Marvel's Runaways coming to Hulu

BatsDC

Side-Kicker
Reaction score
http://cdn.****************.com/wp-content/uploads/runawas2.jpg
EXCLUSIVE: Hulu is getting into the Marvel business with a series order to Runaways, a drama series based on the fan-favorite Marvel Comics books. It comes from Gossip Girl creators Josh Schwartz & Stephanie Savage, Marvel Television and ABC Signature.
Created by Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona, the Runaways comics feature a group of teenagers who discover that their parents are part of an evil crime organization.

Written by Schwartz and Savage, Marvel’s Runaways will tell the story of six diverse teenagers who can barely stand each other but who must unite against a common foe – their parents.

“I’m a long-time fan of Runaways and couldn’t be more excited to bring Brian and Adrian’s characters to life,” said Schwartz. Added Savage, “Josh and I can’t wait to get to work for Marvel and Hulu.”

The book series debuted in 2003 and is still in print with a short break in later 2004 when it was canceled but brought back by popular demand.
The TV adaptation stems from a series of conversations Schwartz and Savage had with executives from Marvel TV over the past year. The project was developed under the overall deal Schwartz and Savage’s Fake Empire had at ABC Studios where Marvel TV also is based.

Coming of age is familiar territory for Schwartz and Savage who created together the successful TV series adaptation of another book series, Gossip Girl. Schwartz also created the coming-of-age Fox drama The O.C.
Hulu logo

“We’ve known the Runaways‘ story would make great television,” said Jeph Loeb, EP and Head of Marvel Television, “and being lucky enough to have Josh and Stephanie — who have time and again created shows that speak so genuinely to this exact audience — write and produce the series is nothing short of remarkable.”

Schwartz and Savage will serve as showrunners of Marvel’s Runaways, which they executive produce with Loeb (Marvel’s Jessica Jones) and Jim Chory (Marvel’s Daredevil) Fake Empire’s Lis Rowinski will produce as well.
Schwartz and Savage also have a TV series based on the Calendar Girl book series in development at Freeform through ABC Signature, Fake Empire is repped by WME.

Marvel TV has Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. on ABC and several series on Netflix, including Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, The Punisher as well as The Defenders.
Deadline

Marvel have also issued a press release:

Marvel Television will be bringing the fan-favorite and ground breaking comic book series, RUNAWAYS, to popular streaming service, Hulu.

Every teenager thinks their parents are evil. What if you found out they actually were? "Marvel's Runaways" is the story of six diverse teenagers who can barely stand each other but who must unite against a common foe--their parents.

"We've known the Runaways' story would make great television," said Jeph Loeb, Executive Producer and Head of Marvel Television, "and being lucky enough to have Josh and Stephanie--who have time and again created shows that speak so genuinely to this exact audience--write and produce the series is nothing short of remarkable."

"I'm a long-time fan of Runaways and couldn't be more excited to bring Brian and Adrian’s characters to life," said Schwartz.

Adds Savage, "Josh and I can't wait to get to work for Marvel and Hulu."

"Marvel’s Runaways" is Executive Produced by series Co-Showrunners/writers Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage ("The O.C.”, “Gossip Girl") along with Marvel’s Head of Television, Jeph Loeb (“Marvel’s Jessica Jones,” “Marvel’s Luke Cage”) and Jim Chory (“Marvel’s Daredevil,” “Marvel’s Jessica Jones.”) "Fake Empire's" Lis Rowinski will produce as well. "Marvel's Runaways" is a co-production with ABC Signature Studios.

"Marvel’s Runaways" for Hulu is based on the comic created by the award-winning team of Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona.
Marvel

I think I'm broken. This is incredibly exciting, but I'm more "Too good to be true."

giphy.gif

tumblr_ntlah5o2ch1sbzhteo1_400.gif

I'm just suprised its on Hulu instead of Netflix, regardless of that I'm still excited.

Cool, I was hoping they would make this.

Glad to see it. Would have preferred Netflix, but whatever, at least we get to see the Runaways at all.

Loved reading these comics. Very fun and unique. Shame it's on Hulu, but I'm glad we are getting it at all.

Comics still on my to read list...was excited for the film many moons ago...maybe now I'll get to the comics...excited for the news.

ETA: Somewhat agree with a comment on the main page...maybe Netflix will be the mature shows and Hulu can be the teen/younger audience? Still early and we don't know how they'll handle the show...but I could dig that...

Marvel said:
Every teenager thinks their parents are evil. What if you found out they actually were? "Marvel's Runaways" is the story of six diverse teenagers who can barely stand each other but who must unite against a common foe--their parents.

Based on this from the press release, it sounds like they are going with an adaptation of Volume 1 with a cast of Alex, Nico, Chase, Karolina, Gert, and Molly.

I hope they get enough of a budget to do Old Lace properly. That's probably my biggest concern with it being a tv show.

Last edited:
Alright. I'm all for this.

Between Cloak and Dagger and Runaways, I feel like Marvel have their teen properties covered for now.

If the Captain Marvel film is successful, I'd like to see a Ms. Marvel show. Power Pack is also presumably next.

If Marvel ever manage to work out a deal with Fox to merge universes/hard reboot the FF, Avengers Academy/Young Avengers and New Warriors would also be nice. And by the time that Marvel and Fox do work out a deal, TV effects will be both cheap enough and presentable enough to handle characters like Darkhawk and Mettle.

Kind of shocked this is on Hulu as well, but this should be good!

I didn't see this one coming.

Looks like Marvel is diversifying who they collaborate with.

Probably the smart move in the long run.

Based on this from the press release, it sounds like they are going with an adaptation of Volume 1 with a cast of Alex, Nico, Chase, Karolina, Gert, and Molly.

I hope they get enough of a budget to do Old Lace properly. That's probably my biggest concern with it being a tv show.

Honestly... there's really only one right way to do this:

[YT]Ul26r2rbhE4[/YT]

Get the best puppeteer with dwarfism to handle Old Lace this way and then CGI out the legs. That's going to give Old Lace the frequency and solid-ness needed to really feel like a family pet and not just a spectacle. I think a more challenging problem would be Karolina with her cascading glowing effect and flight, and to make that feel grounded at the same time.

Volume 1 is the way to go, naturally. It'll be interesting to see how they switch up the twist, if at all. Basically every 18 issues of the comic, imho should be a season. Season 1 leads up to the Gibborim. Season 2 with Victor, Xavin and Pride # 2. Season 3... well, maybe a slightly different angle from the original books, but still would love to see Klara.

I'm thrilled that this will force me to read the comic version first. I'm thrilled that they've talked about this for a long time and it's good to see it happening. I think Hulu is a very good format for it, but I can't say I'm thrilled it's on there since it's another thing to suck up my money.

Honestly... there's really only one right way to do this:

[YT]Ul26r2rbhE4[/YT]

Get the best puppeteer with dwarfism to handle Old Lace this way and then CGI out the legs. That's going to give Old Lace the frequency and solid-ness needed to really feel like a family pet and not just a spectacle. I think a more challenging problem would be Karolina with her cascading glowing effect and flight, and to make that feel grounded at the same time.

Volume 1 is the way to go, naturally. It'll be interesting to see how they switch up the twist, if at all. Basically every 18 issues of the comic, imho should be a season. Season 1 leads up to the Gibborim. Season 2 with Victor, Xavin and Pride # 2. Season 3... well, maybe a slightly different angle from the original books, but still would love to see Klara.
Damn, that Dino looks insane. Something like that would definitely work. Probably better than any type of CGI they can do on a limited budget anyway.

I'm just suprised its on Hulu instead of Netflix, regardless of that I'm still excited.

Smart move for Marvel to not rely just on netflix for their TV series. They have diversified with Freeform and now Hulu.

Hulu also has a big growth strategy to not only try and catch netflix, but also to compete with cable companies by providing Live TV content. It's a smart strategy by Marvel.

meh. I didn't care much about the book but maybe the show will win me over

How so?

Can't wait for this.

Because unlike Ms. Marvel, Power Pack doesn't need a film to land in theaters.

Unlike New Warriors or Avengers Academy, there aren't rights issues with Fox.

If Marvel do another show directed at a younger audience, it's going to be Power Pack since that's the only option left.

This is cool. Of course, the question everyone wants to know is how it connects to the MCU?

Glad to see it. Would have preferred Netflix, but whatever, at least we get to see the Runaways at all.

Netflix has also stated that they don't want to be known as a Marvel channel, meaning they don't want an excess of Marvel shows on their platform.

I wonder what will happen for distribution outside the US, as far as I'm aware Japan is the only country outside the US to get Hulu, all other plans for expansion over the years have been cancelled.

It'll be interesting to see how far they go with this. Like I can see them aging Molly Hayes up a few years at least, but will the cast still be as diverse as it was in the comics? Will Nico still be Asian and have her wacky goth look? Will Karolina be a Lesbian on the show? Will they go into the "gender-fluidity" of Xavin at all, etc?

So, will the Pride send Cloak and Dagger after them by convincing them the runaways kidnapped Molly?

And beyond the first season, will we have a multi-Marvel tv crossover where something happens to Dagger, SHIELD comes after Cloak because they suspect him, Cloak hides with father Lantom from Daredevil and the Runaways try to prove his innocence?

Probably none of that, but who knows.

tumblr_mitvvxoysq1qk1j3lo1_500.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"