Bought/Thought 20/02/08

No were not. Thats not the way Stark is supposed to be written at least not lately. With all thats been going on he hasn't been a big joke cracker.

Stark is written a different way with each writer who writes him. With Millar, he walks a line of moral ambiguity. With Jenkins, he's the world's biggest a-hole. With Fraction, he's a witty, rich playboy who can get down to business when he needs to. With the Knaufs, he's an absolute hero.

I don't see a problem with Loeb wanting to have fun with the characters he's writting.

I liked the issue :huh:

You don't think his Stark was a bit absurd? Do you like the thought bubbles in Mighty Avengers too?

I don't think Stark's characterization was absurd. I think it was different than some other writers, but it didn't bother me. And no, I despise the thought bubbles in Mighty Avengers. I will say that this issue of MA was the best yet by far, though.

Things Stark would probably never say outside of this book:

"I'm coming for you, you S.O.B."
"Fall down, you red jackass" (my fav)
"No! Online now! Or you're fired"
"Oh. The. Humanity"

Star Wars: Dark Times #9
Solid penultimate chapter that's gotten my interest back in an otherwise mediocre arc. I think the amount of time it takes for this damn book to come out is part of it, though.

Justice League of America #18
Haven't read yet.

some of you are way to picky, there is a reason someone is chosen to be a writer. its cause the company knows they can pull a job off, before you become a harsh critic could you do a better job? and if so why arent you marvel or dc writers? seriously

I used to be a writer. But when I refused to make Tony Stark call Cage a "jive turkey suckaman", they let me go :o

I bought more than 5 books this week, and I have homework I should probably attend to, so I'm gonna be lazy and write some quick-fire reviews...

Brave and the Bold #10
I only had a basic understanding of what this book is about, and picked it up on a whim. I see that they're aiming for Silver Agey goodness, but I found it a bit boring.

Justice League of America #18
Hooray! The plot is moving forward without going off on a random tangent. However, I'm still pissed at the whole "you'd probably have a better idea of what was going on if you were reading another DC book, but we're not even going to bother telling you which one" thing. Or maybe I'm wrong, and it just has the vibe of a story like that.

The Order #8
I'm still upset that this book is getting the boot so soon after I started buying it, but I'm gonna enjoy the little I can.

The Spirit #14
I'm trying to justify a reason to read next month's issue. I got nothing. Dropped.

The Immortal Iron Fist: Orson Randall and the Green Mist of Death
I'm not usually a fan of "Retcon Characters" (I'm looking at you, Sentry and Vulcan), but I demand more Confederates of the Curious!

Robin #171
More than anything, what's been standing out about recent issues of Robin are the moments with Tim's girlfriend, Zoanne. She gets maybe 2 pages an issue, and it's always the exact same thing: Tim can't concentrate on her because of his life as Robin, she gets upset, he promises to make up for it, and they part ways. Just dump the broad, Tim. You're clearly not putting any effort into it.

Angel: After the Fall #4
Lorne is one of the Lords of LA? Didn't see that one coming. Nor did I predict the return of Groo. If there's one thing about this book that throws me off, however, it's Angel's internal monologue. I'm not used to it. Angel is the type of character we "get" through his actions, not by knowing his thoughts. Thought boxes just seem out of place in this book.

Wonder Girl #6 of 6
Jeeze. Was this book delayed by an extra month or two? I don't even remember how the previous issue ended. All I know is the art is still barely tolerable, and Cassie's newest costume (by far, the best part of this book) was tucked away somewhere, never to be worn again.

some of you are way to picky, there is a reason someone is chosen to be a writer. its cause the company knows they can pull a job off, before you become a harsh critic could you do a better job? and if so why arent you marvel or dc writers? seriously

*Points at xisaacx and laughs

Things Stark would probably never say outside of this book:

"I'm coming for you, you S.O.B."
"Fall down, you red jackass" (my fav)
"No! Online now! Or you're fired"
"Oh. The. Humanity"

Yea you guys need to relax.Loeb is obviously making this book as over the top and meat headed as possible with some MINOR mystery thrown in.This was apparent from the first issue.:bh:

Yeah, I think people went into this book with the wrong expectations. I think Loeb and Marvel made it perfectly clear this was going to be the equivalent of a Michael Bay movie. Stupid, but fun.

Look, I don't mind Stupid, but fun, but you still have to make sense from scene to scene, book to book. And if it's a mystery, if you just pull random crap out of your arse, it's not a mystery. It's just trying to show the reader how smart you are.

And I'm sorry, but his dialogue is horrible. It feels like they came up with dialogue, and then put in characters later. (Give 'em Hell She-Hulk!)

Loeb has not impressed me lately. His Wolverine run had the same flaws. Half the time I felt like I didn't know what was going on, and where he was plucking these characters out of.

I usually don't criticize comics this much, but this issue was really that bad. Especially considering that I thought the set-up in issue#1 was much better than I expected. One more issue like this and I'll drop it for sure.

Difference of opinion, I guess. I just see it differently. Loeb obviously has a plan for this book, so having things turn out to be differently than they might seem doesn't come of as random to me. Like any unfolding plot, the questions will be answered in time.

Look, I don't mind Stupid, but fun, but you still have to make sense from scene to scene, book to book. And if it's a mystery, if you just pull random crap out of your arse, it's not a mystery. It's just trying to show the reader how smart you are.

And I'm sorry, but his dialogue is horrible. It feels like they came up with dialogue, and then put in characters later. (Give 'em Hell She-Hulk!)

Loeb has not impressed me lately. His Wolverine run had the same flaws. Half the time I felt like I didn't know what was going on, and where he was plucking these characters out of.

I usually don't criticize comics this much, but this issue was really that bad. Especially considering that I thought the set-up in issue#1 was much better than I expected. One more issue like this and I'll drop it for sure.

Dude,issue one had such ridiculous lines as "give my regards to pigglet" and "harrumph".That was a good enough indication of where this title was going.

Another thing is that I'm of the opinion that some books just aren't meant for some people. If you don't like the story or characterization of Iron Man in this book, there are plenty of other books that write him differently. That doesn't make this book bad, per se. It just might not be your cup of tea. Exiles is like that for me. I know a lot people love it, but it's just not for me.

Honestly, I don't have an axe to grind or anything. But even when I read the preview online I was wondering if maybe I missed something. I figured it would be clearer once I had the issue in hand. But it left me scratching my head even more. Probably the only reason I mention it is because I did feel the same way on the Wolverine run. I kept saying, "Well, it will make sense eventually." and it never really did.

Dude,issue one had such ridiculous lines as "give my regards to pigglet" and "harrumph".That was a good enough indication of where this title was going.

What, so I'm supposed out that the dialogue sucked in the first issue, too? What kind of logic is that?

What about the Wolverine story didn't make sense to you?

I'd have to re-read it. If you're looking for a point by point argument, I didn't really like it enough to remember that much about it. The fact of the matter is that I thought it was a yawner. Even Sabre's decapitation was completely anti-climatic.

I'd have to re-read it. If you're looking for a point by point argument, I didn't really like it enough to remember that much about it. The fact of the matter is that I thought it was a yawner. Even Sabre's decapitation was completely anti-climatic.

Apparently it was half of a story that Loeb wanted to tell but couldn't. That may have factored into it.

What about Hulk #2 didn't make sense to you?

Oh jeez, Hulk #2. The textbook example of a story that has abandoned all sense of continuity.

Considering your unwavering support of BND all I have to say is..... IIIIIrrroooonnnnyyyyyy!!!!(singsong style)

I liked Hulk #2 as well, but the "Oh the humanity" comment was just a tad too much for me...

:csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"