Black Panther User Review Thread - Tag Spoilers

Discussion in 'Black Panther' started by samsnee, Feb 13, 2018.

?

How do you rate the movie?

1. 10

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. javonstokess Registered

I'd say my new rankings is:
    1. The Avengers
    2. CA:WS/Black Panther
    3. CA: CW
    4. Guardians of the Galaxy
    5. Iron Man
    6. Avengers: AoU
    7. Spider-man: Homecoming
    8. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    9. Thor: Ragnarok
    10. Ant-Man
    11. Dr. Strange
    12. CA: TFA
    13. Thor
    14. Iron Man 3
    15. Incredible Hulk
    14. Iron Man 2
    15. Thor: TDW

2. InfinityWar Registered

3. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

4. BH/HHH You Are My World

Just got back from seeing this, really enjoyed it. One of Marvel’s best.

Positives
    - the acting was superb by most
    - the action scene in Korea was the standout part of the film
    - The tone of the film was a nice change to other MCU movies
    - Loved the way Wakanda looked and the tech was phenomenal (inc the new Black Panther suit)

Negatives
    - the film suffers from what a fair few Marvel films do with the final fight been a let down
    - some really noticeable CGI when he’s Black Panther
    - I wasn’t wholly sold on Michael B Jordan as the villain.

But those negatives aside it’s fantastic

#229 BH/HHH, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  5. Hypestyle Registered

excellent movie. 10 out of 10.

I hope that Ryan Coogler is signed for a sequel.

Expand the narrative and update any villains used from the Panther mythos.

6. dougal Registered

Saw just saw this today and thought it was fantastic. Really good mix of characters and the story was very well laid out with great twists and interesting components. I love how this sets ups Infinity War without really doing anything obvious.

The one negative was there was a member of the audience who was vocal and yelled out things during the movie. It almost every case, he was comical and funny. However, he used the N-word at one point and people kind of groaned. The assumption was he was an African American dude but at the end of the movie, when the lights kinda came on it turns out he was some 60 year old white dude. When people realized that and everyone looked at him, he that ran out of the theater leaving the rest of the people (50% African American) wondering what the heck that was all about.

7. Pennywise Registered

Just saw Black Panther today, and I have to say I was very impressed! The performances, cinematography, direction, sets, costumes, etc were all amazing! Only issues were for me were the CGI at times, the mixed bag in action sequences and certain characters being underused.

Overall, I would give the film 9/10!

8. x-er Registered

At last a film that's not white-dominant yet... isn't it still relatable? I'm not even black and I loved it.

And the language! No idea if they were speaking Swahili or another language, but I really liked hearing them speak that and English with their South African accents.

No idea if the waterfall scenes were green screened or not but they were absolutely stunning.

And the way they wrapped the story up in the end was perfect. Great job Marvel!!! 9/10

9. jamesb Registered

finally saw this today, and was a bit disappointed. The actors try there best , but the story didn't engage me much. My daughter fell asleep half way through! Its a 6/10 for me. Think people are just jumping on the bandwagon with this. Its certainly no classic. Sorry but that's what I thought walking out. Will try and watch it again when it comes out on DVD.

10. Gamma Goliath Engine of Destruction

Can't win everyone over. There have been plenty of mixed reviews here i don't see much bandwagoning here

11. jamesb Registered

When I mean in general, in the mainstream media. To me a 10/10 movie is like, Raiders or jaws or the Godfather. Which this movie is well short of in my opinion. Each to there own. Its a massive hit so upwards and onwards for marvel.

12. squeekness The mighty squeek!

I felt the same way you did when I saw it. Didn't hate it, but didn't love it. I loved the last Thor movie ten times as much as this. :(

13. Napoli Registered

M'Baka was awesome, really looking forward to seeing more of him in Infinity Wars

14. Blade X Registered

I finally saw this movie and I thought that it SUCKED. This movie was long,boring,and .......heh...BWAHAHAHA.........I can't type that with a straight face. This movie was GREAT. My main fear/concern for this film (based on some reviews saying that there wasn't enough action in this film) was that there wasn't going to be enough action in it. And while I would have liked to have seen even more action in this film and/or the fight scenes we got in this film to be even longer (and in the case of the first fight scene, better lit), I thought that the action was well done and more than enough to satisfy my action fix. Unless someone watched all of the preview clips that showed off all of the action scenes (which I haven't done for a movie since the first X-MEN movie) most people should be satisfied with the amount of action in the film. My only real complaint about this film is that they killed off Klaw and Killmonger. IMO, I thought Klaw was a much better villain than Killmonger in this film. Movie Klaw was like a cross between the Joker and Clarence Boddicker from the OG ROBOCOP movie and I was pissed that they killed him off. I was surprised that Klaw had his sonic bionic arm.

I give this movie a 9 out of 10.

15. YJ1 Armed and Dangerous

Agree for the most part.

I saw it AGAIN over the weekend and it got better for me on the second watch. The action is still poor no matter where you sit in terms of choppy on-screen cuts. Also, I think I was too worried about the "radical racial elements" I was reading about the first time I saw it so the subtle stuff bothered me more than it should have the first time around. While the black victim myth card isn't subtle it's a point of view that really isn't shared by Black Panther...just the main villain and his followers.
    T'Challa wasn't as sympathetic to Killmonger as I originally thought because of that issue but more out of guilt at what his father did.

It still ranks VERY low on my MCU rankings as well. I find only Iron Man 2 and Incredible Hulk are lower. Of Marvel's origin films, I find Black Panther to be the most lacking in terms of character and story. Not bad or shallow mind you but the least compelling and least complex of the stellar Marvel line up.

After seeing it again, it solidifies a 7/10 rating. I was thinking 6/10 myself after my first watch. Good but far far from great.

16. Silvermoon Made To Be Ruled

just FYI, the language they went with for Wakanda is Xhosa ;)

(and yes, I know some people have issue given that it's a primarily South African language, but hey... in the MCU we're talking about a fictional country here... who's to say that, in the MCU, centuries ago it wasn't someone from Wakanda that traveled and brought the language south?)

17. Blade X Registered

That, or the original Wakandians came from South Africa.

18. samsnee Ok

I can see how it can be a little slower for younger kids. It doesn’t reel you in right away like Ragnarok did with its opening scene. I would say that anyone 10 and younger could be bored by it.

19. Blade X Registered

I had low expectations based on some of the complaints that I heard about the lack of action and about how slow this film was. So I came into this film thinking that I was going to be disappointed and wound up being pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this film. I also avoided watching any preview clips of scenes from the film, especially action scenes so that I won't have seen all of the best scenes from the film in those clips and as a result be let down about there not being much more to those action scenes (a lesson that I learned from watching preview clips of the first X-MEN movie from 18 years ago). So the moral of this story is (a) do not have high expectations for these types of films and instead set your expectations very low and (b) except for the trailers DO NOT watch ANY of the preview clips of specific scenes from these kinds of films, ESPECIALLY the action scenes.

20. Blade X Registered

And this is why these types of films need a lot more action in them. They also need to have the action scenes be better lit and longer (but not to long).

21. Rocanrol Psiconautiq

I gave it a 5.

The story was awful, full of unnecesary fillers, deus ex machinas and plotholes. Once again the CM-genre is taking a step in the wrong direction toward soap-opera plots, dialogues and blockbuster cgi-intensive action for the mindless drone.

Otherwise, I applaud both the actors for their characterization and the director for the filming.

Wasn't a fan of the uncohesive and unappealling soundtrack and was genuinely displeased, apart from the wakandan people, how other african people were portrayed.

22. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

How often were other African nations and their people actually depicted in the film though? Are you referring to the beginning with the female hostages? Is the existence of Boko Haram unknown to you? Cuz... I gotta think that the families of the girls that have been captured by them wish that there was a Black Panther to champion the innocent in the real world.

23. Rocanrol Psiconautiq

Actually I liked that intro, and I understand that served a dual purpose to set BP not only as a warrior and hunter, but also as a hero and liberator; a dichotomy that was a constant reason for struggle and inner conflict.

African nations in films are usually portrayed as either blood-thirsty guerrilla savages or spear-wielding uncivilized savages. And despite the faux-flare of empowering black culture that BP is, that stereotype is still set in stone. Even between wakandans, outside the utopic capital, they live in huts. Spot. On.

Didn't find it appealing or i would rather say well presented how the african-american black empowering ideology oozes through Killmonger. (Yes I know where and when BP comes from). Still didn't get that aspect of the character fully, or why that fueled him.

TLDR; I think this movie was not only cheap, but coward. It could have embraced the sensitive matters with more courage instead of hovering above. Isolation and abandonment, war with oneself and peace with others, the struggle between being a good person and a good king, hate and forgiveness, etc.; this are all themes touched in the movie ever so slightly.

24. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Uh... Isn't that an actual reality in Africa as a continent though? There are plenty of countries that have major cities as well as hinterlands where people do live in huts, no?

And Kilmonger was the villain of the piece but he's understandable in context. You don't have to agree with him but they presented what made him what he was. A young black boy loses his father in Oakland in the 90's no less. He's aware that there is a nation of Africans with incredible wealth, both in terms of natural resources but of advanced technology and yet they do nothing for the outside world. In fact his father was killed for wishing to see those disenfranchised and often directly oppressed in the African diaspora empowered in some way. It's laid out rather clearly what drives Kilmonger in the film, nor is it presented in a way that is hard to understand. You don't have to agree with him but it's expressed rather precisely.

As for "cowardly"? An argument could be made that it was actually brave of Bob Iger and Disney to 1. Make a Black Panther film at all and 2. To make one that touched on any social and political themes in the first place and not completely neuter them out of fear of offending the mass audience.

That the film was not a treatise on the issues you claim were not handled with as much depth as you would like is easily explained that at the end of the day this is still a super hero action film that must entertain in the four quadrant manner that Marvel is known for.

25. Rocanrol Psiconautiq

But that's my point exactly, how BP is a black-empowering façade. Just flare. The only african people that thrives is the centric wakandan, thanks to their utopic magical metal. Otherwise you are a guerrilla fighter or a spear warrior. It would be like the only kind of north-americans portrayed were red-necks and thugs.

I understand that, and think that the character of Killmonger was the best bit of the film, even in his personal motivation. It's his grand scheme that I don't get. I really think that the "black power" ideology that oozes through the character is not well explained/debated. Slavery have existed in Africa since always, selling their conquered to the highest bidder, being black, white or whatever. There are countries all over the world with african descendants. Where is the line drawn? Are all black people brothers and sisters to Killmonger? N'Jobu's plan was to liberate all african-americans? Are these any different from other exploited poor black men from other countries or any exploited group for that matter?

1º After 10 years of MCU and BP testing in Civil War, there was no bravery involved, just economics.

2º No social nor political theme was really touched or discussed in any form of depth because that wasn't what really mattered, just economics.

Although I understand what you are saying, that's no excuse for poor quality.