The Dark Knight Rises Can anybody in the League of Shadows become 'Batman'?

Polaris23

Sidekick
Reaction score
Ideals and morals aside, Batman and Bane both had the same training, even Ra's.

Last edited:
Just because we don't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Yeah, he's gone for 7 years training and discovering the criminal mind. It's only within that last year that he gains an affiliation with the League. Even then, he and Ra's already seemed to have a unique understanding about justice and criminality. Ra's even goes as far as to call Bruce his finest student.

Ideals and morals aside, Batman and Bane both had the same training, even Ra's.

This is something that always threw me off about Nolan's Batman. The only real training Bruce Wayne ever got was from the League of Shadows. The comics Batman also travelled the world to study under different cultures, practices, and also studied other means of fighting crime (or at least, it's implied). However in Nolan's world it almost feels as if Bruce becomes Batman as soon as he comes up with the idea.

Batman's gadgets are all motivated by the same fighting techniques used by the LOS, theatricality, deception, distraction, disappearing, etc. so in a way, the LOS is making duplicate Batmans all the time.

Ideals and morals aside. Right there is your answer. No one had the same ideals and morals as Bruce had, so no...no one in the League can become Batman. Simply put.

"Can anyone in the League of Shadows become Batman?"

Yeah sure, as long as you think all it takes to become Batman is a couple of years of ninja training, which is essentially means that you're implying Batman is defined solely by his skills and nothing else. Which is absurd.

Isn't it sort of implied that Bruce traveled the world? Ra's found him in Asia after all.

But being Batman takes more than training. It helps to be a multi-billionaire, with a corporation providing you gadgets and vehicles.

If we're talking strictly training, Bruce had 6-7 years of additional training prior to meeting Ras. He knew multiple kinds of martial arts. That said, "Training is nothing! Will is everything!"

Just Training, Money and Skills are not enough, there has to be a really strong motivation to continue as Batman.

Whoever becomes Batman will have an extremely rough life.

To answer the question....

Hell no. (or maybe what i should be saying is..anybody CAN become Batman, but Batman is a huge choice to make. And a very different choice when you compare it to the League of Shadows and how they do things).

Anybody can be Batman, but will they? Only Bruce was able to because of his past and because of the road he took on his way out of Asia. Different mentality.

Last edited:
Bruce also had extensive martial arts training prior to his Los ninja training, as evidenced by his fight in the prison and ras naming off different moves when Bruce first makes it to the temple.

But as shauner and anno said, others could physically be batman, but none of them probably would be, because of idealic differences.

Kinda helps to see your parents murdered in front of you too. Bruce's insane devotion to and obsession with fighting crime was birthed at this moment which is something I'm sure no other member of the LOS can understand. But interestingly, we get a taste of Ras' backstory about how he lost his family (or so we think until TDKR), so he has many similar emotions that Bruce has which makes him a formidable adversary.

Guess not everyone. :oldrazz:

jonathan-crane-02.jpg

Coolness. My friend, an "Anti-Batman" was trying to prove to me that all it takes to be Batman is money and training. I needed y'all to back me up to shut him up ^_^

*copy + pastes link*

I can. I'm his son, that makes the rest of you wasted opportunities. :o

Apparently if you're a morally preachy Cop you can be.

@OP: No. They can become a ridiculously efficient killing machine if they have the will to do so.

Blake wasn't anymore morally preachy than Bruce was in BB. They went through the same moral gauntlet before taking up the mantle.

If they have money then of course they can.

Which is why I never liked the "90% of skills come from brief ninja training" origin.

It should take an entire childhood and early adulthood lost to top level training under the world's greatest trackers, fighters, spys, bomb experts, escape artist, detectives, etc. mixed with superior genetics and endless funding to even have a chance of being anywhere near Batman.

Not just several months in the Mystical Ninja Mountains.

It should take an entire childhood and early adulthood lost to top level training under the world's greatest trackers, fighters, spys, bomb experts, escape artist, detectives, etc. mixed with superior genetics and endless funding to even have a chance of being anywhere near Batman.

Exactly, most of the replies in this thread are taking the question too literally. Beliefs and tragedy aside, Bruce was basically a really good ninja with the resources of a billionaire. I love this trilogy (Well, I love BB and TDK, kinda/sorta like TDKR), but the detective/scientist aspect of Batman was never emphasized enough. I always felt like Nolan's Batman was just a really good fighter/ninja; This doesn't totally encompass the character IMO

Does everyone in the LOS have the kind of money and tech Bruce Wayne has?

Ra's did say Bruce was the best student he's ever had, too.

Speaking of the League of Shadows, what happened to their ninja training? They were beaten in hand to hand combat against impoverished policemen and women. I guess Bane's unit didn't receive ninja training and are no better than the average militia men. Perhaps Bane is a bad teacher and didn't have the perseverance of Ras.

If they have money then of course they can.

Which is why I never liked the "90% of skills come from brief ninja training" origin.

How does money mean jack when Robin Blake had a cop salary and now has no salary as far as we know with quitting the police force? Having a massive array of tech and what not indeed does help, but money didn't make the Batman.

And as well as the fact that Bruce Wayne took out 7-8 prisoners WITHOUT training from the League of Shadows. The training by Ra's only helped, but it was not the League that made Bruce a well-defined fighter.

Anyone will misinterpret Nolan's Batman if they think the League of Shadows' training is what made Bruce able to become Batman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"