Bought/Thought Dec 26th (Spoilers within)

Jesus Photo, you're already at 20,000 posts? My god.

:up: I guess?

Last time I saw your profile/whatever it was at 15,000.

Oh. Yeah, I have a little bit of free time here at work. Wait, what are you doing keeping track of my posts, anyway?

Because I'm obsessing over you and want to have ravishing intercourse while btching about BND??

:huh:

Yeah I dunno either.
I'm spamming. I like Matt Fraction. He's like cool and stuff.

Yeah, uh...Fraction's cool. Um...you know what? I think I'm just going to leave this thread for a bit. I'll uh...I'll call you, okay?

I still think this section of the Hype needs its own chat thread. Most of the people who post here are pretty awesome.

The chat threads in the community suck donkey anus. Ugh.

Don't worry, I've officially gotten bored with arguing with BrianWilly, especially since we're not really arguing over any sort of interesting point, just which one of us is the bigger hypocrite jerk. Right now I believe we hit an understanding; we each think the other is a hypocrite jerk. That's perfectly fine by me. Let's got on to comic musin's.

Was I really the only one who bought INVINCIBLE PRESENTS: ATOM EVE #1?

I guess that would spell out why Piotr leaves the X-Men for the Defenders.

Indeed. This did come up in the TLD topic (which is on Page 2 or 3 by now), and extra rumors add to that fire. It still seems like a waste to sacrifice a character like Kitty Pryde for such a boring and useless race of aliens like the Breakworlders. I mean, had they been created in 1984, they'd be swell. But in 2006 or so, they are simply a rehash of the Z'Nox, which is silly considering the Z'Nox are still about. X-Men and aliens is old hat, even in 2004. But, whatever. For all we know she doesn't exactly "die", but may have to stay or something.

It would. I still don't think there's technically an X-Men to leave after MC, though. I think the X-Men comics for the 6 months or so after MC will be about picking up the pieces from MC's ultimate fallout and forging a new team.

That means, if all this is true, Colossus would be even more of a morose and glum mother than he usually is. Joy. :p

Well, all we know right now is that Wolverine just carved him up. That's pretty much it.

I think during the 90's, Gambit got a healing factor, which was passed around to pretty much every wanna-be cool character back then. Bullseye stabbed him in the heart and he healed that up. He'll walk it off, and probably still refuse to shave to wear that 90's "non-mask" thing.

My reasoning?

1) The man took the time to come here and ask us.

2) I love his past work.

Is that unreasonable? At this point Spider-Man continuity is up in the air. None of us have any idea where it's going to land. Dan has 3 issues to hook me.

I think that's fair.

Yeah, that is fair. But at the same time, while I have admittedly gotten defensive towards others for bashing Slott, I can understand where it comes from, this need to punish Marvel for OMD, for yet another blunder for Spider-Man, a blunder that is the biggest in a decade, and to hell with what writer gets trampled in the mix. Rationally speaking, I highly doubt BND will see much if any sales plunge, and even if it does, Joe Q & Marvel will not reverse course; they will simply boot Slott and put in some other writer with more of a "name". That will hardly help things.

It ISN'T as simple as analogies make it seem. But how about this one.

Imagine that a movie franchise that has endured for generations, JAMES BOND, for instance, has suddenly hit a skid. They hired some lukewarm actors, they had a ridiculously stupid plot, they retconned stuff, and so on. They had a "burn bridges" approach to everything because they didn't like being mocked by AUSTIN POWERS for ten years for the pre-90's stuff (such as, say, Bond wakes up and realizes all the past films were a dream during his drug-induced coma from Oddjob or something). It is universally trashed critically, and while it does see a profit, it is lower than the last 2-3 Bond films.

The next film is stuck with this rewashed continuity, a "clean slate" that leaves things worse than they were. But there is a new director, new writers, new actors, and so forth. The new director/writers/actors all have a solid record behind them, and the director especially has done some classy spy films that weren't Bond to rave reviews and much success; in fact this move all but seems like a no-brainer.

Would you see this new Bond? Even if it meant having to revisit the last sucky one to get the ball moving? Or would you boycott United Artist's ageless spy forevermore?

It isn't an easy choice, especially if you are passionate. I for one have had to live through a lot of bad **** with Spider-Man. He was the character that got me into comics in the first place. He was my childhood hero, and it gets annoying to say the least when you watch your childhood hero fail you again, and again, and again. But maybe not him; the writers/editors/publishers behind him, with these terrible ideas and "solutions" that create more problems.

Slott is the FIRST writer to get on ASM. He will have to be the one who chooses, now that this is Post-Crisis Spidey, what stays and what goes, beyond what OMD #4 did. He could choose to keep the teacher gig, the Avengers stuff, so on. He is the first set of hands trying to fix the mangled clay statue.

Still...if I waited for the trade, at least, that could be a compromise for me. We'll see in less than a fortnight.

Damn I missed PJ going head to head with Dan Slott :down

It is a few pages back.

I did notice a pretty significant difference between Bellegarde's art from the main story to the 2 page back up. That was weird. I like the 2 page back up style better, I think.

I bought it as well. Waiting for it to come in. Really looking forward to it, hopefully they do more for different characters.

Allen the Alien.:up:

I like how with Atom Eve, he didn't try to shift some of the original origin. I also liked how her "father" kept visiting.

Still...if I waited for the trade, at least, that could be a compromise for me. We'll see in less than a fortnight.

I'm willing to bet you buy it off the shelf. Not trying to goad you, but it just seems that way.

I did notice a pretty significant difference between Bellegarde's art from the main story to the 2 page back up. That was weird. I like the 2 page back up style better, I think.

It was weird.

I bought it as well. Waiting for it to come in. Really looking forward to it, hopefully they do more for different characters.

Allen the Alien.:up:

Allen the Alien would be a no-brainer, although he is mixed into the main Viltrumite plot in the core title at the moment. We'll see how it goes.

I like how with Atom Eve, he didn't try to shift some of the original origin. I also liked how her "father" kept visiting.

I liked how she at least started out with some sort of mask.

I'm willing to bet you buy it off the shelf. Not trying to goad you, but it just seems that way.

*Sigh*, I know. :o The odds of me buying it on the shelf are about 80%, with the other 20% being trade-waiting.

I don't see whats so hard about it. If Slott contributed to OMD, he contributed to a terrible, terrible, terrible story. If BND or whatever is a continuation of it... I won't be buying it.

Spidey had YEARS of continuity and character development before the recent skid, and to retcon it all is stupid. I respect Joey Q, but to erase years of good character development because YOU have misgivings about a marriage is dumb. OMD was a terrible idea and I'm not support its continuation regardless if a writer I like is on it, especially if he contributed to that terrible idea in the first place.

That's not to say that I won't buy other Slott or Brubaker books. I know they are capable writers, but all I know is that I'm not touching Spidey for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"