Transformers Box Office Thread

Well DMC, and X-3 are examples of lack luster sequels that still managed to outgross the originals.

Well DMC, and X-3 are examples of lack luster sequels that still managed to outgross the originals.

DMC? I don't know what movie that is because I'm not familiar with that acronym. X3 wasn't nearly as good as the first two, so yeah I agree with you there. But, take away the opening weeks of both movies, and X2 out grossed X3. So I think X3 was riding a wave of good will built up from the first two movies, but after that opening weekend it was shot to hell. The same with Spiderman 3. Take away it's opening weekend and that movie essentially bombed vs. the first two.

Dead Man's Chest.

You are also not thinking in current ecomomic movie trends. You can't say take away their opening weekends etc. because ALL blockbusters make 70% to 80% in their first 2 weeks of their release at least domestically. That's why movies rarely go past 2 weeks at the top of the weekend charts.

You're right; but I'm saying that in order for TF2 to outperform TF1, it needs to be an all around better film or it won't do nearly as well as the original... like Spiderman 3.
Well most people feel SM2 was better than SM3. So basically, it comes down to the hype and special effects.

they'd be looking at $20 million max from, er, IMAX. b/c it's already run its coarse for most people. simultaneously released, it could have done $30 million in IMAX theaters, but 4 months later(?), it's more likely to look like $12-$15 million.

But I'll see it if I get the chance. Closest IMAX is 2 hours away for me.

As of March 2007, there were 280 IMAX theatres in 38 countries (60 percent of these are located in the U.S and Canada). And theaters can be anywhere from 4-6 times larger than your typical theatre.

That's almost the equivalent of adding 1000 theatre capacity.

I totally agree with their marketing on this. The people who originally saw TF opening night would've seen it on IMAX if available...this would only provide a 25% receipt increase (12 instead of 9). Now that they are providing IMAX now, you get your original opening day crowd back for yet another round. What die hard fan is not going to go back and see this FX tour de force on the baddest screen available? Not only that, but they weren't going to try and compete with HP 3D for ticket sales...

They will get 2 types of customers from this move.
1. Die hards that have to see it on IMAX (me)
2. People who really like IMAX and decide to pick the coolest film playing (which is what i did with Batman Returns and got hooked on IMAX at Navy Pier in Chicago)

Granted there are only 2 showings a night with IMAX but there is no other competition in the IMAX theatres now...so I'm going to go out on a limb and say it does 20-25 mil domestic in IMAX and another 15-20 in other countries.

But what do i know...

TF2 will be one of those movies that keeps breakign records, regardless of how good or bad it is. That will determine the fate of the 3rd film.

^Every year a movie just seems to capture my imagination completely and is a movie i just watch over and over, in 2005 it was Batman Begins, in 2006 it was Superman Returns, this year it is undoubtedly Transformers.

Agreed, the best movie this year IMO.
its the best summer blockbuster of the last 5 years IMO.
and thats why i htink it deserves money. i am all for directors ho want to make first the movies for themself. i respect that. but i also want sometimes movies that were made formasses. for fun. and thats that kind of movie.

i can not belive how many people enjoyed this movie.

for the sequel i hope for a more serious story and it would be cool if htey wouldnt rush it. a better editor and maybe a little more logic behind the story.

its the best summer blockbuster of the last 5 years IMO.
and thats why i htink it deserves money. i am all for directors ho want to make first the movies for themself. i respect that. but i also want sometimes movies that were made formasses. for fun. and thats that kind of movie.

i can not belive how many people enjoyed this movie.

for the sequel i hope for a more serious story and it would be cool if htey wouldnt rush it. a better editor and maybe a little more logic behind the story.

I wouldnt say best of the last 5 years, as IMO, there simply have been better. However, i would say its the most entertaining movie for a good while.

I wouldnt say best of the last 5 years, as IMO, there simply have been better. However, i would say its the most entertaining movie for a good while.
i respect that.
whats your best entertaining summer movie that you watched in the last 5 years?
mine is TF.
i dont count BB because its a masterpiece in the comicbook category :woot:
yeah i know i am overreacting but nolan is a god that made one mistake(only if it is really paint) :cwink:

^Every year a movie just seems to capture my imagination completely and is a movie i just watch over and over, in 2005 it was Batman Begins, in 2006 it was Superman Returns, this year it is undoubtedly Transformers.

With all respect , I disaree , Superman was a bloody joke , it was a shame to everythin Chis Reeve had done

I can't agree with Superman Returns either.

I thought Superman Returns was OK.... but way over the heads of lots of people. If Superman (the original) came out today it would probably have gotten the same negative reaction. Nowadays, you either need to make a low IQ movie like Transformers or wrap up an intelligent movie in lots and lots of kung fu like The Matrix.

i respect that.
whats your best entertaining summer movie that you watched in the last 5 years?
mine is TF.
i dont count BB because its a masterpiece in the comicbook category :woot:
yeah i know i am overreacting but nolan is a god that made one mistake(only if it is really paint) :cwink:

I'd say the likes of Return Of The King and X2 were more entertaining than TF and better movies altogether. However since then, i would say TF is the most entertaining movie to come out, just not the best.

With all respect , I disaree , Superman was a bloody joke , it was a shame to everythin Chis Reeve had done

No problem, i disagree with you, i never liked the Reeve movies too much, or Superman for that matter, but SR was fantastic IMO and made me a full blown Superman fan, i read the comics regularly now were as i had never read one before in my life before watching SR.

I don't mean to change the subject but, has anyone seen Nosebleed lately. I haven't seen his name in a long time. Did something happen to him?

I don't mean to change the subject but, has anyone seen Nosebleed lately. I haven't seen his name in a long time. Did something happen to him?

NB's back. Check the Jazz Lounge. I'm sure you'll figure it out. :cwink:

NB's back. Check the Jazz Lounge. I'm sure you'll figure it out. :cwink:

I'm still around. Not as nosebleed but its still me.

I'm pretty damned surprised at the success Transformers has had. I really didn't think it would surpass Pirates. And keeping ahead of Harry Potter is no small feat either. I'm bumping my old thread in remembrance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"