Shazam Shazam! Box Office Thread | Early Predictions

I didn’t quite follow Shazam’s bo run as I missed the film in theaters and was kinda disappointed to see where it ended up. Because aside from flat out disasters (Fant4stic) or franchises that exhausted all remaining goodwill (Dark Phoenix) it’s rare to see a major cbm miss the 500M mark in this day and age. Especially one that bears the Marvel or DC logo.

That being said the film was released in a very tough spot (which I pointed out prior to its release) and I frankly wonder why WB didn’t push it back to November, leaving the end of the year to DC adaptations instead of cramming it between 2 Marvel juggernauts that where bound to suck the air out of the room. I also think that the very limited marketing push that the movie received impacted its numbers negatively.

All in all its a good thing that they managed to keep the budget on a rather reasonable level because this franchise would have been doa otherwise.

That being said the film was released in a very tough spot (which I pointed out prior to its release) and I frankly wonder why WB didn’t push it back to November, leaving the end of the year to DC adaptations instead of cramming it between 2 Marvel juggernauts that where bound to suck the air out of the room. I also think that the very limited marketing push that the movie received impacted its numbers negatively.
My guess is that the C-suite types at WB really didn't give much of a damn about Shazam. It was this New Line trifle that had been on again/off again for like 15 years and finally got a push during the Snyder heyday, which all those same executives are currently running away from at top speed. It was cheap enough that home video and TV revenues alone would make the production budget back, so the theatrical run was basically gravy. Sure, you might make a little more moving it out of the way of the Endgame steamroller, but again, nobody cared. Get it out, get it over with and forget it existed so we can get on with the new Batman Extended Universe.

Then a funny thing happened: audiences liked it, critics adored it (second only to Wonder Woman on RT) and it made $140/364 million, which is so far WB's second-highest grosser this year behind Detective Pikachu ($143/429). And it cost $50 million less to make and a spent a lot less on marketing than DP. So here we are talking sequels, and maybe that's just because Warners needs something positive to talk about since they've had a pretty miserable year so far, but again, my guess is that they're going back and trying to figure out what they've got and what to do with it, because they didn't have any plans beyond the release. Should be interesting to watch it all shake out.

My guess is that the C-suite types at WB really didn't give much of a damn about Shazam. It was this New Line trifle that had been on again/off again for like 15 years and finally got a push during the Snyder heyday, which all those same executives are currently running away from at top speed. It was cheap enough that home video and TV revenues alone would make the production budget back, so the theatrical run was basically gravy. Sure, you might make a little more moving it out of the way of the Endgame steamroller, but again, nobody cared. Get it out, get it over with and forget it existed so we can get on with the new Batman Extended Universe.

Then a funny thing happened: audiences liked it, critics adored it (second only to Wonder Woman on RT) and it made $140/364 million, which is so far WB's second-highest grosser this year behind Detective Pikachu ($143/429). And it cost $50 million less to make and a spent a lot less on marketing than DP. So here we are talking sequels, and maybe that's just because Warners needs something positive to talk about since they've had a pretty miserable year so far, but again, my guess is that they're going back and trying to figure out what they've got and what to do with it, because they didn't have any plans beyond the release. Should be interesting to watch it all shake out.
Agree with all of this and just to add Shazam was successful (or somewhat successful) in targeting the young fanbase who were mildly interested(/Not interested) in DCEU so far, Asher Angel, Jack Dylan Grazer and Zacharay Levi have their own fanbases who helped to spread good wom about this movie.

And we’re done. Shazam! officially closed Thursday 7/25. Final numbers, pending an eventual OS actual:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $140,371,656 38.5%
+ Foreign: $224,100,000 61.5%
= Worldwide: $364,471,656

Domestic Summary
Opening Weekend: $53,505,326
(#1 rank, 4,217 theaters, $12,688 average)
% of Total Gross: 38.1%
> View All 16 Weekends

Widest Release: 4,306 theaters
Close Date: July 25, 2019
In Release: 112 days / 16 weeks

I’m very happy with the film, but regardless of the budget, disappointed with the revenue brought in.

I don't know. I feel like the numbers are OKAY for its production budget and that its freaking Shazam... but then again Gotg, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Suicide Squad managed to hit the 500 million mark despite not being as well known as the big Marvel/DC names. Suicide Squad wasn't even reviewed well and that didn't matter. I think if Dceu was as consistent as MCU and that each film in the dceu lets the viewers know that they are in the same world especially in marketing, it would have earned so much more. I feel Shazam wouldn't be as remembered in the next couple of years and if a sequel is made, I don't think there would be much hype to it unless there's a DC team up or gimmick. Its definitely in the not terrible but forgettable movies category, imo.

Looks like Shazam ! is doing well at Bluray sales.

Blu-ray Sales, July 14-20: Shazam Transforms Home Media Sales

sz0.jpg

sz1.jpg

:lmao:

There was a lot of confidence for this one. Well, they are making a sequel, so I guess that the low numbers don't matter much...Except that they will probably not give the sequel a budget bump (something it desperately needs).

I disagree.

Part of what gave this movie its charm was how the crew had to work around the restrained budget.

Too often in Hollywood the solution is to throw money at franchises. Keep this at a low budget. It's what made it feel like one of those classic late 80's, early 90's films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"