Black Hawk Down

Phaser

Intellectual
Reaction score
It's one of those Ridley Scott films you rarely hear about - perhaps the number 1 reason why I kept putting off watching it until finally I mustered enough courage to just buy the damn DVD altogether.

Wow...I was expecting it be at least a decent show (considering it's Ridley Scott and all so of course it couldn't be crap) but I didn't expect it to be this good. It's one of them of them underrated gems.

This film was an exhilirating exercise in giving you one adrenaline rush after the other. I must say that Black Hawk Down has perhaps the most amazing action setpieces in any war movie ever. Combine this with visuals that are nothing short of breathtaking, the raging sound of gunfire and RPG's whizzing right by your ears and you're just as much "in the moment" as the soldiers fighting for survival in the film.
That shot of the first heli going down had my jaw on the floor.

Granted that it's plot is nothing to brag about (fairly simple, straightforward, black-and-white affair here) lacking the emotional resonance of other well-known war films like Saving Private Ryan, but what it lacks in narrative substance, it more than makes up with it's sheer technical wizardry.

Black Hawk Down is unquestionably a real accomplishment for Ridley Scott. In fact, I'm surprised that Blade Runner and Alien, heck, even Gladiator get so much praise yet barely a thing about Black Hawk Down. In my opinion, it deserves to be counted amongst his finest films and is yet another true testament to his directorial talent. I'm kicking myself for not watching it in the theatres now. Oh what an experience it would have been...:(

I agree whole-heartedly. It's a great movie. Among Ridley Scott's finest films. It ranks up with Saving Private Ryan and Full Metal Jacket for me. Everyone interested in war movies, action movies, or Ridley Scott should see it. Once again, it's a great movie.

Great film, although I don't understand the need for the release of the extended edition. There's already an ultimate 3 disc edition, which I have. That should be enough.

Obsidian said:
Great film, although I don't understand the need for the release of the extended edition. There's already an ultimate 3 disc edition, which I have. That should be enough.

What's new in the extended edition?

There are people out there who say Eric Bana isn't a great actor. I point out Black Hawk Down, and proceed to punch them in the neck.

I watched it in theaters the night I was suppose to see LOTR:FOTR but the seats were full:( so I saw Black Hawk down instead and I really was not expecting anything really but wow, I really liked the film :up:

Phaser said:
What's new in the extended edition?

Nothing really...just the deleted scenes added onto the movie. It's not a director's cut though.

Speaking of director's cuts, Scott's Kingdom of Heaven couldn't come soon enough. Ever since I saw it's first theatrical trailer, I knew Scott was onto something special. Now with all the great reviews the extended version is getting, I can't wait to get my hands on it. :up:

Oh and...Bloom's character was disposed of pretty amusingly in BHD. "He fell from the chopper" "He what?" "He missed the rope" "How?!"
:D

Yeah,I'm surprised too how people don't talk about this movie.

They damn well should talk about it. It's a great movie.

It is one of the most apolegetic war films to date. Everything bad that could possibly happens happens. Plus one hell of a great cast (Hartnett, Bana, Sizmore, Fichner, Issacs, McGregor, Eldrad(sp?), and Shepard).

The was a heart-breaking scene when during the emergency surgery scene. Dont want to spoil it so i wont go into details.

Plus Bana in those red sunglasses in the beginning reminded me of Cyclops.

Bana in Black Hawk Down looked like the ideal Solid Snake to me. All he'll have to do is get the accent right and a bandanna - then he's perfect. :up:

With his hair slicked to the side, Bana makes me think of Superman.

As for Black Hawk Down itself, it is easily the greatestfilm made on the subject of war.

how many times are they gonna release this great movie on DVD?

The fact that it's a true story just adds to the awesomeness of it. To think that people actually went through that (only it was worse, because they toned it down for the film) makes you appreciate what soldiers have to go through.

The documentary on it has great stuff....like one of the soldiers who really had to run the "Mogadishue Mile" at the end to get out of there...he describes the situation when the tanks take off and leave them _ "Oh great" he says "now we get to run out of here....why didn't I think of that 10 hours ago?"

Phaser said:
Black Hawk Down is unquestionably a real accomplishment for Ridley Scott. In fact, I'm surprised that Blade Runner and Alien, heck, even Gladiator get so much praise yet barely a thing about Black Hawk Down. In my opinion, it deserves to be counted amongst his finest films and is yet another true testament to his directorial talent.
You must live in a very sheltered environment because everyone knows that Black Hawk Down ranks up there with Gladiator, Alien, etc....!!!!

This thread is proof that there are people who actually live under a rock :eek:

I don't know. I've seen and heard plenty talk from other people both here and elsewhere about "the greatest war films ever made" and the ones that make the list are usually Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, The Thin Red Line and Saving Private Ryan but Black Hawk Down is rarely, if ever mentioned.

And Ridley Scott's top credits normally include either Alien or Gladiator (sometimes Blade Runner). Heck, even the film's user rating on IMDB is only 7.6 and it didn't exactly get glowing reviews from the critics like some of the above films I mentioned above either. I call that being pretty underrated.

I saw it at the cinema thinking it would suck... It was way better than I had expected. Eric Bana is the man.

Phaser said:
Bana in Black Hawk Down looked like the ideal Solid Snake to me. All he'll have to do is get the accent right and a bandanna - then he's perfect. :up:

Most people seem to think his accent was right in the film. I thought it was pretty average, not quite american more of an 'International Australian'. It was his first Hollywood film though and its alot better now.

I liked all the shooting and killing.

And bana for solid snake? You complete me...

Awesome movie indeed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"