• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BOUGHT/THOUGHT March 14th

You might want to update, then. It only started doing that in more recent versions.

The Confession- PICK OF THE WEEK! ****ing lord, I love Alex Maleev. I took a non-comic reading friend to the shop with me this week, and even he was shocked by that two-page spread of Iron Man vs. Doom. That was a very surprising bit of continuity, too. Good stuff. I guessed the twist that Cap was already dead, but it still was surprising, particularly the final spread with Cap reminiscent of his return back in Avengers #4. 9/10

New Avengers- I like this team better than the last. There's great team chemistry, here. Yu's art is perfect for the tone. Some people are really surprised by Tony's actions here as opposed to The Confession. Remember guys, he's in the position where he has to arrest these people. 9/10

Thunderbolts- Oh man. Norman's totally off his rocker. That's just interesting. I like seeing Songbird and Radioactive Man kind of teaming up against the others already. The Stan Lee cameo was great, too. 8/10

Ant-Man- Wow, we actually see Eric attempt to make good on one of his mistakes! Our little hero is growing up. 8/10

Spider-Girl- I'm digging the new series, but I'm ready to see Normie and Phil come back. Maybe some Darkdevil, too. 8/10

Moon Knight- This comic is strange. The pacing is boring, but there are some crazy moments that make things interesting. 7/10

The Lone Ranger #5-It's still such a great feeling to go every month and buy a comic that my dad used to read when he was a kid (my dad being in his mid 50's) and one that I can actually get him to read. Nostalgia aside, this is just a damn solid comic. It's a perfect reimagining/update of the Lone Ranger from those old radio and black and white tv shows. A more compatible hero akin to Jonah Hex and a much tamer Loveless. Westerns haven't been this good in a long time.

Brett Matthews has been spending a lot of time building up the character of Lone Ranger from timid John Reid, to ass kicking Lone Ranger. The updating of Tonto has been done extraordinarily well and classy. What I like about this comic is its realism. Funny enough, hardcore Ranger fans have actually been pretty vocal about the violence in the comic (as loud as all 5 hardcore Ranger fans can be I guess). The issue really completes the transformation and now we finally have the Lone Ranger we all know and love setting up the last issue of the arc where he will come face to face with the man killing his fallen rangers families. I think it speaks volumes about Matthews that he allows the art to tell the story and doesn't get bogged down in a barrage of dialogue.

Speaking of the art, Sergio Carrielo has just been done such a magnificent job and with Dean White on colors sets the mood and feel of an old Texas long gone. I think its a good move to abstain from using an inker. John Cassaday is credited with "art direction" whatever that is supposed to mean, but he makes some pretty covers (suck on that Astonishing X-Men fans).

The Lone Ranger is one great book, and while I can see where some have problems with the pacing, its really all about the journey. I have high hopes for this book, and can't wait for the end of this arc and getting some more stories out of The Lone Ranger.

I picked up the first issue of Lone Ranger, and thought it was great! I'm definetly going to catch up on this series. :up:

you should also get the new sam noir series, these books are like kurosawa meets fletch :heart:

Spider-Man: Reign 4 Good read, the only problem is that I haven't read 1 or 3, so for me it was slightly hard to follow. Great to see Sandman go the way he did, he's always tip-toed on the fence, and to see him end as a hero was nice.

LOL! Dude, Hannibal Tabu deserves the hate mail frankly, The Buy Pile is one of the worst comic book review sections I've ever seen. Black Panther automatically is a must buy every month, I wonder why? [/racism]

I picked up the first issue of Lone Ranger, and thought it was great! I'm definetly going to catch up on this series. :up:

You realise Iron Fist in not in The Lone Ranger, right?

LOL! Dude, Hannibal Tabu deserves the hate mail frankly, The Buy Pile is one of the worst comic book review sections I've ever seen. Black Panther automatically is a must buy every month, I wonder why? [/racism]

That's actually what I called him on. How he could call cap #25 a sappy incoherent mess when every month the jumbled narative and ridiculously bad characterization in black panther gets a "must buy" :cmad:

Still waiting on a response, nice to get a mention though :D

New Avengers #28- What the hell is up with Bendis actually using continuity lately? Mommy wow. But remember, there's marvel 616 continuity, and Bendis continuity. The latter is defined perfectly by last week's Civil War: The Initiative controversial scene where Ms marvel tells Jessica Drew Cap is alive, a scene that left all the Marvel editors and Joey Q with a wha? face as they couldn't find a way to explain it. This week, Bendis does explain it, and frankly, Iron Man is a *****ebag, but I love him for it anyway.

The issue starts off in the now famous Japan, ninjas, ninjas, ninjas, these guys always with the ninjas. Anyway, they have escaped from the evil "Hand" of Elektra (bad pun) and are now deciding what to do. I mean, I know logic isn't common in the comic book world, but shouldn't Danny Rand have a jet waiting for them at an airport or something? Anyway, they decide to go and hideout in our favorite Silver Samurai's crib where they piss off their host and heads are attempted to roll. No, really. Meanwhile, flashback time! We see Luke Cage at a convenient store buying milk while a robbery ensues, he knocks out robber, cop sees Cage, cop tries to arrest Cage and Al Sharpton intervenes, ok he doesn't. Luke fights some cape killers and escapes on their little flying car things ( I swear, the design is straight out of The Island). Anyway, he goes to the one place the cops would never look for a black man, the local Starbucks under construction, but its really Dr. Strange's house where the rest of the new Avengers are hanging out eating noodles and Wong is snooty. Jessica Drew shows up real chipper because Cap is alive, nobody believes it, but they go along with the plan anyway. Strange does recon, sees Cap's body, they barge in to resuce him, its a fake body, Mighty Avengers show up, and its time to kick some ass. Yay! Seriously, Tony Stark is such an awesome *****ebag. Back in the present, Elektra shows up, and nobody really cares.

Bendis writing is classic Bendis, talking heads, chatty dialogue, funny quips, everyone quips, even Dr. Strange. I expect him to say cowabunga soon or something. And really, is it me or did Bendis really try to play on the whole Wong is gay jokes on the interwebs? Either way, the writing is solid, and I must admit, the whole scene with Luke Cage and the milk was pretty funny. But the issue suffers through some timing mess that I don't understand why it was done that way. I mean, ok, nice flashback, but it kind of takes away from the big battle scene next issue when you know they survive. Also, did Danny sound really ghetto or was that me?

Leinil Yu is really the star here, as both Bendis Avengers' titles are pretty much showcases for art, and he has to take a backseat. The mood and setting in his pencils compliments the whole mood of the book and the direction its going to. Frankly, however, I'd like to see some ink on his pencils as sometimes, it gets to be too much. That said, Yu the man now dawg! :dry:

Overall, solid issue, and has me getting the next one, hopefully every ninja in the world is killed soon so we can see these guys battle some really dirty mofos, like SHIELD or something. And its a fact everybody, everyone loves Mean Girls.

That's actually what I called him on. How he could call cap #25 a sappy incoherent mess when every month the jumbled narative and ridiculously bad characterization in black panther gets a "must buy" :cmad:

Still waiting on a response, nice to get a mention though :D

I just read it every week to see what absurdly bad comic gets into the Buy Pile, this week, Thunderbolts/Punisher: War Journal.

New Avengers #28- What the hell is up with Bendis actually using continuity lately? Mommy wow. But remember, there's marvel 616 continuity, and Bendis continuity. The latter is defined perfectly by last week's Civil War: The Initiative controversial scene where Ms marvel tells Jessica Drew Cap is alive, a scene that left all the Marvel editors and Joey Q with a wha? face as they couldn't find a way to explain it. This week, Bendis does explain it, and frankly, Iron Man is a *****ebag, but I love him for it anyway.

The issue starts off in the now famous Japan, ninjas, ninjas, ninjas, these guys always with the ninjas. Anyway, they have escaped from the evil "Hand" of Elektra (bad pun) and are now deciding what to do. I mean, I know logic isn't common in the comic book world, but shouldn't Danny Rand have a jet waiting for them at an airport or something? Anyway, they decide to go and hideout in our favorite Silver Samurai's crib where they piss off their host and heads are attempted to roll. No, really. Meanwhile, flashback time! We see Luke Cage at a convenient store buying milk while a robbery ensues, he knocks out robber, cop sees Cage, cop tries to arrest Cage and Al Sharpton intervenes, ok he doesn't. Luke fights some cape killers and escapes on their little flying car things ( I swear, the design is straight out of The Island). Anyway, he goes to the one place the cops would never look for a black man, the local Starbucks under construction, but its really Dr. Strange's house where the rest of the new Avengers are hanging out eating noodles and Wong is snooty. Jessica Drew shows up real chipper because Cap is alive, nobody believes it, but they go along with the plan anyway. Strange does recon, sees Cap's body, they barge in to resuce him, its a fake body, Mighty Avengers show up, and its time to kick some ass. Yay! Seriously, Tony Stark is such an awesome *****ebag. Back in the present, Elektra shows up, and nobody really cares.

Bendis writing is classic Bendis, talking heads, chatty dialogue, funny quips, everyone quips, even Dr. Strange. I expect him to say cowabunga soon or something. And really, is it me or did Bendis really try to play on the whole Wong is gay jokes on the interwebs? Either way, the writing is solid, and I must admit, the whole scene with Luke Cage and the milk was pretty funny. But the issue suffers through some timing mess that I don't understand why it was done that way. I mean, ok, nice flashback, but it kind of takes away from the big battle scene next issue when you know they survive. Also, did Danny sound really ghetto or was that me?

Leinil Yu is really the star here, as both Bendis Avengers' titles are pretty much showcases for art, and he has to take a backseat. The mood and setting in his pencils compliments the whole mood of the book and the direction its going to. Frankly, however, I'd like to see some ink on his pencils as sometimes, it gets to be too much. That said, Yu the man now dawg! :dry:

Overall, solid issue, and has me getting the next one, hopefully every ninja in the world is killed soon so we can see these guys battle some really dirty mofos, like SHIELD or something. And its a fact everybody, everyone loves Mean Girls.
Didn't you tell me not to buy New Avengers when I was considering it? :confused:

Probably, but the comic doesn't, you should give it a shot. Download it fool.

I flipped through it in the shop. It was kind of nice how Bendis, at least, is just having Tony embrace his new dickwad status. The fact that Jenkins made him cry in Frontline and then basically continue on with what he was doing without any actual change rang about as hollow as anything can.

Because I would be the first SHH poster in recorded history to have typo's.

And then when I complain that some people nitpick me to death far more than some others, Darth feels I'm digging for pity.
Those aren't typos, those are spelling errors. "Seemless," "deams"...the whole ee/ea thing isn't that confusing.

Not that you didn't have typos. Because you totally did. I forgive typos. Not ginormous ******o English-butchering, and ESPECIALLY not from such a long-spoken fellow. If you're gonna make posts with word-counts in the thousands, you should spell correctly.

Ummm, and so what if people nitpick you more than others. It's the price of fame, and for some reason, you're kind of popular on this particular forum. I'd also like to point out that I don't nitpick, I school. I school.:cmad:

I make blasphemously long-winded posts, too. Why isn't anyone schooling me? Oh wait I forget, it's because I'm awesome.

Yeah, that's right. I'm callin' y'all out. Bring it.
comeandgetsome.gif

I make blasphemously long-winded posts, too. Why isn't anyone schooling me? Oh wait I forget, it's because I'm awesome.

comeandgetsome.gif

if awesome is the pile of dog poo that i avoided on my way to work this morning, then yes, you are awesome.

comeandgetsome.gif
Honestly, I usually ignore your posts if they take up the whole screen. Dread's too, if it's any consolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"