Brüno......

I enjoyed it. I didn't bust a gut laughing for most of it, but I got quite a few laughs from it nonetheless. It was enjoyable, but nothing special.

My favourite sequence was the hunting trip.

6/10.

I was weary of seeing it based on what I've been hearing, but I gave it a shot because I generally think Cohen is funny (never saw Ali G but I liked him in Talladega Nights, Sweeney Todd, and Borat), and I liked it.

I liked it for the exact opposite reasons that I'm sure many did though. I find it quite amusing that some actually think this film makes a strong statement about prejudice and homophobia; as though it's really out of line to resent the behavior of someone that publically shoves their sexuality in your face to the point of dropping their pants in front of you and rubbing their crotch up against someone that's obviously not interested.

and saying things like "that baby looks ******ed, either give it up or abort it," and having a bunch of typical whiney liberals talk about what an important issue global warming is when they clearly don't have a freaking clue what they're talking about...

Most of the responses to Bruno's sexuality and overall demeaner, sans the most extreme examples where he has to go to the most blatantly hateful parts of the country to find, are just natural reactions to obviously crude, inappropriate behavior.
I'd have found this film more offensive if I were gay person, or an extreme liberal, since that's who's made to look foolish here.

Not sure if it's quite as funny as Borat or not, it comes closer than I expected though.

But....i'm pretty sure the one's who hated Bruno werent liberal...but more hardcore republican.....

And his obviously crude behavior warrents resentment...and as I said, other than the most extreme examples, most didn't hate him, they simply found his conduct extremely inappropriate, which it obviously was.

I know exactly what Cohen and company were trying to do, and I think they did the exact opposite.

No, I think he did exacly what he set out to do. The straight dave scene is a perfect example.

Yeah, that scene is a perfect EXTREME example; that's why I said that the film only succeeds at what it intends in the most EXTREME cases. Most that didn't approve of the behavior didn't come across negatively at all...and the liberal side, which is what tends to agree with what the film is promoting, looks foolish on various occassions.

eh it was alright nothing great at all though - da ali g was much much better

The straight Dave scene.. mocking UFC fights, in which straight guys huddle around two sweaty fighters, that roll all over eachother. They got what they wanted .. ? >D!!!

I find that pretty damned funny.

This movie was brilliant. It showed how stupid people can be, and how afraid rednecks are of their own sexuality. The karate, camp, party, and mind-reader scene were hysterical. I'm not sure if I liked this more than Borat, this was much more shocking and enlightening. 8/10

The straight Dave scene.. mocking UFC fights, in which straight guys huddle around two sweaty fighters, that roll all over eachother. They got what they wanted .. ? >D!!!

I find that pretty damned funny.

That 1 dude almost cried haha

The funny thing about the straight dave cage match scene was that if they had actually engaged in gay sex moves the audience there would have probably been oblivious and just assumed they were regular cage fighting lmao

This movie was nuts. I loved every second of it though. So with Ali G, Borat, and Bruno retired (well, the latter soon to be retired) what comes next for Cohen?

I think he should wait awhile before he does another character. it would be interesting to see what he comes up with. Some people say he would lose steam if he tries to do something liek this again but i think he has another one in him.

Bruno has a boring trailer. I haven't seen the movie yet, but from what I read, I know it's not going to be anywhere near as enjoyable as Borat.

Its not. Plus, Bruno isnt as likeible as Borat. IMO anyway.

Borat was just ignorant, where Bruno is just an idiot. But still...good stuff.

"So, abort, yes or no?"

LOLOLOLSkates.

But....i'm pretty sure the one's who hated Bruno werent liberal...but more hardcore republican.....

lol............it's not about what political alignment one is in judging this movie, not for people outside of the US anyway. It's about wanting clever and subtle comedy (which Sacha has been excellent at before this movie), which this movie was for the most part devoid of.

I'm sorry, but I just don't find a big flopping penis on screen for more than 10 seconds funny.

He couldn't even make the hicks and Ron Paul look like idiots without resorting to tactics that to be honest anyone would be freaked out by. The hicks surprisingly showed some restraint until Sacha had to resort to getting naked and approach them with condoms in darkest night. Again, I find it hard to believe that anyone wouldn't be freaked out by that. That goes for republican and democrat.

This movie had some pretty funny parts to be sure, but the plot (what little there was) felt a bit recycled from Borat. Towards the end I thought the social satire got better, but in the first half of the film it was all about shocking people. I would have prefered more of what we got in the last half of the film. 6/10.

I was weary of seeing it based on what I've been hearing, but I gave it a shot because I generally think Cohen is funny (never saw Ali G but I liked him in Talladega Nights, Sweeney Todd, and Borat), and I liked it.

I liked it for the exact opposite reasons that I'm sure many did though. I find it quite amusing that some actually think this film makes a strong statement about prejudice and homophobia; as though it's really out of line to resent the behavior of someone that publically shoves their sexuality in your face to the point of dropping their pants in front of you and rubbing their crotch up against someone that's obviously not interested.

and saying things like "that baby looks ******ed, either give it up or abort it," and having a bunch of typical whiney liberals talk about what an important issue global warming is when they clearly don't have a freaking clue what they're talking about...

Most of the responses to Bruno's sexuality and overall demeaner, sans the most extreme examples where he has to go to the most blatantly hateful parts of the country to find, are just natural reactions to obviously crude, inappropriate behavior.
I'd have found this film more offensive if I were gay person, or an extreme liberal, since that's who's made to look foolish here.

Not sure if it's quite as funny as Borat or not, it comes closer than I expected though.

I think you're both right, to an extent. Bruno was far more abrassive than Borat. I think even the most liberal straight person in the world would become upset if someone like Bruno walked up to them and started rubbing against them or taking off their pants and trying to have sex with them. I mean, hell, even those hunters were fairly tolerant (albeit, uncomfortable) until Bruno tried to enter their tent naked. On the other hand, there was also a lot of prejuidice that Bruno displayed without trying too hard. Still, in the end, I think the difference between Bruno and Borat is that Borat threw fuel into fires that were already lit where as Bruno created entirely new fires.

It makes me mad that the trailer had a lot of stuff that wasn't in the movie. Overall it was funny but not great. Borat was great but this was the same thing but less memorable. But, if you want a laugh then you will get it:up:

7/10

I was just looking at the first page...so did they film a scene with Ben Affleck or was that all just rumor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"