Brian K. Vaughan to Write Runaways Movie

Kevin Feige also mentioned that the Captain America movie will be a full on, WWII period piece (awesome), confirmed that that was Cap's shield in Iron Man, and hinted that not all of the Thor movie will take place in Asgard. It seems like Marvel Studio is firing on all cylinders right now. :up:

So, I called it when I told my friends that the first Avenger movie would start with Steve getting pulled out of the ice. Sweet!

Next is casting. But will they pull it off?

Next is casting. But will they pull it off?

I think so. If Iron Man is any indication, Feige and the rest of Marvel Studios seem to know how to make these translations to the big screen work. I've got a pretty good amount of faith that Captain America, Thor and the Avengers movie(s) won't suck.

The cast of this movie can be selected from a similar themed Tim Allen movie called Zoom.

Great news. I look forward to what Vaughan can do with the Runaways on the big screen. I hope it's a whole new adventure and not necessarily a retelling of the first arc. The only options otherwise are a completely faithful retelling, which is a bit boring, or a slapdash retelling where random bits are changed for the sake of shaking things up, and those always come off as obnoxious and stupid to me. The only truly essential bits of that arc are the characters, the revelation that their parents are supervillains, and the betrayal; Vaughan could craft a new story around those.

If Vaughan goes the faithful adaptation route and keeps the betrayal bit, I think it could be neat to see someone else betray the team. Nico, maybe.

I took this off of wiki so I could comment on a few things:

1) If they were able to keep the proposed release dates of Cap and the Avengers, and the two connect like someone said above, that would be very, very cool. How many times can you see two distinct movies that connect so strongly. (Although, if Cap bombs, it could very easily drag Avengers down with it. But, no guts, no glory.)

2) I'm sure they had other things in mind initially, but I wouldn't mind the Ant-Man movie being The Irredeemable Ant-Man.

3)Runaways is a great property that I think has a lot of appeal outside the normal comic set. I mean, if they advertise it as "kids who find out their parents are supervillains," what kid doesn't feel that way growing up?

4) Marvel studios definately hit it out of the park with Iron Man. I think it surprised a lot of people (props to Robert Downer Jr. He definately was the right ingredient there.) If Hulk can be even moderately successful, I think they've put themselves in a really good position for future projects.

5) I read an interview a while ago where someone (Avi Arad) hinted that Thor would be more Lord of the Rings than Marvel Superhero. At first I was skeptical, but Thor, both Marvel and the myth, have such a rich history and lend themselves to great visuals. If you can find a way to tie that into the MU by the end of the movie, possibly having Odin banish him to the Don Blake form....

In 2005, Variety reported that Marvel themselves will start producing films with Paramount Pictures distributing them. The funding will come from a seven year $525 million revolving credit facility with Merill Lynch. Since the announcement, Marvel's film slate has expanded to include:

Iron Man (2008) - Distributed by Paramount Pictures
The Incredible Hulk (2008) - Distributed by Universal Studios

In development :
Iron Man 2 (2010) - Distributed by Paramount Pictures - April 30, 2010 release[1]
Thor (2010) - Writer Mark Protosevich engaged. - Distributed by Paramount Pictures - June 4, 2010 release[1]
The First Avenger: Captain America (2011) - Distributed by Paramount Pictures - Writer David Self engaged[1] - May 6, 2011 release [2]
The Avengers (2011) - Distributed by Paramount Pictures - Writer Zak Penn engaged[1]- July, 2011 release [3]

Ant-Man - Writers Edgar Wright & Joe Cornish and Director Edgar Wright engaged[1]
Nick Fury - Distributed by Paramount Pictures - Writer Andrew Marlowe engaged - Samuel L. Jackson engaged, has cameo as Fury in Iron Man [1]
Runaways - Distributed by Paramount Pictures
Black Panther - Distributed by Paramount Pictures
Dr.Strange - Distributed by Paramount Pictures
Hawkeye - Distributed by Paramount Pictures
Shang-Chi - Distributed by Paramount Pictures
Cloak and Dagger - Distributed by Paramount Pictures
Power Pack - Distributed by Paramount Pictures

If Vaughan goes the faithful adaptation route and keeps the betrayal bit, I think it could be neat to see someone else betray the team. Nico, maybe.
Meh, then that essentially makes it impossible for any faithful adaptations of future stories.

Meh, then that essentially makes it impossible for any faithful adaptations of future stories.

Eh, no it doesn't. You'd just have to shift some things around. Chase, Molly, Karolina, Xavin, Gert and Vic wouldn't have to change becuase of that. I'd rather have a "spiritual" adaptation rather than a faithful one, anyhow.

Power Pack would have a very high chance of completely sucking. The chances of a director and cast getting that one right are extremely slim. Iron Fist, on the other hand, has the potential to be one of the best comic book movies ever. Just follow Brubaker and Fraction's initial arc, with some 7 Capital Cities of Heaven thrown in, and you've got a perfect Iron Fist movie (or trilogy).

Not all of these movies are for us, per se. Power Pack and Shang-Chi definately have their demographics.

Just for the love of God don't let Joss Whedon write the sequel.

Not all of these movies are for us, per se. Power Pack and Shang-Chi definately have their demographics.

Having a demographic and not sucking are two completely different things, though.

Just for the love of God don't let Joss Whedon write the sequel.

I wouldn't mind seeing Joss direct a BKV penned screenplay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"