Borat sued again!

The difference between Borat, & Kaufman is that Kaufman never went looking for people to pick on. People had to actually buy tickets to watch him. By the time he became popular people pretty much knew what they were getting into.

Borat on the other hand goes onto a subway, & forces people to participate in something that they would never want to do to begin with. Some of these people are just trying to get home! Not chase a chicken around!

The irony is that while he uses Borat's character to expose the sometimes ignorant american tourists. American's for the most part are at least respectful of the country they are in. They don't go around china scream "Where's the Chink! I need a Chink!". That is pretty much what Borat does.

Borat is not Social Satire. He is a man that is incredibly annoying, & unoriginal. Masked in Hatred, & Stupidity. I hope that more people sue this a-hole, & expose him for what he is.

So... is the movie worth seeing, or no?

DOG LIPS said:

At times, yes. He knows just where the line is and then crosses it. That never gets old, however, he does do some unsavoury things.

- Whirly

DOG LIPS said:
I give it a C+. Escapes an F because it in fact made me laugh, a lot. Escapes an A, because while funny strikes me as extremely staged, which almost defeats the purpose.

It looks like a variation of "Jackass"...and you either like that or not....except that Borat is doing things to unsuspecting people as opposed to Stev-O and the morons doing it to themselves.

Although I'd say it's a rental. You are not missing anything by not seeing it in Theatres DL. Unless, that is, you feel you cannot wait that long.

enterthemadness said:
Is he a wimp? You get punched, you punch or kick back. Don't see how he would have gotten in trouble. Would have been self defense.

But he should also know better...it's just a movie. Why stay in character? I don't even understand why he's in character for interviews on talk shows.

:down

Maximum_Carnage said:
The difference between Borat, & Kaufman is that Kaufman never went looking for people to pick on. People had to actually buy tickets to watch him. By the time he became popular people pretty much knew what they were getting into.

Borat on the other hand goes onto a subway, & forces people to participate in something that they would never want to do to begin with. Some of these people are just trying to get home! Not chase a chicken around!

The irony is that while he uses Borat's character to expose the sometimes ignorant american tourists. American's for the most part are at least respectful of the country they are in. They don't go around china scream "Where's the Chink! I need a Chink!". That is pretty much what Borat does.

Borat is not Social Satire. He is a man that is incredibly annoying, & unoriginal. Masked in Hatred, & Stupidity. I hope that more people sue this a-hole, & expose him for what he is.

So are you the guy who dislikes it because it makes you feel better about yourself to put down something everyone else likes?

Maximum_Carnage said:
The difference between Borat, & Kaufman is that Kaufman never went looking for people to pick on.
Actually Kaufman did go picking fights. Remember that bout with the wrestler. No one saw that coming, making the commercial where he blasted the South or lambaisted women as being inferior.
People had to actually buy tickets to watch him. By the time he became popular people pretty much knew what they were getting into.
I imagine some did, but a lot did not. And Andy was full of surprises, even to his faithfuls. But then this was a complaint I had with the movie. It seemed very staged at times. While some moments seemed genuine, most of those people had to know what they were getting into. I mean some weird fake looking middle eastern stereotype walking around WITH a camera man. C'mon.

[BLACKOUT]And then there is the whole Pamela Anderson thing at the end. Her bodyguards are not paid to let guys put sacks on her, dry hump her and chase her into a parking lot.[/BLACKOUT] Considering the likelyhood she has delt with creeps before.

Remember da'Ali G Show typically dealt in interviews under the guise of a false publication. This actually had to set up events, which means the event staff at the very least had foreknowledge of a lot of what would happen.

As I say, a simplistic Kaufman. Kaufman annoyed people, really annoyed people. But he had a method (or maybe was batf*** crazy) that was thought out and complex. His took talent. Borat doesn't so much, but like Kaufman it produces the same type of humor.

ShadowBoxing said:
Although I'd say it's a rental. You are not missing anything by not seeing it in Theatres DL. Unless, that is, you feel you cannot wait that long.
Well, it's $5 movie night at this Drafthouse here, so I thought about seeing that or Flushed Away tonight. But Borat seems like it might be the best to spend only $5 on. :o

DOG LIPS said:
Well, it's $5 movie night at this Drafthouse here, so I thought about seeing that or Flushed Away tonight. But Borat seems like it might be the best to spend only $5 on. :o
Yeah, that's about the cost of a rental anyways:o

Love him or hate him, he's got everyone talking about him and he's laughing all the way to the bank.

jag

Matt said:
So are you the guy who dislikes it because it makes you feel better about yourself to put down something everyone else likes?

:whatever: I am not putting him down to feel better about myself. In fact I find myself wasting time on yet another subject I could care less about. I have seen this man's act before Tom Green, Andy Kaufman. These people did it better. So if some of you want to proclaim him to be a genius. I really don't care. I hope you all have fun.

ShadowBoxing said:
I give it a C+. Escapes an F because it in fact made me laugh, a lot. Escapes an A, because while funny strikes me as extremely staged, which almost defeats the purpose.

If people are suing him for their appearances on screen like those frat boys, that such be a hint that most of the movie is not staged.

Or are the lawsuits staged...... :ninja:

DOG LIPS said:

Don't listen to them; they are stupid.

Go! Go now! Watch with all your might!

Maximum_Carnage said:
:whatever: I am not putting him down to feel better about myself. In fact I find myself wasting time on yet another subject I could care less about. I have seen this man's act before Tom Green, Andy Kaufman. These people did it better. So if some of you want to proclaim him to be a genius. I really don't care. I hope you all have fun.

You will be execute. :cmad:

Wait did he just use Tom Green and Andy Kaufman in the same sentence? Your comma cannot hide the lie!! :cmad:

Maximum_Carnage said:

Umm.... we are? That's news to me.

Dew k. Mosi said:
And he made New Yorkers look violent, the south look bigotted and college student look drunk. They aren't all like that, but enough are that it is funny.

Thing I wonder is, how much editing did he have to go thru to get his results. I mean I'll prob rent it, I take humor for what it is and don't have paper skin or anything so I can't watch something I think could offend me. It's just that I wonder how many ppl were actually nice to him, or offered him help, and it somehow just didn't make it into the movie.

As for the actual topic, I think it is disgusting in all honesty. The ppl that were talking in that interview (honestly not trying to be rude here) but probably aren't well educated, they said they were the poorest in their village. He probably knew it which is why he went to them, sticking a ***** on the end of a mans stub knowing that he didn't know what it was (or he would have reacted) and putting it on film is wrong. Thing is tho here in the states, or in Brittain or something we could have laughed it off, but in some parts of the world pride is serious buisness. Like one guy I talked to from Africa, he told me how great it was here in the US because of our freedom and tolerance. That here if a man insults another man, while they get angry, they can still laught it off and be friends, or move on. Where he came from he said some parts an insult like that would be enough to kill someone over. Just because here we think he should laugh off having a ***** on the end of his arm when he didn't know what it is is funny, doesn't mean to that guy there that that wasn't some huge insult insulting his masculinity and hurt how ppl looked at him or something.

The Overlord said:
If people are suing him for their appearances on screen like those frat boys, that such be a hint that most of the movie is not staged.
No, not really. Someone sued Kobe Bryant for rape after she went up to the hotel room herself for sex (or as she said, an "autograph" - my butt). People could retroactively sue him.

Even if you believe it's not candid, he still has to get them all to clear the use of the material he filmed. So if they don't know during, they sure as hell know right after when he has them sign the release agreements.

People like attention, most people will eat cow balls to get on television these days, I don't think being the subject of a farse is that big of a leap.

i was guessing it was house:woot: i wsa disappointed that they weren't going to show this in my city. They were hadning out pins and everythign and now they finally have it in!:woot:

Cyclops said:
You know what? It's JUST a ****ING MOVIE. Everyone in that movie signed contracts. If they didn't read those contracts, the film's producers cannot be held accountable.

My thoughts exactly. No one complained when it was on television, but now the movie is successful and making a load of money they want to get their greedy hands on it. If this movie didn't do so well do you think these people whould all be sueing? of course not it all comes down to greed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"