Transformers Box Office Thread

Just saw it. The showing at 7:30 PM was sold out and when I got out the line was long. Looks like another 25-30 today too. The movie was pure entertainment that's for sure. Aside from reminding me of the A-Team on steroids I enjoyed it more than all the movies I saw this year except for 300 & Shooter. Why did I say A-Team on Steroids? Because it didn't matter how devastation the explosion or destruction was...it didn't really cause many casualties at all after the opening sequence. I realize must be kid friendly so I can understand some of the childish dialogue and goofy narrative. Overall 8.5/10 for me. I thought Transformers at PG-13 was more geared towards kids then the PG Rise of the Silver Surfer. Though I liked Transformers better...but only very so slightly better cause the Silver Surfer as a character just ruled and was probably the best character from any comic ever put on screen. Good fun and I will bring my kids to see Trasnformers next time because it was totally sanitized. I could just imagine an R rated version of that storyline.

Ok well it looks like even though my theatre was packed things are coming back to Earth a bit at least with today's Box Office. I'd guess Fri & Sat should still be strong but by Sunday everyone who wanted to see Transformers will have seen it at least once if not twice. Second weekend drop off could still be huge.

Advice & Analysis: Weekly Tracking

Advice & Analysis: Reviews

July 02, 2007

<H3 class=entry-header>EXCLUSIVE THURSDAY ESTIMATES: 'Transformers' dips 37% to $18.31M - 3 1/2-day cume is $84M; Exit surveys show 90% of moviegoers rate 'Transformers' Excellent or Very Good; 'Ratatouille' adds $7.24M; 'Die Hard 4' slides to $3.37M</H3><H3 class=author-header>by Steve Mason</H3>After Wednesday’s box office fireworks, Thursday was destined to be much quieter, but it was still a relatively strong day across the board. Transformers (Dreamworks/Paramount) followed up its $29M+ Independence Day with an estimated $18.31M, down about 37%. The Hasbro-inspired, Michael Bay-directed picture now has a massive 3 1/2 day cume of $84M. Disney/Pixar’s Ratatouille dipped an only 29% to something on the order of $7.24M. That’s an excellent hold for Remy and company, and the animated masterpiece is just shy of $80M domestic. Old man John McClane and Die Hard 4 (Fox) took a steeper 44% drop to an estimated $3.37M on Thursday. Live Free or Die Hard’s domestic haul is now just over $66M.
The horribly-reviewed Robin Williams-Mandy Moore comedy License to Wed (Warner Bros) managed only $2.13M, and its 3-day gross of $7.3M isn’t a good omen for the coming weekend. In all, 7 movies grabbed $1M or more on Thursday, and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End (Buena Vista) added an estimated $644,000, and it’s now within $1.4M of the magical $300M mark.
Looking ahead to the weekend, one of my sources passed along some exit survey data for Transformers. I’m told that 90% of those surveyed rate the blockbuster as Excellent or Very Good. That’s a staggering percentage in the top 2 boxes. There are a couple of other interesting wrinkles in the exit polls.
The softest quadrant in industry tracking has been, not surprisingly, Females 25 Plus. Let’s face it, Transformers is a "guy movie", and adult females have demonstrated the least interest in seeing the Autobots and Decepticons go to war. On the way out of theatres however, the quadrant with the highest percentage that will Definitely Recommend the movie is Females 25 Plus. Also, the massive Monday-Thursday turnout has been mostly a traditional moviegoing audience as opposed to a family film audience. It may be that Ratatouille is the First Choice of those looking for a family movie. If that same crowd starts showing up for Transformers this weekend, the grosses could be even bigger than expected in the next few days.
One studio exec that I spoke to about Transformers this evening is looking for $26M Friday, $28M Saturday and $21M Sunday. That would be a $75M 3-day weekend and 7-day take of $159M. That seems a bit high to me, but $150M+ is a real possibility. EXCLUSIVE FANTASY MOGULS EARLY THURSDAY ESTIMATES
1. Transformers (Dreamworks/Paramount) – $18.31M – down 37% [$84M cume]
2. Ratatouille (Buena Vista) – $7.24M – down 29% [$79.8M cume]
3. Live Free or Die Hard (Fox) – $3.37M down 44% [$66.4M cume]
4. License To Wed (Warner Bros) – $2.13M – down 28% [$7.3M cume]
5. Evan Almighty (Universal) – $1.87M - down 34% [$69.7M cume]
6. 1408 (MGM/Weinstein) – $1.4M – down 13% [$46.5M cume]
7. Knocked Up (Universal) –$1.02M – down 23% [$126.7M cume]
8. Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (Fox) – $891,000 – down 40% [$118.6M cume]
9. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End (Buena Vista) - $644,800 – down 22% [$298.6M cume]
10. Ocean’s Thirteen (Warner Bros) – $657,800 – down 41% [$105.4M cume]
11. Sicko (Lionsgate/Weinstein) – $626,400 – down 46% [$7.8M cume]
12. Evening (Focus) – $551,300 – down 31% [$5.4M cume]

http://www.fantasymoguls.com

Ok well it looks like even though my theatre was packed things are coming back to Earth a bit at least with today's Box Office. I'd guess Fri & Sat should still be strong but by Sunday everyone who wanted to see Transformers will have seen it at least once if not twice. Second weekend drop off could still be huge.

http://www.fantasymoguls.com

If that number holds, that is very good for Transformers. It was expected to drop between 40-45%. It looks like it's heading for a 60-70 million weekend and that's not bad at all considering it opened 3-4 days ago. I'm very happy with these numbers.

worst case scenario

week 1 = 150 m
week 2 = 60 m (60% drop)
week 3 = 27 m (55% drop)
week 4 = 12 m (55% drop)
week 5 = 5 m(55% drop)
remaining weeks = 10 m

total = 265 m

265 m is the very least Transformers will make in the US.

best case scenario

week 1 = 155 m
week 2 = 78 m (50% drop)
week 3 = 42 m (45% drop)
week 4 = 23 m (45% drop)
week 5 = 13 m (45% drop)
week 6 = 7 m (45% drop)
week 7 = 4 m (45% drop)
week 8 = 2 m (45% drop)
final weeks = 5 m

total = 329 m

329 m is the maximum TF could make.

so the range is 265-329 m. I expect it to cross 300 m.

well 45% drops are not the best case scenario at all ...for example Knocked Up has/had 28-30% drops...so the best case scenario would be 370-380...will it make it ? probably not,but with the word of mouth it's getting it woudnt suprize me at all.

someone should modify the thread title, the figure is changing all the time.

Wow...I expected Thursday to be a lot less, so that's really really good...

That's a really good hold. Looks like it could make over $70M this weekend.

This film will make some serious BO cash this weekend. Bet the house on it.....

This movie will make at laset 300 mil domestic . It will be the surprise hit of year.

^ I still don't see 300 for this. Spidey 3 is barely at 335 and had 2 weeks with no cometition and made over 150 in the first 3 days. If it can pull in a massive Fri and Sat then it should help it soar past 250 but 300 will depend on week 2 and Harry Potter.\

Here's Thursday's #'s
Thursday, July, 5, 2007

Transformers 19.3 84.9
Ratatouille 7.9 80.6
Live Free or Die Hard 3.6 66.8
License to Wed 2.2 7.4
Evan Almighty

200's international..? I see that. Is it opening up over the weekend overseas, or are they waiting a few weeks? I know it opened in Austalia before the US but is that it for now?

well 45% drops are not the best case scenario at all ...for example Knocked Up has/had 28-30% drops...so the best case scenario would be 370-380...will it make it ? probably not,but with the word of mouth it's getting it woudnt suprize me at all.
u gotta take into account, the bigger the gross the previous weekend, the bigger the drop will be the next, its simple statistics

if transformers makes $400 million this weekend, no way in hell its making $200 mill the next weekend, etc

200's international..? I see that. Is it opening up over the weekend overseas, or are they waiting a few weeks? I know it opened in Austalia before the US but is that it for now?

International Release Dates (according to IMDB)

About a dozen countries had it around the 28th of June.

What you'll usually find though is that it takes a while for the data to come trickling in. The income is already there, but places like Box Office Mojo have yet to be updated with the details.

Thursday numbers: 19,335,000 !!!!! 84,921,000 after 3 and a half days!!!

My god this is awesome!!!

http://showbizdata.com/dailybox.cfm

holy shnikeys!!! that's effin' awesome! i made sure to deposit my $7 for Fri. night. the theater i was in was packed so i'm sure Fridays numbers will push it past $100 without a problem.....and that's not even counting Saturday or Sunday...

This movie will make at laset 300 mil domestic . It will be the surprise hit of year.

Surprise hit? Its not a surprise hit because from the get-go, pretty much EVERYONE expected this movie to make some serious cash. But 300 mil? Considering the competition this summer? Doubt it.

I'm placing my bets in the 250-260 range.

no care much about the box office, I am waiting for TF2 already now.

Surprise hit? Its not a surprise hit because from the get-go, pretty much EVERYONE expected this movie to make some serious cash. But 300 mil? Considering the competition this summer? Doubt it.

I'm placing my bets in the 250-260 range.

It'll be over $150 million after Sunday - not even seven full days in release. You think the drop off will be that bad?

LOOKS LIKE MY EARLIER PREDICTION MAY BE SPOT ON WITH THE $160M I PREDICTED, I PREDICTED IT WOULD MAKE BETWEEN $160M-$200M BY LATE SUNDAY EARLY MONDAY, MAN I'M GOOD!!!:o:oldrazz::D:up:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=21787

Transformers Crosses $100 Million!
Source: ShowBiz Data, The Weekend Warrior
July 7, 2007

In just four and a half days, Michael Bay's Transformers has crossed the $100 million mark, adding an additional $22.4 million on Friday to put it ahead of the established Pixar film Ratatouille and Bruce Willis action sequel Live Free or Die Hard in terms of box office gross. Its first Friday is pointing to a three-day weekend in the range of $62 to 65 million.

The Robin Williams headlined romantic comedy License to Wed had its best day, earning $3.7 million on Friday, pointing to a weekend of roughly $10 to 11 million, though the best it can do is fourth place for the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"