Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 1

Discussion in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' started by Thread Manager, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

Apparently Stewart and McKellen haven't signed contracts yet...

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/12/04/patrick-stewart-star-trek-tng-measure-of-a-man/

Still not sure if he's joking or not. He mentions being under contractual obligations in the first question though so that might be the answer to that.

2. venus_ice

venus_ice Well-Known Member

Hahaha oh dear :funny:

3. jaymes_e06

jaymes_e06 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure whether to be excited or confused. :huh:

4. Angamb

Angamb Well-Known Member

Bryan has clearly talked with both actors, guys.

Ian's preview interview confirmed the announcement.

Is Patrick the one to play the ambiguous role now. Fox probably told them to dont say anything yet, even if Bryan revealed the news last week.

5. GuestStar2004

GuestStar2004 Well-Known Member

its true is rare that big news like that gets let out on a twitter page so fox may want to hold back, esp as its still early in production

6. Hawkingbird

Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

Has Macavoy, Fassbender , Holt of Lawrence said anything yet? And any news on other characters like Banshee and Havock (in particular)?

7. Angamb

Angamb Well-Known Member

Fassbender was asked in an interview from last month (I think)

no idea about the rest.

8. X-Maniac

X-Maniac High Evolutionary

I'm more interested as to how futureXavier is going to appear in DoFP, and how Jean Grey is going to appear in The Wolverine, considering what befell them in The Last Stand.

Xavier's body-switch is a bit crazy (and unethical) to explain (it just sounds stupid), even if a body-switch did happen in the comics.

And will people accept the return of the Phoenix, even if fans want it and even if a Phoenix is destined to be reborn according to mythology.

9. Legion

Legion Well-Known Member

I'm betting that this film will borrow elements from X-Men TAS episodes "One Man's Worth". The time traveler from the apocalyptic future will travel to the "present" (Between X2 and X3) to recruit the X-Men to their cause.

I'd also like to see Rachel Summers as the time traveler. I think it would create a lot of speculation as how she came to exist. At the climax of the film the phoenix force can emerge and the X-Men wonder how to handle the threat..

10. BMM

BMM Well-Known Member

Where does the First Class cast fit into that scenario, if the "present" the time traveler visits is between X2 and The Last Stand?

11. X-Maniac

That's a possibility. It then means, of course, that the time traveller and the present-day X-Men will then need to travel back to the 60s. That double time-jump could work. But remember that if it's between the events of X2 and X3, then Jean Grey is apparently dead (in fact, cocooned beneath Alkali Lake).

12. JP

JP Smelly

Interesting to note that some of the first people Singer followed on his twitter account were Hugh, Patrick, and Ian. They're the only alumni he follows. Should also be noted that Paquin, Marsden, Janssen and Berry all do not have official twitter accounts.

13. Legion

Legion Well-Known Member

From that point they travel to the First Class period to stop the assassination.

14. X-Maniac

It would be a neat way of avoiding the difficulties presented by X3, which was far too final for the good of the franchise.

15. Legion

Legion Well-Known Member

I don't imagine all of the original X-Men will return in DOFP..but if you wanted Jean Grey in the movie then the traveler would end up between X1 and X2.

If you were referring to the bit about Rachel Summers, I'm pretty sure Jean was "dead" in the comics as well when she traveled to the present in the comics as well.

16. X-Maniac

Yes indeed. Jean was 'dead' in the comics at the time of Rachel's arrival by time travel.

There would need to be an explanation for why the time traveller stopped off in the present day to recruit more X-Men to go the 60s. Presumably, because the future X-Men were all dead and the traveller wanted to assemble a team/back-up for the mission.

Exciting possibilities!

17. Angamb

Angamb Well-Known Member

I havent read the comics from the 70's and 80's yet, so I have one question:

in the previous comics to Days of future past in 1982, Rachel was already introduced? if so, how? in a future timeline or in present time, with Jean pregnant and with the little baby born in the late 70's?

18. X-Maniac

In DoFP in the comics, Rachel was in the alternate future and was the one who sent Kitty's mind back in time. In the past that Kitty arrived in, Jean was dead.

Rachel later travelled back herself when the time travel didn't change history, discovering they were two timelines.

Rachel was the daughter of Scott and Jean in another future.

19. Angamb

Angamb Well-Known Member

so she always was part of an alternate universe. interesting.

in that case, the fans who read the storyarc back on 1982 and next years should have known since the very first comic that Rachel and the rest of the characters were part of an alternate future, right?

and then, where's the problem some fans were comenting some weeks ago about Rachel appearing in this sequel, with Scott and Jean dead?

Its the same scenario at the end of the day.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  20. Legion

Legion Well-Known Member

Yea I'd say the time traveler would be someone who was surviving in the future world with Wolverine, Storm, and Magneto. Those characters die trying to get the time traveler to the past or are just too old to make the journey at that point.

21. Legion

Legion Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say since the first comic...the nature of time travel and the effects of changing the past were ambiguous to the characters and the reader. Rachel was a mystery because her mother was dead in our present and therefore could never conceive a child with Scott.

This suggested an alternate time line but as we know Jean Grey returned which left open that future's possibility. Ultimately though, Scott and Jean never had a girl.

22. Phoenix_Flare

Phoenix_Flare Well-Known Member

i just had a thought if the DoFP timeline is an alternate timeline, would it be possible if they were to travel to a different time period, like mid 70s-early 80s and by then Jean and Scott are already recruited??? that waywe don't need the explanation on they were recruited...

23. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

I would think the picture of the potential first page of the script for an X-men film would be headline-grabbing news around the net. At the very least even just on the superherohype website. Why isn't this being reported?? :huh:

24. blueserenity

blueserenity Well-Known Member

I can't believe more people aren't jumping on the fact that Singer declared these two in the movie when they were barely even approached about it. No signed contracts? No details, no scripts, no bloody FILMING dates?

Seems to me like Singer "let the cat out of the bag" for attention to his Twitter and nothing more (he complained to a temp a little over a month ago that he "didn't have enough followers". He had a little over 3,000 then. Now I think it's over 10,000). If the script is "finalized" and the time traveler is old!Charles and Patrick Stewart opts not to come back based on financial dispute or scheduling conflict, what is Singer planning to do? Do a quick rewrite? Or is he so arrogant that he just assumed Stewart/McKellen will say yes no matter what?

Filming begins in 4 months. Cutting this all pretty close. And the closer we get to it, it does indeed seem like a big Singer & Friends reunion. "Hey Bryan, what am I going to be doing in this film?" "LOL I dunno yet Ian but there's got to be room for you somewhere buddy!"
    It'd be nice to hear what some of the FIRST CLASS folk know or feel about this film.

I will never understand the massive fanboy crowd with their endless love for Singer. There are so many better directors and comic directors out there. He should not be left in charge of the creative aspects (or hiring aspects, apparently) of a film.

25. Snikt

Snikt Well-Known Member

You're entitled to your opinion, but you have seemed very negative about this whole film so far :csad:.

While I agree it NOT a good move for Singer to announce Patrick and Ian without them having actually signed on, it doens't make him an arrogant @$$

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.