Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO... and Comes Back Again

Disney Has Box Office Failures With Indiana Jones, Elemental, Ant-Man - Variety

There's a chunk of people that don't want to pay twice for the same content they want to watch (theater + Disney+). The impatient and/or wealthier gravitate to the former and the patient and/or less wealthy gravitate to the latter.

Disney+ is on another tier when it comes to subscribers - the Amazon and Netflix tier - so stuff like Peacock and Paramount+ doesn't hurt Universal and Paramount as much as those guys when they go theatrical.

I think Disney will be fine.

They probably just need to space out their films much better and make them feel like an event. There's no need for 2 PiXar films every year especially theres also WDAS releasing a new film every year.

Also regardless of their boX office numbers, another Ant-Man and Indiana Jones movie weren't going to happen anyway. So its not these numbers are sequel killers.

It's wild that Iger entered retirement having secured a fairly glowing and beloved legacy as "A Good CEO" only to jump back in and in less than a year completely destroy all that and very publicly expose himself as just as big a POS as the other studio heads.

It's wild that Iger entered retirement having secured a fairly glowing and beloved legacy as "A Good CEO" only to jump back in and in less than a year completely destroy all that and very publicly expose himself as just as big a POS as the other studio heads.

Did people really think Iger was any different, just because he might have hid it better?

Did people really think Iger was any different, just because he might have hid it better?
Back when Chapek was in charge, there was lots of nostalgic talk about Iger like he was some great champion of the creative spirit opposed to Chapek as the cold business ghoul. Then people got what they wanted and reality hit hard, fast.

Back when Chapek was in charge, there was lots of nostalgic talk about Iger like he was some great champion of the creative spirit opposed to Chapek as the cold business ghoul. Then people got what they wanted and reality hit hard, fast.

People did think Iger was different because he wasn't Republican/conservative and that line of thinking was always silly.

I remember a bit back someone said something along the lines of: "conservatives should not be in charge of anything creative. Just look at Chapek with Disney." and multiple people liked and agreed with the post.
I had to point out that there are a lot of CEOs, including Tom Rothman, who are liberal who are crappy business people.
Even before his statement, Disney had it's fair share of business practice controversies under Iger's rule.

At the end of the day, their affiliation is to money much more than a political party.

Last edited:
And it’s not like Iger or any of these A-holes are some hard left democrats. Iger is currently registered as an independent and even briefly served on one of Trump’s forums. I’m glad Iger and Disney have done what they can to make DeSantis look like the total D-bag that he is but Iger is just as bad as 99% of CEOs who don’t give a crap about the hard working people underneath them who are struggling to make ends meet.

The craziest rumor is he will sell all of Disney to Apple but I doubt that. IMG_4532.jpegIMG_4533.jpeg

Disney has always been about their bottom line—not making lasting memories for you and your family. So the potential of them selling off some of their assets and diversifying their portfolio in new areas, sounds about right if they eventually want to sell. However, Apple being the buyer sounds both absolutely insane but also fitting. I’d throw Amazon at the wall as another potential option but we shall see.

Disney will probably restructure some divisions to further cut costs especially the studio than entertaining a trade sale. The regulatory hurdle alone is a nightmare now that governments are against big techs getting even bigger.

I won’t be surprised if the film division will have major changes soon. A $200m+ loss (10x YOY!) in a quarter is far from acceptable, someone will have to move. You get better return buying treasuries than sinking money into a CBM these days. My bet is Feige will be reassigned to some advisory role with a big title but no real power, and a deep cut in budget is on the cards. Something like $120m hard cap for the top blockbusters doesn’t matter what they are.

Disney will also need to pray that most of its streaming subs are too lazy to cancel given that it is raising prices (twice within one year!) and shrinking their already rather lacking content at the same time.

Disney will probably restructure some divisions to further cut costs especially the studio than entertaining a trade sale. The regulatory hurdle alone is a nightmare now that governments are against big techs getting even bigger.

I won’t be surprised if the film division will have major changes soon. A $200m+ loss (10x YOY!) in a quarter is far from acceptable, someone will have to move. You get better return buying treasuries than sinking money into a CBM these days. My bet is Feige will be reassigned to some advisory role with a big title but no real power, and a deep cut in budget is on the cards. Something like $120m hard cap for the top blockbusters doesn’t matter what they are.

Disney will also need to pray that most of its streaming subs are too lazy to cancel given that it is raising prices (twice within one year!) and shrinking their already rather lacking content at the same time.

Feige ain't going anywhere. Iger already moved him back from his side projects back to MCU full time, while taking some blood with the loss of his right hand woman, Victoria Alonzo. He is too valuable an asset to lose. I don't think the failure of one movie is going to cause too much issue on the Marvel film side.

And I don't think it is realistic to expect budgets to be cut down that much. I mean, the real truth is that we have likely had $300 million+ films for a while, but they hide those numbers. With covid protocols inflating costs, I don't think you can do it for that price anymore.

I’m okay with Disney cutting Marvel movie budgets. It’ll probably force them to be more creative and not chop it up to “we have the money, we’ll just deal with it in post production”. Feige also needs to be back in whatever position he was in pre-Endgame because there’s obviously been a noticeable downward trend in quality over the last 3 years.

Thankfully they’re cutting back on the Disney+ “content”… apparently.

Feige ain't going anywhere. Iger already moved him back from his side projects back to MCU full time, while taking some blood with the loss of his right hand woman, Victoria Alonzo. He is too valuable an asset to lose. I don't think the failure of one movie is going to cause too much issue on the Marvel film side.

And I don't think it is realistic to expect budgets to be cut down that much. I mean, the real truth is that we have likely had $300 million+ films for a while, but they hide those numbers. With covid protocols inflating costs, I don't think you can do it for that price anymore.

Are we sure he shouldn't?

[shrug]

I have been fairly vocal about how I don't trust his management to handle the X-men. But, my dislike doesn't necessarily translate that he should be gone. Given his successes, he does deserve a decent amount of leeway, unlike other mediocre white guys who fail upward.

It seems like Feige has spread himself too thin, and didn't think very hard about what they were going to do next after Endgame until the time they could start using Fantastic Four and X-Men.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"