Bought/Thought January 28th *spoilers*

"'Sweet Christmas!' That's what black people say, right? Right? Eh, it's a catchphrase. Add it to the list with 'Bright lady!' and ending sentences with 'honey.'"

Once and for all, just so I don't keep having to "prove" that I read Marvel, here's what I'm reading from Marvel:

Avengers Initiative: I'm back on board. It had lost my interest with the Secret Invasion tie-in, but I'm back on board with the current arc.
Captain America: Theoretically, at least, I'm reading this. I have like three back issues I need to read, because my interest dropped right off after The Man Who Bought America ended.

Punisher War Zone: I know it's over, but I still want to say I loved it because I love Garth Ennis doing anything with the Punisher. I hope that what he said in that Marvel Spotlight Punisher issue, that he would eventually come back to the character, was true.

Wolverine: I was reading this, anyway. I was kind of enjoying the Old Man Logan storyline. Not as much as Get Mystique, but it was pretty good. And then I just stopped reading it. I'll have to get back to those issues, which I have waiting for me on a stack of books I need to read.

X-Force: Kiiiiiiiinda tired of the art, but I'm interested to see where this story is headed.

Young X-Men: Another one that I was enjoying, and then just kinda stopped reading, but I still have the issues waiting for me.

Captain Britain: Same story. When I got out of comics for awhile, I kept buying issues because I knew I'd come back pretty soon. Cap B is one I haven't really been reading since those first couple of issues when Blade joined.

Deadpool: Pretty funny. Still preferred Cable-Deadpool.

Cable: I admit that part of the reason I'm reading this is because I'm hoping Bishop turns out to be a Skrull or a Clayface or something. Kind of the same half-reason I was reading the Batgirl miniseries. I just can't stand to see Bishop so mistreated.

Wolverine one-shots: I'm reading them because they're one-and-done and I want to support that kind of storytelling, but they could really stand to have some actual talent on these books. Wolverine's only fun when he's written by an actual writer with skill.

Astonishing X-Men: I'll read anything by Warren Ellis except Freak Angels, which just looks boring.

Dark Avengers: Pretty sure my time as a DA reader will be quite short. The Thunderbolts...with masks! Ooh.

Ghost Rider: Best book Marvel's putting out? Probably.

Mighty Avengers: I officially stopped reading it because Bendis killed it with the SI tie-ins, but it does look a lot better now. Glad I gave it another chance. I am a little bit tired of how frequently the original Avengers story gets invoked in these books, though. JLA doesn't do this more than once every couple years. Is this a frequent occurrence in Avengers books, or just since Bendis took over the franchise?

Uncanny X-Men: I'm an X-Fan. I'm extremely unhappy that they're breaking Emma and Scott up. Just once, I'd like to see something good happen to someone in the MU.

X-Factor: Good solid book.

X-Men Legacy: Kinda waiting on this to turn interesting again.

New Avengers: Bendis better come up with an actual direction for this book real soon, or I'm done.

Wow, I'm such a Marvel-hater, huh?

When has Bendis invoked the original Avengers story? :huh:
Seems like you can't turn around without the first mission being mentioned or remembered by someone, or the time they found Captain America. Seems like that's happened 50 times since Avengers Disassembled.

I haven't noticed it, but I haven't been reading the Bendisvengers. Either way, it's totally more valid when Slott does it, since he's actually resurrecting the spirit of that era rather than just giving it lip-service and writing his own favorite characters in a comic that happens to have "Avengers" in the title.

I haven't noticed it, but I haven't been reading the Bendisvengers. Either way, it's totally more valid when Slott does it, since he's actually resurrecting the spirit of that era rather than just giving it lip-service and writing his own favorite characters in a comic that happens to have "Avengers" in the title.
Is "favorite" really the word for what Bendis thinks of the Sentry? Wouldn't "punching bag that allows him to hate on Superman" be a little more appropriate?

There are exceptions to every rule. I was thinking of Luke Cage and Spider-Woman.

Once and for all, just so I don't keep having to "prove" that I read Marvel, here's what I'm reading from Marvel:

Avengers Initiative: I'm back on board. It had lost my interest with the Secret Invasion tie-in, but I'm back on board with the current arc.
Captain America: Theoretically, at least, I'm reading this. I have like three back issues I need to read, because my interest dropped right off after The Man Who Bought America ended.

Punisher War Zone: I know it's over, but I still want to say I loved it because I love Garth Ennis doing anything with the Punisher. I hope that what he said in that Marvel Spotlight Punisher issue, that he would eventually come back to the character, was true.

Wolverine: I was reading this, anyway. I was kind of enjoying the Old Man Logan storyline. Not as much as Get Mystique, but it was pretty good. And then I just stopped reading it. I'll have to get back to those issues, which I have waiting for me on a stack of books I need to read.

X-Force: Kiiiiiiiinda tired of the art, but I'm interested to see where this story is headed.

Young X-Men: Another one that I was enjoying, and then just kinda stopped reading, but I still have the issues waiting for me.

Captain Britain: Same story. When I got out of comics for awhile, I kept buying issues because I knew I'd come back pretty soon. Cap B is one I haven't really been reading since those first couple of issues when Blade joined.

Deadpool: Pretty funny. Still preferred Cable-Deadpool.

Cable: I admit that part of the reason I'm reading this is because I'm hoping Bishop turns out to be a Skrull or a Clayface or something. Kind of the same half-reason I was reading the Batgirl miniseries. I just can't stand to see Bishop so mistreated.

Wolverine one-shots: I'm reading them because they're one-and-done and I want to support that kind of storytelling, but they could really stand to have some actual talent on these books. Wolverine's only fun when he's written by an actual writer with skill.

Astonishing X-Men: I'll read anything by Warren Ellis except Freak Angels, which just looks boring.

Dark Avengers: Pretty sure my time as a DA reader will be quite short. The Thunderbolts...with masks! Ooh.

Ghost Rider: Best book Marvel's putting out? Probably.

Mighty Avengers: I officially stopped reading it because Bendis killed it with the SI tie-ins, but it does look a lot better now. Glad I gave it another chance. I am a little bit tired of how frequently the original Avengers story gets invoked in these books, though. JLA doesn't do this more than once every couple years. Is this a frequent occurrence in Avengers books, or just since Bendis took over the franchise?

Uncanny X-Men: I'm an X-Fan. I'm extremely unhappy that they're breaking Emma and Scott up. Just once, I'd like to see something good happen to someone in the MU.

X-Factor: Good solid book.

X-Men Legacy: Kinda waiting on this to turn interesting again.

New Avengers: Bendis better come up with an actual direction for this book real soon, or I'm done.

Wow, I'm such a Marvel-hater, huh?

No wonder you hate Marvel, you read a lot of crappy books.

"'Sweet Christmas!' That's what black people say, right? Right? Eh, it's a catchphrase. Add it to the list with 'Bright lady!' and ending sentences with 'honey.'"

Who says Bright lady???

AnimaniacsLewis.jpg

"Bright Laaaaaaaaaady!!!!!"

Oh, I'm definately jumping to conclusions, but most of my bendis predictions are dead on (all of them so far actually). While LC didn't beat him up, it was still a ******** line. He pretty much did that in the issue, sure he pulled out a toy, but honestly he should have never left that room. Norman would have pulled out one gas pumpkin bomb and LC would be out. All I was saying is you can make your character so bad ass and cool they end up being quite the opposite to the point you just hate seeing them. Batman often has that problem. I just don't want to have creators like bendis make me hate characters I used to like.
I don't know man. [BLACKOUT]He only beat Venom and Bullseye and the only reason he did it so easily was that he had that mystical crowbar (lol). And I don't think that Osborn just carries around pumpkin bombs.[/BLACKOUT]

War Machine, Incredible Herc, Skaar Son of Hulk, Daredevil, Captain America, Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy are without a doubt the best Marvel has right now.

Also good, but I'm not sure you'll like these if you don't like Millar or Bendis, New, Mighty, and Dark Avengers, and FF.

War Machine, Incredible Herc, Skaar Son of Hulk, Daredevil, Captain America, Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy are without a doubt the best Marvel has right now.
I will pass on War Machine; I think the only thing I would like about it is the whole "killing the f*** out of these motherf***ers" thing, and Corp says that enough that I don't feel like I need to see Rhodey say it. I'm mulling over a foray into Herc, Nova, and GotG. That would require a further branching out into the MU, with characters I'm unfamiliar with. Like any comic book reader, I fear change and new things.

I just will not read Skaar or anything else by Pak. I think he blows and I refuse to reward him for World War Hulk.

Am reading Captain America. Am not reading Daredevil. Tried to, the character doesn't grab me.

Also good, but I'm not sure you'll like these if you don't like Millar or Bendis, New, Mighty, and Dark Avengers, and FF.
I don't like Millar or Bendis. I'm currently reading all the books with Avengers on the title, but Bendis is testing my patience on DA and NA. I have no desire to read about the Thunderbolts if Warren Ellis isn't writing them, whether they have masks on or not, and I resent them being called Avengers. Plus, Bendis isn't giving me a bad guy I "love to hate" in Osborn. I hate to hate Osborn. I don't want to. I don't even want to read comics after I read some of these early Dark Reign tie-ins.

I don't know man. [BLACKOUT]He only beat Venom and Bullseye and the only reason he did it so easily was that he had that mystical crowbar (lol). And I don't think that Osborn just carries around pumpkin bombs.[/BLACKOUT]

If you're a genius with all the money and resources you want and you're dealing with mr. unbreakable-skin-nothing-can-hurt-me-evah-man and you invented plenty of weapons years ago capable of taking him out, why wouldn't you have a few on hand just in case? But then I'd be asking for bendis to think about characters and not just write Luke Cage does some badass **** for an entire issue.

I'd also like to add the following:

Thor
Sub-Mariner: The Depths
X-Men: Magneto Testament

True, both Sub-Mariner and Magneto are minis one issue from completion. But as someone who was, until recently, pretty much exclusively DC, these are the Marvel titles that have really impressed me, that even I must admit are every bit as good - if not better - than DC's best monthly output.

EDIT: Just read you refuse to read anything by Greg Pak. That's a shame. Magneto Testament is my first exposure to his writing, and I think he's done fine work. Though it's the art by Carmine Di Giandomenico that is the book's true highlight.

Last edited:
The Depths is pretty awesome. Check out Silver Surfer Requiem and Loki as well when you've got the chance. You'll love them.

The Depths is pretty awesome. Check out Silver Surfer Requiem and Loki as well when you've got the chance. You'll love them.

Not read Silver Surfer Requiem, but I did actually buy the Loki TPB as part of my research on the character, upon picking him up in the Marvel RPG. I was totally blown away, a great book.

Not read Silver Surfer Requiem, but I did actually buy the Loki TPB as part of my research on the character, upon picking him up in the Marvel RPG. I was totally blown away, a great book.

Good man, you'll like requiem when you read it. Probably the best SS story I've ever read.

Am not reading Daredevil. Tried to, the character doesn't grab me.
Same thing happened to me. It mystified everyone on here at the time, but I just can't get into Daredevil at all. I've tried various times throughout the Bendis run and once during the Brubaker run, and I either couldn't get into it at all or I read it for a few issues and then lost interest. As it stands, the best 'Daredevil' comic I've read so far has been the Battlin' Jack Murdock mini. :dry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"