man is a tantalizing cinematic enigma that attaches itself to your brain and refuses to let go. No matter how nicely you ask it.

4) “Up” Following in the rusty tread-marks of Wall-E, Pixar’s tenth feature-length slice of animated delight once again proved the studio to be the utmost crafters of emotionally-devastating first acts in the business, with a heart-rending, dialogue-free recap of the romantic life of Carl and Ellie Fredrickson leaving many – myself included – moist-eyed and sniffling. Luckily, Pete Docter’s Up manages to hold its course for the entire duration, shifting from thrilling adventures, to sincerity and broad comedy as buoyantly as Carl’s magnificently soaring home.

5) “Adventureland” Criminally under-seen during its release, writer/director Greg Mottola’s lovable amusement park coming-of-age tale deserves recognition alongside the life-affirming works of inspiration Cameron Crowe. A touching tribute to the lazy summer days and nights of low-wage employment, Adventureland, with its marvellous cast - including Jesse Eisenberg, Kristen Stewart and Ryan Reynolds - and impeccable soundtrack,lulls you into a blissful state of nostalgic joy, where even the raunchiest laughs speak to a recognizable truth. This is a movie you want to hug and treasure; a tender reminder of time gone by and of those balmy, enchanted evenings when the mysteries of the cosmos could almost be unlocked by a bright smile or an adoring gaze.

6) “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” Silly me, I was becoming convinced that Harry Potter was beginning to run out of magic dust, following the rather lacklustre Order of the Phoenix. So it now feels pretty terrific to be eating crow, as this summer’s Half-Blood Prince proved to be the very finest of the cinematic literary adaptations. Directed with a true storyteller’s zeal by David Yates, and featuring stunning cinematography and a crackerjack performance by Jim Broadbent, the world of Hogwarts has never been as exciting, perilous or sublimely gorgeous as it is here.

7) “Fantastic Mr. Fox” After a string of lukewarm disappointments, it was a dazzling, hysterical treat to witness hipster auteur Wes Anderson rediscover the beauty of his own idiosyncratic cinematic language through stop-motion technology and the sneaky, miraculous spirit of Roald Dahl. In detailing how George Clooney’s wily animal thief extraordinaire leads a trio of callous farmers on a wild goose chase, the gifted director delivers a sumptuously detailed visual banquet of a fable, replete with sharp ironic zingers, warmth and – evidenced best during a poignant encounter with a majestic lone wolf – unadulterated, entrancing wonder.

8) “Up in the Air” Jason Reitman’s revelatory third effort – a standout in a weak year for studio-produced prestige projects - is a refreshingly adult meditation on the complexities of human connection and corporate culture. Riding confidently on the broad shoulders of George Clooney’s Ryan Bingham, a travelling professional free of personal ties, who takes on a naive protégé (Anna Kendrick) and begins a playful relationship with a similarly-spirited mystery woman (Vera Farmiga), Up in the Air expertly walks a fine line between cynism and optimism, offering plenty of truthfulness and good-natured humour. It further proves that wunderkind Reitman may just be his generation’s answer to Billy Wilder.

9) “Star Trek” Jubilantly breaking free from forty years of suffocating continuity, J.J. Abrams whizz-bang reboot of Gene Roddenberry’s iconic science-fiction universe is a truly astonishing sight to behold. Soaring higher than it has in eons, this Enterprise – now staffed by a brilliantly cast new crew of space voyagers, led by the ultra-charismatic Chris Pine – takes audiences on an exhilarating and massively entertaining flight into the heart of popcorn blockbuster nirvana. Now, with a rejuvenated life-force and infinite opportunities ahead, Star Trek’s future has never been brighter.

10) “Drag Me to Hell” Francois Truffaut’s oft-quoted statement on the filmic medium was that “cinema should express either the joy of making cinema or the anguish of making cinema”. Well sir, Sam Raimi’s return to the spook-a-blast genre of his youth falls, goofy and grinning ear-to-ear, into the former; a slime-soaked tribute to the gloriously bonkers world of gypsy curses, moonlit séances and cackling possessed farm-stock. Aided by on-screen co-conspirator Alison Lohman - a good sport if ever there was one – the director unleashes one of the decade’s greatest fright-fest extravaganzas, a goofball exploration of the macabre that delivers jack-in-the-box scares with irresistibly impish glee.

Honorable Mentions: “Brothers”, “(500) Days of Summer”, “Moon”, “The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans”, “Precious”, “Watchmen”, “Summer Hours (L'heure d'été)”, “An Education”, “The Girlfriend Experience”, Public Enemies”.

Last edited:
Best Feature: Avatar
Worst Feature: The Spirit

Best Animated: Up!
Worst Animated: Ice Age 3

Best Actor: Shalto Copley - District 9
Worst Actor: Channing Tatum - G. I. Joe: Rise of Boredom

Best Actress: Kate Winslet - Revolutionary Road
Worst Actress: Scarlett Johansson - The Spirit

Best Director: Niell Blomkamp - District 9
Worst Director: Frank Miller - The Spirit

Best Visual Effects: Avatar
Worst Visual Effects: Under the Mountain

Best Soundtrack: Watchmen
Worst Soundtrack: My Sister's Keeper

Best Story Structure: Avatar
Worst Story Structure: Amelia

Best Surprise Win: District 9
Worse Surprise Fail: Seven Pounds

Now that I've had a chance to see everything, here are my choices.

Best Film of 2009: "Avatar"

Worst Film of 2009: "Year One"

Best Comedy: "The Hangover"

Best Animated Movie: "Up"

Best Superhero Movie: "Watchmen"

Best Actor: Robert Downey Jr, "Sherlock Holmes"

Best Actress: Zoe Saldana, "Avatar"

Best Supporting Actor: Jackie Earle Haley, "Watchmen"(As much as I loved Christoph Waltz in "Inglourious Basterds", I have to give this one to Jackie just because he was the perfect Rorschach)

Best Supporting Actress: Melanie Laurent, "Inglourious Basterds"

Most Surprising Disappointment: "Funny People"

Least Surprising Disappointment: "X-Men Origins: Wolverine"

Best Director: Quentin Tarantino, "Inglourious Basterds"

Best credits scenes: Watchmen / Zombieland.

Best of 2009
the hangover
Up
star trek
wolverine, yea i liked it.

worst
tf2
gi joe
T salvation
thats all i can think off i will update if anything comes to mine.

best dvd packaging: watchmen the ultimate cut, its very fancy(dvd and features aint bad either)

Biggest dissapointment : Terminator Salvation

serioulsy why don't the just let the people that cut the commercials direct the film? because judging by multitude of tailers this movie was going to be amazing, in reality it was like letting the air out of a giant baloon

Best opening credits Watchmen

though the similarly filmed Zombieland opening was totally amazing

which reminds me

most shamefully forgotten
ZOMBIELAND!
theres no love for this movie being spread around where as i loved it. it was a zombie comedy that didn't need 10,000 call backs to Romero

Green Day are a bunch of hacks now. They're stuff before American Idiot is good, but after, they just turned into overplayed radio crap for me.

As someone who has a way-too-dated now GD logo on my avy, can I just say if you're going to join the "Green Day is too popular" hate bandwagon, let me just suggest you don't start by saying "American Idiot is good, but after..." because that is basically (along with this album) all they've done this decade and that album is what defines most former fans' hate for them. If the words Kerplunk, Dookie and Nimrod are not in your musical vocabulary, just don't comment on them. :oldrazz: ;)

Last edited:
Best movie: Inglourious Basterds
Worst movie: 2012

Best acting performance: Christoph Waltz
Worst acting performance: Russian dude (father of the twins) from 2012... good god he was terrible

Best score/soundtrack: tie between Inglourious Basterds and Moon (Clint Mansell FTW!)

Worst score/soundtrack: 2012

Back on topic...

Here is a list that IS VERY LIKELY TO CHANGE over the next few weeks as I get caught up on some films I missed last year:

1) Up in the Air: What a wonderful film. This is a beautiful piece of cinema that is told like a classic in the sensibilities of a Billy Wilder type, but through Jason Reitman. This is just a smart, funny, sad and poignant film for adults. Clooney gives one of his best, Farminga is always great and Anna Kendrick is so surprisingly good in this; she stole the show for me. A superb supporting cast creates not a revolutionary tale, but a transformative one that reminds you that film can work best in a simple and elegant presentation based on characters, acting and clever writing/directing. $500 million 3D not required.

2) Inglourious Basterds: This movie just brings the wow factor. No other film this year made me so self-conscience of how much fun I was having and what a blast the cinematic experience is. This is a visceral kick to the gut and displays Tarantino's most aggressive talents not seen in such clear display since Pulp Fiction. This ensemble piece is a love letter and ode to the power of cinema over pain, death and history itself. It is also a clever adventure film, suspense thriller and ultimately, a hilarious revenge fantasy. Christoph Waltz and Melanie Laurent were revelations, Brad Pitt got to chew the scenery to the level of art and Tarantino managed to create something deeper than most of his work by stepping away from his traditional influences (well...some of them). No movie left me grinning more. This was the year's real spectacle.

3) The Hurt Locker: This is the first film about the Iraq and Afghanistan wars to really step away from the direct politics and just give a very moving psychological and scarily thrilling portrait of a soldier's life. If there is any politics, it is left up to the viewer to decipher and put into context. Otherwise it displays the tragedies of putting your life on the line as a daily basis--and worse, getting addicted to it. The rush Jeremy Renner feels, the audience also experiences. Sometimes there is no coming home from that. And in this movie's case, there is no leaving the edge of your seat.

4) Avatar (tie): Well, sometimes $500 million budgets are worth it. At least for the moviegoer. This is the visually most stunning achievement in special effects...ever. And while the story is not necessarily groundbreaking, it is told with enough gusto and sincerity that James Cameron's hamfisted (though truthful) message can be willfully swallowed. Oh and the lead characters are all photo-realistic CGI and ride ****ing dragons. ****ing. Dragons.

4) District 9 (tie): Another sci-fi thriller that proves you inspire awe on a ridiculously low budget (for this kind of movie) of $30 million. It is taut, clever and above all original. The message of racism, apartheid and its relation to South Africa politics and human nature is honestly not anymore subtle than Avatar. But it has a lot more interest in these themes and explores them thoroughly with an action movie's most selfish and cowardly character ever. And you still root for the poor bastard until the bitter, prawn-handed end. Plus it was just really cool.

The rest I am just going to list:

6) Star Trek
7) Brothers
8) State of Play
9) Watchmen
10) Zombieland

On my to see list still The Road (which I hope to see tomorrow or Thursday), 500 Days of Summer, An Education, The Hangover (I know) and Crazyheart.

Worst list:

1) Gamer
2) Friday the 13th
3) Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen
4) Wolverine
5) Law Abiding Citizen
6) GI Joe: Rise of the Cobra
7) The Twilight Saga: New Moon

Mind you, I don't go out of my way to see movies that look bad and of those I actually only saw FT13 and New Moon in theaters. So, I think that is pretty good.

Last edited:
Rewatching mos of this year...

BEST
Star Trek
Transformers Revenge of the Fallen
UP
Monsters Vs Aliens
X-men Origins Wolverine

Best Movie: Inglorious Basterds (closely followed by The Hurt Locker and D9)
Worst Movie: Dragonballs (closely followed by TF2)

Best Actor: Jeremy Renner-The Hurt Locker (if this guy doesn't get AT LEAST an Oscar nomination the world is officially wrong)
Worst Actor: Justin Chatwin-Dragonballs (I would very much like to beat this little rat to a pulp)

Best Actress: Melanie Laurent-Inglorious Basterds
Worst Actress: Scarjo-The Spirit

Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz-Inglorious Basterds
Best Supporting Actress: Diane Kruger-Inglorious Basterds

Best Director: Quentin Tarantino or Neil Blompkamp
Worst Director: The prick who made Dragonballs, don't know his name.

Biggest Surprise: D9 or Star Trek
Biggest Disappointment: Terminator Salvation or Wolverine

Best Comedy: Zombieland
Best Animated: Fantastic Mr Fox

Favourite character: Lt Archie Hicox-Inglorious Basterds or Wade Wilson-Wolverine (I had to :D )
Least Favourite character: Weapon XI-Wolverine (an ok villain really, but why couldn't he just be specifically created for the film instead of destroying Deadpool?)

Funniest moment: Aldo Raine trying to speak Italian.
Most dramatic moment: Bridget Von Hammersmark finding her shoe in Landa's coat
Best action sequences: The finale of D9, Wade "going to work" in Wolverine.

Last edited:
wow... u really hate Dragonballs...

I've seen every movie I've wanted to see out of 2009 with the exception of a few. So here it is.

Best Movies of 2009

1. Sherlock Holmes
2. Inglourious Basterds
3. Fantastic Mr. Fox
4. Star Trek
5. District 9
6. Up in the Air
7. (500) Days of Summer
8. Up
9. Public Enemies
10. Drag Me to Hell

Honorable mentions: Avatar, Watchmen, The Hangover, Zombieland, Coraline, Taken

Not a very solid year. I'm hoping next year will be better, this list might change once I seem some of the other films I missed this year (The Road, The Hurt Locker, The Lovely Bones, Invictus)

Worst of 2009

1. Dragonball Evolution
2. Disney's A Christmas Carol
3. Paranormal Activities
4. Halloween II
5. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

I avoided most of the **** this year.

Good list. Yeah, my problem with always doing these best of 2009s is that I never feel like I have seen enough to give a really solid list. I too hope Lovely Bones is better than what early reviews said.

And I forgot about Halloween II. Yeah that movie was pretty bad and would go in bottom list, probably right between Law Abiding Citizen and New Moon. Good memory for that.

Worst Performance: Chris Klein, Street Fighter

are you kidding me? his performance trumps WAY over ledger's joker. His charlie was spot on, the dialouge was incredible, and the performance was awe-inspiring to say the least.
:oldrazz:

most shamefully forgotten
ZOMBIELAND!
theres no love for this movie being spread around where as i loved it. it was a zombie comedy that didn't need 10,000 call backs to Romero

Same. Pumped for Z2, and love that their writing DP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"