Box Office 2020

The Euro and Worldwide cups eat up lots of time almost daily, which leads to non die-hard fans to not attend theater showings.

Can't be compared to the NFL or NBA. It's completely different.

I still doubt those sports events have any impact whatsoever.
They are not 24/7 and the people who dont go regurarly to movies woudlnt go to movies anyways.

I watch those events fanatically. They dont block me from seeing movies nor they they prevent the average person from going once to the cinemas.

The final gross of any movie will average out and be the same whether a World Cup or Euro cup is ongoing or not. They only thing that those events affect are the 3day opening weekends.

Nothing else.

People who wont go to the movies because of those events wont go to the movies in the first place.

Its just a myth like the many other myths the CEOs of Hollywood believe that isnt even remotely true imho.

I still doubt those sports events have any impact whatsoever.
They are not 24/7 and the people who dont go regurarly to movies woudlnt go to movies anyways.

I watch those events fanatically. They dont block me from seeing movies nor they they prevent the average person from going once to the cinemas.

The final gross of any movie will average out and be the same whether a World Cup or Euro cup is ongoing or not. They only thing that those events affect are the 3day opening weekends.

Nothing else.

People who wont go to the movies because of those events wont go to the movies in the first place.

Its just a myth like the many other myths the CEOs of Hollywood believe that isnt even remotely true imho.

You don't count, dude. You post on a message board about movies. Casual moviegoers don't have the same necessity to go to the theater when they have a daily distraction, and distributors want more than just fans watching those movies.

Many people go to the theater to pass the time and do something with friends. One week it may be bowling, the other it may be the theater. And when they have something else to follow daily they have something else to follow.

And studios want those who are easily distracted to pay attention to their blockbuster, too. Not that it would flop, but statistically speaking you lose some of the money the companies simply want.

You don't count, dude. You post on a message board about movies. Casual moviegoers don't have the same necessity to go to the theater when they have a daily distraction, and distributors want more than just fans watching those movies.

Many people go to the theater to pass the time and do something with friends. One week it may be bowling, the other it may be the theater. And when they have something else to follow daily they have something else to follow.

And studios want those who are easily distracted to pay attention to their blockbuster, too. Not that it would flop, but statistically speaking you lose some of the money the companies simply want.

First of all i know i dont count.

An i certainly understand the logic of why they move movies.

Im just saying is a pretty bad logic based on no data just reasoning. It assumes too much.

Thats it.

How do you know it's not based on data? :cwink:

I’m probably one of the biggest MCU fans in my area, but I’m also a massive football fan as are my mates. With work and other commitments plus this packed football calendar there wasn’t time to go to the cinema as well. It’s like having a second job for a month lol.

Im mad now that in maryland all our theaters have been ordered closed and gyms too. I love to work out and go see movies and now all Im left with is sitting home and eating snacks and playing video games. Seriously screw this virus for taking away movies

Im mad now that in maryland all our theaters have been ordered closed and gyms too. I love to work out and go see movies and now all Im left with is sitting home and eating snacks and playing video games. Seriously screw this virus for taking away movies

You should be happy about the government making the right decisions and closing down theaters and gyms. In this way people will stop getting infected. Just have a little patience. Be responsible.

Sooner or later you'll be back out. And that doesn't mean you can't use your time in a better way.

I'm working out every single day at home, drawing, reading books and learning how to play chess.

You should be happy about the government making the right decisions and closing down theaters and gyms. In this way people will stop getting infected. Just have a little patience. Be responsible.

Sooner or later you'll be back out. And that doesn't mean you can't use your time in a better way.

I'm working out every single day at home, drawing, reading books and learning how to play chess.

I understand but its nice to get out of the house every once and a while, I like running but its hard when its cold.

I agree with that, but it's a small sacrifice we all need no make for a limited time and a greater good.

We'll all be out of the house enough when this is over.

Highest grossing movies of the year:

1. Bad Boys for Life $415,3 million
2. Sonic the Hedgehog $295,9 million
3. Dolittle $221,7 million
4. Birds of Prey $196,7 million
5. The Gentlemen $110,5 million

Wonder why Onward is missing on Box Office Mojo's worldwide chart.

So, the latest B.O. numbers

1. Bad Boys for Life $425.5 million
2. Sonic the Hedgehog $306.7 million
3. Dolittle $227.9 million
4. Birds of Prey $203.9 million
5. The Invisible Man $124.5 million
6. The Call of the Wild $107.6 million
7. Onward $104 million
8.Bloodshot $29.75 million

In terms of ratio of Worldwide (Box Office / Movie's budget)

1. The Invisible Man $124.5 million
($124 M/ Budget $7 M) = 17.78

2. Bad Boys for Life $425.5 million
($425.4 M / Budget $90 M) = 4.72

3. Sonic the Hedgehog $306.7 million
($306.7 M/Budget $85 M) = 3.6

4. Birds of Prey $203.9 million
($203.9 M/ Budget $84.5 M) = 2.41

5. Dolittle $227.9 million
($227.9 M/ Budget $175 M) = 1.3

6. The Call of the Wild $107.6 million
($107.6 M/ Budget $135 M) = 0.79

7. Bloodshot
($29.75 M/ Budget $45 M) = 0.66

8. Onward $104 million
($104 M/ Budget $175 M) = 0.59

So, Disney's The Call of the Wild and Onward, Universal's Dolittle and Bloodshot are the biggest flops of 2020.

Last edited:
With only about $124 million separating Sonic from BBFL...I can't help but wonder what those numbers would be if Sonic had actually gotten released in China and Japan and instead of delayed.

Still no Onward on BOM:s worldwide chart, but both Mulan and A Quiet Place 2 are there... Weird.

With only about $124 million separating Sonic from BBFL...I can't help but wonder what those numbers would be if Sonic had actually gotten released in China and Japan and instead of delayed.

Was BBFL released in China?

I'm surprised theatersin Japan are still open. Birds of Prey was released there lastweek.

2020 is gonna be the first year in a while with no billion dollar movies

2020 is gonna be the first year in a while with no billion dollar movies

Yeah it's pretty crazy in how many respects this year will go down in history. 2020 will show a gap in many statistics.

On the plus side, future history students will have an easy time remembering 2020 because of the symmetry.

Box officemojo should really update their tallies.

Don't know what's going on at that site. Onward still missing on the worldwide chart. Several older weekend charts are inacccurate and so on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"