Cage to Star in Proyas' Knowing

7/10

This wasn't too bad of a movie. The acting was good and the plot was decent. I always enjoy watching these end of the world movies. They bring a lot of suspense to the table. I would say the movie is equal to The Day After Tomorrow as far as ratings go. It might even be slightly ahead.

I haven't seen it yet, but they say the f/x work is very well done...I did see the plane crash in the commercials which looks pretty crazy.

The more I think about this movie, the more interesting its story becomes to me.

Heck, in a world filled with so much uncertainty, mystery, alternative theories, and religion, this movie almost combines elements of everything and gives you, what I believe, to be somewhat a plausible, albeit slightly fantastical possibility which can, if analyzed, offer some degree of intelligent discussion.

Most people will take such offense to the movie that they won't even try to be entertained by it.

Exactly. I thought the ending was pretty bold and daring. They could have gone with the whole hollywood happy ending, but they kept to its core as a traditional and original ending. Not on par to the ending to Planet of the Apes...but almost as interesting IMO.

Knowing probably wont win any best picture of the year awards,but it is definitely one of the most involving and interesting films of 2009 so far.
It's mysterious,haunting,and at times even biblical.
Most films collapse under the weight of so many various themes,but i would say Director Alex Proyas makes at least 85% of the themes work.
Nicolas Cage does a fine job as John Koestler a M.I.T proffesor and single father of Caleb (Chandler Canterbury) A time capsule is dug up 50 years after being placed in the ground at Calebs school.Within the capsuLe are drawings from students 50 years prior,of what 2009 might look like.Caleb receives the drawing paper on which was written a series of numbers in no particular order...or so it seems.John begins to decipher the numbers and slowly but surely discovers the numbers are the dates of every disaster to occur in the last 50 years.
His fellow proffesor and friend writes it off as someone playing a trick on him,or Johns mind still being clouded by the loss of his wife.
Of course John is determined to stop the disasters that havent occured yet ,and this puts him on his son on a path to,strange men in black,nebula stones, a mysterious mother and daughter,and heart stopping disasters.Whats the connection ? What does it all mean? where is this leading to?
I cant tell you that would be giving to much away.
There are some hokey moments,some serious scenes were kind of laughable and i had to question the actions of some of the characters at times but throught it all i was entertained.
Im still thinking of the images within the film and their meaning.
Scale of 1-10 an 8

The movie has shaky effects and such, but it is quite good. I'd give it an 8/10. Not up to par with The Crow or Dark City, but this film is interesting, kept me entertained, and built suspense well.

The movie has shaky effects and such, but it is quite good. I'd give it an 8/10. Not up to par with The Crow or Dark City, but this film is interesting, kept me entertained, and built suspense well.
I might see it, and bravo for your avy, it brings back good memories:hoboj:.

I might see it, and bravo for your avy, it brings back good memories:hoboj:.

Thanks. This is the best avy I've ever had :woot:

First time I saw that...couldn't stop laughing :hoboj:

My review:

Hoo boy, gather ‘round kids, do I have a tale to tell all of you! Okay, this story, called Knowing begins fifty looong years ago in Boston, Massachusetts, during those sleepy, innocent days of 1959. A recently opened elementary school there decided to take suggestions from its cheery students – kids were so much less lippy those days! - for how they should celebrate the inaugural semester. The best idea, posed by Lucinda Embry, the spooky girl at the back of the room, was to make a time capsule for future students to open. Well, everyone thought that idea was the cat’s pyjamas and began drawing adorably far-fetched visions of what the far-off year of 2009 would possibly look like. Except Lucinda. Apparently possessed, Lil’ Lucinda filled her entire sheet of paper with an endless string of numbers. A code, perhaps? Sadly though, the capsule burial ceremony got ugly when Lucinda disappeared, and was later discovered frantic and bloody-fingered, carving numbers into a closet door with her nails. Creepy, huh?

Time-warp! Now we’re in the modern day, where Nicolas Cage, playing an alcoholic, grieving astrophysics professor named John Koestler, teaches at a fantastical M.I.T. campus which, among many wonders, boasts almost zero Asian students. Having lost all faith in intelligent design and ordered determinism after the tragic death of his wife, John raises his rascally son Caleb (Chandler Canterbury) in a dilapidated house and coasts his lonely way through life. But – there’s always a “but”! – when Caleb, following the time capsule’s excavation, brings home Lucinda’s sheet of random numbers, John slowly realizes that each of the digit patterns corresponds to a real-life disaster. After surviving a horrendous plane crash, John recruits Lucinda’s daughter Diana, played by 28 Weeks Later’s Rose Byrne, to help him stop the disasters from a-happenin’. And then the aliens show up... Betcha didn’t see that comin’!

Produced and directed by visionary wunderkind Alex Proyas, who, in the past, bestowed upon us the artistically dazzling The Crow and Dark City, as well as the semi-successful I, Robot, Knowing aims for the stars, but barely clears the neighbour’s fence. My snarky comment aside, there are a number of great moments in this wonky paranoid thriller, such as the aforementioned airplane catastrophe, a hypnotic combination of CG and live action, which is one of the most arresting action sequences in recent history. Seriously, it’s that good. There’s also a cataclysmic subway crash and an apocalyptic forest fire, filled with frantic burning animals, that plays like dazzling eye-candy for the cynical and hard-to-please.

Oh, but sweet Sally Jupiter do you have to suffer to reach those moments. Aside from the films relentlessly dour tone, the plot and aforementioned alien business is truly cheesy. Looking like a Teutonic industrial metal band (“Nein! Inch Nails”, perhaps?), they frequently lurk in the background standing statue-still and looking ominous, but feel like tired leftovers from a bazillion horror and suspense films. Not to mention that their grand plan, when broken down, makes very little logical sense. Why involve little Lucinda in the first place?

The actors are decent to awful, with Cage turning in good to serviceable, if lacking in inspirationally weird, work. Rose Byrne, on the other hand, is tremendously pathetic. Often hysterical, screaming lines such as “WE HAVE TO SAVE THE CHILDREN!!!”, you’ll find yourself quickly rooting for her number to come up in Lil’ Lucinda’s lottery of numerical death. To be fair though, she does earn points for being on the receiving end of Cage’s creepiest romantic come-on since Next’s romantic scene with Jessica Biel.

The film looks pretty darn nice, though. And while I wondered why it was always necessary for John and Diana (along with the kids) to investigate every single creepy going-on in the dead of night – not to mention an early scene where the searchers could have just turned the lights on – Proyas films his pitch black night-scenes with a nice ethereal glow which gives it an otherworldly feel. Also, I feel compelled to acknowledge the score by Marco Beltrami, which is fairly subtle and haunting... Until the latter half of the picture, that is, when he doesn’t so much rip off Bernard Hermann’s Psycho theme, as haul the dearly deceased composer from the grave, attach strings to his extremities, and put on an unholy puppet show of creatively bankrupt mimicry.

Yet, despite the wildly sling-shotting quality of Knowing, I have a certain amount of fondness for the gong show I witnessed. It’s stunningly epic in scale, filled with A-level technical work and the occasional unforgettable image, and features an ending so staggeringly ambitious and bizarre that you have to admire the studio for having the balls to go through with it. Hopefully, newby studio Summit Entertainment realizes that spectacular effects can only go so far without a semi-coherent script. Because Knowing only wins half the battle...

2 out of 5

Last edited:
I'm writing this without reading any of the reviews. I thought the film was utterly ludicrous with some great moments, kinda like a decent X Files episode with a budget.

The plot holes are too numerous to mention them all but this film stretches "suspension of disbelief" to all new levels, characters don't react naturally to situations, the film expects us to believe that Nic Cage's character is the smartest man alive and that 2 kids are the best Massachusetts's has to offer, the film also was a testament to carpentry given that a key door in it had lasted 50 years, either that or it was a swipe at cheap budgeting in Massachusetts's schools.

Then we have the whispering men which in theory are cool but in the end are a huge blob of stupid sauce.
Hello aliens, it may be wise if you want to tell us something you use your technology to do it in a pleasant way instead of having whispering albinos driving ppl insane.

Credit to Proyas, visually the film is great, some of the scenes of carnage are very powerful and the big plane set piece is truly spectacular, he also keeps things ticking at a good pace and keeps the atmosphere eerie.

Cage does his best to circumvent the script and I think this is his best mainstream performance in a while, but the movie goes from making his character look a genius...
discovering the sun is about to kill us when everyone else in the world was late to the party.....
to being an idiot....
he is on the way to rescue his son from whispering albinos when he stops to have a calm conversation with Rose Byrne's corpse
.....So it's an uphill struggle, but hey this is his best hair movie in years! :up:

All in all the plot is swiss cheese holy and contrived beyond belief, but if you put your brain in neutral and accept it on it's own terms it is an entertaining...though not always for the right reasons....slice of hokum.

OH!.....Btw
very nice of the aliens to drop the kids off on Naboo!

6/10

I feel it had mistakes but the effects and Cage turned in a good acting job. The part with the Plane crash and subway collison was like what the. I feel a little more time was needed to explained more about the aliens here and why they relocate races. The final scene with Nic Cage and the bruning or the earth was one of the best i have seen in a film if ask me.
I would have liked to know what world they braught them too and if it was perminant.

I watched it today. I think it's more effective than "Signs" in how it incorporates Christianity with science fiction. I like how it gives its own slant on the Rapture without sucking up completely to faith. They don't fully explain how the 'Whisper Men' choose those they save but that's okay with me.

It's also as visually riveting as the remake of 'The Day the Earth Stood Still". In terms of behavior I don't know how people would really react in that situation. Cage's character was a widowed scientist who's the estranged son of a pastor. If I recall the theory, if the Sun was to suddenly flare like that we wouldn't know about it until the last moment anyway. So sucks to science. It got really deep in an awkward way. But I liked it anyway.

I'll probably catch this after I see Watchmen for a 3rd time, I love Proyas and like Cage despite his recent output.

I think this movie was a lot more effective because it didn't overload in symbolism and well-placed information. Both films have disturbing endings, but I was less annoyed with 'Knowing'.

Rose Byrne, on the other hand, is tremendously pathetic. Often hysterical, screaming lines such as “WE HAVE TO SAVE THE CHILDREN!!!”, you’ll find yourself quickly rooting for her number to come up in Lil’ Lucinda’s lottery of numerical death. To be fair though, she does earn points for being on the receiving end of Cage’s creepiest romantic come-on since Next’s romantic scene with Jessica Biel.

2 out of 5

This has to be the 2nd role she's played where helping children gets her killed. What's up with that? Darn kids.

Just saw this with a crowd who thinks like me = Nic Cage is good for laughs. So, Knowing was fun Nic Cage laughfest, but as a real movie? Quite the facepalm, I'd say. Maybe not, if you love [BLACKOUT]Jesus[/BLACKOUT].

I kinda feel sorry for Proyas. After two excellent films he made three bad ones. I'm not really waiting for Dracula Year Zero...

How was it funny? Forget the religious angle. It's not like we got Tom Cruise spouting Scientology.

Last edited:
I like Proyas, but I try to stay as far away from Nicholas Cage movies as possible.

I'm not missing anything good am I?

I like Proyas, but I try to stay as far away from Nicholas Cage movies as possible.

I'm not missing anything good am I?

I don't see anything wrong with his movies. I mean some aren't worth watching, but others hold their ground. I love the movies Face/Off, Con-Air, National Treasure, The Rock and City Of Angels. The rest are kinda meh.

Quite the facepalm, I'd say. Maybe not, if you love [BLACKOUT]Jesus[/BLACKOUT].
I don't love [BLACKOUT]Jesus[/BLACKOUT], I don't think he ever existed, but I loved this movie. :p

It was everything The Day The Earth Stood Still should have been, and wasn't.

How was it funny? Forget the religious angle. It's not like we got Tom Cruise spouting Scientology.
If Nicolas Cage's face and his "acting" doesn't make you wanna laugh, I don't know what will.

If Nicolas Cage's face and his "acting" doesn't make you wanna laugh, I don't know what will.

Usually Americans imitating British accents will do it. Or American productions of 'sword and sandal' films. Like that movie "Troy" - that was worthy of a pie in their faces. :woot:

Finally got round to seeing this movie last night and actually REALLY enjoyed it, dont know how it got the critical rating it did (I would have thought it was at least worth 50% on RT) and the movie was brave and tried different things, especially the ending which was heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time.

The main characters did act dumb at times yes, but overall I thought the acting and writing were decent. And the disaster scene's were top notch.

7.5/10 for me. I will say it is Proyas's worst mainstream movie so far though.

Just watched this on Blu-ray today and the format does reallt give this movie quite the boost, the picture is astonishing and the sound is the best I have heard from a Blu-Ray yet (though I am extremely new to the format).

The disaster scene's, especially the plane crash and landing, are astonishing in Blu-Ray. Its also probably the closest we are going to get to a big screen and big budget adaptation of a Dean Koontz novel.

If i can be blunt..... biggest load of ****ing **** i've sat down to watch in a long time......

Damn glad i wasn't the one to shell out the cash to watch it either.

If you haven't seen it yet.... dont bother.

0/10.... gave it 1/10 in the poll, but that was only cuz that was the lowest option.

^I didnt think it was that bad, it is Proyas's worst mainstream movie so far definately, but it had some superb moments and on Blu-ray it looks and sounds astonishing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"