Box Office 2019

lime

Movie critic
Reaction score
OK, the vote is on. Who will be the BO king in 2019?

PS: I have listed the only films that truly have a shot if being BO king.

Looking at that list i would have them in this order.

1. Avengers: End Game - 2B
2. The Lion King - 1.5B
3. Star Wars: Episode IX - 1.4B
4. Godzilla: KOTM - 1.1B
5. Frozen 2 - 1B
6. Toy Story 4- 1B
7. Spider-Man: FFH - 900M
8. Captain Marvel - 800M
9. Aladdin - 750M

Its a 3 way tie, A:EG, SW : Ep IX or Lion King. Others will come close, Spiderman & TS4 for example but in terms of threatening for number 1 spot, it's on those three.

Avengers or Star Wars. I'm betting Star Wars. Avengers Infinity War domestically fell behind Black Panther, but made up for it worldwide. Star Wars is strong both domestically and worldwide, not to mention they will make a very big deal out of it being the last of the episode films which will likely help it a lot. If Infinity War performed better domestically, would have said Endgame - but considering it wasn't at the top this year, I see something happening similarly next year as well.

For fans, Endgame is the conclusion to 10 years - for general audiences it's another Avengers film. Star Wars, as said - I wouldn't be surprised if they publicize it heavily as the last episode film. We know there's more, general audiences don't.

Last edited:
Avengers and Lion King are going to completely wreck shop. I honestly believe this could be the first year ever where we have two films crossing $2B WW. Captain Marvel, Spider-Man: Far From Home, Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2 could all cross the $1B mark aswell. Star Wars: Episode 9 is the only one I'm really not sure of, but it should make a lot of money regardless.

Avengers is going clean house.

Outside of Disney, WB and Sony are going to rake in the cash next year. Their 2019 lineups are stellar.

Star Wars.

Endgame won't make as much as Infinity War.

A month-by-month look:

January: A slow month as usual. Glass will be probably be the biggest movie this month

February: Biggest movie this month might be any of the two animated movies released; How to Train Your Dragon:The Hidden World or The LEGO Movie 2. A wild card is obviously Alita: Battle Angel. It doesn't have any real competiton. But I think it depends on the reception the movie gets and if it can find success in markets like China. Speaking of China, its not impossible that the biggest movie this month turns out to be a Chinese movie, considering they usually release some of their biggest movies in February, in time for the Chinese New Year.

March: If nothing really surprising happens the Disney-onslaught begins this month with Captain Marvel. Dumbo will probably do well also. Although with three of these live-action remakes released very close to each other we might see at least one them maybe underperform somewhat, if not exactly be a flop.

April: Avengers: Endgame. Nuff said. I wouldn't be suprised if it brings a new opening weekend record, considering most superhero-movies beat expectations in 2018. And I think it can beat Avatar domestically.

May: With Avengers gone from this month, May might be a little more open race. But the odds are proably not so high on Disney taking another victory with Aladdin. I don't see anything else having a realistic chance reaching a billion worldwide. But, as I said before, having three of these live action remakes so close to each other might affect one or more of them. And some other movies might overperform.

June: Toy Story 4

July: The Lion King. Unless people are really tired of these live action remakes at this point and there have been a lot of negative feedback for the previous two. But what else is there? Spider-Man I suppose. That feels like a tricky one to predict. On one hand it's the seventh Spider-Man movie in total. On the other hand it's just the second in MCU, and it's the first post-Endgame MCU-movie.

August: Hobbs & Shaw. Sure, spinoffs can go either way, which 2018 showed with the disappointment of Solo and the somewhat surprising success of Venom. But as one of the summer's last big releases it might a good chance to thrive.

September: It: Chapter 2

October: Joker will try to copy Venom's success with an early October-release and why not?

November: Disney likely strikes again with Frozen 2.

December: A year ago I'd say this would be an easy victory for Star Wars. Still think it will win, but especially on international markets the race could be tighter than expected. A movie like the Jumanji-sequel is probably bound to be a much bigger hit in China for example

I'd say apart from Captain Marvel, Spiderman & Godzilla - all the others will cross $1b.

Detective Pikachu making more than any expectations

1) Avengers: End Game
2) The Lion King
3) Detective Pikachu
4) Frozen 2
5) Hobbs and Shaw
6) Toy Story 4
7) Star Wars Ep. 9
8) Spider-Man: Far From Home
9) Shazam
10) Secret Life of Pets 2

There's so many blockbusters releasing next year!! But this is my prediction. Yeah I left off the likes of Joker, Aladdin, Godzilla, It2, Captain Marvel, plus the X-Men films, but I feel none of them will reach the top 10 based on either prior history, bad buzz or r rating. Also left off Jumanji 2 as I'm not sure if it'll be ready in time for 2019. One thing is for sure, 2019 will be a bloodbath!

Last edited:
Endgame. You can dread it, run from it, but destiny arrives all the same.

AHEM! :nono:

You forgot the clear box office winner of 2019, Sonic the Hedgehog!

Universal is about to have a pretty weak 2019, looking at their schedule. Not as bad as what Paramount seems to be offering though, now that studio is just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks. Here's hoping one of those things is a Power Rangers film (preferably a follow up to the 2017 film).

WB and Sony looking good though. Disney will remain #1 though...

1) Avengers: Endgame
2) Frozen 2
3) Star Wars: Episode IX

By the way, Godzilla: King of the Monsters is the only movie on the list that's not made by Disney.

Endgame is the big favourite, followed by TLK and possibly Frozen 2. I think SW also could be a threat if they really give fans what they want.

2) Frozen 2

By the way, Godzilla: King of the Monsters is the only movie on the list that's not made by Disney.
Disney is going to have a crazy year.

If Endgame doesn't get the biggest box office this year, I would count that as a monumental upset on the level of Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson!

2) Frozen 2

The shade at excluding Detective Pikachu! That movie is going to do gangbusters in Asia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"