Transformers Box Office Thread

Transformer's opening weekend in Japan was absolutely awful, right around 4 million. I read somewhere that it was due to inclimate weather conditions. 2 weekends later and it's at $24 million, so it's pace has obviously picked up there.

Still, giant robots and Japan should be destroying foreign B.O. records. More than likely, the pervasive gun-ho American attitude throughout the movie has turned many non U.S. citizens away.

Transformer's opening weekend in Japan was absolutely awful, right around 4 million. I read somewhere that it was due to inclimate weather conditions. 2 weekends later and it's at $24 million, so it's pace has obviously picked up there.

Still, giant robots and Japan should be destroying foreign B.O. records. More than likely, the pervasive gun-ho American attitude throughout the movie has turned many non U.S. citizens away.

But that's a direct translation in their cartoons, right??? lots of fire power but no one being hurt.

I think it's the realism in the movie.....they want "power ranger" kinda stuff movies....since most kids there probably grew up with the lame power rangers

i think a lot of Japanese might've been turned off by the pro-Americanism in the film especially since Japanese have big egos themselves. Bay said himself he aimed to make the American military look good in this film and they do to us...

...but other countries around the world who are looking down upon us because of the war are probably turned off by Bay's decision to make Americans look like the saviors of the day.

i think a lot of Japanese might've been turned off by the pro-Americanism in the film especially since Japanese have big egos themselves. Bay said himself he aimed to make the American military look good in this film and they do to us...

...but other countries around the world who are looking down upon us because of the war are probably turned off by Bay's decision to make Americans look like the saviors of the day.

I'm not sure...but if they made the film would they want their military as shown to be cowards too? And you know the military has to be in the film because its a giant robot invasion, civilians can't handle those. Can you give me an example how your statement can be true?

Why should the Japs *****. They have huge egos, Americans werent the ones throwing babies in the air and catching them with thier bayonets.

Why should the Japs *****. They have huge egos, Americans werent the ones throwing babies in the air and catching them with thier bayonets.
Leave the political viewpoints to yourself and don't judge people of today by what u assume was done 60 years prior.

On the positive note Transformers will beat POTC 3 in 2 days time, thats a pretty big milestone. Hopefully after Imax release Transformers could challenge for top spot only needing $30 million to top SM3.

Imax should pump it up a lot. Maybe a million?

I'm not sure...but if they made the film would they want their military as shown to be cowards too? And you know the military has to be in the film because its a giant robot invasion, civilians can't handle those.
there are plenty of monster movies with examples on how to limit the military scenes while still showing that they can kick @$$. i can't think of any off the top of my head but the military doesn't HAVE to be a big part of the movie in order for the movie to feel believable.

Can you give me an example how your statement can be true?
which statement? there are like, 3 in that post. at any rate, i'm not arguing this as a definite...i'm just trying to figure out why it didn't do as well as we thought it would in Japan.

there are plenty of monster movies with examples on how to limit the military scenes while still showing that they can kick @$$. i can't think of any off the top of my head but the military doesn't HAVE to be a big part of the movie in order for the movie to feel believable.
Godzilla. The one with Mathew Brodrich. (sp)

Imax should pump it up a lot. Maybe a million?

I gotta believe the IMAX thing will be good for at the very least another 10-15 million from die hard fans that have to see the extra footage, and the opportunity to see it on that big of a screen in digital format, and with the best sound ever.

I wouldn't be surprised if it tacked on enough to become the #1 film of the year!

Godzilla. The one with Mathew Brodrich. (sp)

eh...it's not exactly the best movie, but it DOES show how you can include the military while, storytelling wise, keeping them at.....BAY.....

...get it? Bay? like....Michael Bay!!! *cricket, cricket* geez...tough crowd.

WTF!? I loved Godzilla. Don't make me destroy you....

which statement? there are like, 3 in that post. at any rate, i'm not arguing this as a definite...i'm just trying to figure out why it didn't do as well as we thought it would in Japan.

As I said above, it jump started late. The first weekend was a bomb ($4 million), but it's made another $20 million since then. So the the pace has definitely picked up in the last two weeks. Lets just see how it ends up doing when it's all said and done.

Maybe because there are no Japanese cars as Transformers? the only bot that could've been of asian make in the movie was Frenzy..

I wasn't really arguing, I just want you to explain yourself further by giving a sample movie.
I watch a lot of Japanese robot cartoons and a lot of them have their military involve. The military of course is ineffective because this are Giant size (voltron size) robots. even G1 cartoons have military in them but the robot seem to be immune to human weapos. That's the way you can have the military not involve much by making them ineffective.

But the TF movie is trying to be realistic by making humans a credible threat, too, by saying that we figured out their weakness-which is not really impossible because they were studying Megatron for a long time, and our technology/weapons is reversed engineered from megatron. So our new weapons of war are actually cybertronians in origin, really. This plot(of humans being a threat to TF) for me and to some people makes the movie more interesting.

I wasn't really arguing, I just want you to explain yourself further by giving a sample movie.
I watch a lot of Japanese robot cartoons and a lot of them have their military involve. The military of course is ineffective because this are Giant size (voltron size) robots. even G1 cartoons have military in them but the robot seem to be immune to human weapos. That's the way you can have the military not involve much by making them ineffective.

But the TF movie is trying to be realistic by making humans a credible threat, too, by saying that we figured out their weakness-which is not really impossible because they were studying Megatron for a long time, and our technology/weapons is reversed engineered from megatron. So our new weapons of war are actually cybertronians in origin, really. This plot(of humans being a threat to TF) for me and to some people makes the movie more interesting.

I think it was acceptable for the first Transformers, but in the sequel the decepticons need to be much less vulnerable to human/conventional attacks otherwise the feeling of the Decepticons being a real threat will be negligible and the movie will become a two hour explosion fest. I, personally, want to see the second Transformers be a better film than the first (better story, better character development, better autobot vs. decepticon action).

Yeah, but they weren't that vulnerable. But I am sure their armor will regrow stronger and be harder to destroy.

I think it was acceptable for the first Transformers, but in the sequel the decepticons need to be much less vulnerable to human/conventional attacks otherwise the feeling of the Decepticons being a real threat will be negligible and the movie will become a two hour explosion fest. I, personally, want to see the second Transformers be a better film than the first (better story, better character development, better autobot vs. decepticon action).

That's the only way it can beat TF1 in the BO.

TF may outgross AWE domestically by the end of Friday.

If it beats Shrek the third, it would of passed Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (1st Film in series), LOTR: Fellowship of the ring (1st film in series), 2 POTC movies. This shows that transformers is on par with some big franchises which is good news for all fans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"