Better ending for Batman 89

Bug-Eyed Earl

Civilian
Reaction score
Joker gets away in the copter. Batman and Vicki still fall, and Bats stops the fall and tosses her into a window before the line breaks. He falls, and is crippled.

cut to Wayne Manor. Batman is paralyzed, and puttering around in a floating wheelchair, just like Xavier has in the comics, except its all black and nearly encases her entire body. He always has his cowl on, and he's insanely bitter about the turn of events.

The last shot of the movie is him glaring out a huge window, with the camera pulling back as lightning constantly flashes in the background.

OK, its not really a better ending, but I've been having some bizarre dreams lately. I don't know what brought this one on.

Yeaaaahhhhh....I like the current ending. Weird dream though.

Bug-Eyed Earl said:
Joker gets away in the copter. Batman and Vicki still fall, and Bats stops the fall and tosses her into a window before the line breaks. He falls, and is crippled.

cut to Wayne Manor. Batman is paralyzed, and puttering around in a floating wheelchair, just like Xavier has in the comics, except its all black and nearly encases her entire body. He always has his cowl on, and he's insanely bitter about the turn of events.

The last shot of the movie is him glaring out a huge window, with the camera pulling back as lightning constantly flashes in the background.

OK, its not really a better ending, but I've been having some bizarre dreams lately. I don't know what brought this one on.

Ohhh-kaaaay.....hey look who's behind you!

<runs away>

Bug-Eyed Earl said:

Are you God?

Bug-Eyed Earl said:

Change Batman for Bug-Eyed Earl.

Bug-Eyed Earl said:

...Would you like to try this on?

*holds up straight-jacket*

MaskedManJRK said:
...Would you like to try this on?

*holds up straight-jacket*

I think what brought all this on was that it's been really hot where I am the alst few days, and I usually have very strange dreams when I'm forced to sleep in uncomfortable heat.

I hardly ever have bizarre dreams, but I'm 3 for 3 the last three nights.

The first sentence was the only good thing about your ending. Joker should've lived.

Yeah, I would have loved for the Joker to have lived.

Bug-Eyed Earl said:

It wasn't a dream, you were smoking weed when you wrote this.:eek:
I hated idea of Joker dying in Batman 89 after this I like the idea.:down :( :rolleyes:

Bug-Eyed Earl said:

drugs are bad for you,you know

Well Sam Hamm wanted Joker to live, but they had a writer's strike, and Sam couldn't get to England where they were shooting, and all alongTim wanted to do it that way, Sam did not. so that other writer and Tim wrote that crappy ending.

My ending would've been Joker falls but, Batman catches him with a Bat-rope, knowing he can't kill, he can't be like the Joker, he won't be a killer like him.

Then he gets himself and Vicki to safety, you see Joker being put in a paddy wagon in a straight jacket. His laughter fading off into the distance as the wagon drives off.

The rest can stay the same, The Signal, etc. Just my thought.

I totally loved the ending of that movie. Batman punching Joker around, hanging off the Tower edge and Joker being an ass.

"Here, let me lend you a hand.........HAHAH Lend ya a hand!"

While maybe his death upset some, i felt he is the most powerful villian, the arch nemesis and i prefered he died. His death is climatic, falling off that HUGE freakin Cathederal lol.

I understand why people dont like the villians dying. I dont as well, as each movie shouldnt have them die. With this movie, it needed closure and i felt that was the best way.

The Joker was a freaking madman, just killed a crapload of Gotham citzens and probably if escaped would kill alot more. While Batman didnt personally kill Joker, his actions, trying to keep him from escaping did kill him.

HOWEVER, i cant stand how people say this is wrong, but Batman obviously killing Ra's in Begins is ok. He didnt save him lol, he just let him die and fly off the tracks with the train. Im sure Batman realizes this would kill him, right? Why not take him off the train with him and send him to jail??? So i dont see a difference really. Ra's was killing millions, Joker was killing the people....so both needed to be stopped at any cost.

I think the ending to this movie is one of the greatest. I dont think every superhero move villian should die, in fact the only two i ever thought should die would be TwoFace (to make his story even more sad) and Joker, being the arch nemesis. Everyone else should go to Arkham or where ever else.

Let's be happy Burton killed Nicholson's Joker off though, otherwise Joel may have gotten his hands on that character lol.

Joker831 said:
HOWEVER, i cant stand how people say this is wrong, but Batman obviously killing Ra's in Begins is ok. He didnt save him lol, he just let him die and fly off the tracks with the train. Im sure Batman realizes this would kill him, right? Why not take him off the train with him and send him to jail??? So i dont see a difference really. Ra's was killing millions, Joker was killing the people....so both needed to be stopped at any cost.

Not to get off topic, but here's how that works. Batman didn't kill either of them in cold blood. He didn't murder them. That's how that works. Ra's could've jumped off the train if he wanted to.

The reason they killed Joker off is probably for pacing's sake. I bet audiences would've found it anti-climactic that after all that, Joker would just go to jail. Not to mention, the writers might've felt compelled to have Bruce's parents avenged by killing off the guy who shot them.

Joker831 said:
I think the ending to this movie is one of the greatest. I dont think every superhero move villian should die, in fact the only two i ever thought should die would be TwoFace (to make his story even more sad) and Joker, being the arch nemesis. Everyone else should go to Arkham or where ever else.

Yeah, but that's the problem. In the movie, he wasn't the archnemesis. The reason Joker is Batman's archnemesis in the comics is because of their HUGE history together. It's been well over 60 years real-time, and I think about 15 years comic continuity time. Joker is his archnemesis because out of all these villains, he's cause Batman the most grief and continues to torment him. He's fought him longer and more often than anyone else. So how can this Joker be this Batman's archnemesis when he's just one of many villains? He fights him once, dispatches him, then moves onto the next villain for the next film. Joker should've survived to come back another day, because the struggle between Batman and Joker is one that never ends. One shouldn't exist without the other.

Morgoth said:
Well Sam Hamm wanted Joker to live, but they had a writer's strike, and Sam couldn't get to England where they were shooting, and all alongTim wanted to do it that way, Sam did not. so that other writer and Tim wrote that crappy ending.

I'm sorry, what crappy ending?

Morgoth said:
My ending would've been Joker falls but, Batman catches him with a Bat-rope, knowing he can't kill, he can't be like the Joker, he won't be a killer like him.

Morgoth, you're a person I respect a lot here, but let me tell you this.

How a cliché, super-obvious and utter predictable ending you have in mind.

THE main reason of why Batman 89 is such a great movie is because we could finally get rid of that and the "superhero" with hands on the hips saying 'I do the right thing because is the right thing to so. You'll go to jail'. Everything that was stereotypical and cliché in the most annoying sense of the terms) was ruled off.

Joker goes away. Of course, it would be better to have him shouting "We'll meet again, Spide-- uh, Batman!!!," so we can have him again and again in that repulsive hollywoodesque and obvious way to over-exploit things beyond reasonable (Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th someone?)

The way Tim did it was plain and simple. The story is told as a ewhole, he didn't need 3 parts to tell a solid story. Everything should be like that? No, but what the hell, here it worked cinematographically (screw the 'comic fanatism' for a second).

Morgoth said:
Then he gets himself and Vicki to safety, you see Joker being put in a paddy wagon in a straight jacket. His laughter fading off into the distance as the wagon drives off.

You see, if there was a Chief O'Hara congratulating Batman in that scene, and it's all ruined.

Katsuro said:
Yeah, but that's the problem. In the movie, he wasn't the archnemesis. The reason Joker is Batman's archnemesis in the comics is because of their HUGE history together. It's been well over 60 years real-time, and I think about 15 years comic continuity time.

So... and archnemesis is defined by the time he spends fighting the hero? I say no. Why would be that way? Isn't more important the actual relationship between both than just how many time they spend fighting? Not saying that it's not important, but I wouldn't say it is definitive to determine a nemesis.

Katsuro said:
Joker is his archnemesis because out of all these villains, he's cause Batman the most grief and continues to torment him

Yes, but why. Just the time he spends on that?

Let's remember Bane is not like Joker, but oh well, he made batman a cripple. I would say he doesn't have to spend 15 years to have the relevance once you achieve a higher goal (he in some way, beaten Batman).

Katsuro said:
He's fought him longer and more often than anyone else.

Katsuro said:
So how can this Joker be this Batman's archnemesis when he's just one of many villains? He fights him once, dispatches him, then moves onto the next villain for the next film. Joker should've survived to come back another day, because the struggle between Batman and Joker is one that never ends. One shouldn't exist without the other.

I'll tell you why.

Because here Joker is Thomas and Martha wayne's killer. So it's not another villiain. He's THE man who took Bruce's life away and his parent's life away and changed him forever and ruined Bruce's life forever and condemned him to be Batman forever. That's the strong undeniable everlasting bond that ties Batman and the Joker.

And that is... yes, better than the comics verson.

One shoudln't exist without the other is just a cliché. Why? The reason is because if they kill him then they can't sell more comics. Simple. In real life archnemesis gets rid of their enemies and continue to live. The interdependence can be there but is something more metaphoric than anything else. And many times one archnemesis riding off the other is a way to free himself but he doesn't die because of that, therefore they can live without each other in the practice. There's no more support to that theory than some cheap comic 'mythology' to sell comics for decades. If there's any other, please explain it.

About the Joker's death scene in the movie, Jack Nicholson said "I know how to bring him back to life. There (Warner Brothers) hung up on: I died in the first picture. Are they kidding?"

Tim Burton said "The thing is, with the Joker, not that he's like Freddy Kruger or Jason from the Friday the 13th, with the Joker there's always a way."

Joker always escapes death, since Batman #1, where he accidentally stabs himself during a fight with Batman and falls silent and lifeless on the ground. As an ambulance speeds the Joker's apparent corpse to the morgue, an attending physician is shocked "I just examined this man-he isn't dead. He's alive!"

Tim Burton and Jack Nicholson are friends. Jack was even in Mars Attacks. Jack wanted to play Joker again. I'm sure if they let Tim keep on making Batman movies in the 90's then Joker would have returned.

Danny Devito would have likely returned as the Penguin too if they let Tim keep on making Batman movies.
Look how many times Bela Lugosi returned as Dracula and Boris Karloff returned as Frankenstein after there death scenes in the first pictures of the old monster movies. Tim Burton loves the old monster movies. Watch Ed Wood with Martin Landau as Bela Lugosi.

With Tim Burton's friendship with Reubens, Paul Reubens might have been Tim Burton's choice for the Riddler and Billy Dee Williams as Two-Face.

He doesnt need 60 years to be determined as the arch nemesis......this is a movie, and while not even close to the source, as someone stated above.....Joker killed The Waynes!! Thats does it right there.

That's why this angle was done. Tim knew you couldnt establish that strong bond between Joker and Batman that had been going for 60 years in one movie or heck even two, so he had to do something extreme.

I actually prefered and liked the Joker being the killer. It gave it that ultimate edge and immediatly made Joker the number one bad guy. Batman had to take him down "Mano y Mano" lol. That's why it was done. Is it that big of a deal? I guess because of source material and straying from it and changing it, but it made the movie better for me, so i loved it. Not to mention Joker is Batman's first test, is killing thousands of Gotham citzens with chemicals, trying to steal Vicki and to top it off, we find he killed The Waynes along time ago.

There is so much anger and rage on that Cathederal Rooftop fight, that it's obvious it's personal, extra personal with Joker then in the other movies that followed. And that look as Bruce stares at the TV when Joker is calling him out, it's just great. You know then, Joker is the supervillian.

This is one of the many reasons it's one of my favorite movies, one of the best of this genre and definitly a classic to most.

the end from this batman is a classic for me the music and all the buildings showing...and then batman staring at the batsignal...truly classic

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"