• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Bought / Thought May 20th = Spoilers

SouLeSS

Superhero
Reaction score
Battle for the Cowl 3 - Well, there's no big reveal. The story goes just about the same way everyone expected, with a few little additions that will help certain characters evolve (Jason being told he was Bruce's ultimate failure, Tim being saved from certain death by Damien). Art was a bit miffed too in places. Overall it was ok, don't really see a need for an entire mini and event like it was, but then again it was originally going to be 4 30page (40page, 10pages of ads) issues which got all screwed up because DC wanted to have a bunch of Tie-Ins and such. Meh/10.

Superman/Batman 60 - I've read this series from issue 1 and it's always been fun, if not rather goofy at times. But this issue was horrible. It was like some fanfic writers greatest dream come true. Get this, you take the Titans, and you take the JLA, and you combine the heroes. Green Lantern is now Night Lantern aka "Hal Grayson". AquaBorg, aka Arthur Stone. Donna Wonder...Wally Allen...Doomstroke, Brainycat, Penguello, Jimmy Two-Face. And the leader of all the bad? Yup. Lex Joker. Holy **** I have never in my life rolled my eyes the amount of times I did while reading this issue. Although I guess Batman now realizes how much in common Hal Jordan and Dick Grayson have though, whatever that means.

Agents of Atlas was awesome. Great fight between the Agents and the New Avengers, Carlo Pagulayan returns, Spider-Man shines intellectually in ways I almost forgot he was capable of, and Bob breaks the news that Namor's part of the Illuminaughty to Namora and the others, setting up the next issue. Fun.

Planet Skaar Prologue was nice. The Fantastic Four feel more like themselves here than they did for World War Hulk, so that's good. Reed's doing everything he can to help Skaar while Norman and HAMMER seem interested solely in killing him. She-Hulk gets a chance to be drawn back into the Hulk family in a way I've rarely seen lately--she was practically an afterthought in WWH and hasn't had much contact with the Hulk since then, yet we now see her experiencing the same "gamma call," I guess, from Skaar that the Hulk and Kate Waynesboro (although I guess it's an "Oldpower call" for her) do and working alongside the FF to help Skaar. Skaar, of course, is focused solely on destruction. You'd think he might've learned when his mother banished him and allowed Sakaar to get eaten by Galactus because of that very destructive impulse within Skaar, but no. Anyway, we also get an explanation of why Bruce has been stuck in dumb Hulk mode since WWH and, even better, it makes sense, and then the issue ends on a twist that should prove pretty interesting for the event itself. I'm not sure why they chose Dan Panosian for this, since his art has a somewhat jovial tone to it, but it also looks a lot like classic Ron Frenz, who drew a great Hulk, so I liked it.

Secret Six was another fun stand-alone issue, which I always love to see. Bane and Catman head to Gotham to right wrongs in honor of Batman's passing and Ragdoll tags along (dressed in a Robin costume, of course) to be zany and weird. They stop some kidnappings with the usual high-quality banter Simone has become known for, with Bane and Catman each commenting on how the other secretly thinks he could fill Batman's shoes while steadfastly denying it. Then Nightwing shows up and the difference in their reactions is telling: Bane gets the others to leave out of respect for Nightwing, realizing that the city is his now that Bruce is gone, while Catman rages about how condescending Nightwing is. So it turns out Bane fully understands he's not worthy of Batman's mantle while Catman fully believes he is worthy of it in spite of all his flaws, which of course means he's not. Solid one-off to remind us that a few of the Secret Sixers have some ties to Batman and Gotham during this whole Battle for the Cowl transition.

Captain America #50 was a nice retrospective on Bucky's awkward relationship with birthdays. It's another step in the path to his own redemption, which I love seeing, but more importantly, I think it may be the first step toward his own redemption that he's actually, consciously made aware of. He went from an angry loner to a part of the Invaders and Cap's friend to an angry loner again, and now he's found that he once again has a family to share his birthdays with, in spite of his own guilt over the Winter Soldier stuff telling him he doesn't deserve it. The little history lesson about Cap and Bucky by Marcos Martin was great, too. It read like a war propaganda film, which was cool. Ross' art on the main story was also good, although I still think he's not quite up to the standard of Perkins and Epting.

Agents of Atlas was awesome. Great fight between the Agents and the New Avengers, Carlo Pagulayan returns, Spider-Man shines intellectually in ways I almost forgot he was capable of, and Bob breaks the news that Namor's part of the Illuminaughty to Namora and the others, setting up the next issue. Fun.

Planet Skaar Prologue was nice. The Fantastic Four feel more like themselves here than they did for World War Hulk, so that's good. Reed's doing everything he can to help Skaar while Norman and HAMMER seem interested solely in killing him. She-Hulk gets a chance to be drawn back into the Hulk family in a way I've rarely seen lately--she was practically an afterthought in WWH and hasn't had much contact with the Hulk since then, yet we now see her experiencing the same "gamma call," I guess, from Skaar that the Hulk and Kate Waynesboro (although I guess it's an "Oldpower call" for her) do and working alongside the FF to help Skaar. Skaar, of course, is focused solely on destruction. You'd think he might've learned when his mother banished him and allowed Sakaar to get eaten by Galactus because of that very destructive impulse within Skaar, but no. Anyway, we also get an explanation of why Bruce has been stuck in dumb Hulk mode since WWH and, even better, it makes sense, and then the issue ends on a twist that should prove pretty interesting for the event itself. I'm not sure why they chose Dan Panosian for this, since his art has a somewhat jovial tone to it, but it also looks a lot like classic Ron Frenz, who drew a great Hulk, so I liked it.

Secret Six was another fun stand-alone issue, which I always love to see. Bane and Catman head to Gotham to right wrongs in honor of Batman's passing and Ragdoll tags along (dressed in a Robin costume, of course) to be zany and weird. They stop some kidnappings with the usual high-quality banter Simone has become known for, with Bane and Catman each commenting on how the other secretly thinks he could fill Batman's shoes while steadfastly denying it. Then Nightwing shows up and the difference in their reactions is telling: Bane gets the others to leave out of respect for Nightwing, realizing that the city is his now that Bruce is gone, while Catman rages about how condescending Nightwing is. So it turns out Bane fully understands he's not worthy of Batman's mantle while Catman fully believes he is worthy of it in spite of all his flaws, which of course means he's not. Solid one-off to remind us that a few of the Secret Sixers have some ties to Batman and Gotham during this whole Battle for the Cowl transition.

Captain America #50 was a nice retrospective on Bucky's awkward relationship with birthdays. It's another step in the path to his own redemption, which I love seeing, but more importantly, I think it may be the first step toward his own redemption that he's actually, consciously made aware of. He went from an angry loner to a part of the Invaders and Cap's friend to an angry loner again, and now he's found that he once again has a family to share his birthdays with, in spite of his own guilt over the Winter Soldier stuff telling him he doesn't deserve it. The little history lesson about Cap and Bucky by Marcos Martin was great, too. It read like a war propaganda film, which was cool. Ross' art on the main story was also good, although I still think he's not quite up to the standard of Perkins and Epting.

why has banner beeen stuck in savage hulk ? if you dont want to reveal it here, do you think you can pm me the answer ? the only reason why i ask is cause my comic retailer may not even get this comic in and im dying to read it.

Reed suspects that Bruce is consciously holding in the WWH Hulk (they call him the Green Scar, which is what he was called on Sakaar, in the issue) for fear that he'll do more damage to the world again. The dumb Hulk isn't intelligent enough to be as much of a threat.

Corp I didn't get comics yet but I'm assuming the New Avengers actually felt like the New Avengers in this for once instead of the usual Bendis Avengers.

Reed suspects that Bruce is consciously holding in the WWH Hulk (they call him the Green Scar, which is what he was called on Sakaar, in the issue) for fear that he'll do more damage to the world again. The dumb Hulk isn't intelligent enough to be as much of a threat.

Awsome, I hope banner unleashes the green scar again, I think he's my favorite incarnation of hulk, definatly the most powerful and intelligent.
But I like him cause he knows how to direct his anger and he was a pretty decent leader, if banner knew how to direct him the green scar could be a great hero, maybe even great enough to land a spot on a super hero team.

About an average week in terms of quantity, with not one, but two Marvel titles that happen to ship two issues within a month! The cynic in me questions it, but the fan in me will enjoy it for the moment.

As always, full spoilers.

Dread's Bought/Thought for 5/20/09 (Part 1):

BRAVE AND THE BOLD #23:
Not a joke or a hoax! I happened upon a preview of this at CBR and I figured, "wait a second; it is a Booster Gold story by Dan Jurgens & Norm Rapmund, the same creative team who has been involved in BOOSTER GOLD for ages. I bet it is like an 'extra' issue of BOOSTER GOLD, and is worth getting". I snagged my shop's only remaining copy left on the shelf, and I was proven right. Since I also read and enjoy BOOSTER GOLD, though, it was a nice surprise for once from the Big Two.

BRAVE AND THE BOLD I imagine is akin to DC's version of MARVEL TEAM-UP, only while MTU historically had heroes teaming up with Spider-Man, for DC it was Batman. The newest volume has seemed to fall back into general team-up territory, and much like newer stabs at MTU showed, the market really isn't hungry for decent quality if "pointless" superhero stories or team-up's. Which is a shame unto itself I guess. Word on the street was that when JMS signed his DC exclusive, they were going to stick him onto this book. Many though it daft; why saddle one of the few reliable A-List talent folks left in the biz and who was willing to hop FROM Marvel to DC, and not the other way around, with a title that usually sells outside the Top 95-105? While the theory that JMS could boost the book on name-power alone is a sound one, it wasn't one that usually panned out in reality; as Mark Millar & Bryan Hitch's run on FANTASTIC FOUR can attest; after a few boost months, it quickly has fallen back into about average FF numbers by about 10-12 issues in. This left DC to figure out where else to stick JMS, and left B&TB scrambling. It appears by the back page that JMS will handle a new stable of characters DC now has access to, like Doc Savage, for revisions.

None of this matters at all to this issue, though, which may as well be an issue of BOOSTER GOLD. It starts with a crisis at Rip Hunter's time-lab, in which Booster finds that Rip is gone, but trying to escape a battle in some alternate time zone. Booster and Skeets are barely able to save him, and Rip's taken a pounding; all he can mumble is, "Magog."

Magog is a character from KINGDOM COME that DC has set about inserting into their universe proper. To be fair to DiDio bashers, DC has toyed with this idea since the late 90's or so. Currently, though, there seems to be no demand for DC to start inserting more KC stuff into their continuity beyond for the hardcore and the editorial board, but as DC usually stands as editorial wish fulfillment fantasy theater, that's good enough. Apparently Magog has been plucked from his future/alternate future time to be a member of the JSA. Booster tries to return to the time that Rip was in, and is send to a war torn wasteland. Whether this is supposed to be Kansas after the Parasite battle in KINGDOM COME or just some other nuked city that Magog was a part of between panels is unknown. Rip yanks Booster back and claims he isn't ready for this level of time-mission, or of knowing the "fate" of many of his friends. Eager to see what Magog is up to, Skeets informs them of a hostage situation in the fictional Middle Eastern nation of Kahndaq. Wasn't this the nation that the Black Marvel stuff happened at in 52? It's been a while, DC.

Magog apparently is Cable with ram horms instead of a torso-sized gun. He's a tough talkin' bad ass who likes doing things his way or no way, and enjoys busting heads more than anything else. He's your typical "tough as nails 'military' style hero" who does bad ass things and makes the bad ass tough decisions. Literally pushing his way past the Kahndaq military forces outside the building, Magog enages the terrorists, who have taken children hostage and plan to blow everyone up with a "dead man switch" style bomb attached to their leader. Rather than truck out costumed terrorist types, Jurgens is keeping the villains rather realistic for the sort of terrorists one might encounter in the Middle East, allowing the fictional nation to work despite it being, well, fictional. Booster Gold and Skeets enter this fray, and set about making sure Magog doesn't get anyone killed. While Magog manages to pummel most of the terrorists and even disables the detonator by removing the arm of the head bad guy, Booster is forced to compensate for Magog's haste by taking out some rocket-men on the roof and ultimately saving two children who were left behind in the francas. Probably the best laugh was that one of the kids called Magog "goat man". Booster lectures Magog about responsibility (which is pretty ironic coming from Captain Cash-In himself, but shows how far he has come), while Magog grumbles the usual "bad ass military superhero" manta of being a man's man who does the hard, bloody, manly stuff, and anyone else is just a poof or collateral damage (in so many words). Really, in KINGDOM COME Busiek and Ross intended Magog to represent the late 80's - mid 90's "gritty" hero like Cable as an allegory to debunk why that wasn't what being a superhero should be, and he's still that way. I don't see the point of him, though, in inserting him into the mainstream proper, especially the version NOT at the end of KC who wanted to reform. But what do I know? I'm just a fair weather DC fan who would maybe buy more of their books if their agenda was more focused and competant, or wasn't busy telling anyone under 30 their their heroes don't matter.

Booster wants to take him down, but Rip stops him, claiming that while Magog MAY be a threat in the future, in the meantime he is destined to save some lives. Booster ends the issue vowing to take Magog down when the time comes. Hey, it would probably be more interesting than letting Superman do it again.

One could argue that heroes like Magog certainly have their place in mainstream. 80's action movie heroes are full of types just as stubborn and ruthless as Magog is, and some of this cliche remained for action films in the 90's and even a few nowadays, such as the TRANSPORTER or CRANK films. The question of course in having them clash with other heroes is to see which type is "best", and the answer is usually, "it depends". My philosophy is that a more reasonable hero may not be able to go "hardcore" until it is almost too late if at all, but when they do, they usually know when to stop. Types like Magog are usually too trigger happy to know that line.

Jurgens and Rapmund of course do great artwork together, and this worked not only as an extra issue of BOOSTER GOLD this month, but as a satisfying little story to show how far Booster has come, especially when ideologically clashing against "Horned Cable".

INVINCIBLE #62: The second part of the "CONQUEST" story (which led off issue #60's hellish "Invincible War") in which Invincible and the Viltrumite warrior Conquest punch each other across the city and into space for most of the book.

There's more to it than that, but...not much more. Out of 22 pages, maybe 15 of them are punching with barely a few lines in some panels here or there. It is a quick read. But, as Kirkman himself justifies in the letters pages, that shouldn't mean you feel cheated. He wanted Conquest to seem like an imposing villain, and to have a big action set-piece. 22 pages a month is too short a format for that sort of development sometimes; hence why Japan, which only has a far larger comic base than America does, never sells comics in such short fashion. I am a sucker for a good action sequence, and Round One of Mark vs. Conquest is pretty good, with some draw dropping angles and panels from Ryan Ottley. You could easily see it being animated, they are of such storyboard like quality.

Conquest as a villain so far is coming off a bit typical, but to be fair, he's the only named Viltrumite besides Anissa (and Nolan of course) who has stuck around for long, so it is forgiveable. He's a battle-hardened warrior with the scars and cyber-limb to prove it. While his official mission is to check on Mark's progress in controlling Earth for the empire, in truth he is glad that Mark has resisted, and only wants a good fight out of it. This is probably the first time Mark has really fought another Viltrumite since the Mantis World, and that was years ago (and alongside his father). True, there was Anissa, but she only gave him a few moves and didn't want to fight him at the time. She still hopes to "sway" him. Conquest, though, just enjoys the fighting, so they're both punching each other through buildings and even into space. Mark gives it his all, and while he delivers quite a few decent blows against Conquest, the gap in power is clear.

The situation also helps to show that while Oliver may be growing in power at a faster rate than Mark did at his age, he isn't quite on Mark's scale yet, and is little more than a nuisance to Conquest.

The fight is being televised, and it seems that Cecil isn't putting those dead alternate reality Invincibles to waste, having them converted into Reanimen. Invincible Reanimen? At any rate, a move that is both creepy and cold, but makes sense for Cecil. It may mean, though, that his tolerance for a "rogue" Invincible may only last as long as a few of his new cyborgs need to be up and running. Kirkman has bragged on his letters page that he has some "better" stuff cooked up on this book than stories in the past, leading up to The Viltrumite War around issue #70 or so next year. Sounds very cool, of course, as I still enjoyed this book even during some of the stories that Kirkman now claims were "coasting".

There is a part of me that expects Mark to be bailed out somehow at the end, but the rest of me wants to see him really prove himself and take Conquest down, against all odds, ROCKY style. To conquer the villain, if you will.

Colors are kick-ass, and the fight was pretty good. Not the longest read, but got me more psyched for issue #63, so it did it's job. Besides, I love and understand big battle sequences.

AGENTS OF ATLAS #5: Two issues of AGENTS OF ATLAS within a month! Not a myth or a imaginary tale! I would guess that it was helped by the fact that Henry & Hardman had been doing the art for the last two issues, thus giving Pagulayan another lead-in time to basically draw an entire issue. What is stated on the cover is exactly what you get, a showdown between the Agents of Atlas and the New Avengers. Billy Tan does the cover, which is probably the only thing I didn't like about the issue. It's not bad, but Tan's art sometimes seems a bit...generic or static. Not the worst of either kind, but not as popping.

The lovely Venus recaps the last issue in a song; you can sure tell that Jeff Parker puts his all into his work sometimes.

The Agents continue on their quest to undermine evil organizations from within, this time by posing as a legit criminal empire to forge an arms deal with Norman Osborn, which they are using to gain data against him for a future assault. In the meantime they seek to undermine him when possible. A chance encounter with Captain America (Bucky Barnes) last issue sped up their plan to "leak" info about the weapons deal to the New Avengers (or the "AWOL Avengers" as Grizzly's goon calls them at one point). Now the entire team are coming down to shut down the weapons factory before HAMMER gets them. The roster for the guest stint is Cap, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Luke Cage, Ronin, and Ms. Marvel, because perhaps Jeff Parker figures if Bendis doesn't have to cope with the fact that Danvers is MIA and presumed dead, then neither does he. Iron Fist, it seems, has the night off (or is too busy in another dimension at IMMORTAL IRON FIST or something), and so does Spider-Woman. The Agents are handicapped as Bob Grayson is too pooped from all the psychic scans, and a very eager Temujin takes his place in battle.

As stated before, the premise of AoA is great. It's basically the same schtick that the Shroud used to have (posing as a criminal to undermine them from within, like an "undercover"), only Parker has handled it much more competantly, and has a quirkier and more historied cast of characters. The Shroud in some ways likely never recovered from being a thinly veiled rip off of The Shadow (and I actually liked Shroud). This not only allows AGENTS to be a more unique team book than many on the racks now, but gives them a much better reason to fight any superhero who guest stars in an issue than a lot of other books, which take "misunderstanding fights" for granted.

This issue also does something that neither Bendis nor seemingly any other writer has done with Spider-Man in at least three years; show him as part of the team who actually has a brain and experience. Most times Spidey is either the annoying wisecracking guy and/or is yammering about being overwhelmed every New Avenger adventure. Not here. The moment the team lands on the facility, he "senses" something amiss. After webbing up some goons (who Woo set up to be taken in, considering them "no hopers" criminals as some in Atlas would be), Spider-Man figures out that Osborn's guns are fake, and since his "spider-sense" isn't going off, the Agents mean the team no real harm. Imagine! Spider-Man acting like he's been a superhero for, oh, about 47 years! Once again, it seems the suckitude that usually is NEW AVENGERS has nothing to do with the roster, but how Bendis writes and executes with them. Ronin is still lame, though. Least Clint is using arrows again, but still, it's worse than Hank Pym. Pym is at least trying to honor his dead ex-wife by wearing her duds; what's Clint's excuse for donning Echo's?

Unfortunately, as it always seems to, Logan's past comes back to bite everyone in the bum. It also shows that the "back up" flashback stories aren't there for show, but serve as subplots. That 1950's adventure in Cuba with Logan, Woo, Hale, and M-11? Comes back to haunt everyone, as M-11 recognizes Wolverine's voice patterns and realizes that "agent Logan" back in the 50's has returned. Considering that Logan blew up M-11 back then to cover his escape from the then-CIA agents, the Human Robot seems to want a pound of flesh. Just as fast as Bucky can scream, "Avengers Attack!", the situation gets out of hand for them (but action packed fun for us). Namora vs. Ms. Marvel ends as you would expect once Namora gets some fresh sea-water on her, and M-11 ultimately gets his tin can kicked by Cage, albeit with an assist from Wolverine. The entire battle naturally ends when Venus starts singing, though, and while Woo and the gang may have gotten a few bruises, their cover is intact and Osborn didn't get his weapons, while also doesn't quite realize that Atlas aren't allies. Bob does tell Namora at the end, though, that the "cabal" that Osborn is working with includes her cousin, Namor.

Who, INCREDIBLE HERCULES fans know, she really wants to bone, royal incest style.

Remember those red triangles from the 50's stories? Yeah, they get used, too. Nothing in the book is for show, or wasted. Other writers would do well to imitate that.

Paglayan's art is pretty good throughout the issue, drawing some pretty exciting battle sequence panels and splash pages. The color & ink work are great, too. The sales so far? Good, but could improve. AGENTS OF ATLAS #3 sold over 29,700 copies according to the just-released April charts. While that isn't great, that actually is an improvement from issue #2, that sold just over 26k. Maybe that second print of issue #1, which boosted the debut to over 34k copies, helped. Or the variant cover. Either way, while AGENTS OF ATLAS isn't the best seller, it's outselling the 2005 mini by almost double per issue, and seems to be stabilizing fast. Remember, what doesn't kill books isn't just low sales, but sales that fail to bottom out. CAPTAIN BRITAIN AND MI-13 was selling about 17k and was still dropping before cancellation. Only SPIDER-GIRL was allowed to sell for long below 20k, and that got axed. The digests are what are keeping RUNAWAYS afloat (they're at 19k now, a series low).

Jeff Parker is proving that this has been his best property in terms of writing; the quality seems much better and rounded than his X-MEN FIRST CLASS stuff, which I also enjoyed. It is simply a unique and excellently written Marvel team comic capitalizing on the new status quo, and it's always a treat once, or even twice, a month.

Next: DARK REIGN: FANTASTIC FOUR #3, CAPTAIN AMERICA #50, FANTASTIC FOUR #566, & TERROR, INC.: APOCALYPSE SOON #2 (the other title that shipped twice this month).

Corp I didn't get comics yet but I'm assuming the New Avengers actually felt like the New Avengers in this for once instead of the usual Bendis Avengers.
Well, the New Avengers have always been the Bendis Avengers. If you're talking about characters, yeah, I think Parker does a better job with some. Luke Cage sounds a little bit too much like an "urban black dude" soundboard, though. His dialogue's a bit trite. The rest of the Avengers, especially Clint and Spider-Man, are handled well.
Awsome, I hope banner unleashes the green scar again, I think he's my favorite incarnation of hulk, definatly the most powerful and intelligent.
But I like him cause he knows how to direct his anger and he was a pretty decent leader, if banner knew how to direct him the green scar could be a great hero, maybe even great enough to land a spot on a super hero team.
I like the Green Scar, too. I'm fairly certain he'll find his way out into the world again for Planet Skaar. He's really Skaar's father, after all. Banner and the other Hulks are just people who timeshare in the Green Scar's body, as far as Skaar is concerned.

not as stellar a week as i'd been anticipating:

Amazing Spider-Man #594
- Not bad. Good Spidey action, and the new Vulture is pretty cool, but we still have no idea who he is really. I thought Aunt May's engagement was way too premature (sure it's been 2 months comic time, but they only started dating like 4 issues ago). I think most enjoyed the final pages because it's set up for American Son. Now I'm excited for the story. 6/10

Batman: Battle for the Cowl #3 - There are no surprises in this. We all knew how it would play out in the end. But that doesn't make it a bad book. I love Tony Daniel's art so I at least had pretty pictures to look at. I didn't like how the villains were just sprinkled in. It's like they had nothing to do with the story at all, but I'm hoping they were all taken care of in one of the other spin-offs I didn't read. 5/10

Superman/ Batman #60 - I'm glad to see Johnson back on this book, but that being said...the Justice Titans are stupid! I'm hoping it pays of in the end. The whole Wally thing is interesting and kinda gives you the impression there might be a good explanation for this alternate world theyre in. But I give this book props because of the BEAUTIFUL art! I wish I could remember his name (Francis M....) but it's reason alone for me to keep reading. 6/10

Uncanny X-Men #510 - So it's official, Jean Grey is returning....but not just yet. the break-in to the X-Center was handled really well, and like IGN said, it really gives you the scope of the new setting the X-Men are in. But the part I enjoyed the most was Wolverine's scenes. They show off his badass-ness without being the insane, uber-god Wolverine we've been seeing for the past few years. And yeah the scene with Jean was pretty cool and I'm hoping they'll explore her's and Emma's relationship after Endsong/ Warsong. Oh, but Land "drew" this so..... 7/10

Is Battle for the Cowl over? Who is now Batman?

Who do you think would take over for Batman if Bruce were ever gone?

Ok, so it was the obvious choice...I didn't know if they were going to pull a fast one. :p

edit: Is it sad that I kinda wish Tim became the new Batman? :huh:

Nope, it's exactly who you'd expect. Which, while maybe not great to build a mini-series around, should prove to be interesting in the coming months with Batman and Robin.

Now the countdown to the day both Bruce and Steve show back up and their successors are thrust out of their positions. :p

Amazing Spider-Man #594 - Not bad. Good Spidey action, and the new Vulture is pretty cool, but we still have no idea who he is really. I thought Aunt May's engagement was way too premature (sure it's been 2 months comic time, but they only started dating like 4 issues ago). I think most enjoyed the final pages because it's set up for American Son. Now I'm excited for the story. 6/10

I'd probably give it an extra point, but I agree with what you said. The engagement is very rushed...although, when you are as old as JJ Sr. and Aunt May, you might just rush to be married. (Although, as a man, I've learned as I get older, I'm much more reluctant to rush into marriage, especially since I have kids...of course, Peter has not been a "kid" for quite some time.) I just found it disturbing to see Aunt May a few issues back naked in bed with a full page spread. Also, I would have liked to get a little more information about who the New Vulture was. But, as with a lot of new Spidey villians, the writers like to draw that crap out.

Better than Amazing Spider-Man was Amazing Spider-Man Family #6! Marvel has made this so much better the last couple issues by having the continued adventures of Spider-Girl within the pages. This current story, leaving off right where her series left off, is better than ever. Added to this is the backstory to who Jackpot was, and what was her relationship to the original Jackpot. Very moving and very nice send-off for a character I've been following all last year. (The other two stories, though, didn't do much for me.)

it really is a no-brainer.

Jean-Paul Valley right? and then Bruce comes back for a minuted and tells Dick to be Batman. I think I read that story already.:woot:

Hopefully we don't have to go through like10-15 issues of Dick narration bubbles talking about how hard it is to be the new Batman. He's already done it.

I'd probably give it an extra point, but I agree with what you said. The engagement is very rushed...although, when you are as old as JJ Sr. and Aunt May, you might just rush to be married. (Although, as a man, I've learned as I get older, I'm much more reluctant to rush into marriage, especially since I have kids...of course, Peter has not been a "kid" for quite some time.) I just found it disturbing to see Aunt May a few issues back naked in bed with a full page spread. Also, I would have liked to get a little more information about who the New Vulture was. But, as with a lot of new Spidey villians, the writers like to draw that crap out.

Better than Amazing Spider-Man was Amazing Spider-Man Family #6! Marvel has made this so much better the last couple issues by having the continued adventures of Spider-Girl within the pages. This current story, leaving off right where her series left off, is better than ever. Added to this is the backstory to who Jackpot was, and what was her relationship to the original Jackpot. Very moving and very nice send-off for a character I've been following all last year. (The other two stories, though, didn't do much for me.)

Ah, so you were the guy that liked jackpot. Marvel was saying someone did, but I just thought you were a myth like giants or Iowa.

thats what I was thinking. when I saw the cover I said yup. I'm skipping that issue of ASMF.

Punisher #5: Good Punisher fun, as he continues tracking down The Hood. Microchip gives Punisher an offer he can't refuse, as The Hood gives Frank the chance of bringing his family back to life, the same way he resurrected Microchip. Of course, Frank can refuse the offer, and does. In the end, The Hood ups the ante, and has me dying to get the next issue.

My only problem with Punisher fighting supervillians is for the most part, the Punisher never achieves what he sets out to do, which is kill the bad guys. If this were mobsters, they'd all end up dead by the end of the story; but, I know this won't be the case with all the villians he's facing in this issue. And, I don't believe anything will really be resolved with The Hood, as I think Bendis still has major plans for him. Still, I loved the last scene in this issue. 7/10

Thunderbolts #132: Great issue after a very mediocre tie-in with Deadpool that took away from the interest of discovering the characters in this new team. This issue is made up of two halves, one focusing on the Ghost (what an interesting character...and, I'm wondering if his relevation is the truth, or if he's as manipulative as Norman Osborn) and the second involving an apparent mission to kill Mister X. So far, this has been a title where things are not always what they seem; and, I can't wait for more. 8/10

Jesse James Is A Dead Man!: This free comic is nothing but a promotional vehicle for Jessie James' new series on Spike TV, where he plays a "modern-day daredevil." Meh, did nothing for me. But, you can't complain about free. 3/10

Hulk #12: You thought the Hulk taking out everyone so easily in World War Hulk was a little beyond his power? Well, Hulk #12 makes Rulk seem as powerful as They Beyonder! Just when you thought this title couldn't get any worse, this conclusion to the current storyline might just be the worst single issue of Hulk I've ever read. It almost felt like Loeb came up with an somewhat interesting idea, and just phoned in the ending. These match-ups were interesting enough; but, having all the Rulk interference ruined the whole storyline. For this special issue, I won't give a number ranking; instead, just two words will do: Pure Crap!

Batman: Battle For The Cowl #3: A decent end for this mediocre storyline. The best of the Battle For The Cowl stories were the one-shots, with the worst being Oracle and Azrael. It's just that none of the tie-ins to this main story really had anything to do with Battle For The Cowl. This issue ends just as I suspected it would, and I don't think the person who takes up the Cowl is that big of a surprise. Now, the real mystery is who is Black Mask. (I'm wondering if it's Jason, who was playing two roles.) 7/10

Jean-Paul Valley right? and then Bruce comes back for a minuted and tells Dick to be Batman. I think I read that story already.:woot:

Hopefully we don't have to go through like10-15 issues of Dick narration bubbles talking about how hard it is to be the new Batman. He's already done it.

Sadly this whole ordeal reminds me of the Knightfall story up to when Dick became Batman....it's too bad they're trying to pretend this is all an original concept. :whatever:

Ah, so you were the guy that liked jackpot. Marvel was saying someone did, but I just thought you were a myth like giants or Iowa.

Well, I never said I liked Jackpot, just that I had been following her for the last year. For me, it was not bad, not great. I didn't hate her, but I didn't love her either. It's just this story was told nicely, and it "puts her soul to rest" nicely. I recommend giving it a quick read at your shop; but, I really recommend picking up the issue for the great Amazing Spider-Girl story.

Sadly this whole ordeal reminds me of the Knightfall story up to when Dick became Batman....it's too bad they're trying to pretend this is all an original concept. :whatever:

Yep, reading DC comics is like revisiting early 90's DC. Superman currently has it's titles split up with four different superheroes, just like after Death Of Superman with Steel, Supergirl, and Superboy. Battle For The Cowl is just like Knightfall, even resurrecting Azrael!

Another complaint I have with DC is how they must always try to get new interest in their long-standing characters by making new ones, i.e. New Batman, New Green Lantern, and New Green Arrow...all new and younger. I don't want to read about a new Azrael! I don't need a new Vigilante! Now, we have a new Batman...we are on our third Supergirl. Same old DC tricks, just a different year. (At least Blackest Night is looking pretty damn interesting!)

Yeah, I'll probably buy the issue for that alone. What were the other stories?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"