• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Bought/Thought - February 25th, 2009 - Spoilers!

I'm here a few days later than the rest of you, but here I am.

As always, my reviews are mirrored at my website with slight edits.

ANGEL #18
Writer: Kelley Armstrong
Penciler: Dave Ross
Publisher: IDW

The fight is over. Los Angeles has been freed from Hell's grasp, and the law firm Wolfram & Hart no longer exists. The events of the past few months have been undone, and all is right with the world. It's time for Angel to gather the old crew, reopen Angel Investigations, and get back to doing what he does best.

Problem is, the people of Los Angeles not only remember their stay in Hell, they remember that Angel is the man who saved him. Now Angel can't walk down the street without getting chased by groupies, and a majority of his cases are false alarms called in by fans who want his autograph or to write his biography. To make matters worse, Angel's old team are unavailable. Spike seems to have wandered off or disappeared; Connor wants to find a regular job to support himself; Gunn needs to "find himself" after becoming a vampire and having said vampirism undone; Lorne is opening a new cafe and (to absolutely no surprise to anyone who watched the final episodes of the TV series) wants no part in Angel's battle against evil. In a surprise twist, Angel is reunited with former LAPD officer Kate Lockley, who ends up being his only ally through this issue. There also appears to be a new enemy brewing, and yet another shadowed organization who haven't yet made their intentions clear.

Angel is technically a continuation of Angel: After the Fall, although the changes are clear across more than just the title. There's a new creative team on this book, and the look and feel is totally different from what Lynch and Urru provided. That turns out to be a good thing, as new author Kelley Armstrong takes the unique new status quo, and somehow makes it feel like an episode from the first two seasons of the old TV series. Dave Ross' art is also a definite upgrade from Franco Urru's, who I was not a fan of. Ross does a good job at making the characters resemble the actors who originally played them, except in the case of Kate, who I did not recognize at all.

If you skipped After the Fall or dropped it due to a lack of interest, you may want to give this particular issue a read. It's the start of an all new story, and new readers won't be any more loss than anyone else.

--------------------

DOCTOR WHO: THE WHISPERING GALLERY
Writer: Leah Moore & John Reppion
Penciler: Ben Templesmith
Publisher: IDW

After publishing two previous Doctor Who miniseries (Agent Provocateur and The Forgotten), IDW is publishing one more original Doctor Who story with the single-issue The Whispering Gallery. Once again, the 10th Doctor and companion Martha Jones are traveling time and space in search for adventure. This time, they've landed on the planet Gratt, inside of an art museum known as the Whispering Gallery. The people of the planet Gratt (known as Grattites) live their lives without showing any emotion. The Doctor compares the showing of emotion on Gratt to dancing naked on a busy street; it's obscene. The gallery, it turns out, is not actual art, but portraits of deceased Grattites with their final thoughts and emotions psychically grafted to the canvass. The Doctor and Martha are wandering the gallery when they notice a portrait of an old Grattite companion the Doctor once had named Grayla. Grayla's final thoughts on her canvass are of how there is no place for emotion on Gratt, which the Doctor finds suspicious since Grayla rebelled against her people by exploring her emotions. It turns out Grayla's untempered emotions awakened a dormant creature on Gratt that feeds off of emotions, and the Grattites' ancestors learned to hide their emotions to keep the creature away. The Doctor and Martha's presence on Gratt awakens the creature again, and it's up to them to find a way to use their emotions to stop it.

This wasn't a particularly exciting issue, but it was heartfelt if it was anything. There was a point where Martha started exploring the gallery and listening to the final thoughts of countless Grattites, and it was beautifully done. We're shown Martha's attitude slowly change, as she first wonders how an entire planet could keep their emotions bottled up, realizes the Grattites aren't so different from humans, and even puts paints two together to respect the untold confessions of love between two people.

If you've ever seen Ben Templesmith's art, you're likely familiar with his blend of realism and stylized graininess. Some people love it, but some hate it. I happen to like it. There are times when the Doctor and Martha look exactly like their respective actors, and others where they look like vaguely detailed cartoon characters. Even when Templesmith goes for the realistic approach to their faces, there's sometimes something slightly off about them; it's as if you're looking at Doctor and Martha lookalikes through a grainy filter. Other times, however, he perfectly captures their faces and emotions, which nicely compliments Moore & Reppion's writing.

--------------------

FANTASTIC 4 #564
Writer: Mark Millar
Penciler: Bryan Hitch
Publisher: Marvel

Month of February be damned, Fantastic 4 is taking a break from the hustle and bustle of saving the world to have a special Christmas issue. This year, Reed is taking the whole family to a small town in Scotland to visit his cousin Hamish's family. Hamish is a minister with a wife and son of his own, with his son being about the same age as Franklin. Ben introduces Hamish to his fiance Not-Alicia (or Debbie, whatever). The Richards and Grimms discover that the quiet town of Iarmailt is pretty much crime free, with an old police officer claiming to have never arrested anyone during his whole career. Of course, this little factoid is more creepy than reassuring when accompanied by a flashback to twenty-five years ago, where a pregnant woman named Rhona tried to run away from a group of men who claim that a "Korgo" wants her baby-- possibly as a sacrifice. The story ends with Franklin and Valeria waking up on Christmas morning to see the new gifts their father has made for them: coats that give them the ability to fly. Reed tells them not to fly past the railway line in town, but Valeria feels brave and flies off on her own, disappearing and worrying Franklin.

The ending scene with Franklin searching for his younger sister made an interesting statement about the characters. Although Val is superhumanly smart and dwarfs her brother's intelligence, Franklin is still noticeably more mature. I suppose it helps that he has more experience with life-threatening situations that arise when he doesn't follow his parents' directions. One thing I found very surprising about this issue was the townspeople's reaction to Ben Grimm. Soon after the Fantastic 4 (& family) arrive in Iarmailt, they encounter an old man who claims to have never heard of them, but isn't the least bit surprised by Ben's appearance. Then again, Millar might have been trying to portray the townspeople as being isolated enough to not immediately recognize the Fantastic 4, but not so far out of the loop that they're not used to strange looking superhumans.

This was a toned down issue if there ever was one, with all of the danger being implied and seeming somewhat minor after Millar & Hitch hyped up the Masters of Doom for the past few issues. If this issue had actually come out in December (a timing issue likely caused by previous art delays), it would feel a little less like a waste of time, and more like a pleasant holiday distraction. It's also obvious in a few places that Hitch rushed his artwork, especially in the last few pages. Overall, this issue wasn't bad, but it felt like a big disappointment, most likely due to its bad timing.

--------------------

THE INCREDIBLE HERCULES #126
Writers: Fred Van Lente & Greg Pak
Pencilers: Rodney Buchemi & Takeshi Miyazawa

It's a special double-sized issue of Incredible Herc this month, featuring two separate stories. The first story is the origin of Hercules, which basically retells the classic ancient Greek tale with snappy dialogue and an instance or two of Herc's patented "things only go his way by coincidence" style of fighting. Hercules' origin is a good thing to get out of the way, especially for readers who aren't familiar with the character. In fact, this issue makes for an excellent prelude for the upcoming issues that will likely deal with Hercules' family. However, for anyone who already has even basic knowledge of Greek mythology and Hercules' origin, this story felt overall worthless, and fun in only a few places.

The second story is one that centers completely around Herc's current sidekick, Amadeus Cho. This part of the issue is drawn by Miyazawa, who uses more of a manga art style that takes looks like scene from an anime when accompanied by Christina Strain's colors. In this story, Amadeus finally begins looking for his long lost coyote puppy, Kirby. Kirby was replaced with a Skrull impostor some time ago, but Amadeus tagged the real Kirby, and has located him in a dessert not too far from Bruce Banner's current secret hideaway. Amadeus seeks Banner's help, as the dessert area Kirby's inhabiting is within guarded military territory. This story displays Amadeus' biggest flaw: He tries to do the right thing, but doesn't care if he has to use other people or mess with the US military to achieve his goals. In fact, he ends up selling out Bruce Banner to the military, forcing him to turn into the Hulk to escape. In the end, Amadeus discovers his rescue attempt was pointless, as Kirby has grown and found a mate in the wild.

--------------------

JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #24
Writers: Geoff Johns & Jerry Ordway
Penciler: Jerry Ordway
Publisher: DC

In a continuation from last month's issue, Billy Batson has just lost his powers and revealed his secret identity to the Justice Society. Black Adam and Isis have taken over the Rock of Eternity. The Justice Society travel with Billy back to the Rock of Eternity to confront Black Adam. They have Atom Smasher in tow, in an attempt to settle this matter peacefully. When they arrive, however, Black Adam warns them to leave shortly before they're attacked by Isis. When Billy and Stargirl get lost in the maze within the Rock of Eternity, they're approached by Billy's sister Mary Marvel, who says that she has joined Black Adam's family, and intend to make Billy like her. Meanwhile, the Flash has gotten lost in the mists outside of the cave, and run into the lost spirit of Billy Batson's father, who needs Flash's help.

Certain things about this issue were more annoying to read than troubling. Mary Marvel, for example, is still evil in this issue. However, at the end of Final Crisis, she was freed from the dark powers that consumed her, and vowed to never use them again. Her appearance as a villain (again) in this issue prompts me to think the writers plotted this story prior to the conclusion of Mary's story in Final Crisis, and then decided to write around that to bring her back as a villain rather than let a bothersome subplot that few people liked in Countdown just die. It was an unnatural, inorganic character progression during Countdown, and it's a forced continuation justified by a single line of dialogue in JSA.

This issue also heavily implied that Isis hasn't simply become cynical after her death, but that she's crossed the line to pure villainy. Her words actually bring a look of shock to Black Adam's face. This upsets me because I was such a huge fan of Isis during 52. Either Johns and Ordway are setting up Isis to be the next big thing in JSA supervillains, or she's simply a pawn in some other villain's plan, which would certainly explain her radically different behavior. However, my issues with Isis' behavior are minor, and could likely be easily overlooked by most readers.

What really brought down my opinion of this issue, other than Mary Marvel's return to senseless villainy, is Ordway's artwork. Ordway has been in the business for a couple of decades, and his art isn't all that bad. However, there's something about the way he draws faces that takes me right out of a story, and right into wondering why Stargirl is saying something tender like "I missed you too" with a look on her face that says "Oh my god, what's that on his face? Just pretend to smile and try not to scream."

--------------------

THE MIGHTY AVENGERS #22
Writer: Dan Slott
Penciler: Khoi Pham

If last month's issue was too confusing, this issue shed just enough light to keep things interesting, while holding enough back to make me want more. The characters themselves were equally confused, as evidenced by their reactions to seeing one another at the beginning of this issue. Their immediate responses were violent. Hercules, Amadeus, and Hulk are technically on the lamb, and USAgent works for the government. Scarlet Witch killed Stature's father. Hulk, who seems to have inexplicably lost the intelligence he showed during Planet Hulk, is lashing out at everyone. The Avengers' disorganization is, of course, a disadvantage. Their foe, Mordred the mad mystic, has taken possession of the magical Book of the Darkhold, and is using it to attain great power and unleash a chaotic god named Chthon upon the Earth. The "chaos wave" that's been ravaging the Earth has actually been the body of Quicksilver, possessed by Chthon and leaving magically-induced disaster in his wake as he runs around the planet.

I'm pretty glad this issue was made, as it was an absolute necessity. I have a feeling I wouldn't be enjoying this book nearly as much if I was still as in the dark now as I was with issue #21. The whole beginning of this story happened out of nowhere, and there were just enough explanations mixed with action to prevent me from getting confused. Now, some would say that a story need not explain itself until it's conclusion, but I say not every story need be a mystery. Yes, it was always fun when Agatha Christie gave us a final chapter full of exposition at the end of every Poirot novel, but the Avengers isn't a whodunit book. Now I'll stop before this turns into a review of another comic I'm thinking of.

To absolutely no surprise, Pham turned in an issue full of spectacular artwork. Though Scarlet Witch is clearly involved in this story, her undefined status is only emphasized by her ability to show up in panels with other characters while appearing to be some sort of apparition or detached being. Of course, given that she's just astral projecting, I suppose she really is detached in more than one way.

--------------------

SHE-HULK #38
Writer: Peter David
Penciler: Steve Scott

She-Hulk has been cancelled. Again.

To wrap things up, Peter David has put together a two-issue storyarc that started with issue #37. Jazinda's true Skrull form has been exposed, and now she's been captured by the US military to run experiments on. She-Hulk at first pretends not to know that Jazinda is a Skrull, insisting that she only knew she was a shape-shifter. The man in charge of the experiments being performed on Jazinda is a real bastard who refers to Jaz as an "it" rather than "she." When he discovers that she has the ability to revive herself from death, he creates a whole new set of experiments involving a stopwatch and a new bullet in Jazinda's head every time she gets up. To rescue Jazinda, She-Hulk calls on the Lady Liberators, and is accompanied by her former boss, Mallory Book attorney at law. Despite Mallory giving She-Hulk the opportunity to revive her legal career, She-Hulk decides to throw it all away by fighting the military to get her best friend back. In the end, Jazinda is set free and on the lamb with She-Hulk, but Mallory insists that everything will be fine once she uses her connections to get them all off.

It's upsetting to see this title go out for many reasons, but the main reason was because of all the potential shown in this final issue. The ending was left open enough for the next revival of this comic to continue the bounty hunter theme, move back to the old lawyer theme, parody The Defiant Ones, or start a Lady Liberators book. In fact, I'd love to see a Lady Liberators book. Peter David shines when he has a diverse set of characters to play around with, and the interactions between She-Hulk, Jazinda, Thundra, Valkyrie, and Invisible Woman are almost always priceless. The upcoming Savage She-Hulk doesn't seem all that interesting, so I'll be counting the days until Marvel relaunches a proper She-Hulk comic. Again.

--------------------

WONDER WOMAN #29
Writer: Gail Simone
Penciler: Aaron Lopresti
Publisher: DC

The current storyline, "Rise of the Olympian," has been a mixed bag. It's a story full of good ideas and so-so execution. I certainly don't mind Diana and Tom's relationship, the destruction of the Department of Metahuman Affairs headquarters, or the fact that Sarge Steel has really been Dr. Psycho this whole time. There are some things I've absolutely loved, like the sight of Diana, Donna, and Cassie going into battle in full armor, and the fact that Wonder Woman's lasso is some sort of psychic weapon that's capable of a lot more than forcing people to tell the truth. However, I'm not a fan of new villain Genocide at all. She's a lot like a poor man's Doomsday, who himself was a crappy excuse for a villain.

I understand that Donna's moment of flipping out and vowing to kill Diana was caused by a psychic explosion from the magic lasso, but what I really really don't want to read from DC right now is yet another story where an iconic superhero's remarkably similar and overall likeable sister or sidekick turns evil for completely stupid reasons. It was stupid when Mary Marvel did it. It was stupid when Batgirl did it. It's stupid now that it's happening to Donna Troy. Stop it, DC! Stop it!

On the plus side, I did enjoy the fight between Zeus and Kane Milohai. When the Greek gods abandoned her (with no signs of ever returning), Diana pledged her loyalty to Polynesian god Kane Milohai. I knew there'd eventually be a fallout, but I had no idea it'd result in lightning to the face, lava falling from the sky, and a god's heart getting ripped out of his chest like in an old kung-fu movie.

Originally Posted by thecorpulent1
Then you, Rock, give me hope for our future.

Just get rid of all the narration boxes and let th art speak for itself and it will be a lot better in my opinion.

Bought:

Green Lantern #38
Captain America #47
Wolverine Weapon X HC
Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes HC

Thoughts later tonight :D

Cap - Guice needs to stay on this title.Great issue,fast paced espionage and superheroics at its finest.I love the direction this book has taken since TDOCA ended.The Buck/Natasha rel'p is written so well.

GL - Looking forward to Blackest Night.This is already feeling much bigger than SC and it hasn't even gotten into full gear yet.As cool as it is seeing all the other factions forming,I cannot wait to see the Black Lanterns rise amidst all this colorful chaos.

Weapon X - Only got thru the first 30 pages or so and I already think this is the greatest Wolverine story ever told.The way he's depicted here is so different than anything else I've read with the character.This doesn't seem like the same Wolvie who spits out one liners and dresses in yellow spandex,and I sure as hell am not complaining.This book deserves all the high praise it gets,can't wait to finish it.

Earth's Mightiest - With all the buzz around the Avengers film franchise,I kind of bought this on a whim.Back in college,I put off buying this for the longest time.Read up to the part where they find Cap.

Hey Dread, just what did the Dark Reign files say about characters like Rulk, Clor, Batrock, and Ezekiel?

They would seem to be perfect characters for Osborn to use in some fashion such as the Avengers and Thunderbolts.

Ezekiel isn't in the DR FILES and I am not sure if Clor, or "Ragnarok" as he wants to be called are in there. The FILES claimed, essentially, that Batroc is a fine if not always successful mercenary who sometimes has annoying conflicts of honor, and that Rulk was a dangerous threat/potential ally type.

I completely missed that Rick Jones is now some monster named A-Bomb? That's the most ridiculous thing ever. Stupid HULK.

Regarding the back story of Heracles there were a couple inaccuracies. One he did not get invulnerability from drinking Hera's milk but it solidified his Godhood. Second, he had not yet done the twelve labours and killed the nemean lion. The comic was referring to the defeat of the Lion of Cithaeron.

I get my Lion's confused. I do agree that it was a good issue of INCREDIBLE HERCULES. Really narrowed down what makes the character important, and it adds an extra layer to Athena in a way now since she played a role in creating Hercules to ensure that the mortals had a champion to protect them from the "monsters". Being a goddess of wisdom, she apparently wants to inspire some in humanity, even if that means a humanity that no longer blindly worships the gods, which was what Hela wanted.

If I am going to list which AVENGERS books I get, they are:

1. AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE
2. MIGHTY AVENGERS

I gave up on NEW AVENGERS after over 40 issues, which I think is more than enough time to determine that I hate Bendis' portrayal of the franchise. I never bothered with DARK AVENGERS, because I am not especially thrilled with the idea of Osborn having a bunch of maniacs pretend to be heroes and the media blindly buying it. I simply can't swallow that situation. The same New Yorkers that cynically distrusted the Fantastic Four many times no matter how many times they saved the Earth are happily forgetting that Osborn has blown up people and even killed a few? Including a NEWSPAPER REPORTER!? Incredible.

I would have dumped MIGHTY AVENGERS if not for Slott. I like the return to old school characterization and larger than life threats. I'd rather 22 pages of battling a powerful demon across the globe than about 15 of sitting around chittering about a TV. I think his cast is interesting, although acknowledge that either Iron Man or Hulk may have to stay to keep sales decent. The biggest problem MIGHTY AVENGERS faces in trying to provide old school Avengers adventure is convincing the fans of the Bendis Era that it still is vitally important to the MU. Both Marvel and DC have trained readers & retailers to only bother with the books that "matter", not the books that are actually good, and thus that is why many titles struggle to remain selling in the midcard level for long.

For anyone else who gets Runaways, is your issue missing a page, too? At first I thought I was just missing something, but there's only 21 pages worth of material in mine. The conversation skips between the Minoru's and zombies.

Ezekiel isn't in the DR FILES and I am not sure if Clor, or "Ragnarok" as he wants to be called are in there. The FILES claimed, essentially, that Batroc is a fine if not always successful mercenary who sometimes has annoying conflicts of honor, and that Rulk was a dangerous threat/potential ally type.

Dammit, I want Clor and Rulk on Dark Avengers so badly :cmad:

I have to admit, I'm not enjoying MA as much as I thought I would. I think part of the reason is that I've never been that into the Wundagore stuff. Or magic. It always feels to me like the solution is going to be too convenient. After I re-read it, I liked it a little better.

Personally, I'm digging all the Avengers titles. So, I'm just pleased as punch that people are actually arguing over which one is the best ( I guess my order would be NA, MA,DA, AI, but I like them all)

I'm surprized at the lack of love for Slott's Mighty Avengers. Granted, it's only been two issues, but I'm enjoying it so far. I don't really know if I'm and old school Avengers fan or not. I started reading Buisek and Perez's run after Heroes Reborn, so you tell me.

Coming from someone who likes Bendis' New Avengers, I love Slott's classic approach. I'm sure this won't win me points with some folks, but I like Spider-Man and Wolverine on the team. They're not Avengers, no. They are Marvel's big cash cows, yes. But I think it's cool to see them working together. Although, I will say I would rather see another writer besides Bendy doing the honors, but, oh well. I like that Slott is using classic charactors and is trying to reinvent Pym and if anyone call save the Scarlet Witch, it's Slott. I don't read Hercules but I like his and Cho's portrayal here. I'm in.

Some don't like the magic aspect, but I think it's a good start. We just saw Ultron, so he's out. And to start out with Kang, I don't know, right out of the gate? I think too much too soon. There is time for Count Nafaria and Gravitron and all those dudes. Slott'll get there. I mean, at least we got a real Avengers villian in the first arc. In 50 issues of Bendis' NA, we got Sauron and Electro, the Hand ninjas, the Hood, Madame Hydra, the Wrecker and Magneto and....anyone else? Seven bad guys in 50 issues? Slott gave a real Avengers villian in his first issue!! Awesome!

Anyway, since we're rating Avengers titles. I'll say
NA
MA
DA
AI, but I only read a few issues.

So I finished Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes.Thoughts:

-This was one hell of a read and a must read for any Marvel fan.Whether you're familiar with the Avengers or not,this is a great story which is pretty much a "mission statement" for the Avengers.

-The hostility between the team throughout the book is quite genuine and never feels so in your face or forced.Casey manages to convey that sense that the wheels can come off at any moment and send their dream crashing down.

-There is barely any action in this and rightfully so.This isn't about the villains or big showdowns.The story focuses on the clashing personalties and how the Avengers were pretty much doomed from the start yet managed to move forward and "keep the dream alive".This isn't drama for the sake of drama,the events that lead up to the breakup and reformation of the team make sense and feel natural.

-Stark is written as the control freak he's always been,Casey does a perfect job of showing him as a man who feels the weight/burden of the world on his shoulders.I liked the idea of him taking a chance on Hawkeye,Wanda and Pietro as a way for making up for his failure with the Hulk.

-Cap's entire journey and thirst for revenge never felt rushed or overdramatic.He really steals the show and has some great quotes throughout the book.Cap as the "inspiration" of the team and heroes everywhere is the idea Casey tries and succeeds at getting across.

-The scenes with Jarvis and Hawkeye were a real surprise.I've never had a real grasp on 616 Hawkeye as a character or his motivations.In just a few pages here,Casey manages to show us why Clint does what he does and what he's after.

-The Pyms,Jarvis and Rick Jones get their time in the spotlight despite the huge cast.Hank and Jan have their problems,but they get through it and have a touching closing to their story arc.Jarvis is a warm and wise presence throughout the book while Rick Jones offers some humor especially in his scenes with Cap.

I can't recommend this book enough.It runs with what Stan and Jack did but takes us behind the scenes and gives us a window into the characters' motivations while staying away from widescreen action and hellbent villains.

In 50 issues of Bendis' NA, we got Sauron and Electro, the Hand ninjas, the Hood, Madame Hydra, the Wrecker and Magneto and....anyone else? Seven bad guys in 50 issues?

Don't forget that we had the Break-out at the beginning, Skrulls, and The Hood's gang! :)

Bought

Avengers: The Initiative #22
The Umbrella Academy: Dallas #4
Incredible Hercules #126
She-Hulk #38
Thunderbolts #129
Fantastic Four #564
War Machine #3
X-Force #12
Nova #22
Captain America #47
Unknown Soldier #5
Wildcats #8
Mighty Avengers #22
Blue Beetle #36
Dr. Doom and the Masters of EVil #2
Conan the Cimmerian #8
Proof #17
Dynamo 5 #20
Astounding Wolf-Man #13
Green Lantern #38
JSA #24

Thought

Herc - Cho's pet gets more booty than he does. [Nelson from Simpsons]Ha Ha![/Nelson from Simpsons]

Umbrella Academy - The last series was the shiznit and this new series continues to be more of the shiznit. It's kinda funny seeing Seance use his powers so much in this mini, as he didn't really do jack in the last one. Even his "saving the day" moment was a bluff.

Mighty Avengers - really, really needs a new artist. Wonder what the deal is with the thing in Jocasta's chest? They had to focus on it for a reason...

Nova - Hadn't seen anything from Divito in a while. Hmmm...someone from the Mighty Avengers editorial team should recruit him.

Unknown Soldier - So the new Unknown Soldier was Jason Bourned/Azraeled by the original Unknown Soldier?!! :wow:

Last edited:
I'm guessing that thing in Jocasta's chest has something to do with Hank and Jan. Like Hank found some super-science way to download Jan's soul and placed it in Jocasta's cybernetic "heart."

Just my thoughts on some of the Dark Reign comics I read this weekend that have been reviewed quite a bit on here:

New Avengers #50: Sometimes Bendis' strength is also his greatest weakness. In the end, this issue was a bunch of talk that lead to a senseless battle; basically, a lot of hype with very little payoff. I guess it's only fitting that this 50th anniversary issue would be more like what's come before than jetting out in an exciting new direction.

5/10

Mighty Avengers #22: This was a good issue; but, not a great issue. From Slott, I guess I expect near-greatness, and that may be why I was a bit disappointed. Still, if you take away the knowledge this is Slott, it gives the reader lots of action, builds on the storyline, and brings this new team together. (BTW, what's up with the one panel of Jarvis walking in on Hank and Jocosta??!!?? They sure made that look like Hank's banging away on her.)

7/10

Avengers The Initiative: Good issue! I like this series, and love that they are showing what happens to Clone Thor after the events in Civil War. A lot of times when a title switches writers, the results are disasterous (see Claremont taking over on Exiles). Other times, the new writer blends well with what's come before (Brubaker on Daredevil). This works well, and the transition has gone very smoothly.

8/10

War Machine #3: I'm just expecting this title will be cancelled around issue #12. War Machine just isn't the type of character who generates the kind of interest in his own series; and, Pak isn't doing anything with it to make me change my mind.

6/10

Wolverine Origins #33: An entire issue that pretty much is a conversation between Nick Fury and Wolverine, rehashing his past and giving the reader new clues into Logan's past that will directly involve the next storyline. It works and has me interested in the next issue. It's really nice that the two Wolverine titles have gotten so much better of late.

8/10

Thunderbolts #129: This is a pretty good issue; definitely the best of this Dark Reign bunch. I love how well Norman planned out this attack of Air Force One; and, it does a great job of showing the deviousness of his character and the lengths he'll go to achieving success. I've never heard of Andy Diggle before; but, I love his writing thus far. I can't wait for the next issue.

9/10

Haha, I think the Jarvis scene was just to highlight how awkward and creepy the relationship between Hank and Jocasta appears to others.

Avengers The Initiative: Good issue! I like this series, and love that they are showing what happens to Clone Thor after the events in Civil War. A lot of times when a title switches writers, the results are disasterous (see Claremont taking over on Exiles). Other times, the new writer blends well with what's come before (Brubaker on Daredevil). This works well, and the transition has gone very smoothly.

This book doesn't have a new writer, though. Gage has been co-writing it with Slott since it was in single digits.

Haha the Jarvis scene was awesome.

Actually made me laugh out loud on the train.

Busy day at work; so, I only got to read a couple comics.

Captain America #47: As usual, Brubaker is superb! I will say, I figure it's just me, I love seeing Bucky as the Winter Soldier. When he's dressed up as Cap, it does nothing for me. And, this issue was so much better for that fact. Anyhow, love the pacing of this issue, and the ending had me wanting more. This is how Namor is suppose to look, not like how we saw him in that Dark Reign special.

9/10

Ghost Rider-Danny Ketch #5: A decent ending for a tale that lets us know how Danny became the Ghost Rider again, and the whys and hows of his current appearance in the main Ghost Rider series. Sadly, I can give a rat's pattottie about Danny; so, in the end, this series was only "meh" for me.

7/10

I'm not surprised that Slott's MIGHTY AVENGERS start has some under some fire; it's been about 4-5 years since we've seen this take on writing the Avengers, no? I mean to be fair, when Bendis launched MA about two years ago, the intention was for it to be more "Avengers-ish" than NEW AVENGERS was, and to a degree, it was; Mole Man and Ultron showed up within the first arc, and it usually had more daylight heroics. It still had Bendis' style and for half a year was his SECRET INVASION CHRONICLES alongside NA. Slott is trying to channel that Busiek era stuff (which had many magical threats to it) and it has been a long time since readers have seen that.

While Chthon and Mordred may not be everyone's favorite villains, they are villains with ties to the Avengers' past, especially the past of the Maximoff twins, both of whom appear in this issue. Scarlet Witch needs some HEAVY restoration attempts to go from "plot convenient reality warping psycho" to some shift back to the heroine she was for much of her published history, and what better way than to do a sequel to an old story? Magic usually takes Iron Man out of his element as well (how many times have we had to read Iron Man grumbling, "I hate magic" within the last 5 years, or even two?).

I appreciate this take on the team, taking them back to their roots and seeking to redeem some characters who have been tarnished during the Bendis era, like Pym or Wanda. Besides, it isn't as if this arc is going to be 6 issues; only 3 (even if the first issue was almost two issues long).

I am curious what is in Jocasta's chest, but I expect it to be revealed in time. Pym's relationship with her is intentionally weird, which seems to be Slott's angle for Pym. He wants him competent but a bit weird; from dressing as Wasp to his demeanor around a robot with her brain patterns. It works in comic book terms but other character's reactions to it of course sell the idea of weirdness.

I will say that sales may depend on either Hulk or Iron Man remaining. Technically Leob's HULK is selling much better than Fraction's INVINCIBLE IRON MAN, and the relaunch of the WAR MACHINE spin-off is hardly lighting the Top 100 on fire, either. Iron Man would sort of work better on the team, though, and allow Pym to try to get over his esteem issues facing Stark.

I too, thought the Jarvis scene was great, and I like Corp's theory about Jan's soul in Jocasta's chest-thing.

I see Iron Man having a better chance of staying, or even rejoining the team.

With Hulk mysteriously back to childlike intelligence, how can he stay on the team? There's no way. Besides, I'd rather Stark stay and redeem himself, or at least try to, among his peers. I'm sure he'll have to split for awhile because he's on the run from Osborn, but Tony needs the Avengers. Especially now.

To be fair, the Defenders managed to keep Childlike Hulk involved in their adventures off and on for well over a decade or two. Granted, that often took magic and coincidence. I agree that Iron Man has the better chance of staying. Thor would be cool, too, to add to the roster at time point. Every Avengers team needs at least one A-Lister on the roster and either Iron Man, Hulk, or Thor at this point serve that role.

I still am amazed She-Hulk is nowhere in sight, considering this is Dan Slott here. ;)

Yeah, I would think Slott would be on that with a quickness.

Maybe she'll show up after Hulk leaves. Honestly, I would rather her be on NA with Carol, but we all know she won't be around much longer anyway. but She Hulk on ANY Avengers team would be great.

As someone who's been a fan of Bendis' avengers since the beginning, im more than willing to jump onboard to slott's MA. The roster and the concept are all top notch but the thing thats bothering me is the execution. Its too "80's-like" for my taste, the dialogue, the narration boxes and the art is....eh not so impressive. If he could...i dunno "update" those three things, then this book would be the better than bendis' NA by far.

As someone who's been a fan of Bendis' avengers since the beginning, im more than willing to jump onboard to slott's MA. The roster and the concept are all top notch but the thing thats bothering me is the execution. Its too "80's-like" for my taste, the dialogue, the narration boxes and the art is....eh not so impressive. If he could...i dunno "update" those three things, then this book would be the better than bendis' NA by far.

Update how? As in more like Bendis?

For God's sake no. Avengers fans have had to sit through 50 issues of the "updated" Avengers.

If you don't like narration boxes or dialogue that doesn't sound like an episode of Seinfeld, then that's fine. But what's wrong with Khoi Pham's art?

No no lol. What i mean is like, well first off get rid of the narration boxes, let the art speak for itself, i dont need to read a narration of whats going on in the panel. I also dont think pham is the best artist to launch this series either. Look at Deodato over at DA, THATS how you launch a series, get an artist that has that dramatic punch, afterwards they could get Pham to do the rest. I dunno, i mean these are just my opinions, i know that some people like the "classic" look, but if Slott's trying to bring on new fans and compete with Bendis then i think he'd need to do these things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"