Bought/Thought 10/17/07

CaptainCanada

Shield of the True North
Reaction score
The Brave and the Bold #7

I got this because I’m a big Wonder-fan, and so any chance to see George Perez draw her is worth a look, and Mark Waid is writing, so I figured the odds are that it would be a decent read. Of course, Perez just brings back painful memories of how good his Wonder Woman was, and how DC has basically destroyed all the stuff he improved in Volume Three. On the art front, I wasn’t disappointed, although it’s interesting to see Perez draw her with her Dodson-designed costume, and with straight hair. Everything else looks lovely too. Now, onto the story. It’s a pretty straightforward done-in-one story, albeit with the hint of a new recurring villain who will doubtless appear in the future. Wonder Woman finds out the someone has subliminally influenced Power Girl to murder Superman using Red Kryptonite, and the two of them duly investigate and make their way to the Lost Library of Alexandria (which is just hidden, apparently, and the Amazons know where); Wonder Woman prays her way in (which brings up questions about the Gods, given what we know from Amazons Attack, but if this is the start of a general trend of ignoring that, I’m all for it), and they encounter Doctor Alchemy, who uses the Philosopher’s Stone to possess Power Girl, and go do the killing himself. He doesn’t succeed obviously. It’s a decent superhero story, and Diana’s great; my main problem is Power Girl, who seems way too angry here; if this is what she’s always like, I would have real concerns about her leading the JSA.

Captain America #31 (Best of the Week) (tie)

This was a bit slower than the last issue, but still great. Picking up from last issue, Bucky is now the prisoner of the Red Skull, and being reprogrammed by Doctor Faustus to become an assassin; Sharon is now talking with some sort of other personality in her head, and off to join the Red Skull’s side; Sam and Natasha were only stunned, and are now working with Iron Man on what to do next. And the Red Skull makes a public appearance to 2000 Kronas security guards, making a rousing "down with the USA" speech. Most of the issue follows Faustus trying to rewrite the Winter Soldier’s memories, in order to reactivate his old heartless killer persona; to this end, we get a bunch of World War II flashbacks that try to paint Cap and Invaders as traitors, villains, and, ultimately, jerks who abandoned Bucky. At issue’s end, Faustus appears to have succeeded, and commands Bucky to shoot Sharon in the head. He fires, but we don’t see at who; now, the obvious ending is that he shoots Faustus, but I doubt that’s what Brubaker has in mind; I doubt it’s really Sharon, though. But a great and unexpected twist ending. After five issues of doing half and half with Mike Perkins, Steve Epting is back to doing all that art himself, while Perkins goes off to do that "House of M: Avengers" miniseries with Christos Gage. Epting's art is awesome, but there's one panel of the Red Skull in this (during the speech) that looks way too cartoony for my tastes. Otherwise, another great issue of Marvel’s best title.

Checkmate #19 (Best of the Week) (tie)

After an issue of the good guys plotting to bring down "the Wall" for her various misdeeds over the last 18 issues, this issue is Waller striking back at her opponents with all the dirty laundry in her arsenal; first and foremost, she’s got sexy photos of Sasha Bordeaux and Mister Terrific gettin’ it on, and photos of the Black King meeting with the Martian Manhunter in Tel-Aviv last issue. She’s also got the US government at her side, and they plot to purge the other Royals from Checkmate, leaving the Wall in control, since they’d all prefer if Checkmate continued to operate as a purely American agency. Meanwhile, Sasha’s Knight slowly recuperates from being shot by Deadshot, while Jessica Midnight and Fire track down Deadshot; the issue ends with Midnight staring down the barrels of Deadshot’s guns, since Waller gave orders to kill. Eep. We also get more information on August General In Iron, the new Black King’s Bishop. Much like Brubaker on Captain America, Rucka is a master of slow-burn storytelling, and this is coming to a boil. Despite Waller’s skill as a dirty fighter, I can’t imagine her winning, given that it would involve purging much of the book’s regular cast, including Rucka’s pet character Sasha. Bennett’s art is very nice, and suits the title perfectly.

Fables #66

Speaking of slow-build, Fables is a very interesting title when it comes to pacing. It can dally for several issues on stuff that doesn’t seem all that consequential (as it recently did in the mid-50s), and then shift gears and enter the current "Good Prince" arc, which has seen incredible developments over the course of individual issues. At this point, Ambrose (Flycatcher) has set up a huge kingdom within the Adversary’s dominions, and dared the Empire to bring all its military to fight them. Next issue promises the first battle between the armies of the Empire and, well, it’s not at all clear what the Kingdom of Haven is going to do, since the only people going out to meet them are Ambrose and his squire, Trusty John. For the last several issues, Shere Khan and Bluebeard have been scheming behind Ambrose’s back, and that comes to head here with astonishing quickness (and spot of violence the likes of which this series hasn’t had for a good while). And the rest of the Fables continue to watch all these developments in the Magic Mirror like it’s a TV show, except with real stakes; sort of like reality TV, but not appalling, I suppose. This continues to be one of the most dependable titles on the market from month to month.

Justice League of America #14

After the funhouse mirror art from last month, we get Ed Benes back on regular art duties, which is both a blessing and a curse. The action is far more dynamic, and the characters more pleasing to look at, but we also get a two-page spread dominated by an unconscious Wonder Woman displaying what can only be described as the Rack of Ages, with Black Canary’s ass in the background. Now, I like some sexy ladies as much as the next person, but it’s really jarring and doesn’t fit with McDuffie’s fairly straightforward superhero story. But, anyway, the art is what it is, and I prefer it to the stuff we got last issue. As stated before, Dwayne McDuffie’s first arc continues to be a pretty by-the-book superhero story, where the JLA fight a bunch their worst enemies, who are out to take over the world. It’s refreshing after Meltzer’s talkfest, but at the same time I think there could be more done here; but, on it’s own terms, the story is fine.

Mighty Avengers #5

And while we’re on the subject of sexy ladies in superhero comics, the master artist in that particular field, Frank Cho, delivers the goods in another issue of what would be the best Avengers title on the market if it came out more regularly. Anyway, the Mighty Avengers are still fighting Ultron, and Ares’ plan to defeat Ultron is pretty straightforward, although he makes an interesting assumption about Ultron’s physical form (that she’s not entirely machine, since Stark’s body wasn’t, which is actually rational, now that I think about it). It’s a straightforward action story, but I think it’s got more scope than McDuffie’s does (it would make a pretty good Avengers movie story). And, for all the talk about how Bendis doesn’t like Hank Pym, he’s actually quite useful here, and no *****ier than any other Bendis character ever is.

X-Men: Emperor Vulcan #2

Following the emergence of new villains last issue, this issue deals with the aftermath of their arrival. The new Scy’ar Tal villains have been preparing themselves to fight the Shi’ar for one thousand years, ever since the Shi’ar attacked them and drove them from their homeworld, and they’re apparently the original owners of the M’Kraan Crystal. And they have some pretty impressive technology on their side; the leader, Eldest, is able to shrug off Vulcan and Gladiator in physical combat, breaking the latter’s wrist. Most of the issue is just the characters struggling to figure out what to do during the battle, with the closing credits have Vulcan arrive on the Starjammer to propose a team-up against the Scyar’Tal. Yost is a great writer for the X-Men, with strong understanding of their history, and Diaz’s art is very good (better than either Uncanny X-Men or X-Men have at the moment).

What can I say? I love my B-list X-Men in space.

I'm glad I dropped JLA.I read 13 and 14 in store and it's by the numbers stuff.JLA vs Legion of Doom has been done to death and I really see no new take here at all.Hopefully things get fresh after this Injustice arc.

For the record,Meltzer's JLA still holds up.

I am glad I dropped JLA also, but somehow in a completely different way than you are. It has to be:csad:

Today was a somewhat heavy day on my wallet, although not so much on volume. Two $4 comics, INVINCIBLE running behind original schedules by a week or two (as usual), and an impulse buy of a trade. Overall, though, this was a pro-Marvel week and a decent one at that.

As always, heavy spoilers!

Dread's BOUGHT/THOUGHT for 10/17/07:

CAPTAIN AMERICA #31:
Not an illusion, or an imaginary tale! For those who haven't checked out the CAPTAIN AMERICA thread in a while, yes, I did get around to buying the Omnibus from Amazon:
http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=12985273&postcount=1440
(which is selling it at quite a discount, like over 30% off the retail price) and reading it, as well as the last five issues via back issue searches. I am all caught up, and while it isn't my favorite title from Marvel right now (as I include mini's in that estimate), it is damn good and among one of their best ongoings right now. Brubaker's had an incredible run here and while it hasn't been 100% flawless, the flaws are more like nitpicks than major issues. Among Brubaker's strengths is showcased in this issue, and that was his ability to not only resurrect Bucky as Winter Soldier, but sell the controversial idea by making him a rich, interesting, historied character in his own right (as some could say he always was, least in memory). From interviews Brubaker has given, he obviously related to Bucky as a child and in many ways, his heart is on WS's cybernetic arm, but that isn't a bad thing here. Winter Soldier is a cool character and he adds quite a bit to the franchise and the MU as a whole, that when combined with an engaging story have allowed Brubaker to resurrect a character no one expected any writer to get away with (even though, as Brubaker himself said, Bucky's death never happened, and was itself a retcon, from Stan Lee himself, who was never fond of side-kicks supposedly).
Anyway, enough praising, and more spoilers. Last few issues have naturally focused on Steve Roger's allies, now that the man himself has been murdered by an alliance of his worst foes (Red Skull, Dr. Faustus, Arnim Zola, and Crossbones). As America, Falcon, and Sharon Carter/Agent 13 mourn, Winter Soldier has set his sniper's scope for both Tony Stark and Red Skull/Gen. Lukin, and stumbles upon the latter. As they have done the entire run so far, Red Skull/Lukin are masters at manipulating their enemies (the heroes) like pawns to get them where they want, and as such WS is captured. Falcon and Black Widow were seeking him out when the Faustus-Controlled Agent 13 seemingly gunned them down, although she only stunned them when she could have killed them, noting that it is possible that part of Sharon is resisting Faustus' control. Agent 13 herself is tormented by the memories of being forced to fatally gun down Capt. America. Most of the issue, however, is in flashback as Dr. Faustus and Winter Soldier engage in a battle of wills; Red Skull/Lukin apparently sees Winter Soldier as useful, but only when he is a mind-controlled sniping machine, so Faustus is out to warp his memories of Cap & The Invaders, much as Lukin had done for ages. But this time, Bucky refused to submit or forget who he is, at least until the end, when Dr. Faustus seemingly "re-awakens" his Winter Soldier persona and orders him to kill Sharon Carter. The final page is a showcase of how to effectively pace a cliffhanger, and now for the first time in my reading of this run, I'll have to actually wait a month or longer for the next installment. As always, Epting delivers on great art and the title would never look the same without he and Perkins. Ironically, Red Skull's big plan wasn't to simply murder Capt. America, but to do something even more nefarious, which involves a new army of followers, some controlled SHIELD agents, and a potential time-travel device bartered from Dr. Doom (and mucked with by Zola). Red Skull is a challenge of a villain for even the best of writers as unlike many rogues, as Brubaker notes in interviews, he has no redeeming quality or sympathetic motivation. Even Magneto or Dr. Doom have some noble purpose or understandable aim. Red Skull has moved far beyond simple Nazi worship and just seeks to do evil for sadism's sake, and it seems that Lukin may be losing the battle of wills over that body (he seems to be Skull more often now). Brubaker manages to handle him like a cunning sadist and it works. That said, the story has been boiling forth for almost 3 years now and hopefully comes to a bit of a satisfying climax soon. Brubaker is a master of suspenseful build-up, but every now and then needs to deliver satisfying payoff. He's done so before, so I have faith. Can't wait to see Winter Soldier kick some tail, and those 4-5 weeks before another issue seem so long, which is as it should be.

MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS #2: I enjoyed the debut issue, but this isn't for all tastes and sales-wise, the first issue didn't sell very well and the 2nd issue drop will probably be steep, and I doubt this is lasting beyond #12. As it was, it had a tough sell to begin with, being more of a "format" book than a book that sells because of a creative run or story. It is Marvel's official anthology book. Much as Marvel once had an Official Team-Up book. Readers decided it didn't matter to the grand scheme and it tanked in sales. MCP is more complicated because unlike the first volume, which shipped twice a month, this one ships only once so in terms of page-count, a 3 issue story could take almost a year to be completed (you get an 8-14 page installment of each story every month). This issue streamlines things a bit as there are 3 ongoing stories and one "one shot" tale. Last time around, the one-shot's were among the highlights and this time is no exception. The first is the Vanguard story which is moving around as a murder mystery and seems to be going a bit slowly under this format. It is interesting (a man described as The Watcher was last seen near the murdered John Doe, and Reed Richards confirms the murder victim was known to NOBODY on the planet), but Guggenhiem isn't used to this format yet. It was laugh-worthy hearing Richards prattle about The Watcher's code of non-involvement, considering the Watcher has VIOLATED that code about a billion times over the past 40 years. Sure, he hasn't shot anyone, but he's violated that code a-plenty. The banter between Stacy Dolan and Reed was amusing, though. The Hellcat story also comes along from the Immonen couple, and while it has some quirky charm to it, this was a build-up chapter and felt a bit confusing with all the Patsy Walker's running about. Apparently her magic book split her off into various personas, but if the next installment doesn't pick up it may lose me (the cover is great, however). Hellcat/Patsy Walker is a longtime Marvel character so I will give her a chance. The third stand-alone story is the best of the whole issue, IMO. It involves the Taskmaster invading SHIELD's helicarrier and seemingly about to answer the prayers of half the Marvel audience and murder Maria Hill, only for it to be revealed that she'd HIRED Taskmaster to expose their flaws in security. This makes sense as the government had hired him before CW, most notably to train a new Captain America when Steve went rogue some years back. Taskmaster is a great villain who has lacked any sort of Ooomph for quite some time and this was a cool story. Yes, his Perez costume is outdated and looks even more like Deathstroke with a white Red SKull mask and Hobgoblin hooded cape (even if he came out the same year as Deathstroke), but Marvel is sticking with it and Taskmaster comes off looking cool and professional, and even chilling in the last page. M. Zachary Sherman wrote the story with Khoi Pham on art and I've heard of neither, but that is fine; MCP was also used as a way to test new talent. I mean in the last few months, Taskmaster was getting spanked by Deadpool and Moon Knight (while looking like a weenie in the latter) and his last moderately cool moment was, ironically, in CIVIL WAR #7 where he got to take down Black Crow, Solo, and Mr. Fantastic before getting flattened by Invisible Woman. It leads into Taskmaster's upcoming AVENGERS: INITIATIVE appearence and it should be noted he is one of the few people who got a scream, or almost one, from Maria Hill. The last story is the continuation of the WEAPON OMEGA story from Koslowski & DiVito, and if Marvel thought a story about him would allow MCP to sell like OMEGA FLIGHT did (which sold around 50k for it's entire run, which is very good considering the franchise), they were wrong. It is a build-up issue as Porter talks to his shrink and U.S. Agent does more snooping. Essentially, Porter is crippled by fear and it is effecting his powers, even with his containment costume. DiVito makes it look lovely. Really nothing that offended me, but the Taskmaster story was the highlight. I was optimistic about the first issue, but this one was a bit slower and hopefully things can pick up despite the pace. But I foresee this title failing, and I am not surprised. If some B, C, and D-Listers can get decent stories out of it beforehand, though, then it served it's purpose.

MIGHTY AVENGERS #5: One of those rare months when what Marvel expected to be their #2 best selling ongoing ships. NEW AVENGERS outsells it by a clip of at least 10k a month and that may have to do with the cast, or the fact that Cho's cheescake art isn't nearly as vital as Marvel believes (and, upon seeing Marvel's latest SHANNA mini diving below the Top 100 with HEROES FOR HIRE not far behind, sales have declared the T & A craze dead, if only editors would acknowledge it). This is a story, as some posters have had to remind me, that seeks to work as a semi-mindless actioner and really can't stand up to any scrutiny. I contend that Bendis has evolved past the point in fame that such silly stories can be tolerated, and the fact that these were the cast of backstabbing pro-SHRA heroes as recently as 6 months ago (or less) in NEW AVENGERS leaves an ill taste in the mouth (read about Iron Fascist and his Merry Band of Boot-Stompers! Oh, and boobies!). But aside for that, this book so far is about boobies, punching stuff, and punching stuff with boobies. Like Micheal Bay, only more immature. As if the fact that this story wasn't catered to Cheesecake Cho enough by having Ultron morph into Nekkid Janet for the entire story, at one point Ms. Marvel straddles a phallic looking rocket. I'd be more forgiving if Cho's SHANNA covers from a few years ago didn't depict Shanna grappling with gators that were shaped very much like penises. Cho may very well be the only artist out there who can draw 22 pages with one hand, which may explain his lateness (and the fact that he does random covers for other books, notably JUNGLE GIRL, which he also writes, for DYNAMITE). I wonder if he leaves **** stains on his pencilled page invoices. I am not the type who is easily swayed by cheesecake art, but thankfully the issue has enough action to sell it. Sentry is very angry that Nekkid Ultrona just murdered his wife, so he goes all Goku and starts punching her, until she adapts to his power source and beats him back. Wonder Man uses his ionic energy to warp her out, until she adapts and beats him back. See a pattern? Ultrona is invincible and cannot be beaten until the story says she can, and Bendis makes no attempt to mask this convience much. On the brighter side, Widow ordering Pym to the Helicarrier is producing a virus to be injected into Nekkid Ultrona, and Ares finally stops acting like a ******ed 300 castaway and comes up with a very competant plan to defeat their threat, and Ant-Man serves as a distraction for it. Bendis' Ultron not only LOOKS like a woman, but acts like it, once claiming to "love" humanity and now having sissy daddy-issues for Pym, which Ultron did have, but not quite in this way. I used to complain that Bendis' Avengers teams fought more ninjas than villains; if Bendis is going to warp more baddies as badly as he has Ultron, then I say bring on the ninjas. He's much better with The Hood. Still, if you just don't accept this is Ultron, but some Nekkid Silver Clone of Wasp, then all the punching and stuff reads fine. What doesn't read fine is some repetitive computer lingo and some more randomly useless thought balloons; they merely state the obvious at this point and could be forgotten. But in a way this is a symbol of what Bendis in a nutshell always does; he has contempt for superhero comics and feels their genre expectations can't possible be appealing without his almighty bald stamp on them, and in his effort to "remake" them, to fix what ain't broke, he does something worse. It gets very old and holds him back, when he would be best playing up to his strengths (like urban noir) and not being as fixated in pissing his name in the snow of history. For what it is, though, it is entertaining if you don't overthink it, like I did. Even with, the punching is nice and decently paced. Cho's art is appealing when he's not pandering to erotica.

TERROR, INC. #3: An enjoyable MAX series starring a C-List supernatural character that unfortunately is sinking like a stone in sales; 14k a month at this point. As this is a $3.99 book, that is actually better than had it been regular price, but it still isn't encouraging for fans who want MAX to rival VERTIGO someday. Besides that, though, this is an enjoyable story that manages to make an undead killer in Terror relatable because his enemies are even nastier (not only does Sparks murder his contact Boneyard, but rapes her beforehand). Sparks and his squad seemingly have Terror pinned down, but he carves a path of murder out and quite literally tears Sparks into pieces, which is actually very satisfying, especially to someone like me who used to draw stories like this in notebooks in junior high. Terror hooks back up with Ms. Primo and gets the score on his enemies, although he estimates he only has 24 hours before his undead life comes to an end. The shock at the end is that the leader of this new cabal is his old lover from "back home". That is an effective twist on the story and the character and one I thought was clever. It places Terror in a dilemma that involves more than killing something, which is appreciated. The explicit content isn't too over the top and seems appropriate for a dark story like this, and Terror works very well under that format. I could easily buy an ongoing of this, but sales make that unlikely. For as long as the flesh holds together, though, I'll be aboard for it.

ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR #47: The best of the two Ultimate books I still collect, Carey hit a stride last story by picking at the leftovers from Ellis' "Ultimate Galactus" misfire, and this time looks for a repeat by essentially being inspired by Ultimate Nightmare, which had some Soviet Freaks in Russia causing trouble. It also looks to introduce Ultimate Red Ghost, and that easily means we are scraping the bottom of the rogue's gallery (granted, the Four's isn't as deep as Spidey's is). Brooks returns on art and it looks very energetic. Reed is holed up in his room, building the Cosmic Cube, as Thanos ordered him to during GODWAR. His team is growing frustrated with him and Sue is so irked she goes off on a mission to Russia to essentially have some space. Unfortunately, Red Ghost, who seems to be a master at splicing body parts for various effects, has his eye on her and quickly captures her. Thanos' influence decides to leave Reed after he gets far enough with the Cube (interestingly, Thunderbolt Ross is FOR Reed this time as he sees the Cube as an endless source of energy), and the rest of the Four get ready for a rescue. Invisible Girl was often the "hostage of the week" for the Lee/Kirby Four and thankfully that angle hasn't worn out a welcome in UFF yet. Ivan Kragoff isn't leading around apes quite yet, but he is introduced as a sinister mad doctor and it works. Carey isn't afriad of straight up superhero stuff with some dark twists, and after some shakey arcs has been coming together nicely on UFF. I actually look forward to seeing how this develops. Sadly, it is the poorest selling of the Ultimate line.

ULTIMATE X-MEN #87: If any book demonstrated that the Ultimate line needs a bit of a creative reimagining, and perhaps even a haitus until one occurs, it is this book. It is Robert Kirkman's best selling book, and yet his worst in terms of quality, which is horribly gaulling when you consider most of his best titles always sell below the Top 100. He has been on the book for longer than BKV was (I believe; it at least feels that long, he was on for a year and a half) and the book isn't better for it. That said, Kirkman has improved from his first two arcs, and the cliffhanger at the end of this issue stokes all sorts of ideas (Bishop and Cable, in cahoots after all). And Paquette has finally delivered dynamic art for action stories, something that alluded Kirkman for a while on this book on a regular basis. But in many ways, Ultimate X-Men is a book that should be enjoying all the freedoms that it has from the rest of the X-Franchise, and instead it is recreating them. It is a book that is free of M-Day, which has crippled the entire franchise. It still has a community of mutants. Before Kirkman, it had no time travellers, no aliens, no alternate realities, and a managable cast of 7-10 of the best known and popular characters, and was still running with the established, fan-tested format. Under Kirkman, that has all gone to hell. He has added, either permanently or if not heavilly teased, with time-travel. The more he writes about Phoenix the more I fear aliens are a-comin'. And many of the book's title characters (Cyclops, Jean, Iceman, Rogue, Colossus, etc.) and their Mansion are off to the side so we can enjoy the adventures of B-List characters like Bishop, Psylocke, Pyro, and Stryfe. Really, was the world crying for Ultimate Stryfe!? He obviously believes Storm & Wolverine are the only A-Listers who count, which is a theory that in itself has damaged the X-Men beyond repair many times (Millar, at least, balenced the characters out). The story does come to a decent climax, though, as the MLF (themselves a C-List threat in the comics) and the Fenris Twins' plot is exposed, and there are a lot of Sentinals smashed and stuff to pick up for another day. But I feel Kirkman is trapped in a pit of simply re-creating 616 mythos rather than revel in the fact that it DOESN'T EXIST in Ultimate to go somewhere fresh and new. Kirkman's great on other books, but not this one. He's average on this one, and if the Ultimate books are to survive, they need perfect fits on creative teams.

My "impulse buy" was another Kirkman work, the TPB of CAPES. I figured, it is Kirkman, IMAGE, and superheroes, so I should enjoy it.

I am glad I dropped JLA also, but somehow in a completely different way than you are. It has to be:csad:

Well, I since I wrote about my feelings on JLA already, I won't rehearse them over and over again. The short version is that Meltzer had the right idea-- put the JLA in a situation where their character as people was more important than their ability to punch things out. But his JLA was boring and confusing at the same time. He more or less hit me in the gut, taking all the wind out of me, when he wrote a bi-monthly series based on the Red Tornado. I ask again-- who cares? The Lightning Saga is harder to evaluate because it was such a tight cross-over with JSA.

McDuffie's dialogue and scripting is easier to read, and more affective, not only because it's not confusing, but because it's good. Right there he has a plus on Meltzer. Major hero-villain fights have been done to death in every comic. Whether it is JLA vs Injustice League or whether it is Cap vs Hydra. But that is bread and butter for most mainstream comics. Do I want this JLA to end with the predictable fight? No, it is a bit common after all, but I think this arc was a great shot in the arm for the series. It's short, it's monthly, and most of all, it's iconic. (Meltzer loves the b listers like Geoff Johns loves scratching through continuity to bring in the most obscure people.)

Well, I since I wrote about my feelings on JLA already, I won't rehearse them over and over again. The short version is that Meltzer had the right idea-- put the JLA in a situation where their character as people was more important than their ability to punch things out. But his JLA was boring and confusing at the same time. He more or less hit me in the gut, taking all the wind out of me, when he wrote a bi-monthly series based on the Red Tornado. I ask again-- who cares? The Lightning Saga is harder to evaluate because it was such a tight cross-over with JSA.

McDuffie's dialogue and scripting is easier to read, and more affective, not only because it's not confusing, but because it's good. Right there he has a plus on Meltzer. Major hero-villain fights have been done to death in every comic. Whether it is JLA vs Injustice League or whether it is Cap vs Hydra. But that is bread and butter for most mainstream comics. Do I want this JLA to end with the predictable fight? No, it is a bit common after all, but I think this arc was a great shot in the arm for the series. It's short, it's monthly, and most of all, it's iconic. (Meltzer loves the b listers like Geoff Johns loves scratching through continuity to bring in the most obscure people.)

How was it confusing?Did you have a hard time matching the characters with their designated colored dialog boxes?

I don't see how an overdone story can be a "shot in the arm" for a book.Batman not selling?Let's have him fight the Joker.Cap not doing so well?Let's have him fight the Red Skull for 4 issues.

JLA #14 - Set up for a killer fight next issue. Not sure why Supes didn't let Jeff go get help though. 6/10

Mighty Avengers #5 - This was a horrible issue. Why am I still reading this? 4/10

X-Men Emperor Vulcan #2 - I wanted this to be a fight between Havok's people and Vulcan's people. Not digging these Scy'ar Tal people. Why am IU still reading this? 5/10

New Excalibur #24 - This was the worst comic I've read all year. Until CC is off the book, I'm done reading this. 1/10

Captain America #31 - Was hoping this book would save my books this week......and it didn't. They're setting up next month's issue pretty well though. 7/10

All in all, this was a terrible horrible no-good very bad week :(:down::(

Light week. My shop didn't have Beast Wars in, sadly, and I would've actually waited a week if it weren't for Cap.

Captain America- PICK OF THE WEEK! The great thing about this book is that even the issues that are slower are still great. Not a ton happens here, but we're left with a cliffhanger that's definitely gonna have me wondering for the next month, even if I do have a good guess. 9/10

Marvel Zombies 2- A fun issue that captures the spirit of the last mini quite well. The ending was surprising. Really reminded me of Kirkman's other awesome Zombie book. Can't wait for next issue. 8/10

Mighty Avengers- More widescreen style action. I just wish it didn't take so long to get here. I already like Ares more than Thor. That's right, *****es. I went there. 8/10

I'm glad I dropped JLA.I read 13 and 14 in store and it's by the numbers stuff.JLA vs Legion of Doom has been done to death and I really see no new take here at all.Hopefully things get fresh after this Injustice arc.

For the record,Meltzer's JLA still holds up.

:up:

MA Ares is a shell of his character during his Oeming mini. I like 'em both though; but Thor has knocked he on my ass since his return.

To be honest, I haven't picked it up. If I hear enough good, I'll go for the trade. I just never got into Thor, to be honest.

MA Ares is a shell of his character during his Oeming mini. I like 'em both though; but Thor has knocked he on my ass since his return.

I need to pick up that trade soon.Read it,but one of those stories you want on your shelf.

CAPES: This is a recently released TPB of a superhero series Robert Kirkman & Mark Englert started in 2003 (before WALKING DEAD started but around when INVINCIBLE #6 shipped) that was intended as sort of a complimentary book to INVINCIBLE. It only lasted 3 issues, however. But in 2006-2007, the team re-united to write another 3 issues worth of material via back-up strips in INVINCIBLE, and the combined story is presented here. Englert's style is very simular to Erik Larson's; so much so that you might confuse him for a younger, less experienced Larson (with some hints of Frank Miller thrown in). It isn't a style that is everyone's cup of tea (as many times the character models are distorted and exaggerated, even for comics), but Englert definitely gets better as the story goes on; the stuff from the back-ups is his best work on the title, especially the last 35 or so pages worth (and the trade cover). The series is about a handful of superheroes who make up Capes, Inc., a superhero company that gets government funding and has heroes on payrolls, with things like overtime, hazard pay and even rules regarding resurrections and back-pay! Coming off CW, which sought to make all superheroes federal employees with "benefits", the timing was interesting as this was a more humorous take. These characters popped up now and again in INVINCIBLE, most notably during the fight with Omnipotus. It isn't deep reading but it is full of humor and Kirkman's style of over the top violence at the end. Image's website marks the retail at $14.99 but the actual trade I have says $17.99; a printing error that benefits the shops, or is the website wrong? Considering six comics at $2.99 would be $17.94, it is about a nickel overpriced, but I didn't care much. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but I enjoyed it for what it was.

To be honest, I haven't picked it up. If I hear enough good, I'll go for the trade. I just never got into Thor, to be honest.

I never was either, was always more of a Herc fan. But in the last year Herc's destroyed Clor and Thor pwned Tony. I think we have a new winner :D

I need to pick up that trade soon.Read it,but one of those stories you want on your shelf.

I agree. I got Thor: Blood Oath, now I totally need to own the Ares mini :up:

I never was either, was always more of a Herc fan. But in the last year Herc's destroyed Clor and Thor pwned Tony. I think we have a new winner :D

I agree. I got Thor: Blood Oath, now I totally need to own the Ares mini :up:

I recently got Blood Oath,but haven't been able to finish it.I started reading it on a tired long drive from Syracuse to Buffalo,but felt that I needed to start it over.

I recently got Blood Oath,but haven't been able to finish it.I started reading it on a tired long drive from Syracuse to Buffalo,but felt that I needed to start it over.

That's funny. I started reading it while waiting at the last Harry Potter book release and didn't finish for quite a while. I had to start over as well.

Are you from Buffalo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"