BOUGHT/THOUGHT for Aug. 2th, 2006. SPOILERS WITHIN!!

what was up with Spider-women shooting web from her fingertips?

supermarvelman said:

Because it would've been gross if she shot them out of her butt...and way too kinky if she shot them out of her nipples.:O

The All-New Atom #2
So far, still so good. Simone is taking a pretty direct, pretty straightforward approach to writing a first arc for this new character, which was just what he needed. Tiny aliens are invading Earth, rookie hero needs to step up and do what it takes, that sort of thing. I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep picking up the title after this first arc, but again...so far so good.

At first we're led to believe that Ray Palmer was the one who orchestrated Ryan coming to America and becoming the Atom, but now it looks like that was just a ruse. I suspect that we'll still see Ray at some point in this title though, sooner or later.

Loved Ryan's reaction to American Chinese food. I mean, come on!

(8 out of 10)

52 Week 12
Good gravy, Nauck draws a disturbing Sue doll.

I think I've gotten a bit tired of people going insane all the time. I wasn't crazy (LOLAOLAODFL!!!) in the first place about the idea of Ralph all of a sudden losing it over Sue after he seemed to be doing so well at the end of Identity Crisis, and having him act the way he did with the Sue doll at the end of this issue...I don't know. I just can't see this story going anywhere that we haven't already gone with any number of characters before. The DC staff tells us that Ralph will be heading into the realms of magic in this storyline...I guess we'll see how that ends up.

On the other hand, I loved the dialogue between Ralph, Ollie, Hal, Zauriel, and Rex in this issue; everyone was deeply in-character and reacted exactly the way they would have.

The other story between Black Adam and Isis seems to be progressing pretty nicely too.

(8 out of 10)

Fallen Angel #6 &7
The best series that no one is reading.

I thought that this series was losing its steam a little after it moved from DC to IDW; a lot of the gritty, deadpan humor and asskickingness seemed to have been lost in the transition. These two issues, however, regain most of not all of that je ne sais quoi that made the prior series so damned fun to read.

Sure, there was a lot of theological discussion as per usual and the requisite Lee being all kinds of Livejournal emo...but moreso than that, there was serious asskicking. Not just your everyday asskicking but eyes-flashing, getting-medieval-on-y'all kinds of asskicking. And if there's any title that desperately needed a dose of that, it was this. Pretty art, great characterizations, and insight into the origin of Liandra...a great two-issue arc.

(9.8 out of 10)

I have one question, What costume did they put dane in, and do they have him using the ebony blade or the sword of light?
Thanks

Many people are saying that the new Uncanny was just filler, but I don't see it that way. The actual term "Filler" is for an episode that is padded out that serves no purpose to the overall arc.

That is far from what it did, it served an important purpose. It allowed readers to know what Vulcan's backstory is, and what his overall mission and motive were. It let us know the character and what drives him.

It was especially important for readers who didn't read Deadly Genesis. I think for once we will actually feel for the villain, something they haven't effectively done in years.:up: :)

I
The Jester said:
anyone buy the new Friendly neighborhood Spider-man? It's the start of the new mysterio arc
I picked it up. Mysterio is one of my FAV spidey villians along with Doc Ock, Electro, Shocker, Prowler, & Sandman.

supermarvelman said:
She's probably a clone of Peter mixed up with the Venom/Carnage suit genetic thingy. Considering how whiney she was, she had brown hair, it's a clone arc, and she seemed to have more than casual knowledge of MJ, it's probably true.

Doc Destruction said:
No costume yet, and he has the black blade.

Yep typical marvel, just ignore about 5 years of continuum and erase everything that Ostrander did to move the charater forward in on fast move.

Oh well... Oh by its the Ebony Blade. :)

Darthphere's reviewarama for August 2th (heh) 2006

Moon Knight #4-Got to say, I love this ****ing title. Issue #4 while not the best issue to date kept everything moving. The first half was a little all over the place but really, the stage is set and the return of Moon Knight to the Marvel universe is upon us. The Profiler is an insanely cool character. I really hope he sticks around and gets some other uses in other titles. Next issue is going to be awesome
Marc Spector vs. Taskmaster
WIll Khonshu come to his aid? 9/10.

52 Week #13-Mostly a Ralph issue where we find out more about the cult. Ralph calls in the cavalry but for all the wrong reasons and one of the scariest things ive ever seen. Nauck was good in this issue and left the overly cartoony art at the door. I think this issue really couldve been Ralph's wake up call, but for some reason they revert back to the patheticness of the first couple of issues and take it overboard. Did the Cult succesfully bring back Sue, or has Ralph finally lost it, looks like we'll have to wait and see. 7.5/10

Detective Comics #822Paul Dini is rocking this title. Another stand alone issue (remember Dini says they might not be as stand alone as you think) involving the murder of Bruce Wayne's "friend" and The Riddler, now refromed comes to his aid. Twists and turns abound, its great that we get to see Batman live up to the Worlds Greatest Detective title. Kramer's art was at his best but I think we can all agree that JHWIII is missed. Wont compare to Morrison's Batman since they both have different agendas but its great to see a beginning, middle and end in one issue, stand alones rock. 10/10

Ex Machina #22-Vaughan is on fire on this title (pun intended, really). As of course our favorite NYC mayor has to deal with the apparent suicide by the flame of a woman on the steps of City Hall. On top of that, the media begins to hound him on is stance on marijuana use (remember what Clinton said, he didnt inhale). And on top of that, Deputy Mayor Todd's gay brother shows up with some disconcerting news. A black man is robbing people disgused as a fireman, hes not under suspicion but his alibi could oput him in hot water. Tony Harris apparently has changed his art style, and it looks better than ever. 10/10.

Jonah Hex#10 As I said, I love stand alones, and Jonah hex always delivers. Im still missing Luke Ross on art but his replacements have been sufficient enough for me not to complain too much. This story sees Jonah down in the swamps to avenge the murder and kidnapping of a black family to a sicko family with pet alligators. Crazy stuff ensues, Jonah kicks ass. SOlid storytelling, you cant ask for much more. 9/10.

Now...for Darthphere's late reviews.....YAY!

She-Hulk #9-I love this comic, and I love Dan Slott and no, im not under the influence of Starfox. Seems Pug has been doing some digging and has uncovered evidence that Jen is under the influence of Starfox and doesnt really love John Jameson. Too late, as the wedding of the last week or so (sorry BP) takes place. Elvis marries Jen and John in Vegas and one man is uberly pissed, JJ Jameson. After an awkward reveal by Pug to Ditto dressed as Jen and a normal family dinner, I cant wait to see where this is heading. 8/10.

X-Factor #9-PAD, I love thee, you write so beautifully. X-factor is eaisly in my top 5 comics, overall. This issue doesnt disappoint. Quicksilver is back, up to no good, or not depending on your view. Jamie takes a stance in the SHRA debate, and The Astonishing X-Men aka Scott Summers gets verbally ***** slapped by X-Factor. We also find out Jamie and Layla are destined to be man and wife, yuck. Honestly, its great to see PAD pick up Layla "Deus Ex machina" Miller and make her relevant and freaking likeable. If youre not buying X-Factor, youse a fool. 10/10.

Checkmate #4-Checkmate, DC's best title being published today. Yes, I said it. If you wouldve told me a couple of months back that I would love a title about UN resolutions and politics, I would say youre crazy. Apparently, I am, because I love this title. #4 doesnt falter as the politics and intrigue continue as China's secrets are slowly being uncovered. Alan Scott hands Waller her ass, and she hands back at the ending. And the Great 10 are actually pretty cool in this issue. Can't wait for the next issue as I have a feeling a certain ex-ward is showing up. 10/10.

Superman/Batman #28 LOL! A fairly normal issue by S/B standards as Verheiden and Van Sciver do a pretty good job playing it straight. It seems something is wrong in the DCu as villains once forgotten start showing up and Superman and Batman find the cause. A personal fan of Loeb's run (one of few) I liked the return to some normalcy and im looking forward to see what transpires in this run. 8/10,

Completely agree with everything darth said about Detective Comics. This is the best batman I've read in ages, nice to see it acknowledges current going ons with the riddler and bats id also.

I will compare it to morrisons though. So far dini is kicking morrisons butt.

Stand alone stories do rock.

gildea said:
Completely agree with everything darth said about Detective Comics. This is the best batman I've read in ages, nice to see it acknowledges current going ons with the riddler and bats id also.

I will compare it to morrisons though. So far dini is kicking morrisons butt.

Stand alone stories do rock.

You know when Gildea and I agree on the awesomeness of a title, its worth checking out.

My opening post, with my reviews for 52 #13, FANTASTIC FOUR #539, MARVEL TEAM-UP #23, MOON KNIGHT #4, AGENTS OF ATLAS #1 and ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #98 have been restored.

Now, to add, a late entry as I missed a book until today:

DETECTIVE #822: Paul Dini's run on DETECTIVE is only two issues in, and already I think he's the best writer on the book in years. While Morrison is probably getting more hoopla because he's the bigger comic book writer (Dini's been a TV man for years) and because BATMAN is Andy Kubert's first work on DC since leaving Marvel with his bro, Dini's run has quietly been hitting home runs. And while Morrison seems intent on writing a fair generic Batman story that hoped to "infuse" some wackyness with a bastard son and "Ninja Men-Bats", Dini's doing what the title suggests; writing Batman as a detective. These are also one-shot stories where within one issue, you have a beginning, a middle, and an end; a lost art in comics these days. Great jumping on points for new readers, it also allows Dini to recapture some of the magic and quality of his days writing for BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES while being able to write more "adult" stories that don't have to adhere to BS&P or networks. I'm of the camp that I actually LIKE Kramer's art in the title, as the previous artist was great for drawing Batman but civilian characters looked sketchy and bland. When I read the solict for this story, with Riddler seeming on the side of angels, I was curious as to whether Dini could keep from repeating the B:TAS episode "RIDDLER'S REFORM", which he co-wrote and has a simular plotline (Riddler seemingly reforms and cashes in on his celeb status, only for it all to be another ploy). I must say Dini keeps from repeating himself. Riddler's hired as a detective to solve a murder, and trades barbs with Batman when he investigates, but naturally the Dark Knight ends up saving the day (which embitters Riddler). I won't give away details but its an efficient mystery that's not as dark and gorey as a lot of the fare on CSI (where the murders seem to get gorier as they run low on ideas), but far above Saturday morning fare. Dini's really the better writer between he and Morrison when it comes to Batman, and while Morrison's run has left many cold with its first issue, Dini's DETECTIVE is a breath of fresh air.

Dini also brings another creation of the cartoons, Roxy Rocket (famous for her episode, "THE ULTIMATE THRILL", where she pushed the boundaries for innuendo by all but moaning in sexual pleasure while sitting with Batman atop a large phallic object) into the DC mainstream. I hadn't recalled seeing her in the comics before now.

Dread said:
My opening post, with my reviews for 52 #13, FANTASTIC FOUR #539, MARVEL TEAM-UP #23, MOON KNIGHT #4, AGENTS OF ATLAS #1 and ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #98 have been restored.

Now, to add, a late entry as I missed a book until today:

DETECTIVE #822: Paul Dini's run on DETECTIVE is only two issues in, and already I think he's the best writer on the book in years. While Morrison is probably getting more hoopla because he's the bigger comic book writer (Dini's been a TV man for years) and because BATMAN is Andy Kubert's first work on DC since leaving Marvel with his bro, Dini's run has quietly been hitting home runs. And while Morrison seems intent on writing a fair generic Batman story that hoped to "infuse" some wackyness with a bastard son and "Ninja Men-Bats", Dini's doing what the title suggests; writing Batman as a detective. These are also one-shot stories where within one issue, you have a beginning, a middle, and an end; a lost art in comics these days. Great jumping on points for new readers, it also allows Dini to recapture some of the magic and quality of his days writing for BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES while being able to write more "adult" stories that don't have to adhere to BS&P or networks. I'm of the camp that I actually LIKE Kramer's art in the title, as the previous artist was great for drawing Batman but civilian characters looked sketchy and bland. When I read the solict for this story, with Riddler seeming on the side of angels, I was curious as to whether Dini could keep from repeating the B:TAS episode "RIDDLER'S REFORM", which he co-wrote and has a simular plotline (Riddler seemingly reforms and cashes in on his celeb status, only for it all to be another ploy). I must say Dini keeps from repeating himself. Riddler's hired as a detective to solve a murder, and trades barbs with Batman when he investigates, but naturally the Dark Knight ends up saving the day (which embitters Riddler). I won't give away details but its an efficient mystery that's not as dark and gorey as a lot of the fare on CSI (where the murders seem to get gorier as they run low on ideas), but far above Saturday morning fare. Dini's really the better writer between he and Morrison when it comes to Batman, and while Morrison's run has left many cold with its first issue, Dini's DETECTIVE is a breath of fresh air.

Dini also brings another creation of the cartoons, Roxy Rocket (famous for her episode, "THE ULTIMATE THRILL", where she pushed the boundaries for innuendo by all but moaning in sexual pleasure while sitting with Batman atop a large phallic object) into the DC mainstream. I hadn't recalled seeing her in the comics before now.

:up: :up: :up: :up:

Had to upstage me.:(

BlackKnight1 said:
Yep typical marvel, just ignore about 5 years of continuum and erase everything that Ostrander did to move the charater forward in on fast move.

Oh well... Oh by its the Ebony Blade. :)

I know, I was using short hand :)

I LOVE Black Knight...I really hope he joins Excalibur. That would be great.

Darthphere said:
:up: :up: :up: :up:

Had to upstage me.:(
Didn't mean to.

A shame that Ostrander's H4H seems to constantly get omitted. I actually liked it. It was one of the few fun superhero books after the Onslaught crap.

And to add, Bendis proves how mature he is in USM #98 by devoting an entire page's conversation to urine. Considering a few burp jokes from ULTIMATE AVENGERS made fanboy critics scream, I figured I'd point this out. Who needs Kevin Smith for this kind of thing anymore? ;)

Dread said:
Didn't mean to.

A shame that Ostrander's H4H seems to constantly get omitted. I actually liked it. It was one of the few fun superhero books after the Onslaught crap.

And to add, Bendis proves how mature he is in USM #98 by devoting an entire page's conversation to urine. Considering a few burp jokes from ULTIMATE AVENGERS made fanboy critics scream, I figured I'd point this out. Who needs Kevin Smith for this kind of thing anymore? ;)

Is that for real? Damn.

Darthphere said:
Is that for real? Damn.
Which part? Yeah, in USM #98, Reed serves Johnny water he claimed he converted from urine, and the rest go on about how gross it is, including Sue.

Now, look, back in 2nd grade, some of us used to joke about scenerios like this, and it was funny as all hell. Much like saying a curse in a whisper in the Boy's Room made you a "class clown". But if you get older, it just seems tedious. 616 Reed is pondering things from other dimensions, both Ellis and Millar (yes, crude "meatball" Millar) have Reed usually muddle over more complex stuff, and Bendis goes with the high road; pee jokes. Go man, go. :rolleyes:

Dread said:
Which part? Yeah, in USM #98, Reed serves Johnny water he claimed he converted from urine, and the rest go on about how gross it is, including Sue.

Now, look, back in 2nd grade, some of us used to joke about scenerios like this, and it was funny as all hell. Much like saying a curse in a whisper in the Boy's Room made you a "class clown". But if you get older, it just seems tedious.

How many pages did this go on?

Just one. That's why it was getting a small mention. I was more disturbed by the fact that USM continues to have a predictable logic that ensures you'll always be correct if you assume things like "Spidey will get unmasked" or "any female in a costume will kick his butt with ease".

I love done in one stories. Last two issues of Detective have been ever so enjoyable.:)

*wow I cant spell

Y The Last Man was not good this week. It seemed rushed and like they took out pages so they could show off the new series Deadman thats coming out. Brian gave a small back round on the Israeli rambo chick and it didn't deliver. It didn't give her character anymore depth like the last one did for Dr. Mann and the one for 355 did. She's still a 2D character and that sucks. I was hoping it woulda made me like her a little, but I still hate her character.

Mouse Guard rocked.:up: It was pretty much just a set up issue. I really don't know how they're gonna wrap this up in just 2 more issues. This is probably my favorite indie book right now.

Dread said:
DETECTIVE #822: Paul Dini's run on DETECTIVE is only two issues in, and already I think he's the best writer on the book in years.

Totally agree.:up::D

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"