Discussion: UK Politics

“When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles. When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles.”
~Frank Herbert

The circle of political life. :D

European elections 2019: Brexit Party dominates as Tories and Labour suffer

The Brexit Party was the clear winner in the UK's European elections, with the pro-EU Lib Dems coming second.

The Conservatives and Labour suffered heavy losses, with the former expected to get less than 10% of the vote.

Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage said he was ready to "take on" the Tories and Labour in a general election.

Overall, out of 64 MEPs declared so far, Mr Farage's party has won 28, the Lib Dems 15, Labour 10, Greens seven, the Tories three and Plaid Cymru one.

Mr Farage told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "With a big, simple message - which is we've been badly let down by two parties who have broken their promises - we have topped the poll in a fairly dramatic style.

"The two party system now serves nothing but itself. I think they are an obstruction to the modernising of politics... and we are going to take them on."
_107118722_overview-nc.png

There were also big losses for Macron & Merkel's parties.

the Brexit racist party have only 7% more votes than when Farage ran UKIP.... getting annoying already seeing headlines like 'Brexit party storms out of nowhere'

the Brexit racist party have only 7% more votes than when Farage ran UKIP.... getting annoying already seeing headlines like 'Brexit party storms out of nowhere'

Loves a bit of spin does our Nige

I saw some media commentator say that using no deal as a bargaining chip against the EU is like holding a gun to your own head and saying you will shoot if you don't get what you want. 40% of our trade is with the EU and no deal would mean restrictions on the UK over night. Economic suicide.

Any new Conservative leader would have 3 months before the EU's latest leave date at the end of October to hash about a deal and get it through parliament. This seems highly unlikely.
Media loves anything that stirs the pot.

I mean, all the vultures will be eagerly going after the UK.

I can't see Trump being around when we finally resolve this Brexit Mess

any PM that gives up control to the NHS will be replaced at the next election.

Why the hell would Trump need access to the NHS? That is the National Health Service, right? Does he want to **** over their healthcare like he has done in the US?

Not exactly a surprise.

Some of the pro-Brexit no deal advocates have stated from day one that they want Britain out the EU so that they can privatize and corporate raid the **** out of the country. Opportunity in chaos. Pretty much how the Russian oligarchs came to power during the collapse of the soviet union. A handful of wealthy young men cut informal deals with corrupt USSR officials to buy up state property and assets on the cheap in return for their support.

Some of those vocal conservative Brexit mob want the same thing. Get rid of any regulations, governing bodies, trading standards and laws that prevent them buying up the countries assets and securing vast sums of wealth/power for themselves.

And will probably go down as one of if not the worst PM's ever.

I am very rarely surprised in politics anymore but this would be a colossal shock to see a PM basically privatise the NHS.

Why the hell would Trump need access to the NHS? That is the National Health Service, right? Does he want to **** over their healthcare like he has done in the US?

Because he’s not making the rich richer quickly enough by screwing over the sick in the US and wants to go global...

And will probably go down as one of if not the worst PM's ever.

I am very rarely surprised in politics anymore but this would be a colossal shock to see a PM basically privatise the NHS.

Tories have been trying it for years and are basically doing it piecemeal...

Do you know what? Up until 2016 I would be 100% with you and I'd have thought it would end a party, but now? If you spun it that you no longer have to pay for scroungers to have cosmetic surgery (hello Dailly Mail) you could get a backing.

Farage is pro medical insurance and being backed by a bloke who has made his fortune in insurance and look at the brexit party success

People acting like Farage is a legitimate thing..... he's a flash in the pan. i give it a year and he's buggered off somewhere

People acting like Farage is a legitimate thing..... he's a flash in the pan. i give it a year and he's buggered off somewhere

Pray you're right mate. No doubt he'll return to heckling from the sidelines right when he will have to do something if substance. I just hope after that he fades into obscurity.

The thing about Farage is he will do fine in these smaller, protesty votes, when people don't show up. A proper election? He'll hurt theTories a bit, but not much else. What is killing me is Corbin right now. He should just be leading the charge on a People's Vote, but he continues to waffle and that is why the Lib Dems are a thing again.

The Lib Dems won't truly be 'a thing again' until Cable steps down, it's like having Dumbledore in charge....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"