Buffy Season 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was awhile back Jos said it. I am not sure if it was his fav character in general. But he loved to write her on the show cause it wa th speaking style of the character and how it allowed him to best expressed his thougtson humanity.

Joss didn't like Illyria as much as he loved Amy Acker. I remember he was planning, if there had been a sixth season, that'd she either play both Fred and Illyria (double role), or Fred would be able to turn into Illyria or somesuch mumbo jumbo.

It was that Amy was going to have a double role. Willow was going to split them apart.

That would've been nice. I love Amy Acker too, but as a character, Illyria's just not that interesting. The novelty of her Lovecraftian origins wore off right about the second she stepped through that portal and found her armies scattered and her realm in ruins, and then she just kind of became a lost soul attached to Wesley. Then Wesley died and everything with her since then has been awful.

Season 8 turned to ass half-way through. I'm a little disappointed Dark Horse have re-aquired Angel as now all his stories will be linked into the awful Twilight arc.

Read an interview with Joss saying he's toning down everything for season 9 and having it feel more like the show. I was really happy to hear that. Things got a bit too crazy in season 8.

Really looking forward to season 9. Mostly to see how Faith helps Angel get his **** together. I also hope some Angel characters come over. Don't want them to be suddenly forgotten.

The Willow stuff will be good to hopefully.

I think Faith will most likely be in Angel's book rather than season 9. They'll crossover maybe? But I really think that's what the set up is as of now.

This was probably my favorite issue since it felt like the show finally. And glad that Joss fessed up to getting a little ahead of himself with his excitment of having no budget and going crazy with the series. Season 9 should be good.

I think Faith will most likely be in Angel's book rather than season 9. They'll crossover maybe? But I really think that's what the set up is as of now.
God, I would love that. Faith and Angel work way better together than Faith and Buffy.

Anyway, I read the "Twilight" trade. Surprisingly not as s***ty as I expected. Really silly with all the space-f***ing, but overall pretty decent. I just have to wait for "Last Gleaming" to finish and pick up that trade now.

Pretty good. But I have gotten so used to Georges that it would be strange seeing a new artist on the book.

And I hope they get Stephen Mooney to do the Angel series. Out of all the Angel comic artists I think he's been the best.

Last edited:
So I heard Willow was a big old bag of wrong in issue 40.

Isaacs' faces look a bit odd in some panels there, but overall she's pretty good.

As for Mooney, what little I can find online indicates he's definitely the best of Angel's bad bunch.

Nice. Angel totally needs to just have a sword all the time. He becomes like 10 times cooler when he's got a broadsword or a katana or something. Leave the axes to Groo (who should totally be a regular cast member for the next season).

Faith was pretty great this issue. I didn't think Willow was too bad, either. She's surprisingly not very F-U to Buffy about the whole Buffy destroying all magic thing. She's a little F-U, but not a lot.

But also, where the frak is Andrew?

So Season 8 is done and I might as well say a few words. Great start. Great moments throughout. But marred by a very real lack of focus that bogged everything down when it was time to lift it all up. Joss has mentioned that the mistake in this season was to make things too epic while neglecting the down-to-earth "peeps." I halfway disagree with that. I think the book went too epic in the wrong ways and focused on the wrong peeps.

I mean, look, the Harmony issue was funny, but in retrospect no one gives a ****. That entire thing could have been done in a single page. The new Slayers needed far more TLC than they got. Who are these girls? What the hell do they do day in and day out? The entire organization gets broken up in this issue and I don't think that a single f**k was given because we never got any organization to speak of. In retrospect, the stuff focusing on the nameless Buffy-decoy from "The Chain" and Satsu and the BKV-written Faith-in-Britain issues were some of the most interesting parts of the season, partially because it give an identity to the Slayer army. It's actually ridiculous that we're still calling it the "Slayer army" because they never had an official name.

As for the epic, you got this entirely cool new cosmology with the Seed of Wonder being the heart of this entire world and it's at war with a whole new world...except we're getting this at the very last minute...and the Seed is a literal little football thing that's just floating there in the temple waiting for anyone to come along and smash it at their leisure? This is the heart of all magic, brosefs. It should not be a football. It feels crazy wrong. And, okay, Buffy's new powers are a key to the new world, Twilight, coming in and destroying everything but...she's gonna do it by space-****ing? There's nothing wrong with an unlimited budget, Joss, not even for this show...the wrong is entirely in how you use it. There's probably more to say but I think we get the gist of it.

I think I would definitely like Isaacs over Jeanty for season 9. :up:

Whoever they get, I hope they're just good comic artists. Angel's problem was that they got a lot of artists who could not tell a story to save their lives. It was ridiculous.

Cliff Richards should do season 9. Always liked his Buffy work.

You know what'd be awesome? If someone like Cliff Chiang were hired to do season 9 in kind of an animated series style.

Just looking at the parallels between the first issue and issue 40 is fun. Going from high tech Buffy fighting the huge demons and jumping from helicopters to normal everyday Buffy figthing the everyday vampire and jumping around allies and rooftops.

But i cant wait to start seeing Jo Chens covers (would love if they gave her enough lead time to do an entire issue)

And since S8 has been such a huge success I am surprised Darkhorse/Fox havent tried to get an animated DTV going to captialize on it.

I hope there's a Buffy/Angel crossover, even though it'll be missing a few key characters because of IDW's shenanigans.

There better be a crossover. Ive been waiting for one since Angel first got his spinoff. It just sucks that all of Angels cast is basically gone anyway so it wouldnt involve that many Fang Gangers.

Yeah, it'd be a crossover featuring most of your Buffy favorites--Buffy, Xander, Willow, Dawn, Spike, and maybe a few others--and the tattered remains of Angel Investigations--Angel, Illyria, Connor... and that's about it. Maybe they can call in Groo and Kate to pinch-hit. :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"