Bought/Thought for July 21st, 2010 - SPOILERS

Haha, weird, you go trolling for new comics that you expect to fail?

When I budget my money regarding comicbooks I have to do so to the dollar. When I budget, I separate minis and ongoings. I currently am maxed out on the amount of ongoings that I can buy, but I can fit in another mini if it really interests me. Young Allies is an ongoing and if I wanted it I'd have to drop another title to make room for it and I didn't want to do that. But with how poorly it's selling it'll likely only make it to issue 5 or 6, so it'll be about the size of a mini. That I can manage to buy because it's not indefinate, it's only for a few months and will then end.

Get it now?

Wow... that's ^&%$&^$ed up... though I'm glad it works for you... :o

When I budget my money regarding comicbooks I have to do so to the dollar. When I budget, I separate minis and ongoings. I currently am maxed out on the amount of ongoings that I can buy, but I can fit in another mini if it really interests me. Young Allies is an ongoing and if I wanted it I'd have to drop another title to make room for it and I didn't want to do that. But with how poorly it's selling it'll likely only make it to issue 5 or 6, so it'll be about the size of a mini. That I can manage to buy because it's not indefinate, it's only for a few months and will then end.

Get it now?
I got it originally, I just thought it was kind of funny how it works out, in the end, that you're basically trolling for failing series. Sucks that you have to budget it so closely, though. I've been there and it's a real pain.

Another solid week!

TIME MASTERS: VANISHING POINT # 1 : I'm very much enjoying the Return of Bruce Wayne and I LOVE Jurgens' Booster Gold run so this was pretty much a must buy for me. I really liked this and how Rip Hunter basically owns Superman and Green Lantern through the issue, haha. Great stuff. I actually liked that this is going to be more about Rip Hunter than anything else. I have been waiting for something like this since the reveal in his Booster Gold run that Rip Hunter is [BLACKOUT]Booster Gold's son[/BLACKOUT]. This was a pretty interesting start and can't wait to see where things go. However, if you picked this up and you had never read Jurgens' Booster Gold run you may be lost on certain aspects of the story. Other than that...Jurgens makes the awesome.

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN # 638 - I'm a fan of the single Spider-Man so, quite honestly, this isn't going to bother me like it is the "pro-marriage" guys. I liked the issue. Right off the bat we find out what MJ whispered to Mephisto, however, I don't think it really was something that was worth all this wait, haha. I liked the parts where they put in the actual issue of Annual # 21 and then elaborated on it through Rivera's artwork, which was the main highlight of the book to me. Quesada's artwork seemed like it was rushed and wished he stuck with just writing because I've seen him do much better. The story inserted with Electro's henchman was a very nice touch, in my opinion. We got an answer about the whisper and Quesada, in my opinion, did a nice job with the continuity so far. I had very low expectations when it came to the issue and Quesada's part in it. So, maybe that's why I enjoyed it. It was a solid issue and, so far, it's giving me what I want. However, Grim Hunt was way better and if the rest of OMIT can keep the feel of the first issue I see myself having no problems with it. Interested to see what else will get answered in the following issues.

And my book of the week...

THE WALKING DEAD # 75 - How much more awesome can this storyline get? Kirkman is doing such an amazing job with this. I thought the priest was going to get them kicked out and BAM Kirkman throws a total 180 at me. Then I'm thinking, "So, how is Rick gonna snap now?". Then a page later we find out. Rick notices the guy Pete sleeping on the porch and then comes to find out he's abusing his family. The community has known about this and have looked the other way since Peter is a doctor, etc. It pisses Rick off and he basically just takes matters into his own hands and just attacks the guy, haha. It was so awesome. Then Michonne lays down the law on Rick and it's looking like he's gonna get kicked out of the community. Then the nice little fun back up with a "What If" scenario taken from someones letter in a letters page. That was a fun little touch. This book is just so good and I was wondering when things were gonna give in this Community. It's just going to be very interesting to see how they handle things with Rick and who among the original group will side with Rick.

A few more.

New Mutants #15

A Heroic Age title....but, from what I can tell, it's only in name. Not much links this issue to anything happening with it, besides Cyclops being a *****e to Cannonball when he wants to stop being team leader. It's really more of a Second Coming/Hellbound continuation, as we learn that Magik and crew aren't the only ones who have come back from Limbo a bit changed. If you're like me and not a big fan of Pixie...well, here is another book that is trying to shove her down our throats.

It's too bad this book has become so mediocre now. There was a glimmer of hope when the old crew got back together...but, the bonding is forced and the importance is more on a boring story. There should be tons of material, especially with Warlock and Doug Ramsey returning to life or to the team....but, it's glossed over pretty much. Big disappointment! :csad:

X-Factor #207

David does a much better job with his team and their dynamic. It's the backbone of the title, and things will only get better with Rahne making her dramatic return this week. (Can't wait to see her reaction to Rictor and Shatterstar. Her feelings versus her Christian upbringing should make for some good stuff.) Still, I can't get over much-older-Layla. I don't care a bit for her character any longer. Also, not much a mystery who the lady in green is, as the cover gives that away. (Bad play on Marvel's behalf. I'd rather not know.) Hela sure has been in a lot of comics lately. :yay:

Shadowhawk #3

This title has been alright...but, the art is a bit annoying. There is something about this style that just makes my enjoyment of a story lessen. It's not bad...just not my cup of tea. (It reminds me of Chaykin's art.) The story is simplistic. Vigilante, Shadowhawk, must hunt down a crazed madman whose identity remains a mystery due to the mask he wears. :dry:

Black Widow #4

This issue had not much action and a whole lot of talk. It was late at night when I read it...and, I found myself fighting to stay awake. Best part was the beginning on the train with Lady Bullseye. This has been a good title; but, this issue won't convince new readers to jump on board. Hopefully things pick up next issue. :dry::yay:

New Mutants #15

A Heroic Age title....but, from what I can tell, it's only in name. Not much links this issue to anything happening with it, besides Cyclops being a *****e to Cannonball when he wants to stop being team leader. It's really more of a Second Coming/Hellbound continuation, as we learn that Magik and crew aren't the only ones who have come back from Limbo a bit changed. If you're like me and not a big fan of Pixie...well, here is another book that is trying to shove her down our throats.

It's too bad this book has become so mediocre now. There was a glimmer of hope when the old crew got back together...but, the bonding is forced and the importance is more on a boring story. There should be tons of material, especially with Warlock and Doug Ramsey returning to life or to the team....but, it's glossed over pretty much. Big disappointment! :csad:

I hated a good portion of the issue just because I have a personal hatred of drunkedness, so the team getting together to drink and act like fratboys and girls was a big turn off for me. However, besides that I think it's been a very good title... and that's coming from someone who was never really much of a New Mutants fan. I'm eager to see Legion become a bigger role and he's supposed to be soon enough, so that's got me waiting. And while I do like Pixie I do feel like they're forcing her a lot. But at least it makes sense in this title as she has a "long" established link to Illyana and Limbo. It was only a matter of time before it became a thing in this title. Hopefully it's just this one arc though and then they can move on from that.

X-Factor #207

David does a much better job with his team and their dynamic. It's the backbone of the title, and things will only get better with Rahne making her dramatic return this week. (Can't wait to see her reaction to Rictor and Shatterstar. Her feelings versus her Christian upbringing should make for some good stuff.)

I'm curious how it will play out but I'm real nervous as well. Anytime Marvel touches on religion they put it in a pretty bad light, taking the worst steriotypes and running with it. And with how taboo homosexuality is in the Church I'm nervous how they will portray it. I'd almost rather them leave her faith out of it and just deal with the fact that she gave up her virginity to Rictor, who is now sleeping with Shatterstar. I guess we'll see how it goes.

I can't see how Rahne would have any right to be upset. She left Rictor and then got pregnant by a f***ing Norse wolf deity. :o

Yea, as much as I love X-Force, they totally misused her for the main run of that. :(

I hated a good portion of the issue just because I have a personal hatred of drunkedness, so the team getting together to drink and act like fratboys and girls was a big turn off for me. However, besides that I think it's been a very good title... and that's coming from someone who was never really much of a New Mutants fan. I'm eager to see Legion become a bigger role and he's supposed to be soon enough, so that's got me waiting. And while I do like Pixie I do feel like they're forcing her a lot. But at least it makes sense in this title as she has a "long" established link to Illyana and Limbo. It was only a matter of time before it became a thing in this title. Hopefully it's just this one arc though and then they can move on from that.

Thanks, I was going to talk about this, too. But, as I read it the night before, I forget a lot of what's going through my mind when I write up my reviews. First, I also hate the emphasis on drinking....and, nobody seems to do it as much as the X-titles. (In the same way, I feel like today's youth get the idea that hanging at "the club" is the coolest thing in the world, because half the songs today seem to sing about that one thing.) Second, in my mind, the New Mutants are not 21. Yet, somehow they aged quickly...yet, other characters haven't.

I'm curious how it will play out but I'm real nervous as well. Anytime Marvel touches on religion they put it in a pretty bad light, taking the worst steriotypes and running with it. And with how taboo homosexuality is in the Church I'm nervous how they will portray it. I'd almost rather them leave her faith out of it and just deal with the fact that she gave up her virginity to Rictor, who is now sleeping with Shatterstar. I guess we'll see how it goes.

I'm the opposite. As you say, you're afraid of how they'll handle it and they'll put it in a bad light, but in the same paragraph you admit that it's taboo among your religion. So, is having her freak out putting it in a bad light, even though you seem to say that it's a reaction a devout person might have? Currently, I'm attending church, mainly for my daughter. I sit there week after week...and, there are just topics that I disagree with when someone preaches on them. Homosexuality is one of them...but, I'll admit it hasn't been addressed since I've been there. I think it's important to explore these ideas.

It's kind of how I get upset that every show on tv ...or probably even in comics, you never see someone decide to get an abortion. My family really enjoys ABC Family programming, and on Secret Life Of The American Teenager, another main character recently got pregnant and was going to get an abortion. I knew it would never happen. You see the guilt...the tears...the "I can't give up my baby." You know a show doesn't have the guts to actually show a person decide to get one, is cool with it, and has no problem...because, they do fear what that reaction will be. It's easier to show people drinking, smoking, and doing other damage to their bodies...but, this gets ignored. Sure, they talk about it to death...doing the "it's my body" and "it's my choice." Yet, the choice is always the same.

What I still wanna know is where in the hell did the wolf guy come from in the grand scheme anyway? And when did Rahne start getting "loose?" That whole portion of Necrosha bugged me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"