Black Hawk Down

Phaser said:
I don't know. I've seen and heard plenty talk from other people both here and elsewhere about "the greatest war films ever made" and the ones that make the list are usually Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, The Thin Red Line and Saving Private Ryan but Black Hawk Down is rarely, if ever mentioned.

And Ridley Scott's top credits normally include either Alien or Gladiator (sometimes Blade Runner). Heck, even the film's user rating on IMDB is only 7.6 and it didn't exactly get glowing reviews from the critics like some of the above films I mentioned above either. I call that being pretty underrated.

Under a rock if you only just now saw it. Not about it being underrated.

\S/JcDc\S/ said:
Under a rock if you only just now saw it. Not about it being underrated.

As I said in my first post, I put off seeing it for a long time (it first caught my attention when it was nominated for 2 Academy Awards, been sort of interested in it since then). Since most of what I heard about the film indicated that it was nothing special and nobody even bothers to bring it's name up in any favorites list either, you can't really blame me for overlooking it all this time. I thought it was another one of Scott's lesser-known efforts like Hannibal or Matchstick Men.

Meh, I just remember when it came out, all my friends were freaking out about how good it was and told me to see it. It had quite a bit of buzz actually :o I suppose as time has gone on it hasn't been considered in the likeness of SPR but it certainly has always been regarded as better than Thin Red Line. That movie surprisingly kind of sucked :=/

Black Hawk Down = my favorite war movie EVAR!!!!!!!!!1!1 :D

I watch that movie all the time. It's one of the few great war movies.. My whole thing is, if you didn't walk away from that movie pissed, then you didn't get it......I'm going to watch it now!

\S/JcDc\S/ said:
but it certainly has always been regarded as better than Thin Red Line. That movie surprisingly kind of sucked :=/
Not IMHO. It's aquired taste. It's more like visual poetry than a film. :)

BHD is a great movie. I bought the 3-disc set based on the extras alone. Haven't watched it since, but I definitely should.

Also, I don't really consider it a "war movie." I guess there's the military, but what war was this?

I think it's more a movie about "survival" than "war".

I guess by "war films" people imply movies that are based upon military conflicts, which Black Hawk Down most certainly is.

Rizor said:
Not IMHO. It's aquired taste. It's more like visual poetry than a film. :)

BHD is a great movie. I bought the 3-disc set based on the extras alone. Haven't watched it since, but I definitely should.

Also, I don't really consider it a "war movie." I guess there's the military, but what war was this?

It was around the time of the Gulf War. The events in BHD occur in 1991 in Somalia.

Asr said:
It was around the time of the Gulf War. The events in BHD occur in 1991 in Somalia.

actually it was in 1993 i think

Yeah, I believe it was in 93. I think they even state it in the movie.

Great movie. I saw it a couple weeks after it came out in theaters. I then bought it on DVD when it came out.

Had I known they were going to release a 3 disc version down the road, I wouldn't have bought the 1 disc version and just waited for the 3 disc.

I don't double dip

No one should. It's like putting your whole mouth in the dip!*

*Obscure Seinfeld joke.

I'm watching this movie...yet again. I don't go 2 weeks without watching it. Black Hawk Down is a rare gem of a movie. I personally love all the characters, and think that opposed to most action films, this one makes you sad at some parts.

The gruesomness of the gun battles is shot in a way that puts you in the battle. I love how the producers and filmmakers did their best to reenact what happened over there in 93.

Eric Bana as Hoot has to be hands down the scene stealer. He is the "best of the best" of Delta Force, and shows it by the different kills he gets.

I saw this movie in the theater twice and was instantly in love with it. I remember when it was up for a best picture nod.

The music really sets a tone, and the ending "letter" will tug at your emotional cord.

"IRENE!!"

"F***in IRENE!"

My personal favorite war film. Definitely one of Scott's finer works, which is really saying something. I haven't watched it in a little while, but I might dust it off and watch it sometime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"