First Avenger Can Captain America make more money than TIH?

Seeing as how it's the first truely official Captain America movie ignoring the 90's one the audience will be interested as Cap is almost as famous as Spidey and Hulk. It will definitely make more than TIH maybe even reach Iron Man's numbers but it won't make as much as Spider-Man.

Why are you in the Captain America boards if you think he's boring and the villains are boring?

I could honestly see it not making quite as much. I mean CA is a name so I see over 100mil regardless of how good it looks but I could easily see this as one of those 110mil disappointments. It's going to depend of the previews and marketing and buzz though.

I mean most thought that The Karate Kid was going to tank and it's going to make over 150mil atleast. Never count a movie out completely.

Also it doesn't matter if Evans is a draw, what matters is if a good/entertaining to most movie is made and marketed well. Tom Cruise is a draw but (I'm not counting the movie out until I see it's weekend numbers and then it's legs) Knight and Day isn't doing to hot right now, it's going to be very lucky to get over 100mil at the rate it's going. Not great for a Summer movie that cost more than that to make and is headlined by an A-lister. Movie stars matter but lets not pretend that they matter as much as they used to, the concept is the most important thing.

I find the thing about box office draws funny.

During this decade there was a shift in Hollywood. A-listers are no longer sure things for high grossing movies. It became more about effects or stories than stars now. More films with A-listers are tanking and even bombing now.

yea you never know how a film is going to go. i do hope it is enough of a sucess for marvel studios, and its a good film.

I just hope that it's better than Iron Man 2, I have the same hope for Thor. It could bomb but if I like it, everything is A-okay to me. I mean I still love talking about the boxoffice and all but I'm not going to kid myself about whats really important.

I don't think that this Summer has been s**t because of the lame boxoffice numbers I think that it has been s**t because of the lame movies.

Iron Man 2: 5.5/10

Prince of Persia: 7/10

The A-Team: 1.5/10 (I knew I should have seen the Karate Kid as it actually looked good. I have no one but myself to blame for seeing this turd. I would have walked out but I didn't drive myself to the theater and the kids seemed to enjoy it so even if I had I wouldn't have forced them to walk out. Man did I hate this f**king movie, I mean I really hated this f**king movie.)

Inception can't come soon enough! Hopefully 2011 is better but on paper it doesn't really look much better. Hopefully it surprises me and movies like Captain America are actually better than okay.

yea me too really do hope box office wise they are good films. and they have a good story and action and all that. But on another hand i dont really bother with reviews and critics.

TIH won't stand a chance, once CA hits the screen. Comic book movies are a whole different monster in comparison to just 2-3 years ago.

Captain America will make more money due to the fact that this is the first Cap film since the early 90's one, TIH came out a few years after the Ang Lee Hulk film, people felt like TIH would have been the somewhat the same although the film did do slightly better than the 03 version. TIH and 03 Hulk both had big budgets and good effects, TIH had more action and 03 Hulk had more story. Cap will be given justice due to the fact that a majority of the cast are pretty well established actors, given that we know that Cap will take place in the 40's will give off a different feel from the other Marvel films

all i want is the film to have a good story, treat the characters right and have a decent box off pull for its whole runs.

Is it me or has no SH film met BO expectations post TDK? Some have very healthy grosses but have not reached the heights they could have.

umm.... several have turned around and went higher then expected. Blade/X2/spider-man 1 and 2/Iron man all went above and beyond box office expectations. Other's like X1/spidey3/blade 2 and 3/ daredevil/ironman 2 etc... met expectations.

others like elektra did not.

Absolutely the Cap movie will make more than TIH. The only way this movie doesn't do it is if it absolutely sucks which I highly doubt.

well i dont see how any film that at leasts make 200-400mill in total box office run is a bad amount. That is very good numbers i would say. So if capt makes at least 200+ us/ and additional 150+ internationally the film will probably be a far sucess. And how is any of the current marvel studios films flops. They have been pretty fair in box office numbers.

umm.... several have turned around and went higher then expected. Blade/X2/spider-man 1 and 2/Iron man all went above and beyond box office expectations. Other's like X1/spidey3/blade 2 and 3/ daredevil/ironman 2 etc... met expectations.

others like elektra did not.

He said post TDK, IM2 would be the only on your list that is post-TDK.

I think this film will do well. The first week or so I believe will draw crowds because its:
1. a Marvel film
2. another Marvel connected with the "Avengers"(with Thor, IM,IM2 and TIH, the GA will get the Avengers connection by the time Cap's released)
3. Its a big name hero.

If the film is actually good, it will stay strong past the first few weeks. If its not that good, those three reasons above will let is succeed for a few weeks, IMO.

As for this summer, Toy Story 3 was fantastic, A-Team was entertaining(I'm a huge fan of the show, so I'm biased), Get Him to the Greek was funny, IM2 was entertaining. TS3 was the only film I enjoyed that was actually a good quality film, but the rest were entertaining, even though they weren't really, strong films.

I think Cap is more iconic and since he is newer to the big screen, I see Cap making IM2 money. I think it'll beat TIH easily, even if it doesn't out perform IM2. Internationally, it may not beat IM2. Domestically, I think it will.

Sorry but Evans isn't really a box office draw, the director is terribly average, and Cap has boring powers and villains.

This will be another A-team, lucky to cross a hundred million in the US.

I kinda agree. Cap has never been a real big appealing character. Who is this film being marketed towards, kids? Most nowadays have hardly ever heard of him. Unlike Iron Man, Spider-Man and Hulk, Cap has never had a cartoon series dedicated solely to him that ppl today can say "Hey, they're making a movie about Cap. America; i used to love that cartoon". I know he had a 60's series, but who remembers that, other than the hardcore Cap fans?

So, who will this movie be marketed towards? Obviously not kids, as i've pointed out why. The fans maybe? Or the general audience between the ages of 12-25?

I say they have to really market the hell out of this movie, because if they don't it could do even less than Hulk, who is a much more popular character to everyone.

Maybe it will... I don't know how TIH can not be considered a flop when it failed to do anything more than Ang Lee's movie for the character in the public's eye, so Marvel is capable of disappointing twice. We just have to wait and see. I don't see this movie coasting to 250 and change unless it is that good. Probably won't if I had to guess.

I kinda agree. Cap has never been a real big appealing character. Who is this film being marketed towards, kids? Most nowadays have hardly ever heard of him. Unlike Iron Man, Spider-Man and Hulk, Cap has never had a cartoon series dedicated solely to him that ppl today can say "Hey, they're making a movie about Cap. America; i used to love that cartoon". I know he had a 60's series, but who remembers that, other than the hardcore Cap fans?

So, who will this movie be marketed towards? Obviously not kids, as i've pointed out why. The fans maybe? Or the general audience between the ages of 12-25?

I say they have to really market the hell out of this movie, because if they don't it could do even less than Hulk, who is a much more popular character to everyone.

I don't think Cap is a difficult character to grasp. You telling me ten year old kids will be confused with the stars and stripes and go, "Captain Canada maybe??? Not sure..." The costume is universal. It symbolizes America. A kid in Africa will go, "America man... Captain USA". As far as marketing, no it won't be marketed to a Transformers type crowd, even though that was still PG-13. It will be more 12 and up, or maybe 10 and up, just like Iron Man and TIH. A little above Spidey/TF's level, but still dealing with more mature themes.

Last edited:
it's really hard to say

on the one hand, it's the final piece to the puzzle before The Avengers, anyone overseas that's been paying attention to Marvel Studio's movieverse will want to see it for that reason alone

of course, on the other hand his name could hinder the box office draw and it being crammed between a bunch of A-List movies doesn't help either.

it could go either way, I definitley won't say it'll do worse than TIH, it'll at least match it if not do better

A REAL Cap film will be box office gold.

A muted Cap film where he's "not a flag waver" that takes the coward's way out and plays it to a liberal slant will bomb badly. It's all about quality and PR and if Cap ignores his roots and shies away from American exceptionalism especially during "the greatest generation" then the PR will explode in a negative manner and the film will fizzle.

That Johnson interview should have everyone worried at this point.

A REAL Cap film will be box office gold.

A muted Cap film where he's "not a flag waver" that takes the coward's way out and plays it to a liberal slant will bomb badly. It's all about quality and PR and if Cap ignores his roots and shies away from American exceptionalism especially during "the greatest generation" then the PR will explode in a negative manner and the film will fizzle.

That Johnson interview should have everyone worried at this point.

I think you've over reacting a bit. It seems to me that by "not a flag waver" he means "not a mindless deluded jingoist." He went on in that interview to say that Cap is going to be a man who wanted to serve his country simply because he is a good person and it's the right thing to do, and that he's going to have to struggle with having to both serve as a symbol for the very best of America and maintain his own identity and stay true to his own moral convictions underneath the mask. And that pretty much describes Captain America in a nutshell. He loves America and he believes very strongly in the ideas put forth by it's constitution and declaration of independence, and it's because he believes this that he is both the first person to criticize the President for doing something insane, or the Legislature for passing a law that benefits the elite instead of the people, or the military for favoring pragmatism over morality, and the fist to defend this country from unwarranted and unreasonable attacks on it's ideals and character, as well as literal attacks.

That's the vibe I got from the interview. At least, the vibe I got from that interview was that we're going to get a young idealistic kid from Brookline who gets thrust into a role of responsibility and grows into that guy. And that's Captain America, as far as I'm concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"