Bought/Thought January 28th *spoilers*

Same thing happened to me. It mystified everyone on here at the time, but I just can't get into Daredevil at all. I've tried various times throughout the Bendis run and once during the Brubaker run, and I either couldn't get into it at all or I read it for a few issues and then lost interest. As it stands, the best 'Daredevil' comic I've read so far has been the Battlin' Jack Murdock mini. :dry:

I annoyed quite a few people when I said it was the art that put me off the book. Michael Lark's during the Brubaker run, but especially Alex Maleev's during the Bendis run. I hated his art during The Murdock Papers issue I looked at so much, that I have found myself saying I hated Lark's art because I was incorrectly atributing Maleev's earlier Daredevil work to him.

Though when I did my big Marvel sampling a month or so ago, including Daredevil, I found myself warming to Lark's art style, and think it compliments Daredevil's world nicely. Though I actually prefer Daredevil to the Captain America issues I've read, I still don't know if I'm on for the long haul. I will at least stick around for Return of the King, though.

Enlighten me.

Hercules, Nova, Ghost Rider, Moon Knight...

And I will also suggest Amazing Spider-Man... no decompression storytelling anymore... if you can get over the fact at what happened at the end of 2007, then you might dig the book.

I've been reading the title monthly since 1975, so I'm kind of hooked on it, though I can say it's been way better than it has been in years.

:yay:

True, both Sub-Mariner and Magneto are minis one issue from completion. But as someone who was, until recently, pretty much exclusively DC, these are the Marvel titles that have really impressed me, that even I must admit are every bit as good - if not better - than DC's best monthly output.

EDIT: Just read you refuse to read anything by Greg Pak. That's a shame. Magneto Testament is my first exposure to his writing, and I think he's done fine work. Though it's the art by Carmine Di Giandomenico that is the book's true highlight.
True that, Magneto Testament has been one of the best comics that I have ever read. It's definitely going to become a must-have for Magneto/X-Men fans.

As for not reading anything written by Pak -- why?! Pak is writing War Machine (a badass shoot-em-up book), Incredible Herc (def one of Marvel's best books right now), Skaar (the sequel to Planet Hulk, which is one of the best Hulk stories of all time), and Magneto Testament.

All those books are completely different from one another and they're all incredibly good. Great pacing, dialogue, action, comedy, etc. Read some Greg Pak, dammit. It's a lot better than most of the stuff you're reading now.

I'm not going to say "read anything by Pak," but Ari is giving Skaar a raw deal if he's ignoring it solely on the basis of WWH. Skaar is literally 100% more like Planet Hulk, which was actually good, than WWH, which was not. It's basically Conan and the Hulk mixed into one epic package. Plus, Butch Guice and Ron Garney are drawing it.

I'd also like to add the following:

Thor
Sub-Mariner: The Depths
X-Men: Magneto Testament
OK, so "I refuse to read anything by Greg Pak" actually means, "I tried Magneto Testament without realizing it was Greg Pak and it didn't do much for me." Not sure why, but as a Jew I'm actually really choosy about Holocaust literature. So much of it out there just makes it into a ****in' Hallmark card, you know? Not saying that's what Magneto Testament did, but it didn't jump out and grab me either.

Every time I think about trying Namor, when I remember him doing something cool like attacking the pro-registration forces, I just as quickly realize that he's a *****e and he makes me hate him just be reading him. If he breaks up Scott and Emma, I will be sorely tempted to stop reading X-Men.

Thor bores me.

Hercules, Nova, Ghost Rider, Moon Knight...
I'm hearing a lot of people suggest this Herc book, and of course no one can ever stop talking about Nova. I may have to try them. Are they new-reader accessible, if I start reading them from the beginnings of the current volumes?

I've also long pondered a foray into Moon Knight. Read a couple of his issues, maybe they were CW tie-ins, can't remember, but they seemed alright.

And I am reading Ghost Rider.

And I will also suggest Amazing Spider-Man... no decompression storytelling anymore... if you can get over the fact at what happened at the end of 2007, then you might dig the book.

I've been reading the title monthly since 1975, so I'm kind of hooked on it, though I can say it's been way better than it has been in years.
I, on the other hand, have hated Spider-Man since I first heard of him in like 1990 when I was four and thought he looked dumb, so I'm kind of hooked on that, you know.

As for not reading anything written by Pak -- why?! Pak is writing War Machine (a badass shoot-em-up book), Incredible Herc (def one of Marvel's best books right now), Skaar (the sequel to Planet Hulk, which is one of the best Hulk stories of all time), and Magneto Testament.
Badass shoot-em-up books: hard not to find one. I prefer Man With No Name (damn you Dynamite, for making me buy from you!) Someone tell me why I should like Incredible Herc and I'll consider it. World War Hulk made me never want to read about the Hulk or anybody who looks like the Hulk. I despise that story, possibly more than I despise Countdown. And Magneto Testament bored me.

Someone tell me why I should like Incredible Herc and I'll consider it.

It's well-written with engaging action, endearing characterization, and an appreciation for the depth and breadth of both comics continuity and classical mythology.

Last edited:
Thor bores me.

Thor didn't much interest me either. But JMS' run totally turned upside down any preconceptions I had about the character and his world. Surely one of the best books out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"